The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:36 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I need another guide to the RC. Voyager's is good, but I need another to get over the hump of missing 1/2 in each passage

I've really started to love Nicole's notation strategy. Takes a bit to get used to, as well as gaining speed while doing it and how to use the notations within the questions, but I feel like it's what I'm sticking to from now on because it seems to be starting to work for me.

Do you have a link to this strategy?

Bruv, I've linked it to you twice already haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4puXXT_gU&t=4537s

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I need another guide to the RC. Voyager's is good, but I need another to get over the hump of missing 1/2 in each passage

I've really started to love Nicole's notation strategy. Takes a bit to get used to, as well as gaining speed while doing it and how to use the notations within the questions, but I feel like it's what I'm sticking to from now on because it seems to be starting to work for me.

Do you have a link to this strategy?

Bruv, I've linked it to you twice already haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4puXXT_gU&t=4537s

I'm sorry lmao. Thanks again.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Anyone have the link to Nicole's RC strategy?!?!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 pm

thewhalefish wrote:Anyone have the link to Nicole's RC strategy?!?!

You can YouTube it but I just linked it in the two above posts

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Is this a good study strategy?

Go through all PowerScore books.

Then do all Practice tests?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 pm

calmike wrote:Is this a good study strategy?

Go through all PowerScore books.

Then do all Practice tests?

It depends. The PS books might not be enough for you to understand everything, but they can be. Do lots of drilling while you go through those books as well before you start to PT.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 pm

I have been thinking about signing up for 7sage to study for the June LSAT.

However, I do not want to spend so much money on prep.

I do have all 3 powerscore books. I am thinking of just reading those and then working on all 70 PTs if I have time.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Mikey wrote:

When your joke goes way over Mikey's head :roll:

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 pm

calmike wrote:I have been thinking about signing up for 7sage to study for the June LSAT.

I do have all 3 powerscore books. I am thinking of just reading those and then working on all 70 PTs if I have time.

It depends on how easy/hard test prep is for you and what your target score is. I'd imagine some people could go through the PS books and 70 PTs and get close to a perfect score, and some could do that and barely crack 160.

I'm currently going through the 3 PS books also and I plan to take every PT at least once. I also plan on getting the PS workbooks for extra help. Depending on how much my PTs improve, I may or may not do additional stuff. I made the mistake of using a Barron's LSAT prep book (it was a gift) in my first month of studying, but i did go from a 151 cold diagnostic to a 163 on PT a month later, so I'm hoping the PS books will be enough for me to add at least 10 more points, I already feel like I'm much more prepared after just the first couple weeks of PS.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
calmike wrote:I have been thinking about signing up for 7sage to study for the June LSAT.

It depends on how easy/hard test prep is for you and what your target score is. I'd imagine some people could go through the PS books and 70 PTs and get close to a perfect score, and some could do that and barely crack 160.

I'm currently going through the 3 PS books also and I plan to take every PT at least once. I also plan on getting the PS workbooks for extra help. Depending on how much my PTs improve, I may or may not do additional stuff. I made the mistake of using a Barron's LSAT prep book (it was a gift) in my first month of studying, but i did go from a 151 cold diagnostic to a 163 on PT a month later, so I'm hoping the PS books will be enough for me to add at least 10 more points, I already feel like I'm much more prepared after just the first couple weeks of PS.

I am retaking LSAT. My LSAT score is 160. I want to reach at least 170.

Good luck on your journey. I hope the PS books do the same for me too.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:34 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:

FWIW, I really dislike PS RC Bible. I understand that is well thought out and formulaic in a way that could save time, but their method is just so painful to implement.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
Mikey wrote:

When your joke goes way over Mikey's head :roll:

:oops:

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Feeling great now... just did the LG section of my diagnostic that I went -13 on in mid Dec. and went only -2, and one of those was a stupid mistake where I read the question wrong (center 3, not center 2... :roll: ). I'm wary of overconfidence of course but this is a great boost for me as I read the last pages of the Bible and start heavily drilling (my PS questions by type packets should arrive in the next few days, and so should some of my PTs, although I'll do only one a week until April or so).

I've got the fundamentals down. Now it's all refinement for the next three and a half months.

calmike

Bronze

Postby calmike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:34 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

FWIW, I really dislike PS RC Bible. I understand that is well thought out and formulaic in a way that could save time, but their method is just so painful to implement.

Which resource do you recommend for RC? Ive been getting 4-7 wrong for RC. Maybe with practice I can do better.

180pedia

New

Postby 180pedia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey all, this is my alter ego. I was/am an active participant in the study groups for Sept and Dec... may join again this June or Sept.

Currently, I have to fix a bug on the primary functionality (site still functions but it's a little less than optimal on my end to dive into the database every time someone uses an odd character in an explanation!), and, once fixed, it will host it's own explanations! Until then, the website can still function as a directory to every free explanation provided by 7Sage, LSAT Hacks, Manhattan Prep, PowerScore, and Velocity posted as of about a week ago as well as an answer key and score conversion table for respective tests.

180pedia.com/every-lsat-practice-test

I am in the process of adding new explanations they have posted since. PT 79 and 80 will be up shortly.

I hope that you take a look, and, while still in its early stages, provide me with any advice that you think may make the site more useful! I also hope that, in the meantime, the directory of explanations for the resources mentioned above will be useful to you!

180pedia

New

Postby 180pedia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:38 pm

calmike wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

Which resource do you recommend for RC? Ive been getting 4-7 wrong for RC. Maybe with practice I can do better.

I went from -5/-6 on RC to averaging -1/-2 and getting -2 on test. One of those two was a really stupid mistake on one of those function questions that I over think. I think the way you need to work on RC is just test different methods until you find what works for you. I tried the method taught in Testmasters, 7sage Memory Method, etc., and, while I think they all help, I don't think it really clicked until I really focused hard on reading for structure quickly so that I was *forced* to go back to the text for the questions. This part of the test is designed to trick your memory.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 pm

calmike wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:

Voyager method viewtopic.php?t=7240

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:32 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Starting to increase the amount of time I spend studying. I was doing around 12 hours a week and taking weekends off, and it has been working pretty well, but gonna try to bump that up to at least 15 hours and only one day off. I feel like June is gonna creep up on me a lot sooner than I expect it to.

Around how much time are you guys spending on your studying at this point?

I usually read/drill for about 2-2 1/2 (sometimes 3) hours on weekdays, and usually about 4 on weekends. So on average I'm doing about 20 hours of prep a week, give or take an hour or two. My goal is start studying more once March comes, and April and May I hope to be spending close to 30 hours a week taking PT's, reviewing and drilling. I've noticed that I tend to spend less time reviewing than I probably should, which is definitely a mistake that I need to correct. I think it all comes out to how much productive time one spends studying. The goal is of course to peak at the right time, and not needlessly waste precious, fresh material too soon. The flip side is running the risk of not getting to everything you should. Well see where it ends up, but take a honest look at your performance and evaluate your prep based on that, above anything else.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Starting to increase the amount of time I spend studying. I was doing around 12 hours a week and taking weekends off, and it has been working pretty well, but gonna try to bump that up to at least 15 hours and only one day off. I feel like June is gonna creep up on me a lot sooner than I expect it to.

I usually read/drill for about 2-2 1/2 (sometimes 3) hours on weekdays, and usually about 4 on weekends. So on average I'm doing about 20 hours of prep a week, give or take an hour or two. My goal is start studying more once March comes, and April and May I hope to be spending close to 30 hours a week taking PT's, reviewing and drilling. I've noticed that I tend to spend less time reviewing than I probably should, which is definitely a mistake that I need to correct. I think it all comes out to how much productive time one spends studying. The goal is of course to peak at the right time, and not needlessly waste precious, fresh material too soon. The flip side is running the risk of not getting to everything you should. Well see where it ends up, but take a honest look at your performance and evaluate your prep based on that, above anything else.

o hai :3
Butting in because of your reviewing comment. I think you are fine so long as you review why you got it wrong and why the answer is right. Being said, the more in-depth reviewing should take place during your PT cycle. Also, material starts to burn month 2 lol.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Butting in because of your reviewing comment. I think you are fine so long as you review why you got it wrong and why the answer is right. Being said, the more in-depth reviewing should take place during your PT cycle. Also, material starts to burn month 2 lol.

I probably subconsciously agree, as I think that's why I'm not beating myself up over not spending 20 minutes per question on review. The hardest part of prepping so far has been the photocopying of all the damn sections from tests 1-40 in preparation of March Madness of Drilling. That said, I'm just about all done, which I consider my biggest success so far. Just worried about having to redo all the prep work, god forbid I need to retake

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I probably subconsciously agree, as I think that's why I'm not beating myself up over not spending 20 minutes per question on review. The hardest part of prepping so far has been the photocopying of all the damn sections from tests 1-40 in preparation of March Madness of Drilling. That said, I'm just about all done, which I consider my biggest success so far. Just worried about having to redo all the prep work, god forbid I need to retake

I'm 1/2 done, which is on time according to my little schedule. have you heard of 180pedia.com or lsathack.con? both (one is run by someone 34... ) are really good for showing explanations of all question types.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:25 am

dj9i27 wrote:
I'm 1/2 done, which is on time according to my little schedule. have you heard of 180pedia.com or lsathack.con? both (one is run by someone 34... ) are really good for showing explanations of all question types.

I have not, but I'll give them a look and see if they help on some of the tougher questions. Dropped some silly points early in my sections today though, while somehow getting everything correct from 14 on for both sections. So I'm thinking in addition to question review I should be looking at timing too, as I've been trying the 1st 10 in 10 minute strategy. Jury's still out on whether that's giving me the time to actually get the tougher stuff right, but I figured 3 1/3 months out is a good time to start messing with timing strategies to see what works

Side note: my roommates are sick as hell of me taking about the LSAT

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I have not, but I'll give them a look and see if they help on some of the tougher questions. Dropped some silly points early in my sections today though, while somehow getting everything correct from 14 on for both sections. So I'm thinking in addition to question review I should be looking at timing too, as I've been trying the 1st 10 in 10 minute strategy. Jury's still out on whether that's giving me the time to actually get the tougher stuff right, but I figured 3 1/3 months out is a good time to start messing with timing strategies to see what works

technically we are 3 1/2 or closer to thag right? my timed sections start the 12th so, I'm trying to relax in the interim and focus on the process. I worked 12 hours today so I took it off, read a little in the morning but nothing else.

solution, no roommate and constant work effectively alienating yourself from everyone.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:40 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

technically we are 3 1/2 or closer to thag right? my timed sections start the 12th so, I'm trying to relax in the interim and focus on the process. I worked 12 hours today so I took it off, read a little in the morning but nothing else.

solution, no roommate and constant work effectively alienating yourself from everyone.

Yeah, we're probably closer to 3 1/2 but I don't anticipate making many gains in the last 2 weeks or so. My last week of prep I'm trying to go pretty light.

Just keep telling yourself the lack of a social life for a couple more months is worth 300K lol

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Yeah, we're probably closer to 3 1/2 but I don't anticipate making many gains in the last 2 weeks or so. My last week of prep I'm trying to go pretty light.

Just keep telling yourself the lack of a social life for a couple more months is worth 300K lol

i just feel like I'm in the same place I was in August. I'm going-0-3 again but other than that no mental gains :/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?