The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

brinicolec

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by brinicolec » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Anyone have PT 20 and willing to explain the correct answer to question 19 in sect. 4? I get why the one I marked as right was wrong, but I'm still not really sold on the right one being right (because of why I marked it wrong). It seems more like something that could be true but doesn't HAVE to be.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Ugh. Am still doing really great on LG questions but I still suck on timing! Who has broken through this? I have definitely drilled some games over and over and see improvement on those games, but not seeing any improvement with new games.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Walliums wrote:Ugh. Am still doing really great on LG questions but I still suck on timing! Who has broken through this? I have definitely drilled some games over and over and see improvement on those games, but not seeing any improvement with new games.
Keep plugging, timing is one of the last things to come; just keep working on accuracy. I'm going to read some of Manhattan LG and RC today and drill a packet of 25 LG and 1 RC section. RC is really taxing right now.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:15 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Walliums wrote:Ugh. Am still doing really great on LG questions but I still suck on timing! Who has broken through this? I have definitely drilled some games over and over and see improvement on those games, but not seeing any improvement with new games.
Keep plugging, timing is one of the last things to come; just keep working on accuracy. I'm going to read some of Manhattan LG and RC today and drill a packet of 25 LG and 1 RC section. RC is really taxing right now.
Exactly what he said, wall. I can finish a game section with like 8 mins to spare, you just have to keep doing them untimed for accuracy.

What I did to improve my timing on LR and LG was to do a section untimed but use a stopwatch. But for LG I would stop the time after each game to see how long each one took me and if I noticed that I kept screwing up timing on certain types of games, I'd do more of those.

Also what really helped me with LG was that if I did a full section and went like 3+ mins over 35 mins OR got even 1 question wrong on 1 game, I would do the whole section over again the following day or later on in the day. This forced me to work on my timing which I kinda think is a good way to do it, at least it seemed to work for me.

If only RC would click :(

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Exactly what he said, wall. I can finish a game section with like 8 mins to spare, you just have to keep doing them untimed for accuracy.

What I did to improve my timing on LR and LG was to do a section untimed but use a stopwatch. But for LG I would stop the time after each game to see how long each one took me and if I noticed that I kept screwing up timing on certain types of games, I'd do more of those.

Also what really helped me with LG was that if I did a full section and went like 3+ mins over 35 mins OR got even 1 question wrong on 1 game, I would do the whole section over again the following day or later on in the day. This forced me to work on my timing which I kinda think is a good way to do it, at least it seemed to work for me.

I was fucking wrecked after going -6 yesterday. 2nd RC passage in a while but still, -6? Going to try and redeem myself after legs, I will deter everyone with my sweaty self in the library.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
How many hours are you putting in a day DJ? 4 months for a retake seems like plenty of time right?
M-H probably about 2-3 hours a day 1 of those being reading a prep book the other drilling and reviewing.
F-Sun. I try and shoot for 15 over those 3 days.
brinicolec wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:In chapter 5 of Manhattan LR, I like their approach to LR much better than the trainers version, word is still out on the LG portion because I haven't read it yet. Hoping for 85%-90% accuracy on my drilling tonight, shall report with it.
Hey DJ. What do you like better about manhattan LR? Also, would the 2011 version be fine to use? I'm wondering what to get into after the Trainer.
I'm curious about this too (the what you like better part).
Manhattan is just more concise in my opinion, the trainer really harps on the whole, "Every argument has a flaw and that is uniform for all questions." which makes sense but it is a little redundant. Just cleaner if that makes any sense.
That's 23 hours a week, at least. Impressive.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:55 pm

greatspirit wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
How many hours are you putting in a day DJ? 4 months for a retake seems like plenty of time right?
M-H probably about 2-3 hours a day 1 of those being reading a prep book the other drilling and reviewing.
F-Sun. I try and shoot for 15 over those 3 days.
brinicolec wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:In chapter 5 of Manhattan LR, I like their approach to LR much better than the trainers version, word is still out on the LG portion because I haven't read it yet. Hoping for 85%-90% accuracy on my drilling tonight, shall report with it.
Hey DJ. What do you like better about manhattan LR? Also, would the 2011 version be fine to use? I'm wondering what to get into after the Trainer.
I'm curious about this too (the what you like better part).
Manhattan is just more concise in my opinion, the trainer really harps on the whole, "Every argument has a flaw and that is uniform for all questions." which makes sense but it is a little redundant. Just cleaner if that makes any sense.
That's 23 hours a week, at least. Impressive.
Eh, it actually feels like I'm under preparing tbh. For September, I quit my job in July(?) and studied 6-8 hours a day, which in hindsight probably hurt me more than anything.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I was fucking wrecked after going -6 yesterday. 2nd RC passage in a while but still, -6? Going to try and redeem myself after legs, I will deter everyone with my sweaty self in the library.
I did surprisingly okay on the Sept. LSAT's RC, only missed three.

LR is what did me in, I think.
My first section, an LR section, was the worst. Missed 6 :roll: Hopefully it's not a case of me needing a section to get in some kind of rhythm during test days because I'll never get a boss score that way

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 pm

brinicolec wrote:

My first section, an LR section, was the worst. Missed 6 :roll: Hopefully it's not a case of me needing a section to get in some kind of rhythm during test days because I'll never get a boss score that way
September's RC was -2 for me which is DUMB LUCK because I was almost passed out by the time that section came to me; LG destroyed me as well as LR1. I just need to not be sick and nervous or even worse, a combination of the two and I'm pretty sure I can hit 175+.

Can't sleep on it tho, after legatron is done I must retreat to the library.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Nicole, if it's the case that you need to warm up then definitely do some LR, 1 LG and maybe if you're really trying to live on the edge do an RC passage :mrgreen: :lol:

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:11 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

September's RC was -2 for me which is DUMB LUCK because I was almost passed out by the time that section came to me; LG destroyed me as well as LR1. I just need to not be sick and nervous or even worse, a combination of the two and I'm pretty sure I can hit 175+.

Same I crashed and burned on LG and LR2 all because I wasn't confident-- Thought i bombed RC but went -3 lol...need that confidence of knowing exactly the right and wrong answers to questions and with that I can be way more confident in my test-take and perform optimally

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Back to grinding

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Same I crashed and burned on LG and LR2 all because I wasn't confident-- Thought i bombed RC but went -3 lol...need that confidence of knowing exactly the right and wrong answers to questions and with that I can be way more confident in my test-take and perform optimally
experimental LG destroyed my mentality, then I just kept thinking "Why can't I breathe right. I'm going to retake. So long future." I think this go around (hope) that I can go with a good mentality and I have 4 months to get the weird games down.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:00 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

experimental LG destroyed my mentality, then I just kept thinking "Why can't I breathe right. I'm going to retake. So long future." I think this go around (hope) that I can go with a good mentality and I have 4 months to get the weird games down.
Same brotha!! this time LSAT will so second-nature that confidence will over power anything they can throw our way

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:04 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Same brotha!! this time LSAT will so second-nature that confidence will over power anything they can throw our way
mannn, RC is so weird. I did PT7 yesterday and went -6 on RC and did PT8 today and went -1. Can I get consistency please?

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:19 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
aurelian wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:I never realized how much of a prestige whore I was until now. I really love Texas. But it isn't that prestigious
still a great school if someone wants to work in TX. especially if someone is interested in TX big law.
But But it's not an ivy or prestigious public school!!!
Bruh, in what world is UT-Austin not a prestigious public school?
Maybe it is more prestigious now. Would you compare it to Michigan/Berk/UCLA/UVA?
For undergrad, for sure. I would've gone to TX in a heartbeat if I lived in TX. And I went to Michigan.
I find the tiers of top public schools (for ug) to be something like this:
State Flagship (UF, UT, UCLAkind of)
State Flagship with national reach (UMich, Berk, etc.)
I'm an East coaster. It sounds strange to me to hear Berkeley called prestigious, a flagship, or have a national reach. I always thought it was just a hippy/liberal arts school, and that's kind of the impression I got when I was there for work last year. The only 3 cali schools I assumed were highly thought of are Stanford, USC, and UCLA. That's probably due to NCAA football more than anything though.

That being said, I've lived a mostly sheltered life here in Pennsyltucky, so please nobody be offended by that!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

mannn, RC is so weird. I did PT7 yesterday and went -6 on RC and did PT8 today and went -1. Can I get consistency please?
Yeah prob the hardest section to gain consistency because a lot of it has to do with the passage. Sometimes it clicks super well for me and other times its a struggle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Checking-in! I've been lurking on TLS since before my freshmen year of UG, and I'm now 2 years out... Finally decided to pull the trigger and take the LSAT. 3.95+ gpa and a 160 diagnostic, so I'm looking to crush it! 180 here we go.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:12 am

Last night I had a dream (nightmare?) there was a PLSAT like the PSAT. And you had to take it before you could take the LSAT, and it was scored completely arbitrarily. What brain, am I supposed to feel relieved this morning??

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Went 6/6 (yay) on the second game from the September 2014 test. Took me nearly 25 mins though.

How might one categorize the game. A balanced grouping game?

http://youtu.be/Rl1zpaxe2uc

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Platopus wrote:Checking-in! I've been lurking on TLS since before my freshmen year of UG, and I'm now 2 years out... Finally decided to pull the trigger and take the LSAT. 3.95+ gpa and a 160 diagnostic, so I'm looking to crush it! 180 here we go.
You're exactly in my position LOL. 4.0 and a 160 diagnostic (although I'm a junior in college and I assume you're a sophomore). The pressure is really on for people with high GPAs because the best outcomes (HYS, $$$ at T6) are within reach if our scores are high enough. The corollary is, of course, that anything less than stellar is a letdown.

Also, if you have 2 years left in UG I might recommend waiting until next year to take the test (or at least until September). Focus on keeping that GPA up man.

EDIT: BTW that username is 180. Phil major?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:22 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Checking-in! I've been lurking on TLS since before my freshmen year of UG, and I'm now 2 years out... Finally decided to pull the trigger and take the LSAT. 3.95+ gpa and a 160 diagnostic, so I'm looking to crush it! 180 here we go.
You're exactly in my position LOL. 4.0 and a 160 diagnostic (although I'm a junior in college and I assume you're a sophomore). The pressure is really on for people with high GPAs because the best outcomes (HYS, $$$ at T6) are within reach if our scores are high enough. The corollary is, of course, that anything less than stellar is a letdown.

Also, if you have 2 years left in UG I might recommend waiting until next year to take the test (or at least until September). Focus on keeping that GPA up man.
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought they meant they're now two years out of UG, so they graduated two years ago.... ??? Lol

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:46 pm

debating to take the day off and recuperate. may just do a handful of LR tho.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:19 pm

dm1683 wrote:

EDIT: BTW that username is 180. Phil major?
Thanks! I did major in philosophy. And i'm not sure if it came across this way, but I graduated 2 years ago, so the GPA is 100% locked-in and LSAC confirmed. HYS would be nice, but I'm debt averse so CCN with $$$ is the goal.

I'm currently all the way through the LG and LR bibles and Manhattan LR, & can consistently get around 1-2 time on LG, but have only recently started drilling LR. I'm planning on hitting the Manhattan RC in the next couple weeks too. I have LR and LG sections for tests 1-38 photocopied with duplicates, but have yet to sort by game/question type. I thinking I'm going to leave the LG in the sections as they come, as its hard to get a feel for timing/difficulty doing 4 "grouping" games in a row. Does any one have advice on the LR drilling. Should I be doing them by section, or is it worth it to break it out by question type? Without having done extensive drilling, besides the Q's in the books, I'm tempted to just do them by sections for a month or so until I can really start to identify weaknesses. Thoughts?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Went -0 on four basic ordering games in 18 minutes this afternoon. I'm going to go through the games in PTs 1-38 and do them timed, watch the 7sage video for each one, then do them untimed. I have 3 copies of each game and I think I'm going to save the 3rd copy for later on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”