The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
11
28%
F#$k YES!!!
6
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
22
56%
 
Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:12 pm

gaandrsn wrote:
Platopus wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:
Platopus wrote:Just took a PT and scored a 167, which is super frustrating. It was my first PT and it's still 7 points higher than my diagnostic, but I dropped 8 on RC and 3 in a row on the last 3 questions of LR2. Games and LR 1 went well, but still room for improvement. Also, testing conditions were terrible, soooooo many people talking loudly at the library today.

Oddly though, I'm actually happy that I am unhappy with a 167. 3 1/2 months is still a lot of time for improvement, and if I continue to push myself so that I am only happy with 175+, then I think I have a good shot of being where I want to by test day.


Sounds like you are in a great place with 3 1/2 months left! I'm taking my 2nd PT tomorrow. I went from 163 on diagnostic in December to 169 in early February, but feel like I got very luck on the logic games-it was PT37. I feel like I'm in a pretty good place for LR so I've been going through the LSAT Trainer Logic Games and RC, but also drilling with Voyagers RC strategy.


Sounds like you're in a solid position as well. Good luck on your PT today. I'll be starting the Trainer this week in hopes of improving RC. Have you found it helpful?


Thanks, ended up scoring a 166, went -6 on Reading Comprehension (ran out of time). I cant seem to get through all 4 passages yet. Also missed 5 of 26 on the first LR section. Looks like I have some review to do.

I haven't found the LSAT Trainer RC particularly helpful, but do think it's worth going through for the practice. My plan is to do more drilling using Voyager's strategy and work on my timing.

166 this far out is good dude; personally, I like the trainers minimalist approach to RC but to each his own. Timing is the last thing to come btw.

gaandrsn

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby gaandrsn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks, man. Does the timing just come with drilling or is it something you practice?

User avatar
AvatarMeelo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby AvatarMeelo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I think I checked in a few posts ago... but any retakers in here who took the February test? How have you guys planned your studying? I only just decided to start studying again today (even though scores come back this week) and am kind of in a bit of a loss about how to study. I might go through the Trainer again, and then drill after that.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:48 pm

gaandrsn wrote:Thanks, man. Does the timing just come with drilling or is it something you practice?

a little of column A a little of column B. I have been doing 10 unitmed passages this month to strengthen my base then 10 (probably 15-20) timed next month to solidify it. the only thing I personally am iffy on is keep going with the MH books, I'm about 3/5 the way through so far.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Interesting little write up on the psychology of cognitive performance and the clothing we wear. The study seems to suggest that wearing more formal clothing induces some sort of natural confidence that helps performance on cognitive tests. Don't think I'll be rocking a full on tux for the test, but I'm thinking business casual can't hurt. Just thought it was interesting enough to share!

Write up in Scientific American: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rformance/
Link to study abstract: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0615579462
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Platopus wrote:Interesting little write up on the psychology of cognitive performance and the clothing we wear. The study seems to suggest that wearing more formal clothing induces some sort of natural confidence that helps performance on cognitive tests. Don't think I'll be rocking a full on tux for the test, but I'm thinking business causal can't hurt. Just thought it was interesting enough to share!

Write up in Scientific American: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rformance/
Link to study abstract: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0615579462

inb4 this is our hardest RC passage.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:53 pm

gaandrsn wrote:I haven't found the LSAT Trainer RC particularly helpful, but do think it's worth going through for the practice. My plan is to do more drilling using Voyager's strategy and work on my timing.


Did you find that you dropped most of the RC points on one particular passage, especially if it was the comparative passage or the last passage?

I took a peek at the LSAT Trainer today, and was a little underwhelmed. I could see how if you were retaking it would be helpful, but I feel that overall, the book spends more time teaching you how to study, instead of the material you should be studying. Not that this is necessarily bad, but at my point in prep, I am looking for more concrete strategies and advice. I'll pick it up again in 4 weeks or so, before I start PTing and see if there are any insights that I just don't see the value in now.

gaandrsn

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby gaandrsn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:05 am

Platopus wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:I haven't found the LSAT Trainer RC particularly helpful, but do think it's worth going through for the practice. My plan is to do more drilling using Voyager's strategy and work on my timing.


Did you find that you dropped most of the RC points on one particular passage, especially if it was the comparative passage or the last passage?

I took a peek at the LSAT Trainer today, and was a little underwhelmed. I could see how if you were retaking it would be helpful, but I feel that overall, the book spends more time teaching you how to study, instead of the material you should be studying. Not that this is necessarily bad, but at my point in prep, I am looking for more concrete strategies and advice. I'll pick it up again in 4 weeks or so, before I start PTing and see if there are any insights that I just don't see the value in now.


Yeah, 4 of the 6 I missed on the same passage I didn't have time to finish. It was the 3rd passage (science) and looked hard so I skipped and completed the last passage. Missed 1 each on the 2nd and last passage.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Interesting little write up on the psychology of cognitive performance and the clothing we wear. The study seems to suggest that wearing more formal clothing induces some sort of natural confidence that helps performance on cognitive tests. Don't think I'll be rocking a full on tux for the test, but I'm thinking business causal can't hurt. Just thought it was interesting enough to share!

Write up in Scientific American: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... rformance/
Link to study abstract: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0615579462

inb4 this is our hardest RC passage.


Lol i wore a suit (no-tie) to my GMAT like a boss

User avatar
URMSenator52

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 am

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby URMSenator52 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 am

Long time Lurker of this thread. Just decided to post, I am also writing the June test. What school(s) are most of you guys applying to next cycle? What is your target LSAT score come June? Anyone looking at NYC/D.C. schools?

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 am

V
Last edited by Mikey on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
calmike

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby calmike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Platopus wrote:
calmike wrote:What do y'all think about the Powerscore 3 month study plan?

I am going to follow this schedule and then take as many PTs as I can.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/studentcenter/ ... y_plan.pdf



Seems a bit slow if you asked me. For example, 8 weeks out from the LSAT is not when I want to do my reading. Ideally, I've done all my reading, done 6 weeks of drilling and I am ramping up to do multiple PT's a week and INTENSIVE review, with focused drilling on other days. If you are still working your way through the Bibles 8 weeks out and are doing fundamental drills in the workbook 5-6 weeks out you won't have enough time to focus on the questions you are getting wrong. I am just of the opinion that any study schedule which has someone reviewing basic principles 6 weeks out from the exam is flawed. 6 weeks out you should have competency with with all questions, and mastery of most. The last 6 weeks you should being honing timing, working on stamina, and attempting to master the last few Q types that give you the most difficulty, not learning new information.

With that said, you know yourself best. If you need a rigid study plan to stay on track, then this might be the plan for you. I would bet you would still see significant improvement, but just not as much as if you self-studied on a faster study schedule.


What if I sped up the process and in the last 6 weeks, I could be taking as many PTs with serious review? I would take PTS 40-Current number.

User avatar
calmike

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby calmike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

calmike wrote:
Platopus wrote:
calmike wrote:What do y'all think about the Powerscore 3 month study plan?

I am going to follow this schedule and then take as many PTs as I can.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/studentcenter/ ... y_plan.pdf



Seems a bit slow if you asked me. For example, 8 weeks out from the LSAT is not when I want to do my reading. Ideally, I've done all my reading, done 6 weeks of drilling and I am ramping up to do multiple PT's a week and INTENSIVE review, with focused drilling on other days. If you are still working your way through the Bibles 8 weeks out and are doing fundamental drills in the workbook 5-6 weeks out you won't have enough time to focus on the questions you are getting wrong. I am just of the opinion that any study schedule which has someone reviewing basic principles 6 weeks out from the exam is flawed. 6 weeks out you should have competency with with all questions, and mastery of most. The last 6 weeks you should being honing timing, working on stamina, and attempting to master the last few Q types that give you the most difficulty, not learning new information.

With that said, you know yourself best. If you need a rigid study plan to stay on track, then this might be the plan for you. I would bet you would still see significant improvement, but just not as much as if you self-studied on a faster study schedule.


What if I sped up the process and in the last 6 weeks, I could be taking as many PTs with serious review? I would take PTS 40-Current number.


I've taken LSAT already and got a 160.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:Long time Lurker of this thread. Just decided to post, I am also writing the June test. What school(s) are most of you guys applying to next cycle? What is your target LSAT score come June? Anyone looking at NYC/D.C. schools?

Hi! Welcome!

I'm looking at NYC (born and raised) so I'd prefer to stay here but wouldn't mind going out of state for law school. looking at the t14 and a few schools outside the t14, but would prefer to go to a NYC school to reduce COL (would live at home) but if not, going out of state is totally cool. Target score: anything that would get me into some t14's with money! Haha

Butler and a little more plz.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:33 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:Long time Lurker of this thread. Just decided to post, I am also writing the June test. What school(s) are most of you guys applying to next cycle? What is your target LSAT score come June? Anyone looking at NYC/D.C. schools?

Hi! Welcome!

I'm looking at NYC (born and raised) so I'd prefer to stay here but wouldn't mind going out of state for law school. looking at the t14 and a few schools outside the t14, but would prefer to go to a NYC school to reduce COL (would live at home) but if not, going out of state is totally cool. Target score: anything that would get me into some t14's with money! Haha

Butler and a little more plz.


I want a Ruby. You normally need at least 3.9+/172 + good softs/WE to be in contention. Have the grades but softs are not spectacular and I'm KJD so my goal is 175+. Anything above 170 and I won't retake.

Applying to all of the t14 except NYU, Duke, Cornell and Gtown.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:37 pm

dm1683 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:Long time Lurker of this thread. Just decided to post, I am also writing the June test. What school(s) are most of you guys applying to next cycle? What is your target LSAT score come June? Anyone looking at NYC/D.C. schools?

Hi! Welcome!

I'm looking at NYC (born and raised) so I'd prefer to stay here but wouldn't mind going out of state for law school. looking at the t14 and a few schools outside the t14, but would prefer to go to a NYC school to reduce COL (would live at home) but if not, going out of state is totally cool. Target score: anything that would get me into some t14's with money! Haha

Butler and a little more plz.


I want a Ruby. You normally need at least 3.9+/172 + good softs/WE to be in contention. Have the grades but softs are not spectacular and I'm KJD so my goal is 175+. Anything above 170 and I won't retake.

Applying to all of the t14 except NYU, Duke, Cornell and Gtown.

Any reasons for not applying to those schools or do you just not like them, lol?

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Mikey wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:Long time Lurker of this thread. Just decided to post, I am also writing the June test. What school(s) are most of you guys applying to next cycle? What is your target LSAT score come June? Anyone looking at NYC/D.C. schools?

Hi! Welcome!

I'm looking at NYC (born and raised) so I'd prefer to stay here but wouldn't mind going out of state for law school. looking at the t14 and a few schools outside the t14, but would prefer to go to a NYC school to reduce COL (would live at home) but if not, going out of state is totally cool. Target score: anything that would get me into some t14's with money! Haha

Butler and a little more plz.


I want a Ruby. You normally need at least 3.9+/172 + good softs/WE to be in contention. Have the grades but softs are not spectacular and I'm KJD so my goal is 175+. Anything above 170 and I won't retake.

Applying to all of the t14 except NYU, Duke, Cornell and Gtown.

Any reasons for not applying to those schools or do you just not like them, lol?


I'm...not a fan of New York, let's just leave it there. And I want to practice close to home, in the Midwest (ideally Chicago). So NYU and Cornell are out (Columbia I'm applying to for negotiating purposes). Duke, IDK I'm LGBT so North Carolina doesn't really appeal to me all that much to say the least. And Georgetown is Georgetown.

There's my long-winded answer LOL.

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby tinycatfriend » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:44 pm

I had a 169; planning on retaking (unless I get into a great school) in June and budgeting a set amount of money for prep - should I tutor or take a course?

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:48 pm

I had planned on taking my first PT next week but I have a bunch of stuff to do for midterms so I'm moving it up to this Friday.

I'm planning on applying to the T14 minus Stanford, Berkeley and Georgetown.

User avatar
Walliums

Silver
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Walliums » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Back to the grind after a week on vacation and a week sick...

Probably going to get back into timed sections per day, I think. Definitely need to take a PT this weekend.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dm1683 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:38 pm

the first game from Jun 1992: WTF I can't even.

I'll have to check on the 7 sage explanation because this one screwed me big time.

User avatar
MediocreAtBest

Silver
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Went -5 on an RC section on pt7, I found 4 of the questions I got wrong were rather confusing and not worded as well as they could've been, I don't know if the test simply hasn't aged well since 1993 or what the issue is.

Took a highly distracted and rushed LR section and went -8 (yikes!), went back a couple days later and got all 8 correct, so I don't really know what to make of that lol.

Currently sitting around 165 but I think without careless errors I'd hit ~172. I'm feeling ok about that 3 months out, especially since I'm not past page 90 on any of my PS books.

dj9i27

Gold
Posts: 4367
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Me for the next 2 hours.
[+] Spoiler
Image


Going to finish up (or at least try to) the 19-28 LR&RC questions today, bout half way through so not an impossible feat.

You guys, I don't want to be too braggadocious but I'm going to kill this writing section.

gaandrsn

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby gaandrsn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Why no love for Georgetown on here? I'm interested in the Public Service/Political so was leaning towards Gtown as one of my top, but sounds like there is something I don't know...

Drilled the writing section for 8 hours this weekend-definitely going to get me that extra scholarship $$$.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:36 pm

URMSenator52 wrote:Long time Lurker of this thread. Just decided to post, I am also writing the June test. What school(s) are most of you guys applying to next cycle? What is your target LSAT score come June? Anyone looking at NYC/D.C. schools?


My target is a 176+, but I'll be happy with a 174, as that makes H realistic. Would really love to get H, but I would also be very happy with $$$ at Chicago or Northwestern. If my LSAT lands above a 169 then I'll be blanketing the T-14 with the exception of GULC, Cornell and Duke.

dm1683 wrote:
I'm...not a fan of New York, let's just leave it there. And I want to practice close to home, in the Midwest (ideally Chicago). So NYU and Cornell are out (Columbia I'm applying to for negotiating purposes). Duke, IDK I'm LGBT so North Carolina doesn't really appeal to me all that much to say the least. And Georgetown is Georgetown.

There's my long-winded answer LOL.


I had a good chuckle when I read this, being from Chicago(land), I too hate New York and will not be applying to GULC, Cornell or Duke pretty much no matter what, with similar hopes of practicing in Chicago, as well.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests