The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:every week before last week was 20, mostly untimed drilling. last week was hell. I was supposed to do a pt Sunday but someone screwed up so I ended up spending my Sunday at work and unable to pt efficiently. you're at a high level now right? you may be okay for June, I just need to be 100% confident I can pull a 177.
I need to be confident that I can get a score that gets me a full ride to Cooley :/
the florida campus or the michigan campus?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:01 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:every week before last week was 20, mostly untimed drilling. last week was hell. I was supposed to do a pt Sunday but someone screwed up so I ended up spending my Sunday at work and unable to pt efficiently. you're at a high level now right? you may be okay for June, I just need to be 100% confident I can pull a 177.
I need to be confident that I can get a score that gets me a full ride to Cooley :/
thinking FL, but not too sure yet. whichever campus has the best coffee shop is what I'm basing my decision on tbh

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:11 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
thinking FL, but not too sure yet. whichever campus has the best coffee shop is what I'm basing my decision on tbh
Fl or bust then. Plus it is near the Scientology headquarters so you can get a free thetan reading.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:19 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Fl or bust then. Plus it is near the Scientology headquarters so you can get a free thetan reading.
yeah man. I'm also applying to Florida coastal but with my current 120, I think I might get WL'd. I'm willing to ride it out though if so!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:32 am

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
yeah man. I'm also applying to Florida coastal but with my current 120, I think I might get WL'd. I'm willing to ride it out though if so!
Damn dude, that is super elite for LS. I am thinking Barry but idk if I have the gpa for them. are you willing to pay sticker?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:34 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Damn dude, that is super elite for LS. I am thinking Barry but idk if I have the gpa for them. are you willing to pay sticker?
yeah for sure id pay sticker for Cooley or Florida coastal

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/floridacoastal/ these employment stats are pretty promising man!

(side note: that is fucking ridiculous how many grads they pump out WTF???)

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:41 am

Mikey wrote: yeah for sure id pay sticker for Cooley or Florida coastal

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/floridacoastal/ these employment stats are pretty promising man!

Me yesterday: idk if i would take any school that lands me over 50 grand in debt
Some person: FL COASTAL FOR $300,000? SIGN ME UP.
LST might be one of the most useful websites ever btw.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Did section 4 (LR) of pt9, and this section is terrible. Super vague questions and answers, poorly worded, unclear. I went on the manhattan prep forums for some clarity, but even there, there wasn't really a clear consensus for some of the questions. Pain in the ass.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Worked on 4 RC passages (each of a different subject matter)
-2,-2,-1,-0

lol I hate RC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:50 pm

My biggest gripe about RC is that a -3 RC section feels exactly like a -0 RC section to me. For LR and LG, I at least can usually tell when some of the questions got away.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:My biggest gripe about RC is that a -3 RC section feels exactly like a -0 RC section to me. For LR and LG, I at least can usually tell when some of the questions got away.
IKR? Exactly my experience.

Anyway, I did an LG section (untimed) in the middle of Union Station's food court today and went -1. Still took me 45-50 minutes but this is encouraging nonetheless with 2.5-3 months remaining.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Got my 5th WL yesterday. Really need to ramp up the studying so I can get a better score :|

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

Me yesterday: idk if i would take any school that lands me over 50 grand in debt
Look at their enrollment in 2010... it was more than double what it is now. Absolutely abhorrent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Look at their enrollment in 2010... it was more than double what it is now. Absolutely abhorrent.
Hey it's going down...that's a good thing right?

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Just scored my first PT.

PT 32: 165
LR1; -4
RC: -6
LG: -6
LR2: -4

I did a 5th section LR and scored -5. So pretty consistent with where I'm at right now.

I found this games section to be very difficult. Part of the difficulty was that there was a double layered sequencing game that gave me absolutely zero space to work, I scored -3 on that game alone. Very frustrating. I reviewed all of the sections. I completed each section with time remaining, for LR I was accurate in doing 15 in 15. My wrong answers came within the last 10 questions. I need to slow down after the 15 in 15, I have a hard time shifting pace.

For RC, the questions that got to me were mostly "inference" based questions. I think I have to take a look at the scope of those questions. For inference, my understanding now is that the correct answer should be broader in scope, looking at the big picture of the passage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The next couple days I will spend re-doing the RC passages and games that I didn't go -0, and drilling flaw/weaken. I will also take a couple more full sections before taking another PT on Saturday. 170 here we come!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:01 pm

dm1683 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Oh - for sure. John Oliver should do a segment on law degree mills like he did for profit colleges. Absolute scam. I actually would love to attend some schools recruitment events to see how they paint the value of the degree.

When searching for explanations, do any of you ever search by form code or pretty much exclusively by PT ###?

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:28 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Oh - for sure. John Oliver should do a segment on law degree mills like he did for profit colleges. Absolute scam. I actually would love to attend some schools recruitment events to see how they paint the value of the degree.

When searching for explanations, do any of you ever search by form code or pretty much exclusively by PT ###?

Pt#

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Pt#
Thanks for info... I sort of figured that was the case for most people.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Pt#

Yeah I usually just google the PT#s#Q# or if I'm using like lsathacks I'll go straight there

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Pt#

Yeah I usually just google the PT#s#Q# or if I'm using like lsathacks I'll go straight there
Understood - that's what I did as well. I was just wondering if I should include it on my page.

On a totally unrelated note, you should totally use 180pedia.com where there are links to every 7Sage, LSATHacks, Manhattan Prep, PowerScore. and Velocity LSAT explanations when they are available ;) so you don't need to fumble through those forums!

Not the I'm biased ;)

Either way, I appreciate the insight!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:Just scored my first PT.

PT 32: 165
LR1; -4
RC: -6
LG: -6
LR2: -4

I did a 5th section LR and scored -5. So pretty consistent with where I'm at right now.

I found this games section to be very difficult. Part of the difficulty was that there was a double layered sequencing game that gave me absolutely zero space to work, I scored -3 on that game alone. Very frustrating. I reviewed all of the sections. I completed each section with time remaining, for LR I was accurate in doing 15 in 15. My wrong answers came within the last 10 questions. I need to slow down after the 15 in 15, I have a hard time shifting pace.

For RC, the questions that got to me were mostly "inference" based questions. I think I have to take a look at the scope of those questions. For inference, my understanding now is that the correct answer should be broader in scope, looking at the big picture of the passage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The next couple days I will spend re-doing the RC passages and games that I didn't go -0, and drilling flaw/weaken. I will also take a couple more full sections before taking another PT on Saturday. 170 here we come!
I'm pretty much the opposite in regards to the bolded. I need to slow down a bit on the first 15, I'm usually pretty good with the last 10. LR is definitely my weakness.

Anyways, a 165 is still a pretty good score, especially since you have room in LG. Just keep drilling, and I think LG will improve. Double layer sequencing games are pretty tough, but conquerable.

For RC, I found that slowing down in the passages really helped. My understanding is that Inference questions are essentially MBT questions. If the author (of the portion of the passage in question) wouldn't agree with it, the AC is wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Platopus wrote:
For RC, I found that slowing down in the passages really helped. My understanding is that Inference questions are essentially MBT questions. If the author (of the portion of the passage in question) wouldn't agree with it, the AC is wrong.
Thank you for the tip! That actually makes sense. The author can't infer something that they wouldn't agree with.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am

You guys ever do 4 timed sections of a pt separately (not all in one sitting) and just peek to see what your score would've been? I know it's kinda cheating but in that case I got a 171 on my last pt lol. Gotta have a confidence booster every now and then, that's my justification.

mmorrell94

New

Post by mmorrell94 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Can somebody discuss/refer me to a discussion of recent trends in LG? When I was last studying (2014) irregular game types were making a comeback. Curious if that's still the case.

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:13 pm

mmorrell94 wrote:Can somebody discuss/refer me to a discussion of recent trends in LG? When I was last studying (2014) irregular game types were making a comeback. Curious if that's still the case.
Miscellaneous type games showed up as the last game for the September and December test last year. Not sure about this year's February test. I would count on at least one to try to throw you a loop. My strategy on those was to first and foremost remain calm and stick to the process I had outlined (writing out the game board and pieces, writing out the rules, applying pieces to the gameboard, making inferences and fleshing out as much of the remainder of the game as possible before attacking each question).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”