The Official June 2017 Study Group

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

ngogirl12

Silver

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Walliums wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Just did an RC section, -6 FML

dood der is over 4 months until the test, u prolly can't improve. am sory :(

Seriously tho, you can bring that up to -2 in 1.5 months :/

I feel like there is some point when it just clicks? I read through the Trainer's chapter again on specific question types, dumped the memory method, and pretty quickly started going -2.

I still look at a good number of questions and go WTF, but I guess my POE is decent.

I hope to get your accuracy level one day but I thought I would try out Trainer for RC (since everyone on here raves about it), I got only through two chapters and on my last PT my accuracy went up significantly (as in the amount of questions I got wrong was chopped in half).

Definitely plan on ditching the memory method and moving onto Trainer!

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:28 pm

dj9i27 wrote:everyone, chill lol. If you're not doing as well as you want right now you've got 4.2ish months to improve. I'm sure my tone will change 2 months out but in the interim, focus on the process.

I really needed this. I've had way too many freak out attacks in the last two weeks.

I really need to do something about that anxiety..

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:35 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:everyone, chill lol. If you're not doing as well as you want right now you've got 4.2ish months to improve. I'm sure my tone will change 2 months out but in the interim, focus on the process.

I really needed this. I've had way too many freak out attacks in the last two weeks.

I really need to do something about that anxiety..

If you have time, I'd watch this and if you have ample time I'd watch all his interviews. Gives good insight imo.

Saylor1720

New

Postby Saylor1720 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Mikey wrote:
Saylor1720 wrote:Went -6 on an untimed RC today :( I reviewed it and know where I made mistakes. I also rushed a little more than usual. Rather than pin pointing exact lines for answers. Must be my subconscious wanting to be timed!

Followed up with a -1 untimed LG. Rule substitution question stumped me.

-3 untimed LR yesterday. This needs to get to -0 a little faster. I find my wrong answers are mostly when I narrow it down to 2 choices and pick the wrong one.

Holding back on timing myself for another week or two will be hard. But probably worth it in the long run.

How long have you been studying

I'm a retaker from December. Studied 3 months for December. Didn't touch anything til last week. So just slowly getting back into things. I've done about 1/4 of the Trainer so far.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Did a PT today

LR: -0 (finished this shit with like 4 mins left, it was beyond easy)
RC: -8 (K)
LG:-0
LR: -7 (LOL)

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 pm

thinking of doing 2 PTs a week since I just realized there's about 17 or 18 weeks until around the time the June exam will be given

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Mikey wrote:thinking of doing 2 PTs a week since I just realized there's about 17 or 18 weeks until around the time the June exam will be given

167 this far out is great, I'm not sure if I could hit that right now. As for the 2 PTs a week, if it suits you go for it; I might do 1 a week or so on Saturday until 1.5 months out where it is PT, Review, Review, PT, etc.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:35 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:thinking of doing 2 PTs a week since I just realized there's about 17 or 18 weeks until around the time the June exam will be given

167 this far out is great, I'm not sure if I could hit that right now. As for the 2 PTs a week, if it suits you go for it; I might do 1 a week or so on Saturday until 1.5 months out where it is PT, Review, Review, PT, etc.

My last 3 PTs have been 166, 165, 167. Really screwed up my last LR on this test and that (instead of it being solely RC, ironically) prevented me from being in the 170's :(

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Mikey wrote:Did a PT today

Damn thats good. Well RC you need to work on, but that last LR looks like you just lost focus or something. Still phenomenal score!

usaorbust

Bronze

Postby usaorbust » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:58 pm

What is the most efficient way to to study and drill? I have read through the Manhattan books and mostly through the trainer, but I am not sure if I should do sections, take PTs, drill questions by type, or work in some other capacity. Some have suggested taking PTs, BR them- which I think I need a better explanation of how this works anyway- then drill by type the questions I miss for LR. However, I typically miss a variety of LR questions and they don't seem to be systematic misses by type. Others have said I should just be taking LR sections and RC sections to improve.

I have been thinking about drilling sections of LG by section for PTs 1-38 and probably sections of RC form 1-38. But should I do sections of LR or drill by type, and why do I do this- as in dependent or independent of full PTs?

I think I have the most trouble with RC, doing pretty well with most LG except some strange games, and I usually don't feel confident about LR sections, but then don't typically miss more than 5 or 4 per section.

Any help would be dope, thanks.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:01 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:

Damn thats good. Well RC you need to work on, but that last LR looks like you just lost focus or something. Still phenomenal score!

thanks bud! I have no idea what happened in that last LR, I just found it pretty damn tough. When I looked at 7sage, the first LR actually had a higher difficult rating than the last one, which I couldn't even believe.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

thanks bud! I have no idea what happened in that last LR, I just found it pretty damn tough. When I looked at 7sage, the first LR actually had a higher difficult rating than the last one, which I couldn't even believe.

Damn ya that stuff happens. You are in a great place considering our timeline

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Debating taking a 4 sectioner this weekend or Wednesday just to see where I'm at (inb4 180 lamo no). I would almost rather drill for another 2 weeks tho.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:03 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Debating taking a 4 sectioner this weekend or Wednesday just to see where I'm at (inb4 180 lamo no). I would almost rather drill for another 2 weeks tho.

I'd say keep drilling, but tbh just taking a 4 section PT to see where you're around wouldn't hurt! I'm doing it, and I know I'm sitting at the mid-160's.

side note: my 167 from today could've EASILY been a higher in the low or mid 170's if I had no shit the bed on LR4 that I'm reviewing and feel like a dumb ass now. got 4 of the easier ones wrong (of the -7 that it was, and I find this ridiculous but I guess I just wasn't thinking straight) and with those extra 4 points, I would've been at a 171 *upside down face emoji*

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Debating taking a 4 sectioner this weekend or Wednesday just to see where I'm at (inb4 180 lamo no). I would almost rather drill for another 2 weeks tho.

I'd say keep drilling, but tbh just taking a 4 section PT to see where you're around wouldn't hurt! I'm doing it, and I know I'm sitting at the mid-160's.

side note: my 167 from today could've EASILY been a higher in the low or mid 170's if I had no shit the bed on LR4 that I'm reviewing and feel like a dumb ass now. got 4 of the easier ones wrong (of the -7 that it was, and I find this ridiculous but I guess I just wasn't thinking straight) and with those extra 4 points, I would've been at a 171 *upside down face emoji*

i have a shipment of 41 (?)-62 coming tomorrow which is why I thought might as well pt one of them, last pt was in like November?

that's why I think you'll be hitting mid 170s by april, you're close but with drilling and review you can get to that point. if you "fail" 179 times you'll get it on the 180th.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Welp. Hi guys. I am back in dreaded LSAT Land lol

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:53 pm

brinicolec wrote:Welp. Hi guys. I am back in dreaded LSAT Land lol

whaaaaaat, why

what happened??

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Mikey wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Welp. Hi guys. I am back in dreaded LSAT Land lol

whaaaaaat, why

what happened??

I think T14s are gonna crush me this cycle. Michigan doesn't want to give me $$, Duke WL'd me, NYU dinged me, Cornell rejected me (not that I really wanted to go to Ithaca, BUT STILL!) lol. Gonna try to see if I can crack 170 in June. If so, will probably reapply next cycle.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

So here's a dumb question that's probably why I didn't crack a 170: How do you guys go about drilling? (I don't think I ever drilled outside of whatever was on whatever prep schedule I was using). I'm thinking I need to do some more drilling this time around, especially since there's a fair amt of time between now and June.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:07 pm

brinicolec wrote:So here's a dumb question that's probably why I didn't crack a 170: How do you guys go about drilling? (I don't think I ever drilled outside of whatever was on whatever prep schedule I was using). I'm thinking I need to do some more drilling this time around, especially since there's a fair amt of time between now and June.

Yea im looking for a drilling "Secret Sauce too" ...when do you do by type and when do you do sections?

Also, Im finishing the trainer then going to do MH LG and when I finish do LR, but I want to drill some LR While im going through the LG book-- Should I do by type or section etc?

Please advise

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:So here's a dumb question that's probably why I didn't crack a 170: How do you guys go about drilling? (I don't think I ever drilled outside of whatever was on whatever prep schedule I was using). I'm thinking I need to do some more drilling this time around, especially since there's a fair amt of time between now and June.

Yea im looking for a drilling "Secret Sauce too" ...when do you do by type and when do you do sections?

Also, Im finishing the trainer then going to do MH LG and when I finish do LR, but I want to drill some LR While im going through the LG book-- Should I do by type or section etc?

Please advise

Obviously, I don't have any advice, BUT let me know how the MH books are. I've already gone through the Trainer for previous tests lol.

I'm thinking I might want to drill by type until I'm getting the type correct say... 90% of the time (ideally 100%, but I'll be realistic) and then expand to sections. I am curious about how people go about drilling by type. I know Cambridge has a thing that breaks down questions by type but I was wondering if there's any [free] resources online that also do it because the Cambridge one is like $20.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:06 am

brinicolec wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:

Please advise

Obviously, I don't have any advice, BUT let me know how the MH books are. I've already gone through the Trainer for previous tests lol.

I'm thinking I might want to drill by type until I'm getting the type correct say... 90% of the time (ideally 100%, but I'll be realistic) and then expand to sections. I am curious about how people go about drilling by type. I know Cambridge has a thing that breaks down questions by type but I was wondering if there's any [free] resources online that also do it because the Cambridge one is like $20.

Will do! Im almost done w/ the trainer and going to start MH LG

greatspirit

Bronze

Postby greatspirit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:34 am

I assume this MH LG you all refer to is Manhattan?

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 am

greatspirit wrote:I assume this MH LG you all refer to is Manhattan?

Yes

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:59 am

Reviewed the 2 LRs from my PT yesterday already, no need to BR LG since I -0'd that bitch. Gonna review the RC some time today, and tomorrow I'm gonna try to hammer out another PT

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?