The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Platopus

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Algernon wrote:For LR and RC, people generally prefer Manhattan more than PowerScore right?

I think both have their place.Manhattan was an overall easier read, but I would still consider Powerscore required reading. In my opinion, Powerscore does a better job of explaining question categories and overall question wording/odd tips. Manhattan has overall better explanations for questions in drills, especially regarding wrong answers.

I Honestly didn't find Manhattan RC to be all that insightful, thought. I was really hoping for more thorough explanations in practice sections, and more detailed analysis about question/passage types, but don't recall any such thing. The books spends a fair amount of time going over timing strategies and what not that I found unnecessary. I have the Powerscore RC and have yet to open it.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Platopus wrote:
Algernon wrote:For LR and RC, people generally prefer Manhattan more than PowerScore right?

I think both have their place.Manhattan was an overall easier read, but I would still consider Powerscore required reading. In my opinion, Powerscore does a better job of explaining question categories and overall question wording/odd tips. Manhattan has overall better explanations for questions in drills, especially regarding wrong answers.

I Honestly didn't find Manhattan RC to be all that insightful, thought. I was really hoping for more thorough explanations in practice sections, and more detailed analysis about question/passage types, but don't recall any such thing. The books spends a fair amount of time going over timing strategies and what not that I found unnecessary. I have the Powerscore RC and have yet to open it.

I'm thinking of just dumping all RC from Manhattan and review the Trainers version if necessary.Talk me off a cliff guys.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 pm

8 or more hour day set up tomorrow to play catch up over my slacker days; did a lot of prep this morning and got 30/30 on LR (Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption/Flaw) and a packet of games today. A little bummed because I decided to opt out of my physique competition today, maybe next year.
[+] Spoiler

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:8 or more hour day set up tomorrow to play catch up over my slacker days; did a lot of prep this morning and got 30/30 on LR (Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption/Flaw) and a packet of games today. A little bummed because I decided to opt out of my physique competition today, maybe next year.

Rich Piana is such a douche lol

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:8 or more hour day set up tomorrow to play catch up over my slacker days; did a lot of prep this morning and got 30/30 on LR (Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption/Flaw) and a packet of games today. A little bummed because I decided to opt out of my physique competition today, maybe next year.

Rich Piana is such a douche lol

Look up mkaelus 2scoops, he does parody videos that make me laugh really hard but it has also become the most inside of jokes between the gym I'm at.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:13 am

[+] Spoiler

Damn yeah, i gotta put in work tomorrow as well. been slacking last 3 days. Why'd you opt out? Just distracting too much with LSAT?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Damn yeah, i gotta put in work tomorrow as well. been slacking last 3 days. Why'd you opt out? Just distracting too much with LSAT?

Yeah, 1800k a day isn't doing great either plus I feel weak as hell. I am just going on maintenance and maybe slightly over it because I want to be able to deadlift 600 before law school starts. Plus I've been in a bad spot psychologically this week (probably partially due to deficit) and I can't worry about routines and other bullshit.

Also I'm made of glass.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:47 am

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Yeah, 1800k a day isn't doing great either plus I feel weak as hell. I am just going on maintenance and maybe slightly over it because I want to be able to deadlift 600 before law school starts. Plus I've been in a bad spot psychologically this week (probably partially due to deficit) and I can't worry about routines and other bullshit.

Also I'm made of glass.

True, yeah gotta make sure your totally focused. I ramped up my prep and dialed in my calories the last two weeks. Doing carb cycling and its helping me with energy and not totally lose my shit on an intense cut. Its been keeping me motivated for school and LSAT too just having to be up early and on a routine.. Although, sometimes its definitely a pain worry about eating and getting the most out of your training etc. I wasnt planning on stepping on stage anytime soon though so I can imagine that little bit of added stress associated with that.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:51 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Also I'm made of glass.

True, yeah gotta make sure your totally focused. I ramped up my prep and dialed in my calories the last two weeks. Doing carb cycling and its helping me with energy and not totally lose my shit on an intense cut. Its been keeping me motivated for school and LSAT too just having to be up early and on a routine.. Although, sometimes its definitely a pain worry about eating and getting the most out of your training etc. I wasnt planning on stepping on stage anytime soon though so I can imagine that little bit of added stress associated with that.

cutting is lame I'm in the high 190s now but just want to say fuck it and go back to 220. I was going to go compete in may but my arms are still super lagging and I need to bring them up, thanks high bicep inserts.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:59 am

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Also I'm made of glass.

cutting is lame I'm in the high 190s now but just want to say fuck it and go back to 220. I was going to go compete in may but my arms are still super lagging and I need to bring them up, thanks high bicep inserts.

Haha i feel you. Cutting isnt as much fun. Im at 213 rn and im trying to get back to wear my full abs are visible. I'm prob ~10% BF rn and just need to get back to around 8.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:04 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Also I'm made of glass.

Haha i feel you. Cutting isnt as much fun. Im at 213 rn and im trying to get back to wear my full abs are visible. I'm prob ~10% BF rn and just need to get back to around 8.

I have 4 visible now and I'm content with that currently; I want my lifts to go up and to be bigger tho. this bulk was rough:
Almost hit 405 squat, back gives out
almost 500 deadlift fail
bench lmao I'm too lengthy

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:03 am

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Also I'm made of glass.

I have 4 visible now and I'm content with that currently; I want my lifts to go up and to be bigger tho. this bulk was rough:
Almost hit 405 squat, back gives out
almost 500 deadlift fail
bench lmao I'm too lengthy

Haha I feel that man. My wingspan is so long so I've always lagged in bench strength compared to my friends with super short arms. Plus my arms look smaller just because of the length, but they are actually pretty big.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Haha I feel that man. My wingspan is so long so I've always lagged in bench strength compared to my friends with super short arms. Plus my arms look smaller just because of the length, but they are actually pretty big.

Back is my best body part by far, I think my arms look bad because my shoulders dominate my biceps/triceps.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Algernon wrote:I got a 155 diagnostic. I am pretty ambivalent about that. Oddly enough, I didn't finish the first two sections (LR and LG), but I finished with 1 or 2 minutes left in the second LR and RC. In the logic games I didn't answer the last 3 questions and in that first LR I didn't answer 6. :shock:

I'm more upset that I seem to be mediocre at everything. I missed about 6 in each section (not including the ones I didn't answer).

Now I'm in it for the long haul.

That is a higher diagnostic than most people's. Everyone is pretty much awful at the LSAT at the very beginning anyway so don't think like that! It is frustrating at the start, but as long as your study consistently and take a PT once every one or two weeks you will see steady progress.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Just finished Medea. Most. Depressing. Story. Ever.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:57 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Back is my best body part by far, I think my arms look bad because my shoulders dominate my biceps/triceps.

Nice!

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Just took a PT and scored a 167, which is super frustrating. It was my first PT and it's still 7 points higher than my diagnostic, but I dropped 8 on RC and 3 in a row on the last 3 questions of LR2. Games and LR 1 went well, but still room for improvement. Also, testing conditions were terrible, soooooo many people talking loudly at the library today.

Oddly though, I'm actually happy that I am unhappy with a 167. 3 1/2 months is still a lot of time for improvement, and if I continue to push myself so that I am only happy with 175+, then I think I have a good shot of being where I want to by test day.

gaandrsn

New

Postby gaandrsn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:47 am

Platopus wrote:Just took a PT and scored a 167, which is super frustrating. It was my first PT and it's still 7 points higher than my diagnostic, but I dropped 8 on RC and 3 in a row on the last 3 questions of LR2. Games and LR 1 went well, but still room for improvement. Also, testing conditions were terrible, soooooo many people talking loudly at the library today.

Oddly though, I'm actually happy that I am unhappy with a 167. 3 1/2 months is still a lot of time for improvement, and if I continue to push myself so that I am only happy with 175+, then I think I have a good shot of being where I want to by test day.

Sounds like you are in a great place with 3 1/2 months left! I'm taking my 2nd PT tomorrow. I went from 163 on diagnostic in December to 169 in early February, but feel like I got very luck on the logic games-it was PT37. I feel like I'm in a pretty good place for LR so I've been going through the LSAT Trainer Logic Games and RC, but also drilling with Voyagers RC strategy.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 pm

gaandrsn wrote:
Platopus wrote:Just took a PT and scored a 167, which is super frustrating. It was my first PT and it's still 7 points higher than my diagnostic, but I dropped 8 on RC and 3 in a row on the last 3 questions of LR2. Games and LR 1 went well, but still room for improvement. Also, testing conditions were terrible, soooooo many people talking loudly at the library today.

Sounds like you are in a great place with 3 1/2 months left! I'm taking my 2nd PT tomorrow. I went from 163 on diagnostic in December to 169 in early February, but feel like I got very luck on the logic games-it was PT37. I feel like I'm in a pretty good place for LR so I've been going through the LSAT Trainer Logic Games and RC, but also drilling with Voyagers RC strategy.

Sounds like you're in a solid position as well. Good luck on your PT today. I'll be starting the Trainer this week in hopes of improving RC. Have you found it helpful?

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Platopus wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:

Sounds like you're in a solid position as well. Good luck on your PT today. I'll be starting the Trainer this week in hopes of improving RC. Have you found it helpful?

Deciding whether to take a timed PT this week before I start drilling. Haven't taken one since my diagnostic in December and I've been learning logic games since then (well, since January :)). My only concern is that I might be let down by a low score (sub-165 would bum me out big time). Any thoughts?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:24 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:

Deciding whether to take a timed PT this week before I start drilling. Haven't taken one since my diagnostic in December and I've been learning logic games since then (well, since January :)). My only concern is that I might be let down by a low score (sub-165 would bum me out big time). Any thoughts?

drill first the take a pt the 12th.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 pm

What do y'all think about the Powerscore 3 month study plan?

I am going to follow this schedule and then take as many PTs as I can.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/studentcenter/ ... y_plan.pdf

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:56 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:

If you haven't started drilling yet, I would hold off on the PT. You should take a PT after a couple weeks of drilling. Also, it's much, much, much better to be bummed out 3 months before the test, than 3 weeks before the test. Don't let the prospect of being bummed out by a low score prevent you from taking PT's and drilling. Being bummed out is the only way to figure out where you need improvement. Granted, I get that it's nice to stay positive, etc. But I know that I personally tend to avoid things out of fear of failure.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:11 pm

calmike wrote:What do y'all think about the Powerscore 3 month study plan?

I am going to follow this schedule and then take as many PTs as I can.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/studentcenter/ ... y_plan.pdf

Seems a bit slow if you asked me. For example, 8 weeks out from the LSAT is not when I want to do my reading. Ideally, I've done all my reading, done 6 weeks of drilling and I am ramping up to do multiple PT's a week and INTENSIVE review, with focused drilling on other days. If you are still working your way through the Bibles 8 weeks out and are doing fundamental drills in the workbook 5-6 weeks out you won't have enough time to focus on the questions you are getting wrong. I am just of the opinion that any study schedule which has someone reviewing basic principles 6 weeks out from the exam is flawed. 6 weeks out you should have competency with with all questions, and mastery of most. The last 6 weeks you should being honing timing, working on stamina, and attempting to master the last few Q types that give you the most difficulty, not learning new information.

With that said, you know yourself best. If you need a rigid study plan to stay on track, then this might be the plan for you. I would bet you would still see significant improvement, but just not as much as if you self-studied on a faster study schedule.

gaandrsn

New

Postby gaandrsn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Platopus wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:

Thanks, ended up scoring a 166, went -6 on Reading Comprehension (ran out of time). I cant seem to get through all 4 passages yet. Also missed 5 of 26 on the first LR section. Looks like I have some review to do.

I haven't found the LSAT Trainer RC particularly helpful, but do think it's worth going through for the practice. My plan is to do more drilling using Voyager's strategy and work on my timing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?