The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:53 am

jagerbom79 wrote:Lmao As soon as i got to my testing center in sept i had to piss so bad and I was like you no big deal just sit down and when the section starts just pee yourself and focus on the test.. dont stress etc. I gave myself the biggest prep talk and luckily before we went to our assigned rooms there was a bathroom on the way and they let us go. it was clutch af.. anyway respect the dedication and that sucks to waste a 176 like that

lol same my proctor was dope af. I was seriously screwed when as soon as I sat in my room and my proctor said go to the bathroom, I ran to go throw up. ugh no more September talk.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 am

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:Lmao As soon as i got to my testing center in sept i had to piss so bad and I was like you no big deal just sit down and when the section starts just pee yourself and focus on the test.. dont stress etc. I gave myself the biggest prep talk and luckily before we went to our assigned rooms there was a bathroom on the way and they let us go. it was clutch af.. anyway respect the dedication and that sucks to waste a 176 like that

lol same my proctor was dope af. I was seriously screwed when as soon as I sat in my room and my proctor said go to the bathroom, I ran to go throw up. ugh no more September talk.

8)

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:hey um... me neither. nope definitely don't need that to be considered for $$$$ from uva or umich

Know a guy that got a full ride to Mich, had a panic attack his first week and realized he didn't want to be an attorney, dropped out and worked at the school library for 2 years lol

well look at that. I hate someone who I don't know anything about aside from that fact. GIVE IT TO ME MICHIGAN OR UVA, I LOVVVVEE YOU PLZ.
straight up, at least he got out now instead of in his 50s.

LOLZ, agreed. I'm gonna apply everywhere in the T25 that gives a me a waiver, but my short list of schools I'd actually attend is: UVA. So gimme dat money!

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:hey um... me neither. nope definitely don't need that to be considered for $$$$ from uva or umich

Know a guy that got a full ride to Mich, had a panic attack his first week and realized he didn't want to be an attorney, dropped out and worked at the school library for 2 years lol

well look at that. I hate someone who I don't know anything about aside from that fact. GIVE IT TO ME MICHIGAN OR UVA, I LOVVVVEE YOU PLZ.

LOLZ, agreed. I'm gonna apply everywhere in the T25 that gives a me a waiver, but my short list of schools I'd actually attend is: UVA. So gimme dat money!

So you wouldn't attend Harvard or Yale? :shock:

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

There's a 0% chance that I would unless someone else was footing the bill. If I were to have HYS numbers then I would likely have full rides at other T14s. To me personally the prestige isn't worth $300k in debt. Having a Yale acceptance letter would be enough for me. I would tuck it away and then enjoy 3 years at a top law school without having to worry about the looming debt.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:54 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

There's a 0% chance that I would unless someone else was footing the bill. If I were to have HYS numbers then I would likely have full rides at other T14s. To me personally the prestige isn't worth $300k in debt. Having a Yale acceptance letter would be enough for me. I would tuck it away and then enjoy 3 years at a top law school without having to worry about the looming debt.

Agreed. Personally, I would at least consider going to Harvard at sticker. Not Yale or Stanford though. But if getting into Harvard comes with a large amount of money to Columbia/UVA/NYU, then I'd likely take one of those.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Agreed. Personally, I would at least consider going to Harvard at sticker. Not Yale or Stanford though. But if getting into Harvard comes with a large amount of money to Columbia/UVA/NYU, then I'd likely take one of those.

What would make you consider Harvard but not the other two? I'm just really debt averse so I wouldn't be able to take on that much debt. Slaving away at a big law job just to turn around and give your money right back to the loan collector would be shittyyy.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:26 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

No, I would not do HYS, or honestly any school in NYC. The first 3 because I have a less than 0% interest in a clerkshio, and dont think yhe "prestige" is worth even a penny. No NYC because I am not a fan of city life and have no desire of going to school in one.
Last edited by saf18hornet on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:What would make you consider Harvard but not the other two? I'm just really debt averse so I wouldn't be able to take on that much debt. Slaving away at a big law job just to turn around and give your money right back to the loan collector would be shittyyy.

My thing is, it's Harvard. I know that is super clichéd, but hear me out.

I don't mean like "Oh yeah man it's Harvard obviously it's amazing". I mean the fact that JFK, Teddy Roosevelt, and Obama walked those halls. It's where visionaries go. That means a lot to me. It's the place innovation has been and is truly celebrated-- active encouragement and intellectual pursuit are overflowing. I want to be on the forefront of public betterment and PI work. So I need to go to Harvard. I may be wrong on this according to some, but that's how I feel when I think about the university. So I guess my debt averseness doesn't naturally kick in when I think about the cost associated with Harvard because I know it would be the best school for the reasons mentioned above and because the work I want to do is not slaving over meaningless papers for large corporations.

I don't want to go to Stanford because I don't want to be in the West. Yale would be cool, but I don't have the same connection to Yale as I do Harvard.
I'm sure the other schools are great, but they're not my fit.

Edit: This is a good chunk of my personal statement so please don't abuse my being open!

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:41 pm

I would take HYS at sticker. Especially Yale. I have family in Connecticut so free rent. I think the same for Mass. I'm still surprised they do not have an Early Action/Decision. I remember when I was a junior in high school, it was the first year Harvard and Princeton did EA for undergrad

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:44 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:What would make you consider Harvard but not the other two? I'm just really debt averse so I wouldn't be able to take on that much debt. Slaving away at a big law job just to turn around and give your money right back to the loan collector would be shittyyy.

I don't mean like "Oh yeah man it's Harvard obviously it's amazing". I mean the fact that JFK, Teddy Roosevelt, and Obama walked those halls. It's where visionaries go. That means a lot to me. It's the place innovation has been and is truly celebrated-- active encouragement and intellectual pursuit are overflowing. I want to be on the forefront of public betterment and PI work. So I need to go to Harvard. I may be wrong on this according to some, but that's how I feel when I think about the university. So I guess my debt averseness doesn't naturally kick in when I think about the cost associated with Harvard because I know it would be the best school for the reasons mentioned above and because the work I want to do is not slaving over meaningless papers for large corporations.

I don't want to go to Stanford because I don't want to be in the West. Yale would be cool, but I don't have the same connection to Yale as I do Harvard.

Edit: This is a good chunk of my personal statement so please don't abuse my being open!

**Comment heavily modified
Good for you man, as long as you know what you want, then go for it. I have my own personal reasons for not, but I know what's best for me (I think).

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:51 pm

thewhalefish wrote:

No I totally understand that! Having a Harvard JD opens up doors that just aren't going to be opened with degrees from other law schools. Knowing you're walking the same walls as all those people before you would be awesome. It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of the things you want to do, and that Harvard is your best bet for achieving them. On my end I'm not really sure what I want to do, so I want to keep my debt low if possible to avoid being forced to take a job I hate to pay it off. I think criminal law interests me more than anything else, but idk what the pay is like.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

8)

This is why I need to nail this thing in June so I don't have to take it in September. I've heard the horror stories of the September tests.
blackmamba8 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

No I totally understand that! Having a Harvard JD opens up doors that just aren't going to be opened with degrees from other law schools. Knowing you're walking the same walls as all those people before you would be awesome. It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of the things you want to do, and that Harvard is your best bet for achieving them. On my end I'm not really sure what I want to do, so I want to keep my debt low if possible to avoid being forced to take a job I hate to pay it off. I think criminal law interests me more than anything else, but idk what the pay is like.

Eh... IMHO people at HYS/Columbia would be too elitist to stand for three years. I'm from the Midwest/rust belt so IDK if that's saying much for most people. That's another huge reason why Chicago is my ideal school: they're smart but in a dorky/weird way rather than a pretentious, sanctimonious way.

Also, fuck rowing.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Back to RC grind today. Hopefully will start timing myself on every section by next week. And yes, I did shotgun before I started

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:

**Comment heavily modified
Good for you man, as long as you know what you want, then go for it. I have my own personal reasons for not, but I know what's best for me (I think).

I'm glad you edited your comment because I was like "Ooh man I am going to tell him something after dinner" hahaha. I appreciate your (new) response and we all have our own way!

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm

PrezRand wrote:I would take HYS at sticker. Especially Yale. I have family in Connecticut so free rent. I think the same for Mass. I'm still surprised they do not have an Early Action/Decision. I remember when I was a junior in high school, it was the first year Harvard and Princeton did EA for undergrad

Hey if I get into HLS I will hit you up! :wink: I think they don't have ED because they don't need to.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:53 pm

PrezRand wrote:Back to RC grind today. Hopefully will start timing myself on every section by next week. And yes, I did shotgun before I started

i didn't RC but didn't shotgun. I don't think I like RC prepbooks.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Back to RC grind today. Hopefully will start timing myself on every section by next week. And yes, I did shotgun before I started

What do you guys mean by "shotgunning"?

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 pm

PrezRand wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Johnny Frat Star over here is too cool for me.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Oh god... PTSD of my growing up in Alabama... Also, wish I could figure out how to quote pictures so I don't look like a total scrub.

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Johnny Frat Star over here is too cool for me.

I'm still going to dress like that in law school. UT and UVA are perfect for me since I can still tailgate and rage

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:11 pm

thewhalefish wrote:Oh god... PTSD of my growing up in Alabama... Also, wish I could figure out how to quote pictures so I don't look like a total scrub.

lmao, you are almost to the point don't worry.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm

PrezRand wrote:I'm still going to dress like that in law school. UT and UVA are perfect for me since I can still tailgate and rage

Dressing like that will be okay, but as for the tailgating and raging, especially at UVA may not be great for the studies. Christ I didn't even have time for it in UG.

hcss11

New

Postby hcss11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Alright, frequent lurker here, just started studying for the LSAT last week. Here's the deal: I'll sit down, start on my study book, get really intrigued, and then get really into my head about the material without doing much in the actual book. Today it took me all day to complete one page of prep material!

What would you guys suggest for doing better—as in, whole chapters per day?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?