The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Been doing a lot of the earlier PTs. Any of you guys find the wording on the earlier tests to be really weird sometimes? I'm guessing they've probably changed since 1993/94. Haven't really touched the newer ones yet but I'm wondering how they compare.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:09 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Been doing a lot of the earlier PTs. Any of you guys find the wording on the earlier tests to be really weird sometimes? I'm guessing they've probably changed since 1993/94. Haven't really touched the newer ones yet but I'm wondering how they compare.

100% yes. I find the new tests way more straightforward. There was some ambiguous language in the early tests that would frustrate me. I've been working on a lot of early tests since this is my retake.

Amerision

Bronze

Postby Amerision » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Looks like a bunch of you are taking at the Downtown Marriott as well! I'll do a bird call to round up all the TLSers/Redditors lol.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:40 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Been doing a lot of the earlier PTs. Any of you guys find the wording on the earlier tests to be really weird sometimes? I'm guessing they've probably changed since 1993/94. Haven't really touched the newer ones yet but I'm wondering how they compare.

On some of the older tests, I occasionally come across a question that is extremely ambiguous, even after I've reviewed it and looked up an explanation online. The newer tests seem to be a little better. Regardless, the ambiguous questions seem to be the rare exception on both old and new tests.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:04 am

I have been working through the LG Bible and it feels like things are finally starting to click better. I did some in/out games yesterday (they are my nemesis) and they went soooo much better than they have been before. Changing from a vertical setup to a horizontal setup has helped a ton!

YetSas81

New

Postby YetSas81 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm

I did see a few responses on this. But still asking, is anyone else signed up for the digital LSAT pilot test for more practice? I am signed up for the June test so I wouldn't get the report until after taking the official exam anyway. Just curious to see if people think its worth doing...

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Amerision wrote:Looks like a bunch of you are taking at the Downtown Marriott as well! I'll do a bird call to round up all the TLSers/Redditors lol.

do it bruhh

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:18 pm

Did awful on an RC individual section today, fml

Any proven strategies on this? I used to be so good at RC (never worse than -3) now I can't even make that.

Help

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:23 pm

I did my best LG today, -1, and my mistake was a stupid one. I was stoked about it, then I went -6 on LR and immediately went back to worrying about June.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

njames1961

New

Postby njames1961 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 pm

zkyggi wrote:I did my best LG today, -1, and my mistake was a stupid one. I was stoked about it, then I went -6 on LR and immediately went back to worrying about June.

Same here, one step forward one step back always

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 pm

Signed up for 3 live practice LSAT tests in NYC for 4/22, 5/14, and 6/3! Decided to diversify and get one in through Manhattan Prep, Princeton Review, and Kaplan. Had been prepping in high 160s but completely fall apart during the real test. Anybody else planning to do live practice tests?

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:18 pm

YetSas81 wrote:I did see a few responses on this. But still asking, is anyone else signed up for the digital LSAT pilot test for more practice? I am signed up for the June test so I wouldn't get the report until after taking the official exam anyway. Just curious to see if people think its worth doing...

Probably worth taking simply to help combat test anxiety and get a little practice in a proctored environment, where nerves and pressure are likely to play a bigger role

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:20 pm

zkyggi wrote:I did my best LG today, -1, and my mistake was a stupid one. I was stoked about it, then I went -6 on LR and immediately went back to worrying about June.

-6 per section? Or -6 for both sections? There's a big difference.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 pm

potus wrote:Signed up for 3 live practice LSAT tests in NYC for 4/22, 5/14, and 6/3! Decided to diversify and get one in through Manhattan Prep, Princeton Review, and Kaplan. Had been prepping in high 160s but completely fall apart during the real test. Anybody else planning to do live practice tests?

thought you already deposited at dozo?

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:37 pm

Mikey wrote:
potus wrote:Signed up for 3 live practice LSAT tests in NYC for 4/22, 5/14, and 6/3! Decided to diversify and get one in through Manhattan Prep, Princeton Review, and Kaplan. Had been prepping in high 160s but completely fall apart during the real test. Anybody else planning to do live practice tests?

I did. I went with shaka's plan to deposit, and then retake in June. Only will be reconsidering dozo if I score upper 160s on the test. If not, I'll be happy to go this Fall!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 pm

potus wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I did. I went with shaka's plan to deposit, and then retake in June. Only will be reconsidering dozo if I score upper 160s on the test. If not, I'll be happy to go this Fall!

Oh I see. Best of luck! :mrgreen:

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:01 pm

Platopus wrote:

-6 on one section, -1 on the other. I finished my -6 section in ~29 mins and went back to go over answers, I changed two from correct to incorrect. It is a common problem I've been having on the "tougher" questions. I'm seriously inconsistent on LR. My RC is consistent at -0/-2 and LG is steadily going up so I'm trying to keep my motivation up.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:51 pm

zkyggi wrote:
Platopus wrote:

-6 on one section, -1 on the other. I finished my -6 section in ~29 mins and went back to go over answers, I changed two from correct to incorrect. It is a common problem I've been having on the "tougher" questions. I'm seriously inconsistent on LR. My RC is consistent at -0/-2 and LG is steadily going up so I'm trying to keep my motivation up.

Even with a -6, a -1 on the other LR, a -2 on RC and a -1 on LG, you're almost definitely in the 170 territory. However, 29 minutes seems a little quick. Did you miss any questions toward the beginning, or were they clustered toward the end?

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:53 am

Platopus wrote: Even with a -6, a -1 on the other LR, a -2 on RC and a -1 on LG, you're almost definitely in the 170 territory. However, 29 minutes seems a little quick. Did you miss any questions toward the beginning, or were they clustered toward the end?

I missed 4 in the first 11 questions. On the next 15 I missed the two that I went back to change after I finished. Pacing LR is really hard for me because if I start thinking too much for each question (like I do when I check answers during leftover time) I second guess my answers in reallllllly stupid ways...

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:09 am

zkyggi wrote:
Platopus wrote: Even with a -6, a -1 on the other LR, a -2 on RC and a -1 on LG, you're almost definitely in the 170 territory. However, 29 minutes seems a little quick. Did you miss any questions toward the beginning, or were they clustered toward the end?

I missed 4 in the first 11 questions. On the next 15 I missed the two that I went back to change after I finished. Pacing LR is really hard for me because if I start thinking too much for each question (like I do when I check answers during leftover time) I second guess my answers in reallllllly stupid ways...

Skip. I started finishing LR early or at least on time by just forcing myself to skip.

If you read a stimulus and have no clue what's going on, if you're a fast reader then go through it again quickly and if nothing then skip it. I usually skip parallel questions as well if they're lengthy, unless they're towards the beginning in which they have a higher chance of just being very simple. This way, instead of going back and second guessing yourself, you go back with more of a clear mind of that question.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 am

I've been doing this thing on LG, and only on LG, where I'll skip over super important details somehow. The question will ask something like "if F is selected, which of the follow must be false" and I'll totally skip over the "if F is selected" part somehow and give myself a huge headache and waste a bunch of time before I catch it. I never do it on LR or RC. Weird.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:52 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I've been doing this thing on LG, and only on LG, where I'll skip over super important details somehow. The question will ask something like "if F is selected, which of the follow must be false" and I'll totally skip over the "if F is selected" part somehow and give myself a huge headache and waste a bunch of time before I catch it. I never do it on LR or RC. Weird.

o.O how bro? lol. I feel like it's easier to skip over things in LR/RC than LG.

zkyggi

Bronze

Postby zkyggi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I've been doing this thing on LG, and only on LG, where I'll skip over super important details somehow. The question will ask something like "if F is selected, which of the follow must be false" and I'll totally skip over the "if F is selected" part somehow and give myself a huge headache and waste a bunch of time before I catch it. I never do it on LR or RC. Weird.

A few days ago I totally forgot a rule on an LG question and I sat there about to pull my hair out because none of the answers were correct.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:12 am

Mikey wrote:

I have no idea, man. lol. I'll be sitting there for 5 minutes on one question screaming "NONE OF THESE HAVE TO BE FALSE." I've been kind of frustrated with studying lately so maybe it's a side effect of that.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I have no idea, man. lol. I'll be sitting there for 5 minutes on one question screaming "NONE OF THESE HAVE TO BE FALSE." I've been kind of frustrated with studying lately so maybe it's a side effect of that.

take time off.

I used to always think that I needed to continuously study, but I've taken some time off of the LSAT and I went back to it very lightly a few days ago and my head is so much more clearer for it now. just take a few days off, it will help, trust me!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?