The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
88234

Bronze
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby 88234 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:40 pm

PT 69:

LG: -0
RC: -2
LR: -2
LR:-1

PT 70:

LR: -2
RC: -1
LG: -0
LR: -3

PT 75:

LR: -0
RC:-1
LR:-1
LG:-0

PT 74:

RC: -3 (ugh)
LR: -2
LR:-3 (ugh)
LG: -1

My body is ready.

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Thu May 18, 2017 7:54 pm

NavyNuke wrote:PT 75, 170

LR 1: -3
RC: -4
LR2: -2
LG: -1

Happy with RC and LG. I think I will get back into the trainer to brush up on LR. I think my best bet for ensuring a 170+ is to keep RC and LG where they are and trim a couple missed questions from LR.

I am looking forward to being done studying for this damn test.


Why not RC?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Is anyone else's pic on the electronic administration ticket lopsided/skinny/messed up? I used the same photo for June and that ticket looks perfectly normal. Now you can still tell its me but it just looks a bit off, and I'd assume they wouldn't care for the e-test but then again this is LSAC.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Does anyone have a list of "must do" games/game sections? I've heard that PT 41 has some weird ones you should do and of course there's the Dinosaur game (50 something), the virus game (79) and the Real Estate game (80). Also I've heard that one of the original Superprep game sections was collectively the hardest of all time, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $20 for one old section when I already have PTs 1-80.

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Thu May 18, 2017 8:32 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:PT 75, 170

LR 1: -3
RC: -4
LR2: -2
LG: -1

Happy with RC and LG. I think I will get back into the trainer to brush up on LR. I think my best bet for ensuring a 170+ is to keep RC and LG where they are and trim a couple missed questions from LR.

I am looking forward to being done studying for this damn test.


Why not RC?


I will keep drilling and trying to improve all sections until the test, I just think I have a much better shot at getting LR into consistent -0/-1 territory than I do RC. RC has been a real struggle for me.


Which questions are giving you the most trouble?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Anyone reading any good books?

I'm reading "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" its about weird neurological disorders. The title refers to a person who could recognize things or people and often mistook them for totally unrelated things

Grab a book people it's the best way to improve RC

User avatar
mwells56

Silver
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby mwells56 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 pm

PT70 today

LR1: -4
RC: -6
LG: -3
LR2: -4

166

Oy. Those few weeks I had to barely do things because finals and then that post-semester week off from life I took probably weren't the best idea. No more days off.

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 742
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby principalagent » Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm

My last two LR sections have been -1 and my first perfect. And the test before, I got the first 20 straight correct. My confidence through the section is also much better. I *think*, and hoping not to jinx this, that I've finally turned the corner on my weakest section. Let's hope it holds! 175+ looking so much more possible than it was even this time last week.

User avatar
calmike

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby calmike » Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
calmike wrote:Oh man I just took PT 71 and did it kill me.

I was doing well but then I got to the LR2.
I couldn't stop thinking about a comment my rude coworker made earlier in the day. I lost track, I couldn't focus on the passages, and I got -8 wrong.

-8 wrong!

I didn't even finish reading all the questions. With LR1 I got -2.
My next preptest is on Sunday. Hopefully, I make sure nothing gets in my mind, I focus, and I get a high score again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Score: 169

LR1; -2
LG: 0
LR2: -8 :( grr
RC: -6


I did pretty bad for RC too. I need to review and make sure what I got wrong. I also tend to run out of time with the last passage too. Maybe I need to drill RC more.

My average is 171 and my best is 169. Hopefully I score higher than 171 on the next PT..


That's a hella generous curve... -16 = 169?

I am a bit confused by your final results though - how do you have a 171 average if your best score is 169? I don't think that math works


Oops! I had not noticed the mistake. I meant 176. :)

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 pm

So I did two RC sections today to get my confidence back up after blowing PT 68's RC (-9) I think they were 45 and 46. Went -3 and -2. Big sigh of relief.

Doing some 69 tomorrow :lol: Hoping for that 175.

BTW plato you were doing 68 today how did that treat you? Are you ever going to be able to look at a bobby pin without cringing?

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Anyone reading any good books?

I'm reading "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" its about weird neurological disorders. The title refers to a person who could recognize things or people and often mistook them for totally unrelated things

Grab a book people it's the best way to improve RC


I have never read Dickens before so I might start Great Expectations or something. Although I probably should be reading non fiction I suppose. I have a copy of Simon Schama's Citizens (about the French Revolution) on my bookshelf that I have been meaning to get to.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Does anyone have a list of "must do" games/game sections? I've heard that PT 41 has some weird ones you should do and of course there's the Dinosaur game (50 something), the virus game (79) and the Real Estate game (80). Also I've heard that one of the original Superprep game sections was collectively the hardest of all time, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $20 for one old section when I already have PTs 1-80.


Jon Denning put a list of weird/outlier games on the LSAT subreddit today.

TBH, I wouldn't stress too much about Real Estate game. I took that one live and thought it was the easiest game in the section.

Virus was on my first ever LSAT take (did the real deal cold. Yes I'm an idiot) and it bent me over a barrel.

I did dinos during a PT a bit earlier and thought it was hard, but not impossible. There's a good section in the Trainer that has 4 back to back to back to back 'hard' games. I think there was one about mannequins wearing different colored clothes that was difficult on my first look at it.

I also tend to have a hard time with games where there are more than 10 positions to fill, just because if you miss an inference, they are really difficult to brute force. I believe there's a game in that range called like the Duet Game or something where there's 3 or 4 people that have to play duets over 3 days in multiple types of music. It turns out you have like 16 slots to fill for every game board, and if you miss one of the linkers it's super hard to force.

I'd also recommend taking a gander at the Pattern game in one of the more recent tests. It's like 4 employees that are signing up for their choices of jobs or something, and there's rules about who gets what preference of choice. It was definitely tough because it was so different.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Anyone reading any good books?

I'm reading "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" its about weird neurological disorders. The title refers to a person who could recognize things or people and often mistook them for totally unrelated things

Grab a book people it's the best way to improve RC


I have never read Dickens before so I might start Great Expectations or something. Although I probably should be reading non fiction I suppose. I have a copy of Simon Schama's Citizens (about the French Revolution) on my bookshelf that I have been meaning to get to.


Read Great Expectations in high school. I think it might be the least interesting book I've ever read...and I spent 6 years reading engineering textbooks

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Does anyone have a list of "must do" games/game sections? I've heard that PT 41 has some weird ones you should do and of course there's the Dinosaur game (50 something), the virus game (79) and the Real Estate game (80). Also I've heard that one of the original Superprep game sections was collectively the hardest of all time, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $20 for one old section when I already have PTs 1-80.


Jon Denning put a list of weird/outlier games on the LSAT subreddit today.

TBH, I wouldn't stress too much about Real Estate game. I took that one live and thought it was the easiest game in the section.

Virus was on my first ever LSAT take (did the real deal cold. Yes I'm an idiot) and it bent me over a barrel.

I did dinos during a PT a bit earlier and thought it was hard, but not impossible. There's a good section in the Trainer that has 4 back to back to back to back 'hard' games. I think there was one about mannequins wearing different colored clothes that was difficult on my first look at it.

I also tend to have a hard time with games where there are more than 10 positions to fill, just because if you miss an inference, they are really difficult to brute force. I believe there's a game in that range called like the Duet Game or something where there's 3 or 4 people that have to play duets over 3 days in multiple types of music. It turns out you have like 16 slots to fill for every game board, and if you miss one of the linkers it's super hard to force.

I'd also recommend taking a gander at the Pattern game in one of the more recent tests. It's like 4 employees that are signing up for their choices of jobs or something, and there's rules about who gets what preference of choice. It was definitely tough because it was so different.


I did the Dinos really early in my prep and found it impossible, but I'm planning on revisiting it in the next couple of days. The manaquins I also did from the trainer and I do remember that one being hard but not impossible, but its been a while so its probably a good idea to go through that "challenge" section from the trainer again, I forgot about that chapter.

Haven't done the Duet game but that employee pattern game was so strange I just went straight to 7sage to try to figure out what the hell was going on.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Anyone reading any good books?

I'm reading "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" its about weird neurological disorders. The title refers to a person who could recognize things or people and often mistook them for totally unrelated things

Grab a book people it's the best way to improve RC


I have never read Dickens before so I might start Great Expectations or something. Although I probably should be reading non fiction I suppose. I have a copy of Simon Schama's Citizens (about the French Revolution) on my bookshelf that I have been meaning to get to.


Read Great Expectations in high school. I think it might be the least interesting book I've ever read...and I spent 6 years reading engineering textbooks


I read Great Expectations in high school too and absolutely hated it, but I actually really enjoyed it a second time around about a year ago. Its definitely very dry though, and is probably an excellent book for RC.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu May 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Anyone reading any good books?

I'm reading "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" its about weird neurological disorders. The title refers to a person who could recognize things or people and often mistook them for totally unrelated things

Grab a book people it's the best way to improve RC


Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers", but I haven't gotten around to finishing it. Interestingly, there's a chapter on BigLaw, which includes almost a kind of history of Skadden

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Any one else having this problem: I either do really well on a LR section (-0/-1) or I do complete shit and go like -4. I almost never just go like a -2.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Platopus wrote:Any one else having this problem: I either do really well on a LR section (-0/-1) or I do complete shit and go like -4. I almost never just go like a -2.


Not the same but I have a similar problem in that I either go great on one LR (-0) and shit on the other (-4) or I split the difference and go -2/-2 or -1/-3. I've never done better than a combined LR of -3 even though I've been -1 and -0 in many sections. And the difficulty of a section doesn't matter either, oftentimes the scores are the reverse of what you'd expect!

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Platopus wrote:Any one else having this problem: I either do really well on a LR section (-0/-1) or I do complete shit and go like -4. I almost never just go like a -2.


Not the same but I have a similar problem in that I either go great on one LR (-0) and shit on the other (-4) or I split the difference and go -2/-2 or -1/-3. I've never done better than a combined LR of -3 even though I've been -1 and -0 in many sections. And the difficulty of a section doesn't matter either, oftentimes the scores are the reverse of what you'd expect!


Any pattern regarding the number of questions in the section? For some completely nonsensical reason, I always think the 26 question must be the harder one. It used to be a bigger problem, but still interesting how easy it is to psych yourself out

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Platopus wrote:Any one else having this problem: I either do really well on a LR section (-0/-1) or I do complete shit and go like -4. I almost never just go like a -2.


Not the same but I have a similar problem in that I either go great on one LR (-0) and shit on the other (-4) or I split the difference and go -2/-2 or -1/-3. I've never done better than a combined LR of -3 even though I've been -1 and -0 in many sections. And the difficulty of a section doesn't matter either, oftentimes the scores are the reverse of what you'd expect!


Any pattern regarding the number of questions in the section? For some completely nonsensical reason, I always think the 26 question must be the harder one. It used to be a bigger problem, but still interesting how easy it is to psych yourself out


Not really. I actually tend to do better on the 26 question sections, maybe because I get pumped up about having one more point to get from my best section.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 pm

archer grandpapy360 wrote:.


What's going on with the poll! I want to vote "I'm the One" by DJ Khaled, but it's not up there.

edit: My 2nd place would be "Set It Off" by Lil Boosie, but it's not up there either....
Last edited by Platopus on Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 pm

.
Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 pm

.
Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests