The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:50 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Platopus wrote:Taking the night off from studying since I had a very productive week, and I'll be taking 2 PT's this weekend. I've been averaging -1/2 on each LR section, -0/-1 on games, and anywhere from -0/-3 on RC, so my sights will be set very high for this weekend (aiming for 175+ on both tests).

Very nice! I took a PT today and yesterday: 168/171. It is really weird, LR has been killing me out of nowhere. I have a paper to write this weekend but I'm going to try and fit in 12 LR sections.

Same with the LR! I was never great at it to begin with, but I went from going around -3 for each section to about -5 for some reason. Even on some questions where I really take my time. On the bright side I've been really good on RC and solid on LG, just have to speed up a little bit, I usually run out of time by the last two questions.

Same here. I've been working so hard to first get LG where they needed to be and then focusing on RC that LR (the section that came most easily to me when first studying with 7sage) slipped for me 2. Had to go back and refresh some things on strengthening/weakening and SA/PSA questions. I think you'll find if you just go back and look over the basics you can quickly get LR back to where you were.

Yeah, I think just a general review would be helpful for me since I'm not just missing one question type, if I miss 5 they're all different types haha. But I think I can cut it down to -1/-2 with just a little work, I usually just make a dumb mistake.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Mikey wrote:
zkyggi wrote:I slogged through 6 LR sections today and did blind review for the first time (tragic, I know...). Having a bad week with LR really allowed me to slow down and be more methodical. I'm going to take a PT tomorrow instead of LR drilling and see where I shake out.

6LR sections in a day? Damn lol, you're a trooper!

It was absolutely terrible. On the last one I took about 3 minutes longer than usual.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Took PT 63 today: 170

LR: -2, -4
RC: -3
LG: -2

I've started putting my tests on 7sage for analytics and all of my bad LR sections are from harder sections, which makes me feel better. I forgot a rule in LG game 2 or else I would have had my first -0. The LSAT wins again, but progress is being made.

I am curious, how does everybody feel after a PT, in terms of mental exhaustion?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:11 pm

zkyggi wrote:I am curious, how does everybody feel after a PT, it terms of mental exhaustion?

It usually correlates to my score. I can usually make it through the test fine, but afterwards I really start to feel it. If the RC section was hard, I usually feel it more.

Nice job on the 170, btw!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 am

zkyggi wrote:
I am curious, how does everybody feel after a PT, in terms of mental exhaustion?

If I score high, I feel fine. If I score low, everything is ruined lol.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm

I am currently PTing at 165 LSAT.

What do you guys think about taking 3 PTS a week?

I plan to take 3 PTs a week until Test Day. I will review in the days between.

Ahhh!! I really want to score high. This is my last LSAT attempt and then I apply to law school.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:30 pm

calmike wrote:I am currently PTing at 165 LSAT.

Ahhh!! I really want to score high. This is my last LSAT attempt and then I apply to law school.

Make sure you're really spending time reviewing and not just PTing. If you're tryna get over that 165 hump you'll have to spend even more time understanding things on a conceptual level, even if you have timing issues

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

Make sure you're really spending time reviewing and not just PTing. If you're tryna get over that 165 hump you'll have to spend even more time understanding things on a conceptual level, even if you have timing issues

I agree. 3 PT's seems like overkill, unless you really have the extra time to review thoroughly. A 165 means you have either a decent understanding, but miss the most challenging questions, or you have very solid understanding, but struggle with time. If you are the former rather than the latter, I don't think the extra PT per week will help much. I would aim for 2 PT's a week with emphasis on review, and focused drilling on the other days.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 am

We need a poll

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 am

Platopus wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

I agree. 3 PT's seems like overkill, unless you really have the extra time to review thoroughly. A 165 means you have either a decent understanding, but miss the most challenging questions, or you have very solid understanding, but struggle with time. If you are the former rather than the latter, I don't think the extra PT per week will help much. I would aim for 2 PT's a week with emphasis on review, and focused drilling on the other days.

I'm in agreement with this as well but I even think you should go 1 PT a week to make sure you are actually giving your PT the review it deserves. Take 1 PT, figure out your issues, really hone in on why you got the answers wrong (write it out), practice/drill your weaknesses. When you feel like things are fully addressed, then take a PT again. I worry you are going to blow through PTs and not get the full value out of them

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 am

I took 3 PTS a week when I studied a while back and all it did was exhaust all of my PTs. Drilling is very underrated imo

That said I'm going to start moving to timed sections pretty much only lol.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am

I need a printer but don't want to spend money. I love brother printers (as much as you can love a printer lol) but am too cheap to get one right now, how do people like HPs?

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm

My hunt for a -0 LG section is heating up. I went -1 three times this morning. It is almost like a sick joke. That said, I doubted when I first started that I could get LG to perfection, so I banked on high LR and RC to get me over 170. Now it is starting to look like LG will keep me in while LR will be trying to ruin my life. Funny how this whole LSAT thing works.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I need a printer but don't want to spend money. I love brother printers (as much as you can love a printer lol) but am too cheap to get one right now, how do people like HPs?

Free printing at my university is a godsend right now.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Walliums wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

I'm in agreement with this as well but I even think you should go 1 PT a week to make sure you are actually giving your PT the review it deserves. Take 1 PT, figure out your issues, really hone in on why you got the answers wrong (write it out), practice/drill your weaknesses. When you feel like things are fully addressed, then take a PT again. I worry you are going to blow through PTs and not get the full value out of them

I think it depends what you mean by "PTing at 165." If this is your score from one test, take a few more that are from some more recent tests. LSAT prep really requires being honest with yourself, and taking an average score is much better than a single test that may or may not be truly representative. Also, taking frequent PTs early allows you to see how you do on other non-question related components, like focus, endurance, etc. If you already have an average, then I am in full agreement with the other posters here. If not, I recommend getting one first as a baseline then doing targeted practice.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Wasted a PT today. Usually I'm ok with performing with distractions but today it really messed with me. My dad came home from work way earlier than expected and it threw me way off for some reason. Was doing an LR section when he walked in, was -0 through the first 12, I missed 11 out of the last 13. I thought there was some kind of mistake, but nope. Managed -1 on LG and -3 on the second LR, but rushed through the RC just to get the pt over with and did -9, all of which I got correct on review. Pretty pissed off about today, had hopes for 173+ originally.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Man lack of sleep really nukes my ability to do much of anything lsat. Games get particularly ugly

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Wasted a PT today. Usually I'm ok with performing with distractions but today it really messed with me. My dad came home from work way earlier than expected and it threw me way off for some reason. Was doing an LR section when he walked in, was -0 through the first 12, I missed 11 out of the last 13. I thought there was some kind of mistake, but nope. Managed -1 on LG and -3 on the second LR, but rushed through the RC just to get the pt over with and did -9, all of which I got correct on review. Pretty pissed off about today, had hopes for 173+ originally.

Possibility for a bubbling error? Either way, shake it off. It happens. Salvage the test with review and move on. You're clearly capable. It's frustrating as hell, but it is what it is. Maybe consider taking PT's in public if you think distractions will be a persistent problem. Just don't let it kill your confidence.

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Man lack of sleep really nukes my ability to do much of anything lsat. Games get particularly ugly

Noticed the same thing with RC.

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 am

As someone that works full time, what do you think my study schedule should look like going forward until June?

Right now I'm averaging around 172 on PTs for my last three, with hopes to score 173 on actual test.

I have PTs 38-50, and 62-forward left undone, used 7sage premium as CC, so my original plan is to do ~1-2 sections a day during the week, and do a full PT on the weekend.

How does this compare to any of your schedules going forward? Does mine seem week? I'm mainly worried about wasting fresh sections doing them as individual sections during the week.

Also, how do you "drill" without wasting sections?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:43 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Man lack of sleep really nukes my ability to do much of anything lsat. Games get particularly ugly

lack of sleep fucks me sideways with RC

then again RC always fucks me sideways but w/o sleep it's worse

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 am

njames1961 wrote:As someone that works full time, what do you think my study schedule should look like going forward until June?

Right now I'm averaging around 172 on PTs for my last three, with hopes to score 173 on actual test.

I have PTs 38-50, and 62-forward left undone, used 7sage premium as CC, so my original plan is to do ~1-2 sections a day during the week, and do a full PT on the weekend.

How does this compare to any of your schedules going forward? Does mine seem week? I'm mainly worried about wasting fresh sections doing them as individual sections during the week.

Also, how do you "drill" without wasting sections?

I'm in the same boat as you in terms of plan (I work full-time, do 1-2 timed sections a day during the week and a PT on the weekend right now). I might bump it up to 2 PTs per week but we'll see...

And you don't waste sections by doing them in timed conditions, doing blind review, and thoroughly reviewing any mistakes you make.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm dealing with the most absurd problem. Going too fast on LR. I've been making it a goal to finish 15 in 15. Which I'm accomplishing but then I end up finishing the section in 30 minutes. 5 minutes is a ton of time. I can review some difficult questions, but I feel like this is inefficient. I'm averaging -4 per section. I'd like to get this to -1/2. I think I'm going to try to keep a consistent pace throughout the section instead of setting markers. I also feel like I have more time to prephrase answers with the speed I work at. We'll see how it goes!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:I'm dealing with the most absurd problem. Going too fast on LR. I've been making it a goal to finish 15 in 15. Which I'm accomplishing but then I end up finishing the section in 30 minutes. 5 minutes is a ton of time. I can review some difficult questions, but I feel like this is inefficient. I'm averaging -4 per section. I'd like to get this to -1/2. I think I'm going to try to keep a consistent pace throughout the section instead of setting markers. I also feel like I have more time to prephrase answers with the speed I work at. We'll see how it goes!

Yeah I've found that as I try to keep a consistent pace my timing gets better

I tend to think slow is smooth smooth is fast.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 pm

So this time around I've decided to start with reading the q first and not going on to the q stem until I have a very thorough understanding of the Q and it's been saving me a lot of time compared to before where I did things in the reverse order. Anyone else notice this

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:I'm dealing with the most absurd problem. Going too fast on LR. I've been making it a goal to finish 15 in 15. Which I'm accomplishing but then I end up finishing the section in 30 minutes. 5 minutes is a ton of time. I can review some difficult questions, but I feel like this is inefficient. I'm averaging -4 per section. I'd like to get this to -1/2. I think I'm going to try to keep a consistent pace throughout the section instead of setting markers. I also feel like I have more time to prephrase answers with the speed I work at. We'll see how it goes!

I have the same problem. I tend to finish with around 5-7 minutes left, but my errors are usually on questions I haven't marked as difficult, so when I go back and check my answers, I skip the ones I get wrong in favor of ones that are correct.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?