The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

PrezRand

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:22 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I'm still going to dress like that in law school. UT and UVA are perfect for me since I can still tailgate and rage

Dressing like that will be okay, but as for the tailgating and raging, especially at UVA may not be great for the studies. Christ I didn't even have time for it in UG.

Tailgating is only one semester and if I have time to watch football games, I should have time to drink

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 pm

hcss11 wrote:Alright, frequent lurker here, just started studying for the LSAT last week. Here's the deal: I'll sit down, start on my study book, get really intrigued, and then get really into my head about the material without doing much in the actual book. Today it took me all day to complete one page of prep material!

What would you guys suggest for doing better—as in, whole chapters per day?

Your experience is quite... interesting. Lol. What it comes down to is just doing the work. You cannot spend all day (or even 10 minutes) on one page during the LSAT, so you should not spend all day studying one page. I typically sit down for 3 or 4 hours for one of the Powerscore books and just read/do the drills when available. That's really about it for me.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 pm

hcss11 wrote:Alright, frequent lurker here, just started studying for the LSAT last week. Here's the deal: I'll sit down, start on my study book, get really intrigued, and then get really into my head about the material without doing much in the actual book. Today it took me all day to complete one page of prep material!

I like to read for about an hour and drill for an hour and a half on the weekday (Full time worker) and then up it to 1 hour of reading and 3 hours of drilling on the weekends. You have to learn the fundamentals and prepbooks do a great job.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I'm still going to dress like that in law school. UT and UVA are perfect for me since I can still tailgate and rage

Dressing like that will be okay, but as for the tailgating and raging, especially at UVA may not be great for the studies. Christ I didn't even have time for it in UG.

Tailgating is only one semester and if I have time to watch football games, I should have time to drink

Are you contemplating a gap year?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Are you contemplating a gap year?

I'm graduating in May this year and 2017-2018 will by my gap year

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm using Kim's The LSAT Trainer; not sure how much both books differ. While I genuinely enjoy the prep material and working out the logic and structure of the test, I also get nerves when I'm studying because the premise that this test is going to determine the next 3-5 years of my life is terrifying.

Along that note, how would you recommend alternating between taking PTs and doing prep book material? Should I alternate between reading prep book chapters and doing full prep tests? Or is there another way that's more efficient and makes more sense? I just get so distracted.

thewhalefish wrote:

Your experience is quite... interesting. Lol. What it comes down to is just doing the work. You cannot spend all day (or even 10 minutes) on one page during the LSAT, so you should not spend all day studying one page. I typically sit down for 3 or 4 hours for one of the Powerscore books and just read/do the drills when available. That's really about it for me.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 pm

dm1683 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Lmao As soon as i got to my testing center in sept i had to piss so bad and I was like you no big deal just sit down and when the section starts just pee yourself and focus on the test.. dont stress etc. I gave myself the biggest prep talk and luckily before we went to our assigned rooms there was a bathroom on the way and they let us go. it was clutch af.. anyway respect the dedication and that sucks to waste a 176 like that

lol same my proctor was dope af. I was seriously screwed when as soon as I sat in my room and my proctor said go to the bathroom, I ran to go throw up. ugh no more September talk.

8)

This is why I need to nail this thing in June so I don't have to take it in September. I've heard the horror stories of the September tests.
blackmamba8 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:What would make you consider Harvard but not the other two? I'm just really debt averse so I wouldn't be able to take on that much debt. Slaving away at a big law job just to turn around and give your money right back to the loan collector would be shittyyy.

My thing is, it's Harvard. I know that is super clichéd, but hear me out.

I don't want to go to Stanford because I don't want to be in the West. Yale would be cool, but I don't have the same connection to Yale as I do Harvard.
I'm sure the other schools are great, but they're not my fit.

Edit: This is a good chunk of my personal statement so please don't abuse my being open!

No I totally understand that! Having a Harvard JD opens up doors that just aren't going to be opened with degrees from other law schools. Knowing you're walking the same walls as all those people before you would be awesome. It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of the things you want to do, and that Harvard is your best bet for achieving them. On my end I'm not really sure what I want to do, so I want to keep my debt low if possible to avoid being forced to take a job I hate to pay it off. I think criminal law interests me more than anything else, but idk what the pay is like.

Eh... IMHO people at HYS/Columbia would be too elitist to stand for three years. I'm from the Midwest/rust belt so IDK if that's saying much for most people. That's another huge reason why Chicago is my ideal school: they're smart but in a dorky/weird way rather than a pretentious, sanctimonious way.

Also, fuck rowing.

It's called Crew...brah

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Good strategy! I'll start there. Thanks a bunch. :)

dj9i27 wrote:

I like to read for about an hour and drill for an hour and a half on the weekday (Full time worker) and then up it to 1 hour of reading and 3 hours of drilling on the weekends. You have to learn the fundamentals and prepbooks do a great job.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 pm

hcss11 wrote:I'm using Kim's The LSAT Trainer; not sure how much both books differ. While I genuinely enjoy the prep material and working out the logic and structure of the test, I also get nerves when I'm studying because the premise that this test is going to determine the next 3-5 years of my life is terrifying.

Along that note, how would you recommend alternating between taking PTs and doing prep book material? Should I alternate between reading prep book chapters and doing full prep tests? Or is there another way that's more efficient and makes more sense? I just get so distracted.

thewhalefish wrote:

I can't comment on the strategy for the Kim books. But as far as test mentality goes, try to think of it as 4 smaller quizzes that you need to get an A on. It's a lot easier that way.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:19 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
I can't comment on the strategy for the Kim books. But as far as test mentality goes, try to think of it as 4 smaller quizzes that you need to get an A on. It's a lot easier that way.

This is a really good way to go into it. Have you ever got 25/25 on a test in UG? My money's on yes, so all you have to do is do that 5 times within 4 hours.

Also mentioning stamina, I still remember sophomore year I had three, two hour finals back to back to back. It won't be that bad.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Did 3 passages so far and now I am distracted by 24, the tv show. Went 6/7, 7/7, and 8/8.

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks, guys! :D

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

This is a really good way to go into it. Have you ever got 25/25 on a test in UG? My money's on yes, so all you have to do is do that 5 times within 4 hours.

Also mentioning stamina, I still remember sophomore year I had three, two hour finals back to back to back. It won't be that bad.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Distractions can be a real issue sometimes. I do this thing while I study where my mind starts wandering and I have thoughts like how much tuition is at Boston College, or something like that. Then I have to look that up and lose 15 minutes searching "Boston College" on TLS haha. I find the LSAT interesting and fairly enjoyable to study, but sometimes your mind just does its own thing.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

I 100% agree with this mentality. Mediocre, as for approaching the balance between reading and studying, I would usually read a couple of chapters a day and put post its on the pages where the book had drills. After a couple of days, I started making progress in the book and would go back and take some of the drills I found to be relevant. Obviously, do more of the book drills in the beginning to get the fundamentals down, and taper off to un-timed sections, and then eventually timed sections. It really helped me stay on track with the reading, but didn't waste time doing basic drills for concepts I was comfortable with. If you are in an absolute time crunch, use the method I laid out above and only go back to take the practice questions with explanations, not the mini-drills. This will teach you how to recognize the wrong answer and hopefully give you an idea of where you need to go back and concentrate on some of the more fundamental principles. I can't attest to the Trainer, as I haven't started it, but I found Powerscore LG bible to be very useful, and in combination, the LR bible and Manhattan LR to be solid. Just finished the Manhattan RC, and it was a surprisingly quick read.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:01 am

Did bad on the last 2 passages. 5/7 and 4/6. Gotta read these better.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 am

Feeling surprisingly good. Went -0 on an untimed (but still reasonable) RC passage, and again somehow managed a -1 on a timed LR, which is wayyyyyy better than I was expecting to be at this point in my prep, especially since I had enough time to go back and change to my answer to the correct AC on two questions.

Optimistic, but still ready to put in WORK to stay consistent.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 am

I need another guide to the RC. Voyager's is good, but I need another to get over the hump of missing 1/2 in each passage

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 am

PrezRand wrote:I need another guide to the RC. Voyager's is good, but I need another to get over the hump of missing 1/2 in each passage

I've really started to love Nicole's notation strategy. Takes a bit to get used to, as well as gaining speed while doing it and how to use the notations within the questions, but I feel like it's what I'm sticking to from now on because it seems to be starting to work for me.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am

My life is turning into a Bruce Springsteen lyric.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 am

Starting to increase the amount of time I spend studying. I was doing around 12 hours a week and taking weekends off, and it has been working pretty well, but gonna try to bump that up to at least 15 hours and only one day off. I feel like June is gonna creep up on me a lot sooner than I expect it to.

Around how much time are you guys spending on your studying at this point?

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:20 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Starting to increase the amount of time I spend studying. I was doing around 12 hours a week and taking weekends off, and it has been working pretty well, but gonna try to bump that up to at least 15 hours and only one day off. I feel like June is gonna creep up on me a lot sooner than I expect it to.

Roughly 4 hours a day with a day off. ~24 hrs/wk. It's worth noting I'm a UG senior with only 9 credit hours and, fortunately, do not have to work.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:35 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Starting to increase the amount of time I spend studying. I was doing around 12 hours a week and taking weekends off, and it has been working pretty well, but gonna try to bump that up to at least 15 hours and only one day off. I feel like June is gonna creep up on me a lot sooner than I expect it to.

Roughly 4 hours a day with a day off. ~24 hrs/wk. It's worth noting I'm a UG senior with only 9 credit hours and, fortunately, do not have to work.

I h8 u

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

I h8 u

:mrgreen: FeelsBadMan

lland311

New

Postby lland311 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm

hcss11 wrote:I'm using Kim's The LSAT Trainer; not sure how much both books differ. While I genuinely enjoy the prep material and working out the logic and structure of the test, I also get nerves when I'm studying because the premise that this test is going to determine the next 3-5 years of my life is terrifying.

There are schedules on his website that I have found very helpful in giving my studying direction using his book and the practice tests.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I need another guide to the RC. Voyager's is good, but I need another to get over the hump of missing 1/2 in each passage

I've really started to love Nicole's notation strategy. Takes a bit to get used to, as well as gaining speed while doing it and how to use the notations within the questions, but I feel like it's what I'm sticking to from now on because it seems to be starting to work for me.

Do you have a link to this strategy?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?