The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:So this time around I've decided to start with reading the q first and not going on to the q stem until I have a very thorough understanding of the Q and it's been saving me a lot of time compared to before where I did things in the reverse order. Anyone else notice this

I always read the question first, it just feels more natural to me. I think I'd do terribly if I read the stem first. I'm sure it works for some people but for me I think it would be a big waste of time.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 pm

zkyggi wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:I'm dealing with the most absurd problem. Going too fast on LR. I've been making it a goal to finish 15 in 15. Which I'm accomplishing but then I end up finishing the section in 30 minutes. 5 minutes is a ton of time. I can review some difficult questions, but I feel like this is inefficient. I'm averaging -4 per section. I'd like to get this to -1/2. I think I'm going to try to keep a consistent pace throughout the section instead of setting markers. I also feel like I have more time to prephrase answers with the speed I work at. We'll see how it goes!

I have the same problem. I tend to finish with around 5-7 minutes left, but my errors are usually on questions I haven't marked as difficult, so when I go back and check my answers, I skip the ones I get wrong in favor of ones that are correct.

I do the same thing. I don't end up Blind Reviewing my wrong answers, because I think they are correct. It's annoying, but I will continue to play with some things. New PT tomorrow, looking forward to it after a solid 2 days of review/drilling.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:So this time around I've decided to start with reading the q first and not going on to the q stem until I have a very thorough understanding of the Q and it's been saving me a lot of time compared to before where I did things in the reverse order. Anyone else notice this

Nope, I save time by reading the stem first, always. It give me a clearer picture of my task before I even touch the question. To each their own, though. If it works for you, keep doing it!

Saylor1720 wrote:I'm dealing with the most absurd problem. Going too fast on LR. I've been making it a goal to finish 15 in 15. Which I'm accomplishing but then I end up finishing the section in 30 minutes. 5 minutes is a ton of time. I can review some difficult questions, but I feel like this is inefficient. I'm averaging -4 per section. I'd like to get this to -1/2. I think I'm going to try to keep a consistent pace throughout the section instead of setting markers. I also feel like I have more time to prephrase answers with the speed I work at. We'll see how it goes!

Just be careful not to overestimate how much more time you can take. I had the same problem, and when I slowed down I realized I burned most of that extra time on one question inadvertently and felt like I was rushing more toward the end. I've stuck with my quicker pace, since it seems to be get me in a natural rhythm that helps me score better.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 pm

njames1961 wrote:As someone that works full time, what do you think my study schedule should look like going forward until June?

Right now I'm averaging around 172 on PTs for my last three, with hopes to score 173 on actual test.

I have PTs 38-50, and 62-forward left undone, used 7sage premium as CC, so my original plan is to do ~1-2 sections a day during the week, and do a full PT on the weekend.

How does this compare to any of your schedules going forward? Does mine seem week? I'm mainly worried about wasting fresh sections doing them as individual sections during the week.

Also, how do you "drill" without wasting sections?

I also work full-time and I'm at the same point in the material and PT score. Personally, I'm going to scrap 38-50 and use them solely to drill. I know damn well I won't be able to take 30 tests before June, and make the most of them like I should. I'm just a bit too mentally exhausted on a week night, call it weak-willed or whatever, but it's true. I usually take 3 sections per night though, with focus on LR and RC. I make them most of them by taking them timed, and thoroughly reviewing them the day after. I usually go through the section again and at least look at each question, focusing on the ones I miss. I also hit up Manhattan's forum for all LR explanation.

I don't think your schedule is "weak". Personally, I think both of us could benefit from more time, but of course, that is always an excuse. I'll probably be aiming to do 2 PT's a week from here until June, as that should polish off the remaining 62-80 pretty nicely. I wouldn't be worried about "burning" the sections on drills, especially if you'll only be doing 1 PT a week. If we had more time, then yes, I would probably use 38-50 for PT's. My main concern about trying to PT 38-50 is running out of time to hit 70-80. I much rather at least see 38-50 while drilling, then either not see them at all, or neglect the most recent tests.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:19 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:

I always read the question first, it just feels more natural to me. I think I'd do terribly if I read the stem first. I'm sure it works for some people but for me I think it would be a big waste of time.

Reading the question stem first has been the single best decision I've made in my LSAT prep. I made this switch and my scores quickly improved. I was wasting too much time before trying to be extremely critical of every word and sentence on every question. That is really only helpful on 50% of the LR questions. By reading the stem first, I was able to do inference questions significantly faster, allowing me more time on the hardest questions at the end of the section.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 am

Platopus wrote:
njames1961 wrote:

Don't forget about LSAThacks.com for explanations also. I find his to often be more simple and straight forward than the mess you can find on the Manhattan forums. He doesn't have solutions for PT's 42-61 though.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I tend to think slow is smooth smooth is fast.

Someone has been listening to The Thinking LSAT podcast.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 am

saf18hornet wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

Reading the question stem first has been the single best decision I've made in my LSAT prep. I made this switch and my scores quickly improved. I was wasting too much time before trying to be extremely critical of every word and sentence on every question. That is really only helpful on 50% of the LR questions. By reading the stem first, I was able to do inference questions significantly faster, allowing me more time on the hardest questions at the end of the section.

Was about to drill some LR, might give it a shot. I kind of hope I hate it so I don't feel bad about not discovering it until now.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 am

Nobody else wants a poll??

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 am

LR is so weird. If you get a question wrong and find out the right answer, the wrong answer just looks SO wrong. Like you don't know how you could've picked that originally. But you always do.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 am

Walliums wrote:

Lolol actually no. The gf does work for one of them then tho so maybe there's some influence haha

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Platopus wrote:
njames1961 wrote:As someone that works full time, what do you think my study schedule should look like going forward until June?

Right now I'm averaging around 172 on PTs for my last three, with hopes to score 173 on actual test.

I have PTs 38-50, and 62-forward left undone, used 7sage premium as CC, so my original plan is to do ~1-2 sections a day during the week, and do a full PT on the weekend.

How does this compare to any of your schedules going forward? Does mine seem week? I'm mainly worried about wasting fresh sections doing them as individual sections during the week.

Also, how do you "drill" without wasting sections?

I also work full-time and I'm at the same point in the material and PT score. Personally, I'm going to scrap 38-50 and use them solely to drill. I know damn well I won't be able to take 30 tests before June, and make the most of them like I should. I'm just a bit too mentally exhausted on a week night, call it weak-willed or whatever, but it's true. I usually take 3 sections per night though, with focus on LR and RC. I make them most of them by taking them timed, and thoroughly reviewing them the day after. I usually go through the section again and at least look at each question, focusing on the ones I miss. I also hit up Manhattan's forum for all LR explanation.

I don't think your schedule is "weak". Personally, I think both of us could benefit from more time, but of course, that is always an excuse. I'll probably be aiming to do 2 PT's a week from here until June, as that should polish off the remaining 62-80 pretty nicely. I wouldn't be worried about "burning" the sections on drills, especially if you'll only be doing 1 PT a week. If we had more time, then yes, I would probably use 38-50 for PT's. My main concern about trying to PT 38-50 is running out of time to hit 70-80. I much rather at least see 38-50 while drilling, then either not see them at all, or neglect the most recent tests.

Thanks a lot. I see your point that the newer preptests might be of more value. I may do something closer to what you're doing, like taking maybe 2 sections timed a day on Monday, then reviewing them the next day, and so on and so forth.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:30 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

Was about to drill some LR, might give it a shot. I kind of hope I hate it so I don't feel bad about not discovering it until now.

I gave it a shot too, it takes me longer but my accuracy improved quite a bit. I have only taken 3 sections with it though.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:14 pm

I originally start with q first, then switched to stem first, now back to q first

Saw huge improvement with stem first originally, but decided to go back bc I wanted to see if I had effect and my timing got wayyyy better. For reference with stem first I was down to -1/-2 per section on PTs and went -6 total on test day, but barely finishing in time.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Walliums wrote:

Lolol actually no. The gf does work for one of them then tho so maybe there's some influence haha

Maybe you're influencing them!! Give them a listen, I enjoy it

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Walliums wrote:Nobody else wants a poll??

OP where art tho

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm

op hath forsaken us

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Just did my first full timed PT since like January (been hitting those LG drills).

PT 50

RC: -2
LR1: -2
LG:-1
LR2:-3

That last LR had a few curveballs. I usually go -0/-1 on LR so that's disappointing. But the LG score is a big morale booster since I finished with a few minutes to spare. The games were pretty easy though. So was RC but I made a few dumb errors as always.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:op hath forsaken us

We need a new OP

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm

dm1683 wrote:Just did my first full timed PT since like January (been hitting those LG drills).

PT 50

RC: -2
LR1: -2
LG:-1
LR2:-3

That last LR had a few curveballs. I usually go -0/-1 on LR so that's disappointing. But the LG score is a big morale booster since I finished with a few minutes to spare. The games were pretty easy though. So was RC but I made a few dumb errors as always.

Hey, congrats, this is a very solid breakdown. LG can still probably wiggle down to -0 and LR can probably slim down to a -1 and a -2. 175+ is definitely in reach.

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Walliums wrote:

What's the The Thinking LSAT Podcast?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:op hath forsaken us

Skip to last verse.

Also, Walliums has one of my favorite avatars. You rock dude/tte.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I originally start with q first, then switched to stem first, now back to q first

Saw huge improvement with stem first originally, but decided to go back bc I wanted to see if I had effect and my timing got wayyyy better. For reference with stem first I was down to -1/-2 per section on PTs and went -6 total on test day, but barely finishing in time.

I gotta add that for me, reading the stem first is really a 1-2 second process. Skimming for a key word like flaw, assumes, inferred, strengthen, weaken, or supported. I guess that I earn that one minute back by not trying to find flaws on the inference questions, but maybe I'll try some sections going back to the old way to compare again now that I'm a smarter LSAT student.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I originally start with q first, then switched to stem first, now back to q first

I gotta add that for me, reading the stem first is really a 1-2 second process. Skimming for a key word like flaw, assumes, inferred, strengthen, weaken, or supported. I guess that I earn that one minute back by not trying to find flaws on the inference questions, but maybe I'll try some sections going back to the old way to compare again now that I'm a smarter LSAT student.

I'm going to second this, I hardly ever have to read the entire stim. I also don't end up rereading the stim a lot either. For me, it's an easy way to shave off a minute.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:09 am

Hi guys!

Just wanted to share my frustration. I am international (Italy), more or less 20 PTs. I score on average 163-164 (never more than 165, never less than 161, very constant). Now the fact is: I am completely unbalanced!
The classic situation could be:
LR: -2/4 (total)
LG: -4
RC: -10/12

I NEVER reach the 4th reading and even the others have a couple of errors each. I'm going mad. :evil:
I'm afraid it's a non-solvable problem due to language difficulty. In my mother tongue, reading comprehension is my strongest point. However, on the TOEFL I scored a perfect 30/30 on that. But this LSAT section is something I just don't know how to face.
Thoughts?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?