The Official June 2017 Study Group

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:26 pm

LawLivesMatter wrote:Diagnostic test in the books, got a 160. For you more experienced LSAT'ers, is an improvement to a 172-174 realistic. GPA could have been higher :roll: so I need a high LSAT to get into my goal schools.

that is a very realistic score that you can get. where did you lose most of your points on your diagnostic?

I like your name lol

LawLivesMatter

Postby LawLivesMatter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Mikey wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:Diagnostic test in the books, got a 160. For you more experienced LSAT'ers, is an improvement to a 172-174 realistic. GPA could have been higher :roll: so I need a high LSAT to get into my goal schools.

that is a very realistic score that you can get. where did you lose most of your points on your diagnostic?

I like your name lol

Haha thanks. RC and LG is where I lost most of my points. RC: 20/27, LG: 13/23. A little concerned because I've heard RC is a tough section to improve a lot on.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Gonna start again today. I realized I have no motivation to work on RC. I'll focus on that towards the end of the month

LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

Haha thanks. RC and LG is where I lost most of my points. RC: 20/27, LG: 13/23. A little concerned because I've heard RC is a tough section to improve a lot on.

LG is the easiest to improve on.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm

LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

Yeah RC is usually the hardest section to improve on, but it's not impossible! Improvements with RC usually just seem to happy more slowly than the other sections. Like prez said, LG is the easiest to improve on so it's good that it seems like your weakest section.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Mikey wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

Yeah RC is usually the hardest section to improve on, but it's not impossible! Improvements with RC usually just seem to happy more slowly than the other sections. Like prez said, LG is the easiest to improve on so it's good that it seems like your weakest section.

What Mikey said, and also, going -7 for RC on a first run is really good. A lot of ppl struggle to get that -10. I reckon with ample prep you would get that sub 5's if you work at it and hone in on what you are getting wrong.

aurelian

Postby aurelian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Checking in for the first time.

Long time lurker, but looking to crush the LSAT. I just took a diagnostic the other day and got a 22/25 LR1, 23/26 LR2, 22/26 RC and a pitiful 9/24 on LG. Gonna start out with the Trainer for around 30-35 hours a week (studying full time) and see if I can get up to shape by June. We got this fellas.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Is anyone here not aiming for the t14?

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:59 pm

Doing the mini-drills in the trainer or any book always seem so monotonous to me, although, I know the repetition and focus really does help approach full on problems..

rubixcube

Postby rubixcube » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:38 am

jagerbom79 wrote:Doing the mini-drills in the trainer or any book always seem so monotonous to me, although, I know the repetition and focus really does help approach full on problems..

The mini-drills on the Trainer for Logical Reasoning can be a bit repetitive and tedious, but I do believe for beginners it is a good approach to get them into the critical mindset and involved in locating flaws. I think everyone is just eager to jump into the practice problems from actual exams.

LawLivesMatter

Postby LawLivesMatter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:34 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

What Mikey said, and also, going -7 for RC on a first run is really good. A lot of ppl struggle to get that -10. I reckon with ample prep you would get that sub 5's if you work at it and hone in on what you are getting wrong.

This probably seems like a dumb question, but how do you exactly hone in on what you are doing wrong? I am planning on going through all my PTs in depth but how do I know what type of questions each one is? I'm probably not conveying my concerns perfectly, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at.

LawLivesMatter

Postby LawLivesMatter » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:35 am

LawLivesMatter wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

This probably seems like a dumb question, but how do you exactly hone in on what you are doing wrong? I am planning on going through all my PTs in depth but how do I know what type of questions each one is? I'm probably not conveying my concerns perfectly, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at.

Maybe Law School isn't for me if I can't "convey my concerns" lol.

rubixcube

Postby rubixcube » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:46 am

LawLivesMatter wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

The question type is related to the question being posed in the stimulus. For example, there are a variety of question types for the Logical Reasoning section (i.e. weaken, assumption, resolve the paradox, strengthen, etc.). Depending on the review book or program you follow, the company might change the name ever so slightly to describe the question type. If you utilize any of the bibles from PowerScore, they will always give a breakdown of the question types and the best strategies to tackle the question type.

V1ncent_G

Postby V1ncent_G » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Checking in.
I wonder if anyone can provide me with some sketchy plan(website links are O.K.) on crushing LSAT. It could be hard for me to make everyday takes without an overall plan. I would be grateful to any advice.

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:54 pm

rubixcube wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I like your name lol

The question type is related to the question being posed in the stimulus. For example, there are a variety of question types for the Logical Reasoning section (i.e. weaken, assumption, resolve the paradox, strengthen, etc.). Depending on the review book or program you follow, the company might change the name ever so slightly to describe the question type. If you utilize any of the bibles from PowerScore, they will always give a breakdown of the question types and the best strategies to tackle the question type.

Yeah rubix explained this well. There are lists on this forum (sorry I didn't check for the link but maybe someone can post the link for you here) that say what each question in PT is categorized as. As you prep more too, it becomes more second nature and if you keep track, you will see what you are consistently getting wrong. Then you would just spend some time drilling only that question-type.

Hope this helps

O.J.

Postby O.J. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:56 pm

V1ncent_G wrote:Checking in.
I wonder if anyone can provide me with some sketchy plan(website links are O.K.) on crushing LSAT. It could be hard for me to make everyday takes without an overall plan. I would be grateful to any advice.

Loaded question, but it's pretty much what we all want to do, and why we're here. So read all the threads in the prep section of this forum. I would keep these methods/books in mind:

LSAT Trainer
7Sage
LG/LR Bibles

You can't go wrong there for a start. The first two provide excellent "plans" to get you scheduled for the June take, and will get you moving in the right direction. Good luck!

cDongDong

Postby cDongDong » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Checking in

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:16 pm

did pretty shitty on rc today. calling it a day for the lsat for now

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:22 pm

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Just woke up

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Got back into studying every day, but I need to pick up the intensity. been pretty lax lol. Want to really make the best use of this break

thazel

Postby thazel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Checking in for the first time.

Going to be sitting the June 2017 LSAT for the first time from New Zealand so it's great to have found this forum - no one knows much about the LSAT where I live.

I've been using the LG and LR Powerscore Bibles to begin with for self-study - what other books would you seasoned LSAT preppers recommend? Best books for RC prep?

Are online courses worth the cost or is a 170+ score achievable with self-study alone? I'll be studying about 15 hours a week initially and will up the hours closer to June as I'm doing my BA honours thesis this year at the same time.

rubixcube

Postby rubixcube » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm

thazel wrote:Checking in for the first time.

Going to be sitting the June 2017 LSAT for the first time from New Zealand so it's great to have found this forum - no one knows much about the LSAT where I live.

I've been using the LG and LR Powerscore Bibles to begin with for self-study - what other books would you seasoned LSAT preppers recommend? Best books for RC prep?

Are online courses worth the cost or is a 170+ score achievable with self-study alone? I'll be studying about 15 hours a week initially and will up the hours closer to June as I'm doing my BA honours thesis this year at the same time.

Hi there, welcome aboard. It's good to hear you have the bibles from PowerScore, they're extremely useful for jumping straight into the content of the LSAT and picking up good habits for test-taking. A lot of people on here, as do I, swear by Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. I would recommend the book as a supplement to the bibles from PowerScore, because the Trainer does a very good job at giving you a big picture look of the exam.

O.J.

Postby O.J. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:07 pm

PrezRand wrote:Is anyone here not aiming for the t14?

Me. But I'm the exception (43 years old). I own a home, have a family and my income will be supplemental, not a necessity. I need a local school and aiming for Pepperdine or LMU, maybe UCLA if enough $ is offered. Very debt adverse, so a solid LSAT is paramount for me. I have really strong softs, URM, and between my diagnostic so far and 3.8GPA, I should nail this thing. Fingers crossed.

What's your situation? Why are you looking outside T-14?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”