The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
Neil_Gorsuch

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Neil_Gorsuch » Fri May 12, 2017 9:30 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.
I think I'm just gonna talk to the person behind or in front of me like I did for my 2 other takes. I remember when I told a chick that I had studied for about 5 months, she was like "WHAT?? I studied for about a month but like 2 times a week after work ". Bet you she scored way fucking higher than I did.


Sometimes I forget that the vast majority of people are more like that girl than they are like the people on TLS.


Statistically, we are the 1%.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:18 pm

PT62
Raw: 95
Scaled: 176 :D :D :D :D
RC: -3
LR1: -2
LG: -1 (oops. I think stained glass windows might be the hardest game I've ever played, and I've done most of the 'typical' hard games)
LR2: -1

New record for me. Super thrilled. Could easily have been 177 if I'd paid attention better on LG. Looking forward to another month of grind until D-Day.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Exactly 1 month left folks, it's now or never (Just kidding, of course September is an option). Time to put in the last bit of work and reap the rewards come fall!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
lol I did mine in the hallway. Some people were really confused


Lol, a few years ago I would've rolled my eyes at you. Now, I am going to be the guy warming up in the hallway.

fuck what people think. always do you!


I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.


If we're going full gunner we should try to convince people taking with us that the experimental is always the 3rd section, so you should just take a 35 minute nap. Gotta eliminate that competition!

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
lol I did mine in the hallway. Some people were really confused


Lol, a few years ago I would've rolled my eyes at you. Now, I am going to be the guy warming up in the hallway.

fuck what people think. always do you!


I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.


If we're going full gunner we should try to convince people taking with us that the experimental is always the 3rd section, so you should just take a 35 minute nap. Gotta eliminate that competition!


HAHA if only the curve worked this way!!!

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri May 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
lol I did mine in the hallway. Some people were really confused


Lol, a few years ago I would've rolled my eyes at you. Now, I am going to be the guy warming up in the hallway.

fuck what people think. always do you!


I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.


If we're going full gunner we should try to convince people taking with us that the experimental is always the 3rd section, so you should just take a 35 minute nap. Gotta eliminate that competition!


HAHA if only the curve worked this way!!!



Man your tar is great gj

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

Man your tar is great gj


It's stolen from the nether-regions of the web

User avatar
calmike

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby calmike » Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 am

I felt like I cheated myself today.

I took PT 67 today but I forgot to add an experimental section meaning I took a timed 4-section test today.

I scored a 176, my highest Practice score ever.

RC: -2
LR1: -1
LG: -1
LR:-1

I was really impressed by my score today since I have never scored this high before. I thought I had made more mistakes in RC and LR. I did not blind review. I am just going to review my wrong answers. I keep improving as I take more practice tests. However, I feel like my score today does not reflect my actual score potential since I did only 4- sections. :(

The last LG game was tough! I was stuck with one question.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat May 13, 2017 8:01 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
lol I did mine in the hallway. Some people were really confused


Lol, a few years ago I would've rolled my eyes at you. Now, I am going to be the guy warming up in the hallway.

fuck what people think. always do you!


I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.


If we're going full gunner we should try to convince people taking with us that the experimental is always the 3rd section, so you should just take a 35 minute nap. Gotta eliminate that competition!

Haha that would be fucked. But yeah, the curve doesn't work like that :p

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 pm

calmike wrote:I felt like I cheated myself today.

I took PT 67 today but I forgot to add an experimental section meaning I took a timed 4-section test today.

I scored a 176, my highest Practice score ever.

RC: -2
LR1: -1
LG: -1
LR:-1

I was really impressed by my score today since I have never scored this high before. I thought I had made more mistakes in RC and LR. I did not blind review. I am just going to review my wrong answers. I keep improving as I take more practice tests. However, I feel like my score today does not reflect my actual score potential since I did only 4- sections. :(

The last LG game was tough! I was stuck with one question.


If it makes you feel better, I've taken a couple of 4 section tests and haven't noticed any difference in scores overall, or in particular sections. If you go straight from the 3rd to the 4th section you get the same level of mental fatigue. I would suggest though that you still review the test in it's entirety, and not just your wrong answers, especially if you feel like you did worse than you actually did. It's just as important to understand why your victories are victories, as it is to understand why your mistakes are your mistakes.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Mikey wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
lol I did mine in the hallway. Some people were really confused


Lol, a few years ago I would've rolled my eyes at you. Now, I am going to be the guy warming up in the hallway.

fuck what people think. always do you!


I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.


If we're going full gunner we should try to convince people taking with us that the experimental is always the 3rd section, so you should just take a 35 minute nap. Gotta eliminate that competition!

Haha that would be fucked. But yeah, the curve doesn't work like that :p



Yeah I know it doesn't, but less competition come application time!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:32 pm

calmike wrote:I felt like I cheated myself today.

I took PT 67 today but I forgot to add an experimental section meaning I took a timed 4-section test today.

I scored a 176, my highest Practice score ever.

RC: -2
LR1: -1
LG: -1
LR:-1

I was really impressed by my score today since I have never scored this high before. I thought I had made more mistakes in RC and LR. I did not blind review. I am just going to review my wrong answers. I keep improving as I take more practice tests. However, I feel like my score today does not reflect my actual score potential since I did only 4- sections. :(

The last LG game was tough! I was stuck with one question.


This is completely anecdotal, but I never really see much of a difference in score on 4 section vs 5 section pts. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

User avatar
InterLaw

Bronze
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby InterLaw » Sat May 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Just scored PT52, my best job so far!

LG: -0
RC: -2
LR: -5

Scaled: 173

However, there is something strange happening to my trends... Comparing the 5-PT averages of 26 april (when I took my 5th PT) to the averages as of now (14 PT taken):

Scaled: from 167,4 to 169 (+1,6)
LG: from 79% to 99% (+20%)
RC: from 81,8% to 84,6% (+2,8%)
LR: from 90,4% to 86% (-4,6%)

That is for at least 2-3 points due to a PT I took yesterday where I got 166 with a -12 on LR (worst LR ever, even considering the 25 PTs I took last year). I was absolutely tired and I screwed it up. However, while every section is improving, I'm striving with LR, which was my strongest field. I absolutely want to use this month to take that up to 95% avg (90%: -5, 86%: -7, 95%: -2.5).

Do you guys always take 5-sections PTs? I'm taking 4-sections and I was planning to switch to 5-sections just during the last two weeks... Is that really bad? Don't be kind :roll:

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat May 13, 2017 1:45 pm

InterLaw wrote:Just scored PT52, my best job so far!

LG: -0
RC: -2
LR: -5

Scaled: 173

However, there is something strange happening to my trends... Comparing the 5-PT averages of 26 april (when I took my 5th PT) to the averages as of now (14 PT taken):

Scaled: from 167,4 to 169 (+1,6)
LG: from 79% to 99% (+20%)
RC: from 81,8% to 84,6% (+2,8%)
LR: from 90,4% to 86% (-4,6%)

That is for at least 2-3 points due to a PT I took yesterday where I got 166 with a -12 on LR (worst LR ever, even considering the 25 PTs I took last year). I was absolutely tired and I screwed it up. However, while every section is improving, I'm striving with LR, which was my strongest field. I absolutely want to use this month to take that up to 95% avg (90%: -5, 86%: -7, 95%: -2.5).

Do you guys always take 5-sections PTs? I'm taking 4-sections and I was planning to switch to 5-sections just during the last two weeks... Is that really bad? Don't be kind :roll:


Great progress on LG!

To be fair, I think the whole 4 vs 5 section PT is a pretty personal choice - mental stamina/fatigue is not something I struggle with (I take all my PTs after having worked an 8-9 hour day as an engineer, so on a fresh test day, my brain is way more than ready for 4 hours of focused thinking), so I typically stick with 4 sections.

I have noticed though that even when I do 5-section tests, my strongest sections are 4 and 5, not 1-3, indicating that I typically get better as the test goes along.

Bottom line: if you struggle with mental stamina/fatigue, you should definitely do 5 section tests (or more) or something that will help you work on that. If you don't, I don't think it's a huge deal as long as you have done one before so that you know how it feels a little different come test day.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Sat May 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
To be fair, I think the whole 4 vs 5 section PT is a pretty personal choice - mental stamina/fatigue is not something I struggle with (I take all my PTs after having worked an 8-9 hour day as an engineer, so on a fresh test day, my brain is way more than ready for 4 hours of focused thinking), so I typically stick with 4 sections.

I have noticed though that even when I do 5-section tests, my strongest sections are 4 and 5, not 1-3, indicating that I typically get better as the test goes along.

Bottom line: if you struggle with mental stamina/fatigue, you should definitely do 5 section tests (or more) or something that will help you work on that. If you don't, I don't think it's a huge deal as long as you have done one before so that you know how it feels a little different come test day.


I agree, especially if one has a full-time, mentally draining job (myself included). I've even noticed the same trend of doing better on the later sections.

I think there is a distinction between a 4 section PT being an accurate indicator of your performance (which I think it is) and a 4 section PT being an equal training tool as a 5 section PT (to which I'll disagree). A 5 section PT can push someone if they are struggling. So to anyone wondering if they should be doing strictly 5 section PT's, I ask "Are you at your goal score"? If not, and you have the time, then yes, do 5 section PT's.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Walliums » Sat May 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I just finished up taking a PT at a local university's library and walked past someone who was taking a PT as well. Had to resist the urge to talk to them since they were in the middle of their test

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Walliums wrote:I just finished up taking a PT at a local university's library and walked past someone who was taking a PT as well. Had to resist the urge to talk to them since they were in the middle of their test

This happened to me once at school, except the guy was drilling RC passages from one of the Cambridge packet books. I wanted to say what up so bad and share our struggles but I know how annoyed I get when someone tries to talk to me when doing LSAT stuff, especially RC lol

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Walliums » Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:I just finished up taking a PT at a local university's library and walked past someone who was taking a PT as well. Had to resist the urge to talk to them since they were in the middle of their test

This happened to me once at school, except the guy was drilling RC passages from one of the Cambridge packet books. I wanted to say what up so bad and share our struggles but I know how annoyed I get when someone tries to talk to me when doing LSAT stuff, especially RC lol


I felt the same way, I remembered one time when this chatterbox came up to me to promote a fitness class she was hosting in the middle of me taking a PT, and then she was like "oooooh, sorry you look like you were really focused". >.>

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat May 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Walliums wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:I just finished up taking a PT at a local university's library and walked past someone who was taking a PT as well. Had to resist the urge to talk to them since they were in the middle of their test

This happened to me once at school, except the guy was drilling RC passages from one of the Cambridge packet books. I wanted to say what up so bad and share our struggles but I know how annoyed I get when someone tries to talk to me when doing LSAT stuff, especially RC lol


I felt the same way, I remembered one time when this chatterbox came up to me to promote a fitness class she was hosting in the middle of me taking a PT, and then she was like "oooooh, sorry you look like you were really focused". >.>

Anytime I'm in the zone with the LSAT and someone talks to me I just feel like snapping and being like BRUHHHHHHH lol. I always just say fuck it though.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat May 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:I just finished up taking a PT at a local university's library and walked past someone who was taking a PT as well. Had to resist the urge to talk to them since they were in the middle of their test

This happened to me once at school, except the guy was drilling RC passages from one of the Cambridge packet books. I wanted to say what up so bad and share our struggles but I know how annoyed I get when someone tries to talk to me when doing LSAT stuff, especially RC lol


I felt the same way, I remembered one time when this chatterbox came up to me to promote a fitness class she was hosting in the middle of me taking a PT, and then she was like "oooooh, sorry you look like you were really focused". >.>

Anytime I'm in the zone with the LSAT and someone talks to me I just feel like snapping and being like BRUHHHHHHH lol. I always just say fuck it though.


Happened to me the other day in a coffee shop. Saw some guy I haven't seen in like 6 months (not even really friends tbh) and he comes up and starts talking to me asking how my studying is going. All this happens while I have what is obviously a test paper open and a very visible timer counting down from 35. Some people man...

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Sat May 13, 2017 6:32 pm

First PT since finals earlier this week, and it went terrible.

LR1: -4
LG: -0
RC: -5
LR2: -5

168

I felt totally out of my rhythm, to the point where I almost ran out everything but LG. During LR1 I thought I just needed to warm up but it never really came to me. I hope it is just a matter of getting back into the swing of things.

I haven't reviewed yet, but I get the feeling I'm going to be extremely frustrated by some of my mistakes. In any case, I'm finally free of all obligations until test day.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat May 13, 2017 6:46 pm

zkyggi wrote:First PT since finals earlier this week, and it went terrible.

LR1: -4
LG: -0
RC: -5
LR2: -5

168

I felt totally out of my rhythm, to the point where I almost ran out everything but LG. During LR1 I thought I just needed to warm up but it never really came to me. I hope it is just a matter of getting back into the swing of things.

I haven't reviewed yet, but I get the feeling I'm going to be extremely frustrated by some of my mistakes. In any case, I'm finally free of all obligations until test day.


Which test number?

User avatar
zkyggi

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby zkyggi » Sat May 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:First PT since finals earlier this week, and it went terrible.

LR1: -4
LG: -0
RC: -5
LR2: -5

168

I felt totally out of my rhythm, to the point where I almost ran out everything but LG. During LR1 I thought I just needed to warm up but it never really came to me. I hope it is just a matter of getting back into the swing of things.

I haven't reviewed yet, but I get the feeling I'm going to be extremely frustrated by some of my mistakes. In any case, I'm finally free of all obligations until test day.


Which test number?


74
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat May 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Walliums wrote:I just finished up taking a PT at a local university's library and walked past someone who was taking a PT as well. Had to resist the urge to talk to them since they were in the middle of their test

This happened to me once at school, except the guy was drilling RC passages from one of the Cambridge packet books. I wanted to say what up so bad and share our struggles but I know how annoyed I get when someone tries to talk to me when doing LSAT stuff, especially RC lol


I felt the same way, I remembered one time when this chatterbox came up to me to promote a fitness class she was hosting in the middle of me taking a PT, and then she was like "oooooh, sorry you look like you were really focused". >.>

Anytime I'm in the zone with the LSAT and someone talks to me I just feel like snapping and being like BRUHHHHHHH lol. I always just say fuck it though.


Happened to me the other day in a coffee shop. Saw some guy I haven't seen in like 6 months (not even really friends tbh) and he comes up and starts talking to me asking how my studying is going. All this happens while I have what is obviously a test paper open and a very visible timer counting down from 35. Some people man...



Similar thing happened to me too lol. Headphones in section out clock on sitting in a corner away from everyone. Guy comes up to talk about the lsat and that "you just gotta kill it in games" and then also said he wished he wasn't going to the school he was going to lol he was a 1L

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Sat May 13, 2017 8:22 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
I usually try and talk to people/socialize (recruit people to drink) but I think this time I'm going full gunner.
I think I'm just gonna talk to the person behind or in front of me like I did for my 2 other takes. I remember when I told a chick that I had studied for about 5 months, she was like "WHAT?? I studied for about a month but like 2 times a week after work ". Bet you she scored way fucking higher than I did.


Sometimes I forget that the vast majority of people are more like that girl than they are like the people on TLS.


Seriously though, when I see people all FML over their 173 PT score (looking at like half the folks on this thread) it's pretty crazy to me. Less than half of 1% of test takers even need a score over say 171.

If you have a 3.85+, you are getting good money at a T10 with a 166+. And while a 180 is higher than a 174, neither of those numbers will markedly affect your final outcome at acceptance to Yale, and certainly not Stanford. Lets not even mention HLS who will be riding behind Chicago within a few years.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests