The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:53 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:it just hit me that I'm graduating college.

fuck man

HEY! WELCOME TO ANGST TOWN POPULATION: US BECAUSE WE ARE IN LIFE PURGATORY!

Oh wait, you have 3 months of glorious UG experience, make it last.

bout to drop some classes and take like 1 class for the next 2 semesters so I stay long. real world won't cashh me outside

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

fuck man

HEY! WELCOME TO ANGST TOWN POPULATION: US BECAUSE WE ARE IN LIFE PURGATORY!

Oh wait, you have 3 months of glorious UG experience, make it last.

bout to drop some classes and take like 1 class for the next 2 semesters so I stay long. real world won't cashh me outside

Eh it is not that bad, just different and you have to adjust to certain things.

ALL OF THAT WAS A LIE, PLEASE STAY AS LONG AS POSSIBLE THIS IS A FRESH HELL... YOU WILL BE AWAKE BEFORE THE SUN RISES!

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:19 pm

I've already sent this to Mikey, but it is applicable to anyone graduating college:

thewhalefish

New

Postby thewhalefish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm

fuck man

Man... same here. It's like the end of April is the beginning of the end of doing not so much. You are applying for law school for fall of '18, right?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:40 pm

thewhalefish wrote:

fuck man

Man... same here. It's like the end of April is the beginning of the end of doing not so much. You are applying for law school for fall of '18, right?

Yep! Was going to apply this current cycle but didn't quite get the score I wanted. So I'm hopeful for applying in September!

I legit feel like I JUST took a bunch of freshman classes lol

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:43 pm

34iplaw wrote:I've already sent this to Mikey, but it is applicable to anyone graduating college:

Can confirm, not even 1 year out and I found a grey hair yesterday. I'm going to dump sharpie ink on my head now.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:I've already sent this to Mikey, but it is applicable to anyone graduating college:

Can confirm, not even 1 year out and I found a grey hair yesterday. I'm going to dump sharpie ink on my head now.

I don't know why, but I thought you were more than one year out or were teetering on non-trad land.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:12 pm

34iplaw wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I don't know why, but I thought you were more than one year out or were teetering on non-trad land.

am older?
[+] Spoiler

Nah, I've just lived too much life so far lol. Academia was the nicest because most were fresh and didn't know what real shit was like so I could act like everything was cheery for 4 years too. I actually am really looking forward to LS, I think most of us are tho.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:42 am

34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Went -5 on PT74 RC today. It was a redo from, I think, August but I didn't remember anything about any of the passages. I'd really like to be able to get down to -2/-3 consistently to give myself some leeway in case we get a weird game. RC is my worst section but I think I can make some nice gains if I practice enough.

Congrats... RC is all about just testing around to find what works for you. For me, going from -6 to -1/-2 was about reading through the passage faster and forcing myself to delve into the passage for the questions... -6 is a trap I'd fall in from trusting my memory too much. I'm not sure if that will help you, but it helped me.

Thanks man. It's nothing great, but it's a lot better than I did in September so I'm happy with my progress. I'm still trying to feel around and see what works best for me on it. I just finished going through the Blueprint RC book so I'm going to try out some of their strategies and see how they work. How long would you spend reading through the passage?

I preferred Manhattan RC to Blueprint. I think Blueprint does a good job, but, to be honest, I'm not sure the humor approach works terribly well for me. For those that it does, that's great.

For me, I tried the memory method. I think the memory method helped me improve my RC skills but it wasn't the right strategy for me to approach questions. Generall speaking, easier passages I would probably finish in a bit over two minutes and harder passages in a bit over three minutes.

Yeah Blueprint was pretty damn cheesy at times lol but I think It helped me focus. It's definitely not for everyone though.

I didn't really like the memory method when I first used it on 7sage but now that I'm done with all of my background studying and am focusing on drilling I think I'm going to try it out again. I notate a lot and I'm thinking that might be slowing me down. Four months should be enough time to find some kind of system that works for me.. Hopefully

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:50 am

fuck man

That shit hit me hard one night during winter break. I laid in bed reminiscing for like 2 hours. I always expected to be KJD so I never thought that I would be sad to graduate, but now that I'm taking a gap year it sucks. I'm hoping to find a job in my college town so I can still pretend to be in college lol.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 am

brinicolec wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Went -5 on PT74 RC today. It was a redo from, I think, August but I didn't remember anything about any of the passages. I'd really like to be able to get down to -2/-3 consistently to give myself some leeway in case we get a weird game. RC is my worst section but I think I can make some nice gains if I practice enough.

Congrats... RC is all about just testing around to find what works for you. For me, going from -6 to -1/-2 was about reading through the passage faster and forcing myself to delve into the passage for the questions... -6 is a trap I'd fall in from trusting my memory too much. I'm not sure if that will help you, but it helped me.

This isn't advice or anything but DAMMIT I HATE READING COMP SO MUCH AND IDK WHY lol

Hahaha SAME! It seems like it would be so simple and yet it's my worst section. I'm so jealous of the people who are good at it right away :roll:

PS sorry for the triple post guys lol. I spent all day cramming for an exam in a class I took because I thought it was a blowoff :lol:

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

This isn't advice or anything but DAMMIT I HATE READING COMP SO MUCH AND IDK WHY lol

Hahaha SAME! It seems like it would be so simple and yet it's my worst section. I'm so jealous of the people who are good at it right away :roll:

PS sorry for the triple post guys lol. I spent all day cramming for an exam in a class I took because I thought it was a blowoff :lol:

It's okay - I'm quoting this post b/c it's shorter. Personally, I don't think the memory method is the way to approach RC. I think the benefit of the memory method is training your reading muscles. I think it will improve your performance when using the method that works best for you.

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:45 am

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:53 am

Looks like I'll be taking it for the 4th time this June to get myself off a couple of waitlists and get more scholly. We got this!

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm

34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

It's okay - I'm quoting this post b/c it's shorter. Personally, I don't think the memory method is the way to approach RC. I think the benefit of the memory method is training your reading muscles. I think it will improve your performance when using the method that works best for you.

I regularly go -0/-1 on RC and I would say that the MM is really terrible. The point of RC is just not to test short-term memory. It is almost 100% a factor of knowing where the details are/knowing the structure. In order to do well, I think you need to drill the concepts of Voyager and the Trainer. Those concepts for the most part are: be an active reader (and show some mental discipline), know the structure, and know the viewpoints. That's it.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:30 pm

aurelian wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

I regularly go -0/-1 on RC and I would say that the MM is really terrible. The point of RC is just not to test short-term memory. It is almost 100% a factor of knowing where the details are/knowing the structure. In order to do well, I think you need to drill the concepts of Voyager and the Trainer. Those concepts for the most part are: be an active reader (and show some mental discipline), know the structure, and know the viewpoints. That's it.

Is this what you're talking about with Voyager?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... php?t=7240

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:47 pm

checking back in..... just got back from a euro trip and realized i should probably start looking at an lsats

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:27 pm

aurelian wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

And this is why I struggle with RC. I used to be good at this because I did debate in high school but now meh

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:53 pm

My RC needs work! This conversation has been beneficial.

Untimed PT 7 done in the last 3 days:

LR1: -1
LG: -0 (put a timer on and finished in 30:37 :D )
RC: -6 (timed the first 2 passages, then went back to untimed. -1 on the untimed.)
LR2: -4

90/173

For week 3 of my prep. I'm relatively happy. Going to start doing timed sections the next 2 weeks. Then start PTing with review twice a week. Aiming to get 25 PTs in.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:56 pm

shit the bed on a PT today

163 and I'm pissed about it

as usual, RC penetrated me without any lube. seriously thinking of winging RC on test day and just guessing. I more than likely will get a better outcome than actually doing the passages, smfh.

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Anyone have/know anyone selling a watch for the LSAT? Is anyone using a specialized watch? Seems kindof dumb to blow 60 bucks on a watch.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:09 pm

aurelian wrote:Anyone have/know anyone selling a watch for the LSAT? Is anyone using a specialized watch? Seems kindof dumb to blow 60 bucks on a watch.

Spent ~$100 Canadian (so like $75 American) on the 180 watch. I shelled out the money because of my paranoia from my last take. I like it a lot.

aurelian

New

Postby aurelian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:09 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Is this what you're talking about with Voyager?

viewtopic.php?t=7240

Yeah, in response to you and Rand, I think the key really is being able to tear through a passage without being afraid not to understand details.

I can get through a passage in 2:00 - 2:30, and that gives me plenty of time to mark up where the details are and understand generally what each paragraph is saying. Then, I'll have plenty of time to fill in the gaps if needed. Let me emphasize as well that I am normally not a fast reader... I just know what the LSAT seems to require, and it's been a while since I've gotten more than -1 on a RC passage. Now to just master LG...

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:04 pm

this econ class is kicking my ass. I took it for personal enrichment. Personally, I feel stupid now.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:07 pm

aurelian wrote:
Yeah, in response to you and Rand, I think the key really is being able to tear through a passage without being afraid not to understand details.

I can get through a passage in 2:00 - 2:30, and that gives me plenty of time to mark up where the details are and understand generally what each paragraph is saying. Then, I'll have plenty of time to fill in the gaps if needed. Let me emphasize as well that I am normally not a fast reader... I just know what the LSAT seems to require, and it's been a while since I've gotten more than -1 on a RC passage. Now to just master LG...

I never tried Voyager, but I do agree with you. I think the Memory Method is worthwhile on old passages though as a way to simply increase your reading comprehension (the skill not the section).

For me, the real click in going from -5/-6 to -1/-2 was to stop trying to rely on my memory for details. Reading too closely made me think I remembered details which were actually slightly off... by not relying on my memory, my score improved. I do think that trying the memory method for some passages though did help my general reading ability... perhaps it helped me memorize structures... not sure.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?