The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 pm

cherrygalore wrote:
Mikey wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:Which 7Sage should I buy? Ultimate+, Ultimate, Premium, etc.?

I bought the ultimate one, but if you just want it for the curriculum then you can get the starter one. If you don't want PT explanations, that is. The only thing different among each one is that they give you more practice problems and PT explanations. If you have all the PTs then you don't need the practice problems obviously, and if you don't care about the PT explanations then yeah the basic one. But if you wanna go all out and have everything then go with ultimate+

Are you happy with it? Thinking I'll get the Ultimate+, but I don't know if it is worth the price over Ultimate.

It's pretty much the same thing except for Ultimate, you only have explanations for up to PT72 (edit, I put 74 before, my b). 75+ comes with ultimate+. I don't use their problem sets since I have them all already, but their curriculum is good, I like it.

like I said, if you just want the curriculum then don't get the ultimate+ one, if you want explanations for PT 36(might be 35, don't remember) to 74 then get ultimate, the premium one idk about about, but the the starter one has the same curriculum as any of the other ones. Think about it :P

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:50 pm

somedeadman wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:just bought the lsat lsat prep book hopefully ever, Manhattan LG. as arrogant as it might sound, I don't think I need it but I'm still reading though it all when the time comes. finish up my LG printouts for the next 5 months this weekend as well.

it begins

What did you do to study for your first two takes?

powerscroe and finished 1/4 of the trainer, want to reread it but actually focus. This is my 2nd take btw, up to bat on ball 2.

Im doing the same. I could have stuck to just reviewing the Bibles but a lot of people have had great success w/ Manhattan as well so I figured extra perspectives could only be helpful. Lets get this money this take fam

I've used both. I liked powerscore for when I was first studying, but manhattan worked well as a supplement for me

Ok cool, once I finish the trainer I am going to start the Manhattan books. I briefly looked at the LG and i liked its setup and the similar inspirations as the Trainer.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:02 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:just bought the lsat lsat prep book hopefully ever, Manhattan LG. as arrogant as it might sound, I don't think I need it but I'm still reading though it all when the time comes. finish up my LG printouts for the next 5 months this weekend as well.

it begins

What did you do to study for your first two takes?

powerscroe and finished 1/4 of the trainer, want to reread it but actually focus. This is my 2nd take btw, up to bat on ball 2.

Im doing the same. I could have stuck to just reviewing the Bibles but a lot of people have had great success w/ Manhattan as well so I figured extra perspectives could only be helpful. Lets get this money this take fam

I've used both. I liked powerscore for when I was first studying, but manhattan worked well as a supplement for me

Ok cool, once I finish the trainer I am going to start the Manhattan books. I briefly looked at the LG and i liked its setup and the similar inspirations as the Trainer.

I am debating to do Manhattan to Trainer or Trainer to Manhattan. I didn't really jive with the traiers LG last skim around tho.

From what i've heard Trainer to Manhattan is better. Especially since you are getting all 3 sections spread across the book and then you can specialize in the Manhattan books as you go through those.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:48 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:From what i've heard Trainer to Manhattan is better. Especially since you are getting all 3 sections spread across the book and then you can specialize in the Manhattan books as you go through those.

Yeah, maybe it isn't too bad of an idea. I need to order a shitload of pencils again, as well as notebooks.

Might sound stupid but how do you (everyone else as well) take notes while reading these? I just would write down stuff I though would be essential or didn't entirely grasp into a spiral notebook and reread it in the morning or at night before studying.

I just made a Staples run lol. And thats how I do it.. I'll prob re-read and "study" the notes similarly to as you stated.

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:32 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:From what i've heard Trainer to Manhattan is better. Especially since you are getting all 3 sections spread across the book and then you can specialize in the Manhattan books as you go through those.

Yeah, maybe it isn't too bad of an idea. I need to order a shitload of pencils again, as well as notebooks.

Might sound stupid but how do you (everyone else as well) take notes while reading these? I just would write down stuff I though would be essential or didn't entirely grasp into a spiral notebook and reread it in the morning or at night before studying.

I took notes while going through the 7Sage curriculum and Manhattan RC Guide, I found it to be really helpful. I actually have an LSAT binder for LR-RC-LG lol.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Back again.
Been going through the PS LG bible this past week. I went back to the LR bible today; forgot how boring it could get. Definitely looking forward to starting Manhattan LR, I've heard good things about that one.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

I have this giant 3-in-1 notebook that I use for the different sections. I circle/underline stuff I consider important in the textbooks, then write the page numbers in the notebook, so I can go back to it whenever.

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Using the note section in 7Sage has been pretty great. Plan to print that out before my PT's for review. I like the way you can just copy/paste from the transcripts of the videos into the notepad.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 pm

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Glad to see I'm in good company with my note taking strategy; my prep is going to start in about 2 weeks. I think I'm going to go light for the first 2 months (2 days on 1 day off) since I am starting a new job and want to get acclimated there as well.

I started yesterday myself and sticking with 10 hours/wk, which is all I can do. Fortunately 7Sage has a pretty good schedule that fits this parameter for me. Will still get in 15-20 PT's in the end. Good luck!

harveybirdman502

Bronze

Postby harveybirdman502 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Mikey wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:
Mikey wrote:
cherrygalore wrote:Which 7Sage should I buy? Ultimate+, Ultimate, Premium, etc.?

I bought the ultimate one, but if you just want it for the curriculum then you can get the starter one. If you don't want PT explanations, that is. The only thing different among each one is that they give you more practice problems and PT explanations. If you have all the PTs then you don't need the practice problems obviously, and if you don't care about the PT explanations then yeah the basic one. But if you wanna go all out and have everything then go with ultimate+

Are you happy with it? Thinking I'll get the Ultimate+, but I don't know if it is worth the price over Ultimate.

It's pretty much the same thing except for Ultimate, you only have explanations for up to PT72 (edit, I put 74 before, my b). 75+ comes with ultimate+. I don't use their problem sets since I have them all already, but their curriculum is good, I like it.

like I said, if you just want the curriculum then don't get the ultimate+ one, if you want explanations for PT 36(might be 35, don't remember) to 74 then get ultimate, the premium one idk about about, but the the starter one has the same curriculum as any of the other ones. Think about it :P

I can vouch for the 7sage curriculum. It has some thorough breakdowns and good strategies. I'm about halfway through the starter edition. And you can usually find a solid explanation on LSAT Hacks or Manhattan if it's not available on 7sage.

Sometimes the 7sage explanations aren't as good because he tends not to spend much time on wrong answer choices. I like knowing why I'm wrong, especially if it's something subtle like a slight change in wording.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Last edited by dj9i27 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 am

Does anyone have any good methods for attacking Flawed LR? Following 7Sage, can't seem to understand it. LR has been quite simple thus far, until now. Drilling problem sets were alright, but I don't feel nearly at par as I do with the other LR question types.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 am

Just finished up studying for the night. I'm feeling really good about this take, I think I've got myself in the right mindset. I'm focusing on really breaking down the test and understanding it rather than just trying to drill as many questions and take as many PTs as I can. That's where I messed up last time around.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:44 am

Didn't study today. Played 2k17 lmao

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 am

PrezRand wrote:Didn't study today. Played 2k17 lmao

In my book, you did study :wink:

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58 pm

PresidentIJohnson wrote:Does anyone have any good methods for attacking Flawed LR? Following 7Sage, can't seem to understand it. LR has been quite simple thus far, until now. Drilling problem sets were alright, but I don't feel nearly at par as I do with the other LR question types.

I used both 7Sage and Trainer for Flaw questions. Actually going through the Trainer Flaw chapters is what really helped me understand and identify Sufficient and Necessary flaws.

rubixcube

New

Postby rubixcube » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:08 pm

PresidentIJohnson wrote:Does anyone have any good methods for attacking Flawed LR? Following 7Sage, can't seem to understand it. LR has been quite simple thus far, until now. Drilling problem sets were alright, but I don't feel nearly at par as I do with the other LR question types.

Is there a specific question type you are struggling with, or are you having difficulty finding the reasoning logic in flawed arguments? As previously mentioned, I would highly recommend reviewing the chapters on flaws in Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. The drills will get you in the mindset and allow you to see the big picture.

One of the things that has helped me speed up my performance, and accuracy, on Logical Reasoning is immediately locating the conclusion and its support. Once I have these, I want to determine right away what type of flaw in reasoning exists between these two elements. Has the speaker failed to consider that what is true of a group does not necessarily equate to being true for an individual? Has the speaker taken for granted that a correlation between two things equates to causation? Perhaps the speaker has taken for granted that one particular characteristic defines the outcome of something.

Once I know the type of flaw, I look at what the question is asking me. Immediately begin to cross out answers that are obviously incorrect. I will usually always be able to bring a question down to one or two answers, and select an answer based on how well it fits into the stimulus.

LawLivesMatter

New

Postby LawLivesMatter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 pm

First diagnostic test tomorrow :shock: Hoping for anything 160 or better!

Let the studying begin!

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:14 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:

I used both 7Sage and Trainer for Flaw questions. Actually going through the Trainer Flaw chapters is what really helped me understand and identify Sufficient and Necessary flaws.

I've been hearing for some time that the Trainer is really good at explaining things out in better detail, I will probably invest in the Trainer as soon as I can. Thank you.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 pm

rubixcube wrote:

Is there a specific question type you are struggling with, or are you having difficulty finding the reasoning logic in flawed arguments? As previously mentioned, I would highly recommend reviewing the chapters on flaws in Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer. The drills will get you in the mindset and allow you to see the big picture.

One of the things that has helped me speed up my performance, and accuracy, on Logical Reasoning is immediately locating the conclusion and its support. Once I have these, I want to determine right away what type of flaw in reasoning exists between these two elements. Has the speaker failed to consider that what is true of a group does not necessarily equate to being true for an individual? Has the speaker taken for granted that a correlation between two things equates to causation? Perhaps the speaker has taken for granted that one particular characteristic defines the outcome of something.

Once I know the type of flaw, I look at what the question is asking me. Immediately begin to cross out answers that are obviously incorrect. I will usually always be able to bring a question down to one or two answers, and select an answer based on how well it fits into the stimulus.

Really I'm just having trouble understanding the reasoning behind the flawed arguments. During my curriculum, 7Sage discusses viewing flawed method of reasoning as more descriptive weaken question types. I have been attempting to follow this message, but I keep slightly missing the actual point of the argument. I have no problem narrowing the answer choices down, it's just the last two or three choices that I have trouble picking the correct question. I'll end up choosing an answer choice that sounds great, even after blind reviewing, only to find out it is completely wrong because I missed the point ever so slightly.

I've heard great things regarding LSAT trainer, I will probably invest in the book soon and look over the sections.

Everythingimnot

New

Postby Everythingimnot » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:22 am

Is anyone using the lsat trainer study schedule options on their website? May tweak it a bit, but seems like a good way to hold myself accountable for studying :P

LawLivesMatter

New

Postby LawLivesMatter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Diagnostic test in the books, got a 160. For you more experienced LSAT'ers, is an improvement to a 172-174 realistic. GPA could have been higher :roll: so I need a high LSAT to get into my goal schools.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?