The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:10 pm

im debating about forking over the $ for one of these shared workspace things around me. unlimited coffee and printing. considering i get something everytime i go to a cafe it might not be that much more $$

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:13 pm

88234 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
88234 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
88234 wrote:Took my first practice tests: 174, 177, 178. Promising start, but I was PTing around the same and hit a 168 on the real thing last time 'round.

Does anyone know any solutions to such large-scale under-performance? I'm worried the same will happen this time too.

do you have any idea why you dropped

Logic games. I got crushed. I missed key inferences on three of the games.

lol im in a similar boat to you then. (didnt reset watch, -8 in games and got a 167)

yeah its hard because you want to stay fresh with everything. how many PTs did you take before? you might just need to get used to operating under time.

it also could be a test day thing . maybe you needed more games warmup?

I had 25 timed PTs under my belt before test day; I'm hoping it was simply a fluke and I perform up to expectations on this one. I was just wondering if anyone had any strategies for this specific problem, other than drilling to death (which is what I'll do anyway)

thats what it sounds like tbh youll probably be fine

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 pm

My week of drilling LG/RC has been well served, I am going to continue it this week.

I have placed a benchmark on my prep before going through with the June test. I want to score 3x 170+ on Prep Tests before the "change date" deadline of May 16th. With my ultimate goal being a 168 (minimum), I think being in that 170 area with a month to go would put me in a good spot. That gives me 6 weeks to accomplish this goal.

My 4 PTs have been 165,167,165,163
My averages are:
LR: -4
LG: -4
RC: -7
I miss most of my LR on the most difficult of Weaken and Flaw, Necessary Assumption. RC has been a crap shoot but getting better. LG I know I can get to -0 (I did during my first take).

I plan to take another PT next Monday. I have gone through the PowerScore Bibles, 7sage, and the LSAT Trainer. I have been reviewing my sections/tests, drilling LR by type, as well as re-doing the RC/LG passages that I haven't gotten 100% correct.

Would it be beneficial to go through the Manhattan Prep Books for RC and LR?

Will I get any true value of spending more money and time with these books?

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Jesus,within one day like 3-4 people have posted about PTing 175+. Congrats to everyone, keep it up.

Saylor1720 wrote:
Will I get any true value of spending more money and time with these books?

Possibly, there is enough time to get use out of it. Personally, I found Manhattan to be a good complement to Powerscore for the LR. The RC was ehh. On another note, keep working at LG, since you definitely can go -0 (as you mentioned). -0 on LG puts you in the 170 range or higher (especially if you can clean up RC).
Last edited by Platopus on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:03 pm

88234 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
88234 wrote:Took my first practice tests: 174, 177, 178. Promising start, but I was PTing around the same and hit a 168 on the real thing last time 'round.

Does anyone know any solutions to such large-scale under-performance? I'm worried the same will happen this time too.

do you have any idea why you dropped

Logic games. I got crushed. I missed key inferences on three of the games.

Damn, that sucks. Congrats on the recent PT's hopefully you'll be able to sort it out by June. Sounds like you definitely know what you're doing, but maybe got a little nervous come test day. I don't think there's really anything you can do to better prepare, except go in with the attitude that you've already done this, and that the test isn't any different than the PT's you've been acing.

latetothis

Bronze

Postby latetothis » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Whale

New

Postby Whale » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Just signed up for the june lsat!

guess I have to take studying more seriously now D:

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Finally got to some games today and very relieved to feel like things are coming back to me. Missed only 1 Q out of 10 or so games

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Postby DorkothyParker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Hey I'm new. I'm a late-bloomer so I will be 35 when I start law school in Fall 2018 (the same time my daughter starts kindergarten). Along with a full-time job, kiddo, and volunteer work, I am also an avid runner so I am really aiming to fill all my spare time with LSAT stuff. I even got some books on tape* to listen to on short runs (<7 miles). Crazy? Maybe. Impulsive? Definitely.

In any case, any tips to maximize my training, I am here for. I appreciate the support. ^^

* Is this phrase even used any more by young folk?

Whale

New

Postby Whale » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Hey I'm new. I'm a late-bloomer so I will be 35 when I start law school in Fall 2018 (the same time my daughter starts kindergarten). Along with a full-time job, kiddo, and volunteer work, I am also an avid runner so I am really aiming to fill all my spare time with LSAT stuff. I even got some books on tape* to listen to on short runs (<7 miles). Crazy? Maybe. Impulsive? Definitely.

In any case, any tips to maximize my training, I am here for. I appreciate the support. ^^

tape? i've never heard of that app but it sounds really cool!! :wink:

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 pm

88234 wrote:Took my first practice tests: 174, 177, 178.

Nice, nice, and nice!

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Whale wrote:Just signed up for the june lsat!

Since signing up I've worked about 5x as hard. Spending $180 for the test makes finding motivation really easy.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 am

DorkothyParker wrote:Hey I'm new. I'm a late-bloomer so I will be 35 when I start law school in Fall 2018 (the same time my daughter starts kindergarten). Along with a full-time job, kiddo, and volunteer work, I am also an avid runner so I am really aiming to fill all my spare time with LSAT stuff. I even got some books on tape* to listen to on short runs (<7 miles). Crazy? Maybe. Impulsive? Definitely.

Check out some of the threads that are stickied in this sub-forum. In general, you're going to get the advice to pick up Powerscore LG Bible, and either Powerscore LR Bible or Manhattan LR (I recommend both), 7 Sage youtube videos for LG practice, and if you figure out the trick to RC, please, please share as we would all be very interested, lol. Assuming you know nothing about the LSAT, I would start by working through the Powerscore LG Bible, followed up by either LR book. After you have a good understanding of some basic techniques and logical reasoning strategies, and in general what the questions are asking of you, order copies of every past LSAT administered (available on Amazon for *fairly* reasonable prices). Take the first 40 or so and use these to do individual sections for the purpose of practice, with the last 40 or so as full-timed practice tests to gauge your development. Overall, focus on accuracy 1st, and then timing 2nd, and then stamina + consistency 3rd. This is the shortened version, but there are many useful links from 180 scorers that are much more detailed and have much more thorough plans.

In any case, welcome! Best of luck!

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:50 am

zkyggi wrote:

Since signing up I've worked about 5x as hard. Spending $180 for the test makes finding motivation really easy.

I'm not worried about the $180 for the test, $200,000 in crippling debt is enough motivation for me :lol:

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 am

Platopus wrote:
zkyggi wrote:

I'm not worried about the $180 for the test, $200,000 in crippling debt is enough motivation for me :lol:

Facts

I'm postponing for the second time and $180 is crap compared to six figure debt

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 am

Is there some difficulty variance between the two LR sections? I routinely score high on one and much lower on the other. I'm wondering if it is a stamina issue or genuine conceptual difficulty I am grappling with.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:29 pm

zkyggi wrote:Is there some difficulty variance between the two LR sections? I routinely score high on one and much lower on the other. I'm wondering if it is a stamina issue or genuine conceptual difficulty I am grappling with.

might be stamina. it could be the test you're doing as well, and whether the sample of LR sections you've done have the curve set for a harder LR

there has definitely been times when I've taken a PT and go like -0/-1 on one LR and like -6 on the other, it happens either for fatigue or it's just a harder section

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Any chance at all of really helping a fall '17 application by retaking in June?

I didn't study at all the first time I took it (stuff in my personal life) slash was sick day of and got a 160, I don't think it's unreasonable to think I can get higher 160s if I can actually keep my physical/mental health together this time. Currently in at UTK, waitlisted at W&M and W&L (but think I'll likely get off that one, have literally the best stats of anyone on LSN who is waitlisted there). I'm not URM (though I am from a super rural area) and my GPA is 3.3 so I think barring like a 180 T13 is out. But my goal isn't really biglaw anyway.

Like, would this be enough to get me off the William and Mary waitlist that late in the game? Would it be too late to negotiate any sort of good scholarship with W&L? And would there be any chance at all of a super last minute application elsewhere coming back with any worthwhile scholarship? Or would I just need to wait a year?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Any chance at all of really helping a fall '17 application by retaking in June?

I didn't study at all the first time I took it (stuff in my personal life) slash was sick day of and got a 160, I don't think it's unreasonable to think I can get higher 160s if I can actually keep my physical/mental health together this time. Currently in at UTK, waitlisted at W&M and W&L (but think I'll likely get off that one, have literally the best stats of anyone on LSN who is waitlisted there)

Like, would this be enough to get me off the William and Mary waitlist that late in the game? Would it be too late to negotiate any sort of good scholarship with W&L? And would there be any chance at all of a super last minute application elsewhere coming back with any worthwhile scholarship? Or would I just need to wait a year?

Yes using June to up offers this is a common move (I'm doing it too!)

Doubtful that you apply anywhere in June with a new score and get scholly (maybe at wustl)

If you're really confident you can increase I'd say just wait another year and take September. There not reason to force going to schools with questionable employment outcomes if you know you can do better.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Any chance at all of really helping a fall '17 application by retaking in June?

I didn't study at all the first time I took it (stuff in my personal life) slash was sick day of and got a 160, I don't think it's unreasonable to think I can get higher 160s if I can actually keep my physical/mental health together this time. Currently in at UTK, waitlisted at W&M and W&L (but think I'll likely get off that one, have literally the best stats of anyone on LSN who is waitlisted there)

Doubtful that you apply anywhere in June with a new score and get scholly (maybe at wustl)

If you're really confident you can increase I'd say just wait another year and take September. There not reason to force going to schools with questionable employment outcomes if you know you can do better.

Thanks. A tier 1 in Virginia would be fine for me (I'm in state) but yeah, idk about UTK pending scholarship. I'm in an M.A. program at Georgetown I could do instead.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

Thanks. A tier 1 in Virginia would be fine for me (I'm in state) but yeah, idk about UTK pending scholarship. I'm in an M.A. program at Georgetown I could do instead.

have you considered GMU? they have a large in state tuition discount, and i believe you can apply later. I have a friend there who is pretty happy and considering it has in state+ tuition and it seems like a good deal.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

have you considered GMU? they have a large in state tuition discount, and i believe you can apply later. I have a friend there who is pretty happy and considering it has in state+ tuition and it seems like a good deal.

I've applied, yet to hear back. I'd go if I got in probably but I'd be miserable. It's known for conservatism, and I am very left wing (not Hillary left, more Trotsky left).

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

I've applied, yet to hear back. I'd go if I got in probably but I'd be miserable. It's known for conservatism, and I am very left wing (not Hillary left, more Trotsky left).

lol yeah, that might not be your vibe then.

fazzvm56

Bronze

Postby fazzvm56 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
gabearroyo1114 wrote:Does anyone have a good plan they are using? I bought LSAT Trainer 2017, Powerscore LG,LR, RC 2017 and Manhattan Prep LG, LR, RC 5th edition. I want to try to maximize the time I have left and need to know which if any do you use and what schedule are you guys on? I'm taking LSAT in June 2017. I tried searching the forum before posting and all I need is help. Thanks!

Hey man, welcome to the forum. It is indeed a lot of info to sift through so here's a few basics:
Plan: Dj, one of the regulars here, has a good plan that I am more or less following. Use the 'site search' button at the bottom of the page to find it. Also, you may want to ditch the Powerscore RC Bible. I have it, and I *hate* the methods they teach in it; they teach memorizing all of the info in these complex steps. Instead, look up 'Voyager RC method' in the site search. The Voyager method is, for me at least, incredibly intuitive and actually interesting.
The other Powerscore stuff is great, though. Especially LG Bible. I am not as far in with LR Bible, but I think it's great so far. You need to start reading a lot ASAP in the PS Bibles; it is seriously a lot of material and will take a while to read it all. Plus there's exercises and just pure grind of understanding concepts.
Can't attest to the Manhattan stuff.

A vital piece you are missing is a shitton of LSAT practice tests from LSAC ("The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests) and others. They are available on Amazon and you really, really need them. If you have the cash/time/dedication to doing really well on this test, go ahead and get all of them starting at least at 29-38 (not sure if you have time to do the earlier ones now). Do untimed PT's and section drills from the older ones and work up to the newer tests.

That's a pretty good intro post I guess so feel free to ask more questions.

Well plan #1 should be definitely, no matter what, do not use both the Powerscore and Manhattan Prep books. Pick one. I self-studied with Powerscore and their study plan, bombed the test, and then a few months later started a class with Manhattan Prep. I will shamelessly advocate for Manhattan Prep here. As someone who used both, I think Manhattan Prep's approaches are vastly superior and focus on narrowing things down to basics. Powerscore's study plan also burnt me out like you wouldn't believe and I just simply think Manhattan's strategies for all three sections make the test far easier to tackle, more quickly, and with confidence. I was PTing and couldn't bump it up with Powerscore, ended up bombing it, about 7 points worse than my PTs having blind-guessed on like half the test. With Manhattan, I went into the test very confident I would score my PT scores and actually ended up scoring 5 points higher than my PTs, which was 12 points higher than my first test.

I was atrocious at RC and it ended up being my best section when I took the test and applied the concepts. I also think their LG strategies are just simpler. For all 3 sections, they really utilize being able to knock out at least 3 answers by just drilling in you what makes a wrong answer wrong - which is VERY helpful when you learn it.

Now, the reason I say don't use both is that they are VERY different approaches. If you're using both you're going to have two very different methodologies in your head for the way to tackle the problem and it'll become very confusing. Pick one or the other, follow their study plan and go. Manhattan's great

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm

#ripcambridgelsat

pouroneout.gif

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?