The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Walliums wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
grandpapy360 wrote:I'm going to drill RC at a coffee shop for a few hours. There isn't enough vodquila in the world to make this enjoyable.

RC blows more than hookers

RC is easily the least fun of the 3 sections. I don't think I've ever turned to an RC section and not let out an audible "ugh"

But the articles are interesting..........

No?

No one?

Ok

I don't know, I've come across some science ones that are pretty interesting as well as law ones that are pretty interesting. It's the humanities ones that get me... and I was a liberal arts major.

Yeah the science and law ones are interesting, and I'll even say some of the humanities ones are too my enjoyment of LR went up proportionately to how good I was at it tho....

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Did pt63 today and got destroyed in games and RC. Went -2 total across 3 LR sections tho so that's good I guess?

I have to snack or something during the break as I've been crashing if I don't eat right before a PT

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Today's a really nice day I should spend it all indoors looking at paper

This made me laugh a lot more than it should

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Did pt63 today and got destroyed in games and RC. Went -2 total across 3 LR sections tho so that's good I guess?

I have to snack or something during the break as I've been crashing if I don't eat right before a PT

How bad is "destroyed". I usually do something stupid like this too. I'll kill LR and bomb RC or vice versa. Frustrating as hell.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarveySpecterr

New

Postby HarveySpecterr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 pm

Y'all I've got to get my timed test taking under control. I can blind review around 174, and given all the time I need, I can almost get a 180; but as soon as I start the clock I fall into the 166-168 range. Every. F#*@ing. Time.

Taking this thing for my first time in June. Any advice that could help me here?

StetsonU

New

Postby StetsonU » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 pm

HarveySpecterr wrote:Y'all I've got to get my timed test taking under control. I can blind review around 174, and given all the time I need, I can almost get a 180; but as soon as I start the clock I fall into the 166-168 range. Every. F#*@ing. Time.

Taking this thing for my first time in June. Any advice that could help me here?

Read faster, diagram lg faster, (obvious I know) but honestly other than that just practice, practice, and more more practice not much more I can think of. I wouldn't suggest shortcuts but if you can find things to shorten your preparation for the questions without sacrificing performance would help. Just keep taking timed pts and see what you can cut time on.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:52 pm

HarveySpecterr wrote:Y'all I've got to get my timed test taking under control. I can blind review around 174, and given all the time I need, I can almost get a 180; but as soon as I start the clock I fall into the 166-168 range. Every. F#*@ing. Time.

Are you analyzing the questions your missing? Do you miss easier questions or is it all harder questions?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Timing is really my issue right now for LG.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

What is your worst section? Are you missing questions because you aren't getting to them or because you are rushing?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 am

Doing a PT today, if I score under 170 I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

HarveySpecterr

New

Postby HarveySpecterr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:59 am

Walliums wrote:

What is your worst section? Are you missing questions because you aren't getting to them or because you are rushing?

It's strangely inconsistent. Sometimes I go -7 or more on LR but -2 on RC. Other times, it's reversed. But what is consistent is that I can either slow down and get them all right, running out of time with 8-10 questions to go, or I can speed up and answer them all, usually with 5-7 minutes left over, and miss a whole bunch. It's like I have only two speeds: super fast 'n sloppy, or painstakingly perfect. Haven't been able to find a medium, accurate speed.

StetsonU

New

Postby StetsonU » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

Do you guys not have issues with BRs? I havent done it yet but from what i've gathered its going back over the pt once youve scored it to see if you can do better. My issue is that I remember the questions and answers almost immediately when i see them

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 am

Platopus wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Today's a really nice day I should spend it all indoors looking at paper

This made me laugh a lot more than it should

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Did pt63 today and got destroyed in games and RC. Went -2 total across 3 LR sections tho so that's good I guess?

How bad is "destroyed". I usually do something stupid like this too. I'll kill LR and bomb RC or vice versa. Frustrating as hell.

Same x100.. I'll either kill LR and bomb RC, or alternatively I'll do great with a -0 in LG/ -1RC, and then bomb LR with a -3,-5

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am

HarveySpecterr wrote:
Walliums wrote:

It's strangely inconsistent. Sometimes I go -7 or more on LR but -2 on RC. Other times, it's reversed. But what is consistent is that I can either slow down and get them all right, running out of time with 8-10 questions to go, or I can speed up and answer them all, usually with 5-7 minutes left over, and miss a whole bunch. It's like I have only two speeds: super fast 'n sloppy, or painstakingly perfect. Haven't been able to find a medium, accurate speed.

Have you tried skipping around? If one or two questions in particular are eating all of your time then it might be beneficial to just skip them and return. I often skip the parallel reasoning questions that are in the teens/20's. I circle them then go back at the end. Could be something to think about.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:
HarveySpecterr wrote:
Walliums wrote:

Have you tried skipping around? If one or two questions in particular are eating all of your time then it might be beneficial to just skip them and return. I often skip the parallel reasoning questions that are in the teens/20's. I circle them then go back at the end. Could be something to think about.

This is what I was going to say. If you're not able to answer a question easily, finding yourself needing to reread the stimulus over and over or getting too sucked in on an RC - circle it and move on. Put down an answer choice of the day and move on. That time is better spent with easier questions, and you can come back to it if you have the time.

Another thing I will mention for RC is a majority of the questions are "must be trues". If you start looking at them this way you may get hung up less

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Wai wait wait.
I never did a preptest before #60, always scoring on average -4 on LG.

After PTs 36 and 37 I am -8 average on LG.

What am I missing? I truly find them far more difficult than the most recent ones...
However, I have to take this number down to 0. What could be a plan? Is there some particular trick or just doing a lot of LGs?
Until now I kinda followed LG Bible 2008 ed, am I wrong or something, is it too old?

I am sincerely scared guys... :(

One good news from the recent days: RC average -5. I would sign for this on the test day :mrgreen:

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:33 pm

PrezRand wrote:Timing is really my issue right now for LG.

Didn't you apply this cycle?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Doing a PT today, if I score under 170 I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

Update: Scored a 172. -6 on LR, -2 on LG, and -1 on RC. Pleased with the score but kinda pissed also, I missed two on LG (wtf) and I changed one of my answers on LR from the correct answer to an incorrect. Those 3 points and the bump to 175 would be huge. Ok day overall though.

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Any of you think that the more recent PTs (62 and up) are in general more difficult in LR? Or am I just screwing up randomly...

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:29 pm

njames1961 wrote:Any of you think that the more recent PTs (62 and up) are in general more difficult in LR? Or am I just screwing up randomly...

The answer choices are more complicate. Same strategies still apply though; always go back to the stim, wrong to right elimination, etc

If you have a good foundation, you'll barley notice the increase in difficulty

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:51 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
njames1961 wrote:Any of you think that the more recent PTs (62 and up) are in general more difficult in LR? Or am I just screwing up randomly...

The answer choices are more complicate. Same strategies still apply though; always go back to the stim, wrong to right elimination, etc

So it's definitely been established that the questions are more complex?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:39 pm

njames1961 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:

Idk about "definitely established", but that's the general opinion on these boards

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

PT 54 today:

RC: -5
LR1: -5
LG: -1
LR2: -4

RC was abnormally bad, I usually miss -2 or less. I am satisfied with my LG consistently being -0/-2, but LR is just not moving for me right now. It is super frustrating because when I review the answers are all clear to me save maybe 3 max. Since I started reviewing my tests more thoroughly I have been slowing down on LR, so I actually ran out of time on the last question for LR1. I am starting to wonder if postponing is a good idea, but I FEEL like I am learning this test, even though my scores are plateaued at the moment.

7Sage shows PT 54 as being relatively hard for LR and RC, does anybody know how accurate that is?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
njames1961 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:

Idk about "definitely established", but that's the general opinion on these boards

It's not that the questions are "harder" they're just different from earlier

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?