The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
CHyde wrote:Checking in!

Got low 170s in December, trying to get to mid/upper 170s by June.

I'm taking my first PT in a month and a half tonight. It's like coming back to a drug that hurts so good.
my pic too big
I'm really itchin for a 180 in a can
I'd kill for a 180, idk how doable it is in practice tho my mentality is all fucked. thought I'd be moved by now but because of shit I have another 10 days and I fucking hate my hometown; like I just did 15 LR and missed 8, man the longer I'm here the more I fall.
No worries, you still got this man - four and a half months is plenty. I do feel that working LSAT at home just fucks me up. I would almost suggest going to the town over -- that's what I do and it works splendid lol
I know I just wish I was still at my former glory of hitting 175s all day; I know once I move I'll have access to my uni's libraries which are 24/7. CHOOCHOO NO SOCIAL LIFE
Same, I'm looking forward getting back to school too. I find it so hard to focus at home even though I have all teh time in the world-- thats prob why

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:05 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

I'm taking my first PT in a month and a half tonight. It's like coming back to a drug that hurts so good.
my pic too big
I'm really itchin for a 180 in a can
I'd kill for a 180, idk how doable it is in practice tho my mentality is all fucked. thought I'd be moved by now but because of shit I have another 10 days and I fucking hate my hometown; like I just did 15 LR and missed 8, man the longer I'm here the more I fall.
No worries, you still got this man - four and a half months is plenty. I do feel that working LSAT at home just fucks me up. I would almost suggest going to the town over -- that's what I do and it works splendid lol
I know I just wish I was still at my former glory of hitting 175s all day; I know once I move I'll have access to my uni's libraries which are 24/7. CHOOCHOO NO SOCIAL LIFE
Same, I'm looking forward getting back to school too. I find it so hard to focus at home even though I have all teh time in the world-- thats prob why
If you guys have ever heard of the pomdoro technique, it's really been helping me keep a study schedule. I study for an hour, then take a ten minute break, then another hour, then take a 20 minute break (every 2 hrs you take a 20 minute break). During that time, no phone, no talking to anyone, TLS, nothing.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:07 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
lmao I don't get the pleasure of school, mindless drone job that looks good on future resumes apparently for me. I just don't like having to explain my every move, I've only been back here for 1.5 weeks and I wanted to leave about two weeks ago.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:12 pm

aurelian wrote:
If you guys have ever heard of the pomdoro technique, it's really been helping me keep a study schedule. I study for an hour, then take a ten minute break, then another hour, then take a 20 minute break (every 2 hrs you take a 20 minute break). During that time, no phone, no talking to anyone, TLS, nothing.
My friend is studying for the MCAT and this is basically the plan for the both of us; go to the quiet library and shut up, settle in and study for 1.5 hours, get a energy drink and go for another 1.5 before calling it around 12am before work in the morning.

I think hitting 6-10 hour days is good a few times (like 7 or 8 over a 5 month period) but consistently will burn you.

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:
My friend is studying for the MCAT and this is basically the plan for the both of us; go to the quiet library and shut up, settle in and study for 1.5 hours, get a energy drink and go for another 1.5 before calling it around 12am before work in the morning.

I think hitting 6-10 hour days is good a few times (like 7 or 8 over a 5 month period) but consistently will burn you.
Think you are right. I've been hitting 6 hour days with a full-time job (9-5) for the past 3 weeks and am hitting the early burn out. 3 hours, with a full time job though, might be the move. Are you working as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 pm

aurelian wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
aurelian wrote:

Think you are right. I've been hitting 6 hour days with a full-time job (9-5) for the past 3 weeks and am hitting the early burn out. 3 hours, with a full time job though, might be the move. Are you working as well?
Start the 1st, low energy job, SAD!

I'm going to keep it to 2-3 hours during the weekday and 4-(Some)6 on the weekend broken up of course.

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:01 am

CHyde wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Good luck!
Thanks! You too. Last take...can't waste it.
Thanks!! *Fingers crossed!!*

CHyde

Bronze

Post by CHyde » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 am

Last edited by CHyde on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:54 am

ngogirl12 wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:Purchased 7Sage and doing 2 hours a day in addition to my last semester of UG, I will finish the core curriculum before my finals (May 7th ish). Then I will begin doing PTs 2 or 3 times a week for the remaining month until the LSAT. Will these 8-12 PTs be enough or would you all advise taking the September LSAT, getting in about 45 PTs, doing 2 a week. I worry about burnout taking this path. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Be ready to shift your schedule several times (I was not ready to accept this when I read it in one of the lessons, but it is so true). Also, do not move on with the curriculum until you have completely mastered a lesson, if that includes repeating a drill or quiz until you have the idea completely down, then so be it. Lastly, it took me about 6 months to get through the curriculum when I was anticipating 1-2 months, it takes most people 2 months but the difference with me was that I was supplementing all the LR from 1-38 to each lesson, and foolproofing every game from 1-40.

I think 10-5 PT's is good if your crunched for time, whatever you end up doing make sure your UGPA is your number 1 priority! I also agree with Mikey on not burning out. Finally, I think it is so important to thoroughly review each PT you take-that takes precedence over the number of PT's you take. One thing I am doing with PT's is making sure I take 5 section PT's so when it is game day, it is just another PT and there are no surprises.
Great stuff from you and mikey! I think switching to September is making more and more sense to just make sure I have everything down and don't rush through critical lessons. My last concern is that I would like to get my applications in as early as possible. Is there a difference in applying late october vs applying right when schools start taking applications. Looking to take the largest scholarship I get from any of the earlier mentioned schools I'm looking at.
:)

I think as long as your apps are in by thanksgiving weekend, you should be fine! You might want to ask in the Spivey thread though, I remember listening to one of their recordings about when is early, when is on time, and when is late and I think that's what they said..
Here is that podcast, I hope it helps!

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/podcas ... ons-cycle/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 pm

For those doing the Trainer then the Manhattan books or Bibles -- when you finish the trainer, are you doing the LG book start to finish, then Start LR , then RC or are you going to do a few chapters out of each book continuously?

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:10 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:For those doing the Trainer then the Manhattan books or Bibles -- when you finish the trainer, are you doing the LG book start to finish, then Start LR , then RC or are you going to do a few chapters out of each book continuously?
So I went through a little of the Manhattan LR book before I discovered 7Sage. Once I discovered 7Sage, I only used the Manhattan LR as a reference when I was confused and/or having trouble with a question type. I started off studying the wrong way i.e. Taking PTs while half heartedly committing to the curriculum.

Once I committed to doing the 7Sage curriculum this is what I did:

1. Manhattan RC guide slowly (taking notes/doing drills/highlighting)
2. Completing the 7Sage curriculum slowly using Cambridge 1-38 LR as homework, and Cambridge 1-40 LG for the LG lessons
3. Used Trainer/Manhattan LR as a reference book/guide when I got confused/had trouble with a question type
4. I went through the Trainer chapters to complement the 7Sage lessons on Flaw. The Trainer Flaw lessons were incredible. I also went through all of the LR chapters in Trainer to complement the respective lesson in 7Sage. Although I usually went to Trainer when I had trouble with a question type.
5. Went to the Manhattan forums mostly when I was reviewing questions, first it was a reliance mechanism on the explanations--then I became more independent with my own reasoning and used the forums to check my explanations. Sometimes I would post my questions on 7Sage. I credit the Manhattan forum explanations for getting me to a place where I can reason confidently on my own. After reviewing questions I would put the question and explanation in a notebook separated by type and review sometimes at night but usually in the morning.

I plan on going through the Trainer RC chapters in a few weeks bc so many have credited it with their progress in RC. I've only been through 2 chapters but tried its method on my last PT, so we'll see.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:18 pm

I've been getting into the Pomodoro technique this month, and it's doing wonders. I find myself more interested in studying via another pomodoro, after doing just one.

Even if you don't stick to it, it's a great technique for getting "activation energy."

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:27 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:For those doing the Trainer then the Manhattan books or Bibles -- when you finish the trainer, are you doing the LG book start to finish, then Start LR , then RC or are you going to do a few chapters out of each book continuously?
So I went through a little of the Manhattan LR book before I discovered 7Sage. Once I discovered 7Sage, I only used the Manhattan LR as a reference when I was confused and/or having trouble with a question type. I started off studying the wrong way i.e. Taking PTs while half heartedly committing to the curriculum.

2. Completing the 7Sage curriculum slowly using Cambridge 1-38 LR as homework, and Cambridge 1-40 LG for the LG lessons
3. Used Trainer/Manhattan LR as a reference book/guide when I got confused/had trouble with a question type
4. I went through the Trainer chapters to complement the 7Sage lessons on Flaw. The Trainer Flaw lessons were incredible. I also went through all of the LR chapters in Trainer to complement the respective lesson in 7Sage. Although I usually went to Trainer when I had trouble with a question type.
5. Went to the Manhattan forums mostly when I was reviewing questions, first it was a reliance mechanism on the explanations--then I became more independent with my own reasoning and used the forums to check my explanations. Sometimes I would post my questions on 7Sage. I credit the Manhattan forum explanations for getting me to a place where I can reason confidently on my own. After reviewing questions I would put the question and explanation in a notebook separated by type and review sometimes at night but usually in the morning.

I plan on going through the Trainer RC chapters in a few weeks bc so many have credited it with their progress in RC. I've only been through 2 chapters but tried its method on my last PT, so we'll see.
Okay awesome! Thanks for the detailed insight.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:28 pm

greatspirit wrote:I've been getting into the Pomodoro technique this month, and it's doing wonders. I find myself more interested in studying via another pomodoro, after doing just one.

Even if you don't stick to it, it's a great technique for getting "activation energy."
I need to look into this and try it out

LawLivesMatter

New

Post by LawLivesMatter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:08 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
LawLivesMatter wrote:Purchased 7Sage and doing 2 hours a day in addition to my last semester of UG, I will finish the core curriculum before my finals (May 7th ish). Then I will begin doing PTs 2 or 3 times a week for the remaining month until the LSAT. Will these 8-12 PTs be enough or would you all advise taking the September LSAT, getting in about 45 PTs, doing 2 a week. I worry about burnout taking this path. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Be ready to shift your schedule several times (I was not ready to accept this when I read it in one of the lessons, but it is so true). Also, do not move on with the curriculum until you have completely mastered a lesson, if that includes repeating a drill or quiz until you have the idea completely down, then so be it. Lastly, it took me about 6 months to get through the curriculum when I was anticipating 1-2 months, it takes most people 2 months but the difference with me was that I was supplementing all the LR from 1-38 to each lesson, and foolproofing every game from 1-40.

I think 10-5 PT's is good if your crunched for time, whatever you end up doing make sure your UGPA is your number 1 priority! I also agree with Mikey on not burning out. Finally, I think it is so important to thoroughly review each PT you take-that takes precedence over the number of PT's you take. One thing I am doing with PT's is making sure I take 5 section PT's so when it is game day, it is just another PT and there are no surprises.
Great stuff from you and mikey! I think switching to September is making more and more sense to just make sure I have everything down and don't rush through critical lessons. My last concern is that I would like to get my applications in as early as possible. Is there a difference in applying late october vs applying right when schools start taking applications. Looking to take the largest scholarship I get from any of the earlier mentioned schools I'm looking at.
:)

I think as long as your apps are in by thanksgiving weekend, you should be fine! You might want to ask in the Spivey thread though, I remember listening to one of their recordings about when is early, when is on time, and when is late and I think that's what they said..
Here is that podcast, I hope it helps!

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/podcas ... ons-cycle/
Thanks!

ngogirl12

Silver

Post by ngogirl12 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:

Okay awesome! Thanks for the detailed insight.
Yeah, no problem! Good luck!!

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:35 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
greatspirit wrote:I've been getting into the Pomodoro technique this month, and it's doing wonders. I find myself more interested in studying via another pomodoro, after doing just one.

I need to look into this and try it out
I really can't emphasize how much this one technique has changed my life. I compliment it with tracking all of the time I spend on something a day with A Tracker Pro, and I find myself almost never wasting time in a day (except on TLS), and when I do - I also track it, which makes me just not want to spend time because I hate to see that I didn't do work in the tracker.

I do it in all approaches of my life, whether that is reading, listening to a podcast, doing French practice, playing the piano - it makes sure you are staying focused on that one task. I also do 1 hr increments with 10 minute breaks instead of the 25 minute with 5 minute breaks. It is literally life-changing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DreamerBulk

New

Post by DreamerBulk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Today is the day guys. I'm starting the LSAT trainer on the 16-week schedule. Will probably cut it short though since the last couple weeks are just practice tests.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:18 pm

I haven't been prepping for about 4 days because I've had a lot on my mind. Gonna start again on Saturday

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Just finished the trainer. That thing was a beast. Still feel awful at LG and getting around to averaging -2 or -3 average on both LR and RC. Onwards.

aurelian

New

Post by aurelian » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:05 pm

DreamerBulk wrote:Today is the day guys. I'm starting the LSAT trainer on the 16-week schedule. Will probably cut it short though since the last couple weeks are just practice tests.
You got this man! I would really try to finish the Trainer very quickly -- I just finished it and I feel no where near fame day ready.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:43 pm

quick vent time:

Jesus fucking christ I hate this goddamn town, everything sucks and I can't wait the extra 10 days to move again. I think the water here is frying my goddamn brain.

Going to power through 2 or 3 more trainer chapters then drink a bunch of Miller because reasons.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm

dj9i27 wrote:quick vent time:

Jesus fucking christ I hate this goddamn town, everything sucks and I can't wait the extra 10 days to move again. I think the water here is frying my goddamn brain.

Going to power through 2 or 3 more trainer chapters then drink a bunch of Miller because reasons.
Power through it brotha! Are you talking about Gville?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:14 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:quick vent time:

Power through it brotha! Are you talking about Gville?
I'll be moving to Gville, but I'm in my small shitty hometown because the complex I'm moving into fucked my paperwork up ugh, glad they haven't seen any money from me yet.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Just finished the rules drills in the second chapter of the LG Bible (yeah I know I have a long way to go but the vast majority of my improvement must come from LG so I'm taking it slow and making sure I understand everything). Honestly, I've dealt with sufficent and necessary conditions before in philosophy/logic classes and such but it feels like I'm learning it for the first time. I'm wondering if it's just because of the new application or if they're really teaching it differently than I've experienced previously.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”