The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Also, someone talk me out of buying a new LR Bible. My old one has my weird highlights everywhere and I'm not jiving with MH

You don't need a new LR bible, as Trump would say, "you know it, I know it, everyone knows it."

I know, I'll probably stick with my old one and buy 2x copies of PT72 & 79 cause of them weird games and 79s RC.

Just run them through a copier, not worth the 8 bucks IMO to buy a new set. Also, look at the weird games from 1-20 too, there's actually quite a few that have some weird set ups.

That is what I did for my drill copies of PT7-45 and my brains hurt. One thing I want to do for April 12-June 12 is create a folder of weird and hard games (segregated by type) and drill them in between PTs. I know if I can get those down as well as my confidence (lmao no) I can pull 177s; we will find out the 12th.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:33 am

PT today, let's see how that goes *thumbs up emoji*

E: I just want to thank the PT I took today for fucking my confidence without lube

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Pretty happy with my week of studying. I wasn't impressed with my effort the last 2 weeks, so I had some extra motivation this week.

-3 on 20 Flaw Questions
-2 on 20 Assumption Questions

-3 on each of my two full LR sections

-6/-2 On 2 full RC sections (need some consistency here.......obviously)

-1 on each of my 2 full LG sections

Feeling pretty good this far out. Haven't taken a PT yet. With a goal of 168, I want to make sure I'm PTing in the 173+ range before June.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 pm

tmwnn

New

Postby tmwnn » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 am

-1 on 58 sufficient assumption questions/cambridge pack. i didn't strictly time myself, though. so i'm not sure whether this is good news or not, since accuracy has never been a problem for me. i wish i could say the same about timing.

give me 38 mins instead of 35, i'm above 170. since this is not an option, i need to do something about my timing issues before it's too late.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 am

tmwnn wrote:-1 on 58 sufficient assumption questions/cambridge pack. i didn't strictly time myself, though. so i'm not sure whether this is good news or not, since accuracy has never been a problem for me. i wish i could say the same about timing.

give me 38 mins instead of 35, i'm above 170. since this is not an option, i need to do something about my timing issues before it's too late.

Damn thats some beast accuracy! Time comes with time and practice.. Accuracy is much harder to achieve..so, cheers!

Also, sick avatar. Bringing back old memories haha

iyo94

New

Postby iyo94 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 am

clueless801 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Instrumental wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Officially checking in folks! Wrote the test yesterday, and given that I did not go -0 on LG, super motivated to start studying again in a few weeks. Thinking about purchasing one of those LSAT watches - anyone have experience with this and can testify to how much it helped them?

I found that the mastermind LSAT watch helped immensely with my timing. Especially in RC. For some reason, those color coded 8'45" segments just clicked with me.

i don't think he sells them anymore

There's a version called the Perfect Score Watch that was recommended to me by a girl I met at the test.

I have a mastermind watch that I'm willing to sell. It's pretty much brand new I've only used it twice. PM me if you're interested.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:54 pm

When you go perfect on an LG question type: :D

When you see you took 50 minutes to do it: :(

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Checking back in after two weeks of not touching any prep materials. Really have fallen off, not sure why (getting back to work, personal issues perhaps).

Not here to complain, but just to chime in. I'm sure going through some of the recent posts will help re-motivate me.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:12 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:When you go perfect on an LG question type: :D

pertaining to timing, you'll get there, trust me! I've been in your position and now LG is my best section. Good shit on the -0!

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Problem: I average 1.8-1.9 minutes per question irrespective of testing section, which I've experienced as being unconducive to finishing each section completely without guesses (which are usually likely to be misses).

How do I decrease my time taken per question? 1 minute irrespective of section per question is my goal, as that virtually guarantees I'll always have time to go back and look at questions I might have been unsure about.

Would love to get any helpful advice on this.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Mikey wrote:

pertaining to timing, you'll get there, trust me! I've been in your position and now LG is my best section. Good shit on the -0!

I've been trying to convince myself that the speed will come naturally. Feeling good today but it doesn't take much to rattle the confidence haha, one bad section and I convince myself I'm doomed.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:52 pm

hcss11 wrote:Problem: I average 1.8-1.9 minutes per question irrespective of testing section, which I've experienced as being unconducive to finishing each section completely without guesses (which are usually likely to be misses).

How do I decrease my time taken per question? 1 minute irrespective of section per question is my goal, as that virtually guarantees I'll always have time to go back and look at questions I might have been unsure about.

I'd say trust your instincts and your elimination technique. On Logical Reasoning I feel like once you're comfortable with accuracy you can eliminate 2-4 answers relatively quickly. Then the remaining time is spent verifying the right answer.

For LR try to complete the first 10 questions in 10 minutes. Then move to 15 in 15 etc. The 15 in 15 helped me so much during my first take. I'd usually go -1 tops in the first 15. Then it was a matter of getting the tricky teens and 20's questions. I felt like I had so much adrenaline trying to work at this pace that it helped to keep me engaged through the whole section.

As for LG if you see the right answer go with it. Elimination is helpful, but if you see an answer that completely matches with the work you've done just go with it and move on. I usually try to eliminate all 4 incorrect answers. But sometimes if I get to C and C is definitely correct. I select it and move on. I can double check later if I have time.

RC I can't help you. Sorry :(

I hope this helped!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:56 pm

hcss11 wrote:Problem: I average 1.8-1.9 minutes per question irrespective of testing section, which I've experienced as being unconducive to finishing each section completely without guesses (which are usually likely to be misses).

I feel you, I'm a little slow on LG. How accurate are your answers? Some speed will come with more practice, but maybe isolate question types (like linear games in LG, or must be true/false in LR) and really pound those, try to get through 10 questions in 10 minutes like someone else already said. More familiarity with question types will surely increase your speed a little bit.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:07 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I've been trying to convince myself that the speed will come naturally. Feeling good today but it doesn't take much to rattle the confidence haha, one bad section and I convince myself I'm doomed.

What made me faster on LG was not going through all of the answers for each question unless you have to. Trust in your diagram(s) to get you the right answer, this way when you see an answer choice that seems right to you, just choose it and move on.

Do you draw out all possibilities before going into the questions or do you draw diagrams for each question? I do the latter, and advice I have for if you do this as well, is to do all of the "if" questions first and leave the CBT/MBT questions for last so you can eliminate answer choices for those with diagrams you've already done for other questions.

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Just took my first cold diagnostic (preptest 62, studying with The LSAT Trainer's 12-Week LSAT Study Schedule (here: http://bit.ly/2mZX2LI)).

RC: 12/27
LR(1): 14/26
LG: 4/23
LR(2): 14/26

Raw Score: 44
Reporting Score: 143

Now I'm looking for advice on how to improve 20-30 points by June. Helpful comments appreciated!

Last edited by hcss11 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:16 pm

My studying has halted due to drowning in mid-term exams and projects. Planning to resume weds evening, however, doing some problems here and there when i can, just not able to dedicate a guaranteed amount of study time the next few days.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Just checking in here after a bit. I've largely stopped doing PTs to instead focus on going through the material in the Powerscore LG and LR books. My sub conscience has been scolding me for trying to do well on something I know little about. I'll probably take an untimed PT each weekend just to have some measurement.

March will be my month to finish the reading material, which means April onward will be practice tests. Not sure if this is the best way to do this or not, especially when reading that many students take every test and sometimes more than once.

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:21 pm

hcss11 wrote:Just took my first cold diagnostic (preptest 62, studying with The LSAT Trainer's 12-Week LSAT Study Schedule (here: http://bit.ly/2mZX2LI)).

Now I'm looking for advice on how to improve 20-30 points by June. Helpful comments appreciated!

That is a lot in a short window of time. Are you a full-time studier or are you also in school/work? What resources are you using, just the Trainer?

Be prepared that you may not be prepared by June (and that's perfectly okay). Right now I would just focus on getting through the Trainer and learning the test. If you aren't using it already, 7Sage has a free analytics tool where you can plug in your answers and it will tell you what you are weak at. Right now though, you just need to get through the Trainer. You're going to be weak in pretty much everything right now.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Mikey wrote:What made me faster on LG was not going through all of the answers for each question unless you have to. Trust in your diagram(s) to get you the right answer, this way when you see an answer choice that seems right to you, just choose it and move on.

Do you draw out all possibilities before going into the questions or do you draw diagrams for each question? I do the latter, and advice I have for if you do this as well, is to do all of the "if" questions first and leave the CBT/MBT questions for last so you can eliminate answer choices for those with diagrams you've already done for other questions.

I do a diagram for each question. I've been trying to make it a habit to leave CBT/MBT for last, i just started doing that. I think my only issue is that I haven't really tried to work much faster, honestly, and I've been working with distractions, so maybe if i sat down in a quiet environment and made a real effort I might be ok. With 3 months to go I'm not too stressed about it though.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Just drilled Inferences and Main points

Need help with this one.

PT 37 Sec.2 #12
(c) Good soil is a prerequisite of good farming.

Does "prerequisite" signify a necessary or sufficient condition?
Is "Good soil" the necessary or sufficient term of good farming?
Last edited by calmike on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:43 pm

PT 37 Sec. 4 #8
I got this one wrong.

Does economic prosperity = economic wealth?

Commentator: In the new century, only nations with all the latest electronic technology will experience great economic prosperity. The people in these nations will be constantly bombarded with images of how people in other countries live. This will increase their tendency to question their own customs and traditions, leading to a dissolution of those custom and traditions. Hence, in the new century, the stability of a nation's cultural identity will likelyWhich one of the following most logically completes the commentator's argument?

(A) depend on a just distribution of electronic technology among all nations
(B) decrease if that nation comes to have a high level of economic wealth
(C) be ensured by laws that protect the customs and traditions of that culture
(D) be threatened only if the people of that culture fail to acquire the latest technical skills(
E) be best maintained by ensuring gradual assimilation

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't work so I'm for all intents and purposes a full-time studier. Might change if I get a job but for now that's where I am.

Walliums wrote:
hcss11 wrote:Just took my first cold diagnostic (preptest 62, studying with The LSAT Trainer's 12-Week LSAT Study Schedule (here: http://bit.ly/2mZX2LI)).

That is a lot in a short window of time. Are you a full-time studier or are you also in school/work? What resources are you using, just the Trainer?

Be prepared that you may not be prepared by June (and that's perfectly okay). Right now I would just focus on getting through the Trainer and learning the test. If you aren't using it already, 7Sage has a free analytics tool where you can plug in your answers and it will tell you what you are weak at. Right now though, you just need to get through the Trainer. You're going to be weak in pretty much everything right now.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:47 pm

1st timed LR and LG in a while PT48
LR: 25/26
LG: 21/22

Not too bad on the LR but I'm going to be a stickler for LG in-case my brain dies on RC, I need that to be -0. Speaking of RC, heavy drill day tomorrow. Been ducking that section for a few days.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 am

**Request for future posts requesting and giving assistance with PT problems: Please preface with a spoiler or something so I don't see problem I have yet to do. Thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?