The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

dj9i27

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:44 am

aurelian wrote:
How many hours are you putting in a day DJ? 4 months for a retake seems like plenty of time right?

M-H probably about 2-3 hours a day 1 of those being reading a prep book the other drilling and reviewing.
F-Sun. I try and shoot for 15 over those 3 days.
brinicolec wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:In chapter 5 of Manhattan LR, I like their approach to LR much better than the trainers version, word is still out on the LG portion because I haven't read it yet. Hoping for 85%-90% accuracy on my drilling tonight, shall report with it.

Hey DJ. What do you like better about manhattan LR? Also, would the 2011 version be fine to use? I'm wondering what to get into after the Trainer.

I'm curious about this too (the what you like better part).

Manhattan is just more concise in my opinion, the trainer really harps on the whole, "Every argument has a flaw and that is uniform for all questions." which makes sense but it is a little redundant. Just cleaner if that makes any sense.

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 am

dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
How many hours are you putting in a day DJ? 4 months for a retake seems like plenty of time right?

M-H probably about 2-3 hours a day 1 of those being reading a prep book the other drilling and reviewing.
F-Sun. I try and shoot for 15 over those 3 days.
brinicolec wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:In chapter 5 of Manhattan LR, I like their approach to LR much better than the trainers version, word is still out on the LG portion because I haven't read it yet. Hoping for 85%-90% accuracy on my drilling tonight, shall report with it.

Hey DJ. What do you like better about manhattan LR? Also, would the 2011 version be fine to use? I'm wondering what to get into after the Trainer.

I'm curious about this too (the what you like better part).

Manhattan is just more concise in my opinion, the trainer really harps on the whole, "Every argument has a flaw and that is uniform for all questions." which makes sense but it is a little redundant. Just cleaner if that makes any sense.

Are you werkin full time now too?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:37 am

aurelian wrote:
Are you werkin full time now too?

yeah, I've got Fridays off so at least I've got that going for me.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Went 15/15 on both Main Conclusion and Most Strongly Supported questions this morning. Gonna do 2 RC sections and some games later this afternoon. I've got my first PT tentatively scheduled for March 9th, hopefully I'm ready by then.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:40 pm

did an RC section untimed (but with a steady rhythm, time wise) and went -4. Been trying to use Nicole's RC notation strategy and I still need to work on some stuff but I'm getting there.

still need to work on my timing, because even though I tried to keep a steady pace and go somewhat fast, I was still beyond slow

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Mikey wrote:did an RC section untimed (but with a steady rhythm, time wise) and went -4. Been trying to use Nicole's RC notation strategy and I still need to work on some stuff but I'm getting there.

still need to work on my timing, because even though I tried to keep a steady pace and go somewhat fast, I was still beyond slow

What's the rotation strategy

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:55 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:did an RC section untimed (but with a steady rhythm, time wise) and went -4. Been trying to use Nicole's RC notation strategy and I still need to work on some stuff but I'm getting there.

I linked it to you yesterday I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4puXXT_gU&t=4537s

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Mikey wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

I linked it to you yesterday I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4puXXT_gU&t=4537s

Sorry. I've slept since then and don't remember much from yesterday LOL. Thanks again

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Just did an untimed RC section with Voyager method, with the first passage being my first try with the method.
I went -4 on the section. It's clear to me this method works best (for me). The answers come so easily and the passage flies by. Will stay with Voyager for sure!

CaliforniaHooligan

New

Postby CaliforniaHooligan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm

thewhalefish wrote:Just did an untimed RC section with Voyager method, with the first passage being my first try with the method.
I went -4 on the section. It's clear to me this method works best (for me). The answers come so easily and the passage flies by. Will stay with Voyager for sure!

Any chance you could link me to this mystical voyager method of RC?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 pm

CaliforniaHooligan wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:Just did an untimed RC section with Voyager method, with the first passage being my first try with the method.

Any chance you could link me to this mystical voyager method of RC?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240
heer u go buddeh

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Just finished RC section #2 for June studying. This one went rough, the first passage I thought was my best and missed 3 then only missed 2 more throughout the rest of the section. Didn't time myself (directly) but got 37:32 on the clock in the other room. LR went much better, 15/15 on my QT training.

Holy shit this is going to be a longggg road.

V1ncent_G

New

Postby V1ncent_G » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:47 am

For those who do well on LR, I would like to know do you articulate the reason why the choices are wrong for each question or simply have a feeling that it is not right. As for me, I just know that certain answer choice are not right but I cannot explain the specific reason. I do not know if this kind of strategy is wrong, so I would like to know the exact approach for you guys to solve the LR problem. Thx!

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:58 am

V1ncent_G wrote:For those who do well on LR, I would like to know do you articulate the reason why the choices are wrong for each question or simply have a feeling that it is not right. As for me, I just know that certain answer choice are not right but I cannot explain the specific reason. I do not know if this kind of strategy is wrong, so I would like to know the exact approach for you guys to solve the LR problem. Thx!

I try to come up with a reason for why each wrong answer is wrong. Sometimes I'll write them out but most of the time I just think of them in my head. They're usually simple reasons like "out of scope".

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:07 am

Since I've already taken the LSAT twice (read the Trainer + Bibles for LG and LR), do you guys think I'd be fine to just drill?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:08 am

V1ncent_G wrote:For those who do well on LR, I would like to know do you articulate the reason why the choices are wrong for each question or simply have a feeling that it is not right. As for me, I just know that certain answer choice are not right but I cannot explain the specific reason. I do not know if this kind of strategy is wrong, so I would like to know the exact approach for you guys to solve the LR problem. Thx!

Sometimes I just have a feeling, but I prefer to have a reason. Like, if I feel like something's wrong but I can't say why, I don't cross it out, I just kind of note that I'm not sold on it being the right answer and keep looking.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 am

brinicolec wrote:Since I've already taken the LSAT twice (read the Trainer + Bibles for LG and LR), do you guys think I'd be fine to just drill?

Maybe skim through some stuff like the trainer again, you can't go wrong. I took it twice too and went through some of the 7sage LR curriculum again and found it pretty helpful to do so again even if it was fairly quick that I did lol. I only did it for weaken, MSS, flaw and 1 other Q type but don't remember. Then I drilled a shit ton :D

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 am

Does anyone else struggle hard with conditional logic on LR? It seems to take me way too long. Any tips or places I should direct my studying at?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 pm

aurelian wrote:Does anyone else struggle hard with conditional logic on LR? It seems to take me way too long. Any tips or places I should direct my studying at?

What exactly about conditional logic are you struggling with? Is it the somes, mosts, etc?

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Mikey wrote:
aurelian wrote:Does anyone else struggle hard with conditional logic on LR? It seems to take me way too long. Any tips or places I should direct my studying at?

What exactly about conditional logic are you struggling with? Is it the somes, mosts, etc?

Not sure. Just writing out the damn thing seems to take a long time. I think it is mostly some, most conditional logic but it is conditional logic in general. Just don't seem to be making the right inferences and I miss questions far more on these QTs than any other type. How often do heavy conditional logic questions even appear on the LSAT?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 pm

aurelian wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Not sure. Just writing out the damn thing seems to take a long time. I think it is mostly some, most conditional logic but it is conditional logic in general. Just don't seem to be making the right inferences and I miss questions far more on these QTs than any other type. How often do heavy conditional logic questions even appear on the LSAT?

I see. As for the frequency of their appearance, I'm not sure of but definitely not that often and if they do, then maybe like 1 or 2 per test.

You will gain speed after a while, just like with LG. Just keep doing them and you will get it after a while, they end up being pretty easy with practice!

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Mikey wrote:
aurelian wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I see. As for the frequency of their appearance, I'm not sure of but definitely not that often and if they do, then maybe like 1 or 2 per test.

You will gain speed after a while, just like with LG. Just keep doing them and you will get it after a while, they end up being pretty easy with practice!

Conditional logic is quite frequent on the LSAT, but, towards the end of your studies, you shouldn't necessarily need to diagram more than two or three questions per section.

Some/Most questions will often hinge on the distinction of which ways most/some flow... both are reversible, but most becomes some if you reverse it.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:02 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
aurelian wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Conditional logic is quite frequent on the LSAT, but, towards the end of your studies, you shouldn't necessarily need to diagram more than two or three questions per section.

Some/Most questions will often hinge on the distinction of which ways most/some flow... both are reversible, but most becomes some if you reverse it.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just don't really notice it much because I've just grown accustomed to not diagramming in LR unless it looks confusing without it

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Mikey wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Since I've already taken the LSAT twice (read the Trainer + Bibles for LG and LR), do you guys think I'd be fine to just drill?

Maybe skim through some stuff like the trainer again, you can't go wrong. I took it twice too and went through some of the 7sage LR curriculum again and found it pretty helpful to do so again even if it was fairly quick that I did lol. I only did it for weaken, MSS, flaw and 1 other Q type but don't remember. Then I drilled a shit ton :D

Hm.. Maybe I'll drill and see how I feel then try a different book if I feel like I need some guidance...

Anyone found a foolproof plan for RC yet? lol.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Hm.. Maybe I'll drill and see how I feel then try a different book if I feel like I need some guidance...

Anyone found a foolproof plan for RC yet? lol.

I WISH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?