The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

PrezRand

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Gonna drill 2 sections of RC today. Did LG yesterday. So far in LG I have done tests 7-24. After I finish 25-28 I'll do 7-28 again. I think I'm improving a lot on LG and can get the answers right. I just worry about time now. For LR, I've drilled MBT/MSS, Weaken, Main Point, Resolve the Paradox, and Justify the conclusion. Gonna tackle Method of Reasonign soon. Hopefully by the end of January, I'll be done drilling and can start doing timed sections. Is it just me or has this year gone by incredibly fast

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Haven't officially moved my slot from February to June but, checking in.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am

Finally got back on the grind yesterday. Started the Trainer... so far so good.. just gotta get used to studying this again and get in the flow

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi all! First time taker checking in. Can't believe some of you are already drilling and PTing...makes me feel like a slacker. I'm just waiting for my Powerscore LG Bible to come in the mail. "Two day shipping" my ass.

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 pm

I did a bit of LG today, like 30 mins worth. Question #6 off of the June 1996 LG section was...tricky.

Going to attempt Chapter 7 of the LR Bible (Weaken questions) this afternoon.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Starting up with the Manhattan LR book today! I'm excited to get back into the swing of things.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Does anyone have the 5th edition Manhattan LR book? I have the 4th edition and am currently going through it again, but I'm wondering if buying the newer edition would be worth it. Are there any major changes in the book worth the $35 I'd spend on it?

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:08 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Finally got back on the grind yesterday. Started the Trainer... so far so good.. just gotta get used to studying this again and get in the flow

Just started it too. Pretty dense so far, feels like a lot of extraneous stuff to get to the meat of it all.

Are you doing one chapter a day as suggested? I'm doing 1-2. What are you supplementing it with, if anything?

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I have so much doubt about whether I'm wasting my time or not studying for a third take.

Studied for a year to get a 169 (my pt average). Then took it again and dropped a point. I would call it quits, but after getting waitlisted I'm starting up again by redoing all of the tests (2x).

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Tentatively checking in?

rubixcube

New

Postby rubixcube » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 pm

O.J. wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Finally got back on the grind yesterday. Started the Trainer... so far so good.. just gotta get used to studying this again and get in the flow

Just started it too. Pretty dense so far, feels like a lot of extraneous stuff to get to the meat of it all.

Are you doing one chapter a day as suggested? I'm doing 1-2. What are you supplementing it with, if anything?

If you do not have the Logical Reasoning Bible, I highly recommend supplementing the Trainer with the LR Bible. The LR Bible jumps right into the various formats on the LSAT, and you will get an excellent foundation to draw upon the more broad view that the Trainer is attempting to give you.

tada77

New

Postby tada77 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Checking in! Took my first PT a few days after my first look at the overview of the LSAT, got a 160 on the December 2010 test, but I really feel like this material is learnable and I'm excited to get better with you all! Shooting for Stanford and 172+. I'm signed up for a Blueprints course in April because I was able to get a good discount from my school, and I'm buying the LR/LG Bibles from Craigslist. Has anyone taken a Blueprints course? How did you avoid giving yourself a PT that they would later use as a timed test in class? I'm just going to avoid doing the last ten or so, they told me they would be using ones from 2011 on for the full simulations.

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:11 am

rubixcube wrote:
O.J. wrote:

If you do not have the Logical Reasoning Bible, I highly recommend supplementing the Trainer with the LR Bible. The LR Bible jumps right into the various formats on the LSAT, and you will get an excellent foundation to draw upon the more broad view that the Trainer is attempting to give you.

Interesting. I was told the LG Bible was the must have. I guess the LR one is solid too. Wondering why I'm even using the Trainer then, lol.

rubixcube

New

Postby rubixcube » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 am

O.J. wrote:
rubixcube wrote:
O.J. wrote:

Interesting. I was told the LG Bible was the must have. I guess the LR one is solid too. Wondering why I'm even using the Trainer then, lol.

I'm specifically referring to the Logical Reasoning section of the test. The LR Bible does an excellent job of going into detail the various question types that exist in the Logical Reasoning section (assumption, weaken, must be true, etc.). However, one thing that I have found that the LR Bible does not well in prepare you to think critically of the information you are reading and recognizing the flaws in arguments. In fact, often times the LR Bible presumes you will be able to recognize the flaw and simply say that in order to answer the question, you must identify the flaw in logic. This is difficult to do without actually understanding the common errors in logic that are used by the makers of the LSAT in the stimulus of the question.

That is where the Trainer does an exceptional job of being a supplement to the LR Bible, or vice versa. At least personally, I have found the Trainer's immediate approach to drilling your ability to find flaws as excellent preparation for tackling questions on the Logical Reasoning section.

I would add, the LG Bible is a must have. However, many of the formal logic elements that are needed in the Logic Games section are also needed in the Logical Reasoning section. With that in mind, the LR Bible goes into an extensive formal logic and conditional reasoning explanation that really helps build strategies to tackle questions where you need to quickly recognize conditional relationships and find flaws in the stimulus' argument.

O.J.

Bronze

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks Rubix! I think I'll get both. As for the logistics of studying with both bibles and the Trainer, how did you schedule it out? Did you switch around as you went along? Thanks again.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi all! I'm joining this group as I am planning my first take in June for applying next cycle.

I have aspirations of money to attend a T10 school, but because of my GPA (3.52) I will need a 170+. I took my diagnostic the day before Thanksgiving and got a 148 (-4/-15/-12/-18(RC) with half attributed to running out of time). I've been studying since just after Thanksgiving and PTing at 160 right now.

LG is by far my best section. My diagnostic test was -4 in LG and since then I get about 1 LG question wrong every 3 or 4 tests (I've completed 12 PT's thus far). Before you call me lucky, just know the LR and RC have been a huge uphill battle. I have basically scored -0/-8/-8/-8 on my last 5 PT's.

Gonna keep trying to get 1 more question right at a time. 2 points a month til June and I'll be where I need to be, slow and steady!

Let's do this!

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:43 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Hi all! I'm joining this group as I am planning my first take in June for applying next cycle.

I have aspirations of money to attend a T10 school, but because of my GPA (3.52) I will need a 170+. I took my diagnostic the day before Thanksgiving and got a 148 (-4/-15/-12/-18(RC) with half attributed to running out of time). I've been studying since just after Thanksgiving and PTing at 160 right now.

LG is by far my best section. My diagnostic test was -4 in LG and since then I get about 1 LG question wrong every 3 or 4 tests (I've completed 12 PT's thus far). Before you call me lucky, just know the LR and RC have been a huge uphill battle. I have basically scored -0/-8/-8/-8 on my last 5 PT's.

Gonna keep trying to get 1 more question right at a time. 2 points a month til June and I'll be where I need to be, slow and steady!

Let's do this!

Don't forget to do Blind Review!

RaidersFootballFan

New

Postby RaidersFootballFan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Hey ya'll

I'm checking in to this thread. Took a diagnostic yesterday and the results were extremely disappointing. Ordering all prep material today and I'll start prepping once I move back to school in a week!

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Hey guys, I need advice on something. My major weakness is LG, where I went -13 on my cold diagnostic. LR and RC aren't too bad (-1/-4 and -3, respectively). My study materials (the 7sage course and the Trainer) start with long sections on LR and stress that I should not jump around and should progress through their guides in the way they are set up. So I would be doing LR first, then RC (for 7sage) or LG (for Trainer) My intuition (and some posters on here) tells me that I should begin with my weakness, LG, and get that down first (learn diagramming and game types etc.) before refining my skills in my strong areas. What should I do?

cherrygalore

Bronze

Postby cherrygalore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:23 pm

34iplaw wrote:Tentatively checking in?

lol same

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm

O.J. wrote:

Na, I am doing more than that if I can. Just splitting my day in half and doing as much as I can while still absorbing information, while I'm on break. I did the Bibles over the summer, but I heard Manhattan was really good especially the LG and RC so I am going to do those after I finish the Trainer. I really liked LR Bible over the summer so I may compare it to Manhattan is see which one I like better. Mike Kim helped write (i believe) the Manhattan books so I've heard that they are very relatable.

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm

cherrygalore wrote:

lol same

:(

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Lol you definitely crush Dec, and aren't going to need to check in bro

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Last edited by 34iplaw on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:31 pm

34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Lol you definitely crush Dec, and aren't going to need to check in bro

I got a 170. I got my RC down, but I ignored LR and it got rusty. Not what I expected, but I looked at the numbers and a 170->174 for a soft-ish splitter doesn't really matter much outside of CLS, even for scholarships it seems. So, I'll apply this cycle and possibly retake in June...I may do it even if I get into NYU or Penn... just because I know I can do better than that. CLS/NYU are nice b/c they are in NYC, but I imagine UPENN actually probably aligns with my interests more.

That feeling when you knew you -0d your experimental section so much that you wrote -0 on your scantron... lol.

OH shit! I have been off the grid (went on a 10-day bender after the semester ending) so I didn't even know scores were released.Congrats on the awesome score, but I know exactly what you are talking about since we've talked before and I feel like we are in a similar position with similar aspirations. I think you are in a better position with Penn than CLS/NYU no?

Either way, congrats bro. It will all workout
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?