The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to

Is this a prof you're getting/or got a letter of rec from? If so, I'd be slightly iffy about having a LOR from her if she's trying to talk you out of law school.

Funny you mention that because I asked her if she would she would be willing to write an LOR and she said "I will if you really want me to, but I don't think law school is right for you." so yeah, she's out lol. Really nice woman though.

Luckily, I have other professors to get LORs from.

oh alright. yeah, personally I would count her out as well. screw that lol

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Alexandros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:33 pm

dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to

I feel like this is what's gonna happen when I go trying to ask for LS LoRs. Law school isn't a common route for people with my degree, and I feel like a lot of people don't like lawyers. :roll:

njames1961

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby njames1961 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 pm

dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to talk me out of law school and convince me to get a PhD in history. She says it's a "shame" I'm going to law school bc of my "potential as a scholar," and that she can get my foot in thw door for Columbia's doctoral program because, of course, she "knows people" (she did her doctorate there).

Out of politeness, I told her I'd think about her proposal (IDK how much she really could make it happen; professors tend to overestimate their influence on these things). Given the dismal job prospects in academia, particularly in the humanities, I'm not really considering it though.


I originally wanted to do that too actually (the history phd) - but it just feels not worth the 6 year slog to end up as a poorly paid adjunct moonlighting as an SAT tutor...

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:05 pm

njames1961 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to talk me out of law school and convince me to get a PhD in history. She says it's a "shame" I'm going to law school bc of my "potential as a scholar," and that she can get my foot in thw door for Columbia's doctoral program because, of course, she "knows people" (she did her doctorate there).

Out of politeness, I told her I'd think about her proposal (IDK how much she really could make it happen; professors tend to overestimate their influence on these things). Given the dismal job prospects in academia, particularly in the humanities, I'm not really considering it though.


I originally wanted to do that too actually (the history phd) - but it just feels not worth the 6 year slog to end up as a poorly paid adjunct moonlighting as an SAT tutor...


My thoughts exactly. The academic job market is bad enough that even if I were to go to Columbia the chances of me landing a tenure track position are still like 1/10. Not worth the opportunity cost (and the literal cost) IMO.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:09 pm

NavyNuke wrote:When LG finally click and you start going -0/-1 consistently :D :D :D

Followed immediately by :shock: :shock: :shock: when you realize how close June 12 is and you are running out of time to stop sucking at RC and pick up a couple points in LR... Ugh I really don't want to retake in September.


Great news, congrats! If that ever happened to me I could score like 175 on the real thing bc of my strength in LR and RC.* How did you improve on timing? That's my main issue - I can go -0/-1 on almost every game but they still take me 10-15 minutes each to do.

*Big "if" though.

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:22 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:When LG finally click and you start going -0/-1 consistently :D :D :D

Followed immediately by :shock: :shock: :shock: when you realize how close June 12 is and you are running out of time to stop sucking at RC and pick up a couple points in LR... Ugh I really don't want to retake in September.


Great news, congrats! If that ever happened to me I could score like 175 on the real thing bc of my strength in LR and RC.* How did you improve on timing? That's my main issue - I can go -0/-1 on almost every game but they still take me 10-15 minutes each to do.

*Big "if" though.

Time was my biggest hurdle too. It just took a lot of drilling. When I was practicing the different types of games I tried to focus on getting better at quickly recognizing which rule or sets of rules were the ones around which I could split the game board and make more inferences. Having multiple mostly filled out game boards filled in before going after the questions really helped my time.


Thanks for the advice. i guess I just have to put in the time - simple as that. It's discouraging though because for every easy game that I take down in 6-7 minutes it seems like a get a hard game that takes me 20 and makes me sad haha.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Walliums » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 pm

dm1683 wrote:Thanks for the advice. i guess I just have to put in the time - simple as that. It's discouraging though because for every easy game that I take down in 6-7 minutes it seems like a get a hard game that takes me 20 and makes me sad haha.


Ditto, lol!

NavyNuke

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby NavyNuke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 pm

.
Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm

amta wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:


OG TAR

Going back to my roots

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Hoping to start my new job soon but also trying to get some apps out for masters programs and starting to study. It's a lot to think about. It's weird because each day feels like I have a ton of time but then miraculously there is none


So true- its wild and frustrating sometimes haha. Best of luck! What types of masters programs are you looking at?


I'm looking at polo sci/ir programs. I'm hoping I can snag a year long program before ls.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 pm

amta wrote:
which ORCS?


Geneva. I happen to know the individuals that are organizing the tournament, and was kindly offered the opportunity to judge. It's a good time to actually sit on the other side of the bench, and at the ORC level, they usually have some sitting county judges, so you get to meet some interesting people and do a little hobnobbing.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby amta » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Platopus wrote:


yeah judging is very fun. my kids are in fresno. have fun at geneva though!

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 pm

dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to talk me out of law school and convince me to get a PhD in history. She says it's a "shame" I'm going to law school bc of my "potential as a scholar," and that she can get my foot in thw door for Columbia's doctoral program because, of course, she "knows people" (she did her doctorate there).

Out of politeness, I told her I'd think about her proposal (IDK how much she really could make it happen; professors tend to overestimate their influence on these things). Given the dismal job prospects in academia, particularly in the humanities, I'm not really considering it though.


I became quite close to a professor in college, and he admitted to me that was the one thing in life that kept him up at night. He hated how all his colleagues would pressure students into academia. He was real straight with me about the job prospects of a humanities PHd. Told me to only consider it if you think the experience in it self would be intrinsically valuable. I thought about it, but couldn't justify the gamble. Even the top programs have hard times placing students.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 am

Walliums wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Thanks for the advice. i guess I just have to put in the time - simple as that. It's discouraging though because for every easy game that I take down in 6-7 minutes it seems like a get a hard game that takes me 20 and makes me sad haha.


Ditto, lol!


I'm like this too. Then you watch a 7sage video where he explains in detail the game and each question and it's half as long as it took you to do it lol.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 am

just out of curiosity,

anyone here use 7sage Nicole's RC notation strategy?

User avatar
88234

Bronze
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby 88234 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am

I have the opposite problem most people do. I consistently get -2/-1/-0 on RC, but jesus I always make dumb-ass errors on LG, resulting in -4 pretty consistently, usually because I rush through the question. Sigh.

njames1961

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby njames1961 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 am

Mikey wrote:just out of curiosity,

anyone here use 7sage Nicole's RC notation strategy?


No, but would be interested to know what this strategy is.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 am

njames1961 wrote:
Mikey wrote:just out of curiosity,

anyone here use 7sage Nicole's RC notation strategy?


No, but would be interested to know what this strategy is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4puXXT_gU&t=4577s

njames1961

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby njames1961 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:37 pm

General question, how do you all time yourselves doing full PTs, especially when you're doing it in a public place like a library? Do you use an analog wristwatch and supplement that with the virtual proctor? Or do you use actual timers that you can reset for each section?

I'm trying to mimic testing conditions, by not making it too easy for me to check how much time I have left (via a timer), but I also don't want to botch the strict timing of each section...

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm

njames1961 wrote:General question, how do you all time yourselves doing full PTs, especially when you're doing it in a public place like a library? Do you use an analog wristwatch and supplement that with the virtual proctor? Or do you use actual timers that you can reset for each section?

I'm trying to mimic testing conditions, by not making it too easy for me to check how much time I have left (via a timer), but I also don't want to botch the strict timing of each section...

You can listen to the 7sage proctor on your comp with headphones and dim out the screen then you'd only have the verbal stuffs


Eta or phone too

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Making pretty good progress in the Bible and should be done soon. Debating if I should take a PT or drill. A PT wouldn't really be a gauge of anything crept my ability to concentrate for 4 hours lol

User avatar
Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Side note, does anyone in dc know any good test centers? Last I heard there aren't really any and you'd have to go to nova

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Have a professor trying to talk me out of law school and convince me to get a PhD in history. She says it's a "shame" I'm going to law school bc of my "potential as a scholar," and that she can get my foot in thw door for Columbia's doctoral program because, of course, she "knows people" (she did her doctorate there).

Out of politeness, I told her I'd think about her proposal (IDK how much she really could make it happen; professors tend to overestimate their influence on these things). Given the dismal job prospects in academia, particularly in the humanities, I'm not really considering it though.


I became quite close to a professor in college, and he admitted to me that was the one thing in life that kept him up at night. He hated how all his colleagues would pressure students into academia. He was real straight with me about the job prospects of a humanities PHd. Told me to only consider it if you think the experience in it self would be intrinsically valuable. I thought about it, but couldn't justify the gamble. Even the top programs have hard times placing students.


My thoughts exactly. She's a great prof and a genuinely decent person - I just think she just suffers from the whole "well I made it, so can everyone!" mentality which afflicts many successful people and contributes to our country's collective delusion of meritocracy.

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:Making pretty good progress in the Bible and should be done soon.


Hey man, I get that you're a man of faith and everything but you need to be studying for the LSAT. Save the Scriptures for the summer before you matriculate at Stanford.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests