The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Pozzo

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Pozzo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:07 am

Saylor1720 wrote:Does anyone know if I can use the same photo as last time to register for the lsat. Or do I need a new one?

Same photo is fine.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:12 am

Pozzo wrote:Same photo is fine.

Mah heero<3

e: also, officially registered yesterday :oops:

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 am

Mikey wrote:

Mah heero<3

Go Mikey, go!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:31 am

Pozzo wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Mah heero<3

Go Mikey, go!

Last 4 PT scores in order: 166, 165, 167, 169

Can't wait to be in the 170's! Still need to work hard on RC though, and focus better on LR because I still make silly mistakes

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Crushing it Mikey!

What's everyone's preparation strategy for these "harder" or "weird" games?

There seems to be a collective freak out from the lsat community.

Personally, I think I'm just going to focus on the fundamentals. Really pay attention to my inferences. At the end of the day they can't be all that different. I remember Decembers building game and just doing it with no real diagram (except initial set up). I think that was beneficial because it seems that it was easier to figure out in your head rather than on paper.

-0 might now be a lofty goal on the new tests as well (not on old PTs). So picking up the slack in other sections might have to be an option.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:Crushing it Mikey!

Personally, I think I'm just going to focus on the fundamentals. Really pay attention to my inferences. At the end of the day they can't be all that different. I remember Decembers building game and just doing it with no real diagram (except initial set up). I think that was beneficial because it seems that it was easier to figure out in your head rather than on paper.

-0 might now be a lofty goal on the new tests as well (not on old PTs). So picking up the slack in other sections might have to be an option.

New weird games are often repeats from old PTs (1-10). Definitely check those out. Also, feb didn't have any weird games, so the trend may not continue

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:37 pm

maybeman wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:Crushing it Mikey!

New weird games are often repeats from old PTs (1-10). Definitely check those out. Also, feb didn't have any weird games, so the trend may not continue

yes. doing the really old games (pre-PT20) helped me to get a better understanding of how to do the newer weird games. and sometimes drawing a diagram as you would for the more typical games is NOT helpful. but like maybeman said, Feb didn't have any weird games! woo!

PrezRand

Gold

Postby PrezRand » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Mikey wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Mah heero<3

Go Mikey, go!

Can't wait to be in the 170's! Still need to work hard on RC though, and focus better on LR because I still make silly mistakes

You are really crushing it man!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:19 pm

PrezRand wrote:You are really crushing it man!

Thanks, I got a -6 on my RC from Sunday's test but my BR was -4. Kinda screwed that one up, but it is what it is

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 pm

While this claim is unsubstantiated, I think you need flexibility and deep understanding of games. I think you can increase this by trying to rule drive games and eliminate answers that cannot be right due to things like interchangeability (ie logically equivalent answers).

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Okay, I'm back on the horse tomorrow. My slight breakdown was overdue, hopefully I'm rid of it until June 13th (inb4 3 day weekend comes and I do this again).

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Anyone who has ordered stuff DIRECTLY from LSAC, do you know if they provide a tracking number?

E:NEVERMIND. They do

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Mah heero<3

Go Mikey, go!

You are really crushing it man!

Nice bro-- Keep it up!!!

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 pm

34iplaw wrote:While this claim is unsubstantiated, I think you need flexibility and deep understanding of games. I think you can increase this by trying to rule drive games and eliminate answers that cannot be right due to things like interchangeability (ie logically equivalent answers).

Old timer coming in to vouch for this. I had the distinct pleasure of doing the weird games in Sept and Dec this year. I had a pretty loose and flexible approach to LG that saved me there. If you're too rigid and formulaic in your approach, the weird games will screw you. In addition to your suggestion, become agile in translating rules from English to logic. I also recommend really cementing the way multiple rules work together. In fact, rather than spending a bunch of time on advanced techniques, I'd really hone in on the fundamentals to master that. The rest will come in time and when you do get the weird game, you'll have a broader framework through which to process it.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:05 am

Pozzo wrote:
34iplaw wrote:While this claim is unsubstantiated, I think you need flexibility and deep understanding of games. I think you can increase this by trying to rule drive games and eliminate answers that cannot be right due to things like interchangeability (ie logically equivalent answers).

Old timer coming in to vouch for this. I had the distinct pleasure of doing the weird games in Sept and Dec this year. I had a pretty loose and flexible approach to LG that saved me there. If you're too rigid and formulaic in your approach, the weird games will screw you. In addition to your suggestion, become agile in translating rules from English to logic. I also recommend really cementing the way multiple rules work together. In fact, rather than spending a bunch of time on advanced techniques, I'd really hone in on the fundamentals to master that. The rest will come in time and when you do get the weird game, you'll have a broader framework through which to process it.

Agreed. Not to market my own jam although you should all check it out and consider contributing... but I think my approach to #22 on this game is particularly relevant...

https://180pedia.com/every-lsat-practic ... -1-game-4/

(It's currently pretty bare, but you can also use it as a well-organized directory of explanations from Velocity, Manhattan Prep, and LSATHacks... I may rebuild it to include PowerScore on the individual question pages)

It is a rather time-consuming question, but, with a deeper understanding, you can quickly see that four of the answers just simply do not make sense. For example, the local condition places NOS but, given the set up of the game, every variable is entirely interchangeable other than it's initial placement. For that reason, no answer concerning one of the three or even two of the three variables can be MBT for this question. I'm not sure how well I articulated that, but I think these insights into interchangeable variables and deeper underpinnings of games are pretty important. If you want to check it out, I've currently uploaded my insights for the games sections of 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 52.

I ran through the book for a friend, and I think the following games are terrific games from the first bundle of tests.

PT 7 game 2
PT 9 game 2 and 3
PT 10 game 3 (easy but has weird rules to interpret)
PT 11 game 2 special emphases on #11
PT 13 game 3 and 4
PT 14 game 3 and 4
PT 15 game 3
PT 16 game 4 (weird game)
PT 18 I like the entire section

Some of the games are relatively easy, but I like them for illustrating certain ideas (probably mentioned in my blurbs on that site) or simply because the rules cascade in a nice an elegant way.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 am

Went -5 on PT74 RC today. It was a redo from, I think, August but I didn't remember anything about any of the passages. I'd really like to be able to get down to -2/-3 consistently to give myself some leeway in case we get a weird game. RC is my worst section but I think I can make some nice gains if I practice enough.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 am

blackmamba8 wrote:Went -5 on PT74 RC today. It was a redo from, I think, August but I didn't remember anything about any of the passages. I'd really like to be able to get down to -2/-3 consistently to give myself some leeway in case we get a weird game. RC is my worst section but I think I can make some nice gains if I practice enough.

Congrats... RC is all about just testing around to find what works for you. For me, going from -6 to -1/-2 was about reading through the passage faster and forcing myself to delve into the passage for the questions... -6 is a trap I'd fall in from trusting my memory too much. I'm not sure if that will help you, but it helped me.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:42 am

34iplaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Went -5 on PT74 RC today. It was a redo from, I think, August but I didn't remember anything about any of the passages. I'd really like to be able to get down to -2/-3 consistently to give myself some leeway in case we get a weird game. RC is my worst section but I think I can make some nice gains if I practice enough.

Congrats... RC is all about just testing around to find what works for you. For me, going from -6 to -1/-2 was about reading through the passage faster and forcing myself to delve into the passage for the questions... -6 is a trap I'd fall in from trusting my memory too much. I'm not sure if that will help you, but it helped me.

Thanks man. It's nothing great, but it's a lot better than I did in September so I'm happy with my progress. I'm still trying to feel around and see what works best for me on it. I just finished going through the Blueprint RC book so I'm going to try out some of their strategies and see how they work. How long would you spend reading through the passage?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:57 am

blackmamba8 wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Thanks man. It's nothing great, but it's a lot better than I did in September so I'm happy with my progress. I'm still trying to feel around and see what works best for me on it. I just finished going through the Blueprint RC book so I'm going to try out some of their strategies and see how they work. How long would you spend reading through the passage?

I preferred Manhattan RC to Blueprint. I think Blueprint does a good job, but, to be honest, I'm not sure the humor approach works terribly well for me. For those that it does, that's great.

For me, I tried the memory method. I think the memory method helped me improve my RC skills but it wasn't the right strategy for me to approach questions. Generall speaking, easier passages I would probably finish in a bit over two minutes and harder passages in a bit over three minutes.

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm thinking of my drill schedule right now, I might move to a read MH for 30 minutes per section (RC, LG, LR) then drill for an hour and a half on RC/LR one day and LR/LG the other; maybe LG everyday. I'll play with it tomorrow, LR is going a lot nicer this go around.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:13 pm

dj9i27 wrote:I'm thinking of my drill schedule right now, I might move to a read MH for 30 minutes per section (RC, LG, LR) then drill for an hour and a half on RC/LR one day and LR/LG the other; maybe LG everyday. I'll play with it tomorrow, LR is going a lot nicer this go around.

TELL ME ABOUT IT

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:39 pm

I just created a tentative drill schedule starting next week until April. Starting with LR, then going to LG (while adding a LR section), then going to RC (while redoing any LG games I missed), then doing one section of each for a week or so and thoroughly (I hope lol) reviewing before taking my first timed test that Friday before April, then I'll create the next couple months' study schedule based on my weaknesses when I take the test.

Not sure how many full PTs I want to take before the test this time around. It started off as a confidence booster before the Sept. LSAT but when my score dipped, it turned into a source of panic lol.
Last edited by brinicolec on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:40 pm

it just hit me that I'm graduating college.

fuck man

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Mikey wrote:it just hit me that I'm graduating college.

fuck man

HEY! WELCOME TO ANGST TOWN POPULATION: US BECAUSE WE ARE IN LIFE PURGATORY!

Oh wait, you have 3 months of glorious UG experience, make it last.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:50 pm

34iplaw wrote:

This isn't advice or anything but DAMMIT I HATE READING COMP SO MUCH AND IDK WHY lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?