The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

PrezRand

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby PrezRand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:34 pm

34iplaw wrote:
aurelian wrote:
Yeah, in response to you and Rand, I think the key really is being able to tear through a passage without being afraid not to understand details.

I can get through a passage in 2:00 - 2:30, and that gives me plenty of time to mark up where the details are and understand generally what each paragraph is saying. Then, I'll have plenty of time to fill in the gaps if needed. Let me emphasize as well that I am normally not a fast reader... I just know what the LSAT seems to require, and it's been a while since I've gotten more than -1 on a RC passage. Now to just master LG...

I never tried Voyager, but I do agree with you. I think the Memory Method is worthwhile on old passages though as a way to simply increase your reading comprehension (the skill not the section).

For me, the real click in going from -5/-6 to -1/-2 was to stop trying to rely on my memory for details. Reading too closely made me think I remembered details which were actually slightly off... by not relying on my memory, my score improved. I do think that trying the memory method for some passages though did help my general reading ability... perhaps it helped me memorize structures... not sure.

Whats the memory method

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:50 pm

PrezRand wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
aurelian wrote:
Yeah, in response to you and Rand, I think the key really is being able to tear through a passage without being afraid not to understand details.

I can get through a passage in 2:00 - 2:30, and that gives me plenty of time to mark up where the details are and understand generally what each paragraph is saying. Then, I'll have plenty of time to fill in the gaps if needed. Let me emphasize as well that I am normally not a fast reader... I just know what the LSAT seems to require, and it's been a while since I've gotten more than -1 on a RC passage. Now to just master LG...

I never tried Voyager, but I do agree with you. I think the Memory Method is worthwhile on old passages though as a way to simply increase your reading comprehension (the skill not the section).

For me, the real click in going from -5/-6 to -1/-2 was to stop trying to rely on my memory for details. Reading too closely made me think I remembered details which were actually slightly off... by not relying on my memory, my score improved. I do think that trying the memory method for some passages though did help my general reading ability... perhaps it helped me memorize structures... not sure.

Whats the memory method

7sages way to attack RC

nyc56

New

Postby nyc56 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Anyone get ridiculously high scores on early exams and not do as well on recent ones. Just took PT17, and got a 174. Though on exams 60+ I usually score in the mid 160s

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:55 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
aurelian wrote:

Whats the memory method

7sages way to attack RC

Do I have to buy anything in order to check their method out?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:11 pm

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
aurelian wrote:

Whats the memory method

7sages way to attack RC

Do I have to buy anything in order to check their method out?

https://7sage.com/lsat-reading-comprehe ... ry-method/
Nah, this gives the rundown. Personally I didn't care for it the trainers method of, "just read it for content instead of memorizing" suits me better (disclaimer, that is the most layperson expression of his RC method ever).

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Hopefully someone can empathize with me here. LR is actually wrecking me in PTs. I don't know why or how, but it's like I get tunnel vision and everything just zooms in, and then my neck hurts or maybe it doesn't, and then I get really uncomfortable and get stuck. I have to reread and reread the stimulus. It's not just in LSAT, but in everyday reading too.

Has anyone had this problem/found any solutions? Maybe it's just a sign of needing more practice. Did any of that make sense? Lol :shock:

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 pm

thewhalefish wrote:Hopefully someone can empathize with me here. LR is actually wrecking me in PTs. I don't know why or how, but it's like I get tunnel vision and everything just zooms in, and then my neck hurts or maybe it doesn't, and then I get really uncomfortable and get stuck. I have to reread and reread the stimulus. It's not just in LSAT, but in everyday reading too.

Has anyone had this problem/found any solutions? Maybe it's just a sign of needing more practice. Did any of that make sense? Lol :shock:

It gets better, just keep plugging along and drilling by question type and soon things will start to click. There is also slightly over 4 months, most people probably half assed study 2, so plenty of time for improvement.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:Hopefully someone can empathize with me here. LR is actually wrecking me in PTs. I don't know why or how, but it's like I get tunnel vision and everything just zooms in, and then my neck hurts or maybe it doesn't, and then I get really uncomfortable and get stuck. I have to reread and reread the stimulus. It's not just in LSAT, but in everyday reading too.

It gets better, just keep plugging along and drilling by question type and soon things will start to click. There is also slightly over 4 months, most people probably half assed study 2, so plenty of time for improvement.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right about the improvement! Also, what do you mean by question type? I have done very little of the LR Bible (been focusing heavily on LG) so I'm not too sure of what you mean. Thanks again.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right about the improvement! Also, what do you mean by question type? I have done very little of the LR Bible (been focusing heavily on LG) so I'm not too sure of what you mean. Thanks again.

so this is where I am following plitypikes plan and you drill by LR question type a la assumption, strengthen, weaken, flaw, etc.

I do about 8-10 of flaw, strengthen/weaken and flaw a day whilst reading the Manhattan book. then next month I do the rest of the QTs with timed sections.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:10 pm

DJ, do you mean Pithypike and this guide viewtopic.php?t=41657 ?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 pm

thewhalefish wrote:DJ, do you mean Pithypike and this guide viewtopic.php?t=41657 ?

Yes, great guide if used correctly. The only thing I am doing different (and am still debating it, would appropriate anyone else has thoughts on my choice) is I'm spreading out the PTs over 2 months instead of 1 and adding more timed section drilling as well (mostly RC and LR). I want to be at least 40-50 PTs deep so that in total counting Sept. and half of Dec. studying I'll crack 100 PTs.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:DJ, do you mean Pithypike and this guide viewtopic.php?t=41657 ?

Yes, great guide if used correctly. The only thing I am doing different (and am still debating it, would appropriate anyone else has thoughts on my choice) is I'm spreading out the PTs over 2 months instead of 1 and adding more timed section drilling as well (mostly RC and LR). I want to be at least 40-50 PTs deep so that in total counting Sept. and half of Dec. studying I'll crack 100 PTs.

Clearly you need to study more.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:45 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

*image of a sad meme that I laughed at that I cant quote because rules*

That's the spirit! At least you're at the point where you have a solid schedule and all that figured out... I'm roughly a month in and still don't really have a plain laid out. Still just reading Powerscore and doing an old PT here and there and reviewing answers. Meh.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:51 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

*image of a sad meme that I laughed at that I cant quote because rules*

That's the spirit! At least you're at the point where you have a solid schedule and all that figured out... I'm roughly a month in and still don't really have a plain laid out. Still just reading Powerscore and doing an old PT here and there and reviewing answers. Meh.

I'll stand by that PP method, if it weren't for the worst luck in the world (being sick and september and personal shit in december) I'm positive I would have cracked 175. Play around with it this weekend it really does make a difference after a month or two.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:58 pm

I'll try it for sure on Saturday! As a side question, what is your opinion on working LGs out on a lap-size dry erase board? I've been doing that instead of printing out the games; it saves paper and all I have to do is write down ABCDE (not the whole answers) and just do what I would normally do on paper, there. The only downside is not having records of my attempts, but even then I write down what I got wrong and why, etc.

Edit: I also hate doing games on the older tests because of the lackluster space, so this is much better.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:01 pm

thewhalefish wrote:I'll try it for sure on Saturday! As a side question, what is your opinion on working LGs out on a lap-size dry erase board? I've been doing that instead of printing out the games; it saves paper and all I have to do is write down ABCDE (not the whole answers) and just do what I would normally do on paper, there. The only downside is not having records of my attempts, but even then I write down what I got wrong and why, etc.

I just went to Office Depot and bought a shit load of paper and printed them out x4 each; painstaking process but I like to have records of my stuff. However, if it works for you then don't change it the paper gives you the edge on tracking your progress.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:09 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:I'll try it for sure on Saturday! As a side question, what is your opinion on working LGs out on a lap-size dry erase board? I've been doing that instead of printing out the games; it saves paper and all I have to do is write down ABCDE (not the whole answers) and just do what I would normally do on paper, there. The only downside is not having records of my attempts, but even then I write down what I got wrong and why, etc.

I just went to Office Depot and bought a shit load of paper and printed them out x4 each; painstaking process but I like to have records of my stuff. However, if it works for you then don't change it the paper gives you the edge on tracking your progress.

Good advice. It's funny that you mentioned Office Depot because one was going out of business near me so I went and bought a lot of paper...lol. If I were to print any amount of games, it would be my school's printers at the library which can add up at $0.9 per page. I think I'll stick with my dry erase board.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Good advice. It's funny that you mentioned Office Depot because one was going out of business near me so I went and bought a lot of paper...lol. If I were to print any amount of games, it would be my school's printers at the library which can add up at $0.9 per page. I think I'll stick with my dry erase board.

the only ones I would 100% recommend a tangible copy of would be the weird games or very hard ones.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

the only ones I would 100% recommend a tangible copy of would be the weird games or very hard ones.

There is one in the Advanced Linear Games section of the LG Bible that I will be printing out. Game 4 from February 1993. PS says it's one of their all-time favorites. It was pretty difficult for me, mostly because of diagramming the setup (which is my problem most of the time).

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:23 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

There is one in the Advanced Linear Games section of the LG Bible that I will be printing out. Game 4 from February 1993. PS says it's one of their all-time favorites. It was pretty difficult for me, mostly because of diagramming the setup (which is my problem most of the time).

Advanced seem almost impossible at the beginning but, after about ~2 weeks of consistent drilling you see patterns. The ones I am still stumped by are the newer, "weird" games but I'll cross that bridge in month 3; month 4 needs to be honing, no learning.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:34 pm

What month are you actually in? IIRC, you said you've been doing this for a pretty long time now. I'm guessing month 3 is March?
I'd like to stick with you as much as I can for accountability if we are on the same 1/2/3/4/5 month J/F/M/A/May schedule.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 pm

thewhalefish wrote:What month are you actually in? IIRC, you said you've been doing this for a pretty long time now. I'm guessing month 3 is March?
I'd like to stick with you as much as I can for accountability if we are on the same 1/2/3/4/5 month J/F/M/A/May schedule.

I spent January going over the trainer with minimal drilling, so I'm going to count the 12th of this month day 1 of legit studying.
Feb-March month 1
March to april Month 2
April to may Month 3
May to June 10thish Month 4

3 and 4 are purely PTs and timed sections, I think this is enough.

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:What month are you actually in? IIRC, you said you've been doing this for a pretty long time now. I'm guessing month 3 is March?

I spent January going over the trainer with minimal drilling, so I'm going to count the 12th of this month day 1 of legit studying.
Feb-March month 1
March to april Month 2
April to may Month 3

Sounds good. I need a good time frame so I'll copy you lol. Can't wait for M3 and M4 with real PTs every other day! I'm stoked just thinking how much better I will be by then.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:41 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Feb-March month 1
March to april Month 2
April to may Month 3

Sounds good. I need a good time frame so I'll copy you lol. Can't wait for M3 and M4 with real PTs every other day! I'm stoked just thinking how much better I will be by then.

sounds like your going in with a good head on your shoulders! one thing I intend to do is take a day off every now and again (once or twice a month) it might not be great to 100% let it consume you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?