The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:I've been doing this thing on LG, and only on LG, where I'll skip over super important details somehow. The question will ask something like "if F is selected, which of the follow must be false" and I'll totally skip over the "if F is selected" part somehow and give myself a huge headache and waste a bunch of time before I catch it. I never do it on LR or RC. Weird.

o.O how bro? lol. I feel like it's easier to skip over things in LR/RC than LG.

I have no idea, man. lol. I'll be sitting there for 5 minutes on one question screaming "NONE OF THESE HAVE TO BE FALSE." I've been kind of frustrated with studying lately so maybe it's a side effect of that.

take time off.

I used to always think that I needed to continuously study, but I've taken some time off of the LSAT and I went back to it very lightly a few days ago and my head is so much more clearer for it now. just take a few days off, it will help, trust me!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna take your advice. My thoughts have been consumed with LSAT and law school-related stuff, I definitely need to clear my mind a little bit.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Yeah, I think I'm gonna take your advice. My thoughts have been consumed with LSAT and law school-related stuff, I definitely need to clear my mind a little bit.

I'm in the same boat. I've been studying really hard 6 days a week while working full-time, and I'm absolutely exhausted. I'm not burned out yet, but I feel like I'm on track to burn out early May, which would be disastrous. I'm making improvements, but I'm seriously considering postponing until September. This damn test is consuming my life.

YBF-W

New

Postby YBF-W » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I've been studying really hard 6 days a week while working full-time, and I'm absolutely exhausted. I'm not burned out yet, but I feel like I'm on track to burn out early May, which would be disastrous. I'm making improvements, but I'm seriously considering postponing until September. This damn test is consuming my life.

I'm in a similar boat re working full-time and studying 6 days a week. I was really on top of it, but now I feel like my body is physically revolting against me and I'm not seeing as much improvement as I'd like and I'm feeling a bit defeated. I don't want to wait until September because I'll have to study for even longer and I really just want to get a solid score and have it done with. And also spend the summer focusing more on my personal statement, but I'm not settling for a score that I'm not proud of.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Took my first full practice test today since December. I committed to 12 weeks of the trainer and drilling and stuck to it. Made the move from 158 to 167 in that time, so I am very optimistic about getting a 170 on the June test. I went -3 in LG, because I wrote the wrong letter on one of the rules, oops! Additionally, I ran out of time on the last section and had to guess on the final 2 questions, both of which I got wrong.

All in all, I'm thrilled. To think I had a 148 on my diagnostic. That means in 16 weeks I'm getting 30+ more questions right. Getting 5 more correct seems like low hanging fruit right now :)

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 pm

saf18hornet wrote:Took my first full practice test today since December. I committed to 12 weeks of the trainer and drilling and stuck to it. Made the move from 158 to 167 in that time, so I am very optimistic about getting a 170 on the June test. I went -3 in LG, because I wrote the wrong letter on one of the rules, oops! Additionally, I ran out of time on the last section and had to guess on the final 2 questions, both of which I got wrong.

All in all, I'm thrilled. To think I had a 148 on my diagnostic. That means in 16 weeks I'm getting 30+ more questions right. Getting 5 more correct seems like low hanging fruit right now :)

Don't underestimate what it will take to get those last 5 correct consistently. I had a good diagnostic score but it has still taken intensive study to make progress.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:17 pm

zkyggi wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:Took my first full practice test today since December. I committed to 12 weeks of the trainer and drilling and stuck to it. Made the move from 158 to 167 in that time, so I am very optimistic about getting a 170 on the June test. I went -3 in LG, because I wrote the wrong letter on one of the rules, oops! Additionally, I ran out of time on the last section and had to guess on the final 2 questions, both of which I got wrong.

Don't underestimate what it will take to get those last 5 correct consistently. I had a good diagnostic score but it has still taken intensive study to make progress.

I would 2nd this. Getting from 158 to 167 is the easy part. Getting from 167 to 172 will probably take equal if not greater effort. To get over a 170 you need to be getting 100% of the easy-medium difficulty questions correct, and most of the hardest questions correct. Those last 10 questions or so are the "curve breaker" questions, which are created to help differentiate between the upper 160's and the lower-mid 170's. Anything over 175+ is a bit of luck. That said, congrats on the improvement! Keep at it, and good luck!

NavyNuke

Bronze

Postby NavyNuke » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Does anybody play music when they study?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:19 pm

NavyNuke wrote:Anybody got any magic tricks to make me read faster? RC is killing my score right now. Get most all the questions I answer correct, but I never get to the questions of the last passage. Really don't know what to do to go faster. I read passage once, read the question stem once, read the answer choices until I read the one I think is right then move on.

Just practice RC passages and read a lot of denser than LSAT material.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Just had my best PT ever (and my first PT to add an experimental). Went +7 since my last PT two weeks ago.

175 timed, 175 BR (caught a few errors and then made a few on BR):

LR1: 0
RC: -1
LG: -1
LR2: -4

Big whoopsie on the last LR section, missed those four right on the end. At that point two bros had come into the room where I was taking my test and were very loud. I was really pissed off about it and after finishing all of the questions with about 1:30 left I just quit it. Being distracted also meant I didn't circle most of these and then didn't review them on BR. Should have known better and gone through them anyways but surprise, that was at the end of my BR session and I just wanted to be done.

But holy crap do I feel good. Walking away from that test I thought for sure I had plummeted back into the mid 160s. And RC probably felt the worst - the experimental I had added was another RC section right before that one. Haven't BR'd and scored that one yet because ugh.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 am

Walliums wrote:Just had my best PT ever (and my first PT to add an experimental). Went +7 since my last PT two weeks ago.

Big whoopsie on the last LR section, missed those four right on the end. At that point two bros had come into the room where I was taking my test and were very loud. I was really pissed off about it and after finishing all of the questions with about 1:30 left I just quit it. Being distracted also meant I didn't circle most of these and then didn't review them on BR. Should have known better and gone through them anyways but surprise, that was at the end of my BR session and I just wanted to be done.

But holy crap do I feel good. Walking away from that test I thought for sure I had plummeted back into the mid 160s. And RC probably felt the worst - the experimental I had added was another RC section right before that one. Haven't BR'd and scored that one yet because ugh.

That's exciting, hoping to hit around there within 2 or 3 PTs. I'd have to go back and triple check to make sure I went -0, -1, -1 on the first three sections though because I wouldn't even believe it haha.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:54 am

Walliums wrote:Just had my best PT ever (and my first PT to add an experimental). Went +7 since my last PT two weeks ago.

sick!

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:

That's exciting, hoping to hit around there within 2 or 3 PTs. I'd have to go back and triple check to make sure I went -0, -1, -1 on the first three sections though because I wouldn't even believe it haha.

My jaw dropped when I saw that first LR score. And I really thought I got wrecked by RC before I went through BR. after that I thought "welp, if these aren't the right answers I have no idea WTF they are"

Amerision

Bronze

Postby Amerision » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am

Any of you guys in the NY area and taking the free LSATs with the Princeton Review? I'm trying to emulate testing conditions as closely as possible, so hopefully this will be a good experience.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 pm

Amerision wrote:Any of you guys in the NY area and taking the free LSATs with the Princeton Review? I'm trying to emulate testing conditions as closely as possible, so hopefully this will be a good experience.

thinking about it

only issue is them giving a PT i've already done before. so if I decide to go for it, I might call in advance to find out if it would be worth it for me or not

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Took PT 59 this weekend, and while I was doing it I realized that both of the LR sections I had seen before (probably in November), since several questions stood out to me as if from a distant vague memories, which is probably because the last time around I had focused on those that I struggled with. Either way, doubt this score was very representative since I got a 179....

Then 172 on PT 61 this weekend, more accurate. -4 LG, -3 RC (Ughhh)

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Amerision wrote:Any of you guys in the NY area and taking the free LSATs with the Princeton Review? I'm trying to emulate testing conditions as closely as possible, so hopefully this will be a good experience.

I am -- on May 14th. I'm also doing Manhattan Prep and Kaplan. Really didn't do well when I took it live, so I'm hoping that this helps me mellow into testing conditions and also motivate me to keep on studying.

zkyggi wrote:Does anybody play music when they study?

I used to, but only in libraries. Now I just listen to music while reviewing/BR. It's kind of a soft incentive after completing a PT.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:14 pm

potus wrote:

I am -- on May 14th. I'm also doing Manhattan Prep and Kaplan. Really didn't do well when I took it live, so I'm hoping that this helps me mellow into testing conditions and also motivate me to keep on studying

I want to do one but my only issue is that the Princeton one is a journey for me to get to. might look into Kaplan and Manhattan.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:48 pm

anyone reading any fun books? i should get some reading in. i find that it really helps with rc

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Took my first practice tests: 174, 177, 178. Promising start, but I was PTing around the same and hit a 168 on the real thing last time 'round.

Does anyone know any solutions to such large-scale under-performance? I'm worried the same will happen this time too.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:59 pm

88234 wrote:Took my first practice tests: 174, 177, 178. Promising start, but I was PTing around the same and hit a 168 on the real thing last time 'round.

Does anyone know any solutions to such large-scale under-performance? I'm worried the same will happen this time too.

do you have any idea why you dropped

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:01 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
88234 wrote:Took my first practice tests: 174, 177, 178. Promising start, but I was PTing around the same and hit a 168 on the real thing last time 'round.

Logic games. I got crushed. I missed key inferences on three of the games.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:08 pm

88234 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

lol im in a similar boat to you then. (didnt reset watch, -8 in games and got a 167)

yeah its hard because you want to stay fresh with everything. how many PTs did you take before? you might just need to get used to operating under time.

it also could be a test day thing . maybe you needed more games warmup?

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
88234 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:

lol im in a similar boat to you then. (didnt reset watch, -8 in games and got a 167)

yeah its hard because you want to stay fresh with everything. how many PTs did you take before? you might just need to get used to operating under time.

it also could be a test day thing . maybe you needed more games warmup?

I had 25 timed PTs under my belt before test day; I'm hoping it was simply a fluke and I perform up to expectations on this one. I was just wondering if anyone had any strategies for this specific problem, other than drilling to death (which is what I'll do anyway)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?