The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Mon May 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Platopus wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
I could be wrong but I thought 165-170 was up while 171+ was way down. A generous curve would be nice though (as long as the test plays to my strengths...).


I checked it out here: ==error==/2016-2 ... f-5-19-17/


Very interesting, the 170 is up, but pretty much everything else is down above 170. Right now, this is bad for us, since we don't have that 175+ yet. But if you do manage to score above 175, it seems like there are much fewer applicants, thus making them more desirable. This also explains the drop in medians. There are simply less scores out there, and so doesn't necessarily reflect on the school.


I think we're both good for a 175+ on a good day, but even 171+ is pretty rarefied air. It is odd that 170 is way up (177 as well), yet everything around it is down.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Mon May 29, 2017 9:53 pm

zkyggi wrote:
Platopus wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
I could be wrong but I thought 165-170 was up while 171+ was way down. A generous curve would be nice though (as long as the test plays to my strengths...).


I checked it out here: /


Very interesting, the 170 is up, but pretty much everything else is down above 170. Right now, this is bad for us, since we don't have that 175+ yet. But if you do manage to score above 175, it seems like there are much fewer applicants, thus making them more desirable. This also explains the drop in medians. There are simply less scores out there, and so doesn't necessarily reflect on the school.


I think we're both good for a 175+ on a good day, but even 171+ is pretty rarefied air. It is odd that 170 is way up (177 as well), yet everything around it is down.


I seriously wonder if it has anything to do with the virus game. Presumably there would be many people applying with their Sept. 2016 score, and from what I understand that game was certainly difficult enough to knock some potential 175+ scores down to a 170ish range. Pure speculation, of course. But makes me feel a little better about devoting some of my time to redoing some of the weirder games from the earlier tests.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon May 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Walliums wrote:So in general what's everyone's plan these next few weeks? I'm grieving over these scores today (lol), but otherwise with 79 and 80 left I'm at a bit of a loss.


I think I need to take a couple days off, my brain feels a little jumbled, but at this point I'm super hesitant to do so.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 30, 2017 12:06 am

Checking in from today's PT.

PT 72
173
RC: -4 (finally back down below 5, hoping last week's tests were just a bad week)
LR1: -2
LR2: -3
LG: -0

Knew 3 of my LR questions were wrong b/c I had eliminated every answer choice. Turned out I was attacking the *wrong* flaw in all three questions. Oops.

I still feel like the RC passages have been wayyyy more dense over the past few tests than what I'm used to. I'm of the opinion that RC in tests 70-74 are the most difficult I've ever seen (including newer ones). Still hoping for hard games/easy rc on test day.

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Tue May 30, 2017 12:41 am

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby tuna_wasabi » Tue May 30, 2017 1:03 am

dm1683 wrote:
Amerision wrote:Ohhh, god. Took PT 79 today even though I was feeling like shit. Did decent in LR and LG (viruses got me -2) but RC... man I don't even know what to say. 8 don't care how bad I feel, I should never go -7 in any section ever. I guess I'll try blind reviewing it? Ended up with a 167 and a bruised ego.


I guess we all took hits today. Took PT 75 and got 170. -6 RC. Some answers in that section are so absurd I can't even comprehend them. Take 2.11. How tf is the answer C? In the passage it literally says "Therefore, [answer choice B]. Accordingly, [stimulus]." And yet the inference you're supposed to make is supposed to be from the second fucking paragraph? #22 is another ridiculous one. The passage says that "until the nineteenth century, [a certain practice was common]" Meaning that the practice continued up until the nineteenth century, and changed during that century. But apparently the right answer is B instead of A?

Anyway,

PT 75

LR: -0
RC: -6
LR2: -2
LG: -2

170


Also took PT 75 on Friday.

LR 1: -1
LR 2: -4 (including one circling error because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
LG: 0
RC: -3
Score: 172

Experimentals:
PT 14.4 (LR): -3
PT 15.4 (LG): 0

Notes: First time I did PT two days after the previous one (gonna be the last time too). LG: Pretty straightforward. LR: Around 4 mistakes can be avoided. I still think that I was right for 14.4 Q21, but ok. RC: Finished the section feeling pretty well, did BR and was ambivalent about maybe 1 question, checked the answer key and figured I got 3 questions wrong (among which are Q.11 and Q.16). What was that?! :shock:

What the hell is that curve?!

I definitely feel a shift in LR for the most recent 70's. Some assumption questions are downright brutal, and the weaken/strengthen questions become more subtle. I don't think they are harder than earlier PTs per se, but there's a difference that I couldn't exactly pinpoint between PT 60s and PT 70s. To get this score after slowly but steadily improving to scoring 175+ consistently makes me want to just burn my LSAT books and give up.

Need to review all the hard LR questions. Could anyone PM me how the LG games in Superprep 1 and Superprep 2 are?

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Tue May 30, 2017 9:18 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:Checking in from today's PT.

PT 72
173
RC: -4 (finally back down below 5, hoping last week's tests were just a bad week)
LR1: -2
LR2: -3
LG: -0

Knew 3 of my LR questions were wrong b/c I had eliminated every answer choice. Turned out I was attacking the *wrong* flaw in all three questions. Oops.

I still feel like the RC passages have been wayyyy more dense over the past few tests than what I'm used to. I'm of the opinion that RC in tests 70-74 are the most difficult I've ever seen (including newer ones). Still hoping for hard games/easy rc on test day.


Took PT 72 on Saturday
169
RC: -8 (3rd passage ate my lunch money, I guessed on the entire last passage without even reading it because I only had 3 minutes left when I got there)
LR1: -3
LR2: -2
LG: -1 (Had 7 minutes left to go back and check the rule replacement question and still got it wrong! Ha, just a dumb fluke)

Similarly, I am hoping for 2 strange games and easy RC. Sorry all of you who can't math :p

User avatar
it's allgood

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby it's allgood » Tue May 30, 2017 10:36 am

lynn.wibi wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Amerision wrote:Ohhh, god. Took PT 79 today even though I was feeling like shit. Did decent in LR and LG (viruses got me -2) but RC... man I don't even know what to say. 8 don't care how bad I feel, I should never go -7 in any section ever. I guess I'll try blind reviewing it? Ended up with a 167 and a bruised ego.


I guess we all took hits today. Took PT 75 and got 170. -6 RC. Some answers in that section are so absurd I can't even comprehend them. Take 2.11. How tf is the answer C? In the passage it literally says "Therefore, [answer choice B]. Accordingly, [stimulus]." And yet the inference you're supposed to make is supposed to be from the second fucking paragraph? #22 is another ridiculous one. The passage says that "until the nineteenth century, [a certain practice was common]" Meaning that the practice continued up until the nineteenth century, and changed during that century. But apparently the right answer is B instead of A?

Anyway,

PT 75

LR: -0
RC: -6
LR2: -2
LG: -2

170


Also took PT 75 on Friday.

LR 1: -1
LR 2: -4 (including one circling error because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
LG: 0
RC: -3
Score: 172

Experimentals:
PT 14.4 (LR): -3
PT 15.4 (LG): 0

Notes: First time I did PT two days after the previous one (gonna be the last time too). LG: Pretty straightforward. LR: Around 4 mistakes can be avoided. I still think that I was right for 14.4 Q21, but ok. RC: Finished the section feeling pretty well, did BR and was ambivalent about maybe 1 question, checked the answer key and figured I got 3 questions wrong (among which are Q.11 and Q.16). What was that?! :shock:

What the hell is that curve?!

I definitely feel a shift in LR for the most recent 70's. Some assumption questions are downright brutal, and the weaken/strengthen questions become more subtle. I don't think they are harder than earlier PTs per se, but there's a difference that I couldn't exactly pinpoint between PT 60s and PT 70s. To get this score after slowly but steadily improving to scoring 175+ consistently makes me want to just burn my LSAT books and give up.

Need to review all the hard LR questions. Could anyone PM me how the LG games in Superprep 1 and Superprep 2 are?


I wouldn't give up!!! Because your progress is really inspiring a I love your posts! And I had a similar experience with 75 but found that reviewing the LR ?s that I missed really helped me understand how the newer tests are testing us in more nuanced ways. I found it really helpful to re-type the LR ?s I missed and then reviewed them daily until I understood what was confusing me/tricking me. Then I bought another copy of the test and copied it and took it three more times, one day after another. It really helped me to not be afraid of the newer tests. It really is better to have this experience now and learn from it because there is still time before the test day to increase skills that are helpful with the newer tests!!! I highly recommend taking the time to learn from what you missed and not worrying about the score!!!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 pm

.
Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Did PT 38 (October '02) today
LR1: -0
LR2: -2
LG: -1
RC: -1

178 scaled. This caught me by surprise, because my previous best is a 169. I've been drilling the hell out of LG, but is there a chance this is an example of a 15 year old test being markedly easier than the current versions?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Did PT 38 (October '02) today
LR1: -0
LR2: -2
LG: -1
RC: -1

178 scaled. This caught me by surprise, because my previous best is a 169. I've been drilling the hell out of LG, but is there a chance this is an example of a 15 year old test being markedly easier than the current versions?


That probably could account for some of it, IMHO the 30s had some pretty tough games but really easy RC and LR, so for someone who is really good at LG like yourself those tests could play to your strengths more than recent ones. But at the end of the day a 178 is still an excellent score and MUCH higher than a 169, congrats!

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:Did PT 38 (October '02) today
LR1: -0
LR2: -2
LG: -1
RC: -1

178 scaled. This caught me by surprise, because my previous best is a 169. I've been drilling the hell out of LG, but is there a chance this is an example of a 15 year old test being markedly easier than the current versions?


38 is probably 1-2 easier than many (it was for me at least). But it's pretty similar in difficulty to say PT 73. Did you also take 36, that one is more difficult.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Tue May 30, 2017 10:56 pm

PT 69
LR 1: -4
LG: -1
RC: -2
LR 2: -1

Scaled ---> 173

Not very happy with it. LR 1 literally missed the last 4 in the section, and it caught me way by surprise since I thought I literally aced that section. LG probably should've been -0 since I had about 7 minutes left in the section, but I just wasn't taking it as seriously as I should have, so I didn't review any answers. RC & LR 2 felt pretty good, but still a bit surprised. I thought I really killed this test.... :oops:

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Platopus wrote:PT 69
LR 1: -4
LG: -1
RC: -2
LR 2: -1

Scaled ---> 173

Not very happy with it. LR 1 literally missed the last 4 in the section, and it caught me way by surprise since I thought I literally aced that section. LG probably should've been -0 since I had about 7 minutes left in the section, but I just wasn't taking it as seriously as I should have, so I didn't review any answers. RC & LR 2 felt pretty good, but still a bit surprised. I thought I really killed this test.... :oops:

Did you do any warmup? Other than the first section you did pretty solid.


I didn't, but I really don't think it was the issue, since I got 21 questions in a row correct before that... I honestly think I knew I was killing the test and just didn't really focus on the nuances on those last couple question. I just got complacent and careless. That sounds like such a bullshit excuse, but I think it was in part due to over confidence.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Walliums wrote:So in general what's everyone's plan these next few weeks? I'm grieving over these scores today (lol), but otherwise with 79 and 80 left I'm at a bit of a loss.


I think I need to take a couple days off, my brain feels a little jumbled, but at this point I'm super hesitant to do so.


Now or never... I vote take a couple days and recoup, it'll help & it's not like you're suddenly going to forget everything. "Getting through the material" is a means to an end, but by no means the only means. Taking a couple days off to perform at your peak is just as useful. If you don't feel like taking time off, get more sleep. I didn't do too hot on my PT today, but felt really focused and mentally refreshed after catching up on sleep over memorial day.

User avatar
InterLaw

Bronze
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby InterLaw » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 am

PT64 yesterday

LR1: -1 (good)
LG: -6 (COME ON..... I misinterpreted a rule reading the opposite of what was saying and thrown away 3-4 minutes for that, guessed the last 4 answers. How is that possible? For five tests I'm -0, then -6. Not the first time.)
LR2: -4 (ouch)
RC: -2 (wow)

170
Meh... I decided that all considered this is my target score on test day. Still a bit above average (169,5). Working on making it at least a bit below average.

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 am

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 am

After 3 days off, back to the grind. Gunna review PT80 and drill lg rc.
My 80 breakdown was distressing:
LR1 -3
RC-7
LG -1
LR -3

At least the LR was consistent. My goal is to miss 0 in games a 2 in each LR so I'm not that far off?

Idk what happened with rc

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 am

Took PT 73 last night after work. I always end up rushing to the library where I test at, and get started within 5 minutes, no warm up. Twice in a row this has resulted in a had time focusing, especially since the first section has been RC the past two times. That being said, her'es my results:

PT 73: Scaled 169
RC : -7
LR1: -4 (I missed #'s 9, 10, and 12....)
LG: -0 (Easiest LG to date?)
LR2: -3 (Missed 3 of the last 5)

I am overall happy with this. I haven't scored this well after a full days work. With some warm up I think this could have easily been a 172, which is my target score. Another interesting note, 4 of the 7 LR problems I got wrong were SA questions, so I will be drilling those tonight. Can't make time for a full PT the rest of the week, so I'm doing PT 80 on Saturday at 12:30. Keep working hard everyone, it's almost game day!

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby tuna_wasabi » Wed May 31, 2017 9:58 am

it's allgood wrote:I wouldn't give up!!! Because your progress is really inspiring a I love your posts! And I had a similar experience with 75 but found that reviewing the LR ?s that I missed really helped me understand how the newer tests are testing us in more nuanced ways. I found it really helpful to re-type the LR ?s I missed and then reviewed them daily until I understood what was confusing me/tricking me. Then I bought another copy of the test and copied it and took it three more times, one day after another. It really helped me to not be afraid of the newer tests. It really is better to have this experience now and learn from it because there is still time before the test day to increase skills that are helpful with the newer tests!!! I highly recommend taking the time to learn from what you missed and not worrying about the score!!!


Many thanks for this! I think this score is a good reminder to not be complacent and to review all the challenging questions again :D There's always a silver lining in everything

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

PTs 42-51 compared to the recent ones?

Postby tuna_wasabi » Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 am

Is there anything in PTs 42-51 that you think I should go through, e.g. specific passages, games, LR questions?

Given the time constraint, I was thinking of doing the following:
- PTs 78-80 tomorrow, Sunday, and Wednesday
- Review all the challenging LR questions from past PTs
- Redo challenging LG games
- Redo 5-6 RC (??)

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: PTs 42-51 compared to the recent ones?

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed May 31, 2017 11:49 am

lynn.wibi wrote:Is there anything in PTs 42-51 that you think I should go through, e.g. specific passages, games, LR questions?

Given the time constraint, I was thinking of doing the following:
- PTs 78-80 tomorrow, Sunday, and Wednesday
- Review all the challenging LR questions from past PTs
- Redo challenging LG games
- Redo 5-6 RC (??)

Id skip those

User avatar
Amerision

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:22 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Amerision » Wed May 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Feels terrible taking days off so close to the exam, but my head is hurting like a motherfucker. Only did two LGs and a LR section yesterday. Hopefully I'm feeling better tomorrow, so I can prep before PT 77 Friday.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
InterLaw

Bronze
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby InterLaw » Wed May 31, 2017 1:20 pm

PT65, best score in my palmares!

LR1: -4
LG: -2
RC: -0
LR2: -0
177

Now it's interesting to see that LR1, where I really struggled, is rated by 7sage easy (1/5), while like RC, which I took third, is hard (4/5), and even the last LR is harder than the first one.
Super disappointed for the two stupid LG's errors, but I finally feel in the mood!
12 days to go folks! 8)



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests