The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

saf18hornet

Bronze

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby saf18hornet » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I just wanted to throw out some rc advice, which for me was instrumental in going -8 to -1.

lsathacks.com

Graeme Blake has a really quick rc lesson on the site, and it's pretty helpful. I think it's a very intuitive, and somewhat different method than others. The Method does include speed reading, but it incorporates more review and the result is the once you get to the questions you know the passage really well, and more importantly where the info is so you can quickly reference it. Basically you read a paragraph fast, then review it immediately. Just quickly think "this is the info introduced, and the role of the paragraph." Then move onto the next one and repeat, while trying to find how what you just read relates to the other passage. Rinse and repeat until the end, where you do a quick overview before questions.

The idea is that this works sort like duolingo, where you're introduced a new thing, then it's refreshed at intervals of 30 seconds and then 3 mins, and this is shown to improve retention. I like it because I find it it to be a bit more helpful than the memory method in helping me remember where things are in the passage.

+1

Lsathacks.com is an amazing resource. I cannot stand the explanations on the Manhattan forums. Everyone wants to be diagramming every LR question instead of like 2x per exam. Graeme and the Fox LR Encyclopedia are A+

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:00 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:About 1/2 way through MH LR and LG, ahead of schedule RC is lagging tho. Drilling has remained inconsistent, one day I'll go -0 on 30 LR questions the next go 6/10 same story with RC. I think I'm just getting impatient, I don't want to wish for time to go away but when PTs start happening I'll be better, hopefully.

When you drill do you just drill 30 questions by type? Not just really difficult questions?

yeah it is just but QT, some are easy and some are hard. I like it that way since the test isn't going to be all hard or easy questions. most of the time I only do 15-25 tho.[/quote]

DJ- are you doing LR and LG at the same time? or doing one first then going to the other?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:13 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:About 1/2 way through MH LR and LG, ahead of schedule RC is lagging tho. Drilling has remained inconsistent, one day I'll go -0 on 30 LR questions the next go 6/10 same story with RC. I think I'm just getting impatient, I don't want to wish for time to go away but when PTs start happening I'll be better, hopefully.

When you drill do you just drill 30 questions by type? Not just really difficult questions?

yeah it is just but QT, some are easy and some are hard. I like it that way since the test isn't going to be all hard or easy questions. most of the time I only do 15-25 tho.

DJ- are you doing LR and LG at the same time? or doing one first then going to the other?[/quote]
Same time on the weekdays because time and split into 2 hours sessions on the weekends/days off. I cycle RC and LG each day tho.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:47 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:

yeah it is just but QT, some are easy and some are hard. I like it that way since the test isn't going to be all hard or easy questions. most of the time I only do 15-25 tho.

DJ- are you doing LR and LG at the same time? or doing one first then going to the other?

Same time on the weekdays because time and split into 2 hours sessions on the weekends/days off. I cycle RC and LG each day tho.[/quote]

Gotchu. So your hitting LR daily and LG/RC every other day pretty much? Im about to start MH and was contemplating the best approach. I can't wait to finish the material. Its the worst part. Drilling, PTing, Review, and BR is so much easier.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Gotchu. So your hitting LR daily and LG/RC every other day pretty much? Im about to start MH and was contemplating the best approach. I can't wait to finish the material. Its the worst part. Drilling, PTing, Review, and BR is so much easier.

Yeah, my thought is that LR is 50% and shares commonalities with the other sections so I should devote the most time to it. Probably 4/7 days I do all three but I might just spend like 15-20 minutes of LG/RC whilst doing 2 hours of the scheduled section that day.
The weekends are chill because I go grab a few albums at the store beside my house and play them while reading the MH books as background music. Every time I change the record I go to a different section (a la side 1 is RC and side 2 is LR; once it is done playing I drill).

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:29 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Yeah, my thought is that LR is 50% and shares commonalities with the other sections so I should devote the most time to it. Probably 4/7 days I do all three but I might just spend like 15-20 minutes of LG/RC whilst doing 2 hours of the scheduled section that day.
The weekends are chill because I go grab a few albums at the store beside my house and play them while reading the MH books as background music. Every time I change the record I go to a different section (a la side 1 is RC and side 2 is LR; once it is done playing I drill).

Thats a sick routine. Im trying to decide how i should do it because Mon-Thurs I sometimes can only get ~2 hours in and then I have Fri, Sat, Sun unless I have tests to crush all day. And usually I could throw some extra hrs on thurs but its tough when i have a lot of work.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:31 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Thats a sick routine. Im trying to decide how i should do it because Mon-Thurs I sometimes can only get ~2 hours in and then I have Fri, Sat, Sun unless I have tests to crush all day. And usually I could throw some extra hrs on thurs but its tough when i have a lot of work.

i mean I think 2 hours a day is enough don't you? we are still really far out and both of us have background learning from September.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:36 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

i mean I think 2 hours a day is enough don't you? we are still really far out and both of us have background learning from September.

Touche- im just trying to think if doing 1 hr of LR is enough per day or if its better to just crush the LG book then LR and so forth, but continue drilling i guess along the way.Your way was what I did in Sept

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Touche- im just trying to think if doing 1 hr of LR is enough per day or if its better to just crush the LG book then LR and so forth, but continue drilling i guess along the way.Your way was what I did in Sept

The biggest difference imo is how we review pts when the time comes. if we flake on it and don't pay attention for whatever reasons it's a recipe for disaster.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Is it useful to start using answer sheets to practice bubbling when just drilling sections or am I just being neurotic?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Platopus wrote:Is it useful to start using answer sheets to practice bubbling when just drilling sections or am I just being neurotic?

don't fret about it. I did before September and it just made me worry more and become anxious and sick. you've taken hundreds of scantron tests between elementary school to UG you'll be good.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:47 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Is it useful to start using answer sheets to practice bubbling when just drilling sections or am I just being neurotic?

don't fret about it. I did before September and it just made me worry more and become anxious and sick. you've taken hundreds of scantron tests between elementary school to UG you'll be good.

Thank you, I needed someone to tell me I was being type-A

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

better now than may 30th lol. I just keep telling myself to focus on the process and things will be okay.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:54 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

better now than may 30th lol. I just keep telling myself to focus on the process and things will be okay.

I keeping mentally telling myself "The score takes care of itself", which is of course a book former San Fransico 49's coach Bill Walsh. The phrase serves nicely as a little reminder that I am not studying to get a 180 or whatever, I am studying to master the fundamentals, and in doing so, the score I want will come

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I keeping mentally telling myself "The score takes care of itself", which is of course a book former San Fransico 49's coach Bill Walsh. The phrase serves nicely as a little reminder that I am not studying to get a 180 or whatever, I am studying to master the fundamentals, and in doing so, the score I want will come

hey um... me neither. nope definitely don't need that to be considered for $$$$ from uva or umich

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Dj, lol. But yeah Platopus I am with you on that mentality of the test. It seems that the vast majority of high scorers just know the test and the concepts it presents inside and out. If you know the concepts perfectly, then you should get a near perfect score unless you potato on test day.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:hey um... me neither. nope definitely don't need that to be considered for $$$$ from uva or umich

Know a guy that got a full ride to Mich, had a panic attack his first week and realized he didn't want to be an attorney, dropped out and worked at the school library for 2 years lol

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:hey um... me neither. nope definitely don't need that to be considered for $$$$ from uva or umich

Know a guy that got a full ride to Mich, had a panic attack his first week and realized he didn't want to be an attorney, dropped out and worked at the school library for 2 years lol

well look at that. I hate someone who I don't know anything about aside from that fact. GIVE IT TO ME MICHIGAN OR UVA, I LOVVVVEE YOU PLZ.
straight up, at least he got out now instead of in his 50s.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 am

thewhalefish wrote:
Dj, lol. But yeah Platopus I am with you on that mentality of the test. It seems that the vast majority of high scorers just know the test and the concepts it presents inside and out. If you know the concepts perfectly, then you should get a near perfect score unless you potato on test day.

Absolutely. It's just five 25 question quizzes back to back. Getting an A on a couple of quizzes seems so much easier than scoring a 175 on the lsat. That mental switch takes off loads of pressure

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:04 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

well look at that. I hate someone who I don't know anything about aside from that fact. GIVE IT TO ME MICHIGAN OR UVA, I LOVVVVEE YOU PLZ.

The man was committed, he told me he actually pissed himself during the test because he wasn't going to get up and go to the bathroom. Scored a 176 so it was worth it I guess, but still, damn.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

The man was committed, he told me he actually pissed himself during the test because he wasn't going to get up and go to the bathroom. Scored a 176 so it was worth it I guess, but still, damn.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 am

Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Wtf lol. Did proctors or other takers not notice piss dripping on the floor? Or was the man prepare af and had a bag that was connected to him so he could just pee

If the latter is true, can he help me assemble such a contraption pls

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:30 am

Mikey wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Wtf lol. Did proctors or other takers not notice piss dripping on the floor? Or was the man prepare af and had a bag that was connected to him so he could just pee

No idea... but if it gets me a 176 idc.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 am

Mikey wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

diapers Mikey.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

diapers Mikey.

Lmao As soon as i got to my testing center in sept i had to piss so bad and I was like you no big deal just sit down and when the section starts just pee yourself and focus on the test.. dont stress etc. I gave myself the biggest prep talk and luckily before we went to our assigned rooms there was a bathroom on the way and they let us go. it was clutch af.. anyway respect the dedication and that sucks to waste a 176 like that

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?