The Official June 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

180pedia

New

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Post by 180pedia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

dm1683 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:WTF, Harvard. Not really sure how to feel about this... the GRE is so easy and the LSAT is, well, not. I am also relying on a stellar LSAT due to a low GPA so... /m\
Yeah heard about this. I have a 4.0 and decent softs so part of me (the irrational part) wants to just say f the LSAT, take the GRE and roll the dice on H.
TBH - I wouldn't if you are set on law school, especially within a given time frame. Then again, I'm also of the mindset that significant money to a T10 school > HLS for many (those with generic big law aspirations). Furthermore, we have no idea what the admissions rates for GPA+GRE will be for HLS, but this risk is significantly lower if you don't mind missing a cycle. I'd suspect you will need a near perfect, if not perfect, GRE for HLS. Ultimately, this is a way to boost medians without reducing class size, but we will see.

Anywho, I am currently working on some basic free material for the website (yall can definitely still use it as a directory for all 7Sage, LSAT Hacks, ManhattanPrep, PowerScore, and Velocity LSAT explanations in one place) and am working on recurring inferences. I am starting somewhat basic and working my way up, but the goal is to do fake but super truncated games that force the one inference. If you come across one (no matter how simple), please PM me! I can then write up an entry like I have for the first two I just finished (the HTML has been kind of a learning curve) https://180pedia.com/logic-games-recurring-inferences/

I'm also free to answer any questions you may have about prep, and I can do my best to help!

hcss11

New

Post by hcss11 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Mikey wrote:
hcss11 wrote:I'm on Manhattan LSAT LR Chapter 2 and I keep overthinking that chapter's drills. So far I'm in 2 right and 4 wrong. The chapter tells you to do 1 argument core identification question at a time and to check your answer after each one. Honestly, even by question 7, I'm exhausted.

What's a better way to simplify my thinking and simplify my studying for this?
I never used manhattans books so I can't advise on that, but as to you being exhausted.. It just takes time to develop the "anti-fatigue" mindset I guess, don't really know what to call it. Start off slow right now, and then when you also start drilling by question type, do a certain amount of questions until you feel like you're tired and then stop. Do this a few times and then eventually just force yourself to pay attention even if you're fatigued while increasing the amount of questions you do.

For example, with just a 4 section PT I used to get tired around the middle of the 3rd section. What I started doing was doing a 4 section PT with no break, just the sections back to back. What I do NOW is do 5 section PT, I do the 3 sections and then take no more than a 2 min break (quick bathroom and water break) and then jump back into it. soon I'm hoping to do 6 section PTs, which will eventually make test day feel like a joke.

My point in this example is just that you will get the hang of it eventually, but you need to gradually get yourself there. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!
Thanks for the advice! What are some thought frameworks you use to understand why a question you answered was wrong, and to identify wrong answers?

thewhalefish

New

Post by thewhalefish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Platopus wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:WTF, Harvard. Not really sure how to feel about this... the GRE is so easy and the LSAT is, well, not. I am also relying on a stellar LSAT due to a low GPA so... /m\
Yeah heard about this. I have a 4.0 and decent softs so part of me (the irrational part) wants to just say f the LSAT, take the GRE and roll the dice on H.
Yes, but that would imply only having 1 option, which is to pay sticker for Harvard. Nailing the LSAT opens up $$$. This is what I'm telling myself. Harvard accepting the GRE is certainly interesting, but it won't diminish the value of a 175+ on the LSAT.
Unfortunately, this isn't true for Harvard. They only give out need-based scholarships.
Meant to imply that taking the LSAT opens up money at the rest of the T-13. Lol did not mean to imply that I thought: 1. H offers merit scholarships and 2. Somehow these merit scholarships would not be available to GRE students.
Lol, duh of course. My bad. I think I just read it super fast and didn't think twice.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:48 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
Platopus wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Yes, but that would imply only having 1 option, which is to pay sticker for Harvard. Nailing the LSAT opens up $$$. This is what I'm telling myself. Harvard accepting the GRE is certainly interesting, but it won't diminish the value of a 175+ on the LSAT.
Unfortunately, this isn't true for Harvard. They only give out need-based scholarships.
Meant to imply that taking the LSAT opens up money at the rest of the T-13. Lol did not mean to imply that I thought: 1. H offers merit scholarships and 2. Somehow these merit scholarships would not be available to GRE students.
Lol, duh of course. My bad. I think I just read it super fast and didn't think twice.
Haha guys i was being tongue in cheek there I'm not actually thinking of doing that. But it's nice to see that I've sparked a bit of a mini-debate LOL.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:33 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Haha guys i was being tongue in cheek there I'm not actually thinking of doing that. But it's nice to see that I've sparked a bit of a mini-debate LOL.
I figured as much lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 am

we are 3 months out now folks, time to kick it into high gear if you haven't already.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 am

dj9i27 wrote:we are 3 months out now folks, time to kick it into high gear if you haven't already.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:08 am

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:we are 3 months out now folks, time to kick it into high gear if you haven't already.
All that beer won't make you deadlift heavy.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:12 am

dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Squats>Deadlift

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 am

PrezRand wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Squats>Deadlift
true, but deadlift is my strongest lift. squats are 2nd followed by bench press. I wish bench was better but, too tall and arms too long.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 am

Counted the weeks and if I do 1 pt a week, I won't have time to do the 30 more I plan on doing. Even with 2 a week I don't think I'll get through them. Might push to September but if I do, that will be it, no more pushing back. I just want enough time to finish all the PTs I wanna do, idk if that's possible w June.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 am

Mikey wrote:
Counted the weeks and if I do 1 pt a week, I won't have time to do the 30 more I plan on doing. Even with 2 a week I don't think I'll get through them. Might push to September but if I do, that will be it, no more pushing back. I just want enough time to finish all the PTs I wanna do, idk if that's possible w June.
I've thought about postponing as well, but I want to get this done ASAP. I'll take a pt today and see where I stand

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:25 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
I've thought about postponing as well, but I want to get this done ASAP. I'll take a pt today and see where I stand
I'm doing my first PT tomorrow. My plan is to average about 2 a week to get through 25. If I'm not averaging 173+ by the end, I'll most likely be postponing as well. I need a 168 bare minimum, and this is my retake. I don't want to postpone, because my work schedule is going to pick up again in the summer. So my window to do as well as possible is pretty much now, time to put my head down and work this test for the next 3 months here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:11 pm

PT'ed practice test 52 today. -5 LR1 / -2 LG / -2 LR2 /-0 RC. 172 scaled score. Pretty disappointed with the -5 on LR1 and -2 on LG. LG should've been -0, I had extra time, but didn't utilize it correctly. For some reason staying focused on LR1 was really hard too, missed 4 out of the first 15 :oops: . So maybe I need to be doing a little warm up or something. Excited about that -0 RC, hopefully I can keep that consistently below -2.

Time for some heavy LR drilling in the weeks to come.

Sundownerz

New

Post by Sundownerz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 pm

So, how exactly are people studying? I got a 167 on my diagnostic last week. I scored a 170 on my first PT today. I'm reading the powerscore bibles. They made me look at the LR section differently, and I think I reduced my misses on it because of that, but setting up LG is going slower and I only missed one less. I bought 20 test and the 3 bibles, but it looks like I'd be better off if I had something like 40 tests in my arsenal and started running through those every chance I get instead of reading slowly through these books. This is my spring break, so I think I can get through most of the reading this week then just turn to burning through tests up until june. Thoughts?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Sundownerz wrote:So, how exactly are people studying? I got a 167 on my diagnostic last week. I scored a 170 on my first PT today. I'm reading the powerscore bibles. They made me look at the LR section differently, and I think I reduced my misses on it because of that, but setting up LG is going slower and I only missed one less. I bought 20 test and the 3 bibles, but it looks like I'd be better off if I had something like 40 tests in my arsenal and started running through those every chance I get instead of reading slowly through these books. This is my spring break, so I think I can get through most of the reading this week then just turn to burning through tests up until june. Thoughts?
You're already at an incredibly high level, but yes, you should be getting your hands on theoretically every test you can. But realistically, the latest 40 will probably do the trick. Honestly though, having more to drill with wouldn't hurt, if you can afford the cash.

I think you have the right idea. Get through the as much material in the books as you can, if you just scored a 170, it really unlikely to be anything eye-opening. I currently have tests 1-40 photocopied 2X and broken up by section to drill. I've been taking 1 LR section a day, and usually either a full LG section with 1 or 2 RC passages, or vice versa. I review errors on LG and RC on the same day. I do this because RC and LG are the sections where the questions feed off each other. Hypotheticals or Complete and Accurate lists can help answer Must be True questions for LG, and Main Point/Main Idea questions give you a reference point to gauge the viewpoint of the author for later questions in RC, basically all your answers for RC and LG need to mesh. Personally, I find it more useful to review my errors while the passage/set up is still fresh, I have a good idea of what I was thinking before each question.

For LR, I usually glance at the questions I get wrong, but save them for the next day. I review them first as part of my warm-up, and while I drink my coffee after work. I've been cross checking these and any dicey questions against the explanation on Manhattan's free forum. This has been really, really helpful. Some people swear by typing up explanations for each question you miss, including why the correct answer is correct and why your answer is wrong. Personally, I find this a bit too time consuming, since I work full time and just don't have the energy after 10hr days. I will usually take the time to diagram all the conditional relationships, and write a brief note next to each question, though. I do this not to reference later, but to help cement the reasoning. My biggest piece of advice though, since this is something I have been struggling with, is to stop trying to justify an incorrect answer. It's so easy to do because you really want to think you were right, but you weren't. Don't fall into this trap like I have.

Full disclosure: I have yet to actually sit for the LSAT, so take this all with a grain of salt, if you wish.

gaandrsn

New

Post by gaandrsn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Platopus wrote:PT'ed practice test 52 today. -5 LR1 / -2 LG / -2 LR2 /-0 RC. 172 scaled score. Pretty disappointed with the -5 on LR1 and -2 on LG. LG should've been -0, I had extra time, but didn't utilize it correctly. For some reason staying focused on LR1 was really hard too, missed 4 out of the first 15 :oops: . So maybe I need to be doing a little warm up or something. Excited about that -0 RC, hopefully I can keep that consistently below -2.

Great score! Was there any commonality to the types of questions that tripped you up or something you were overlooking?

I also find I need a warm-up particularly if the first section is LR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gaandrsn

New

Post by gaandrsn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
I'm starting to feel similar. June seemed so far away a couple of months ago...

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 pm

gaandrsn wrote:
Platopus wrote:PT'ed practice test 52 today. -5 LR1 / -2 LG / -2 LR2 /-0 RC. 172 scaled score. Pretty disappointed with the -5 on LR1 and -2 on LG. LG should've been -0, I had extra time, but didn't utilize it correctly. For some reason staying focused on LR1 was really hard too, missed 4 out of the first 15 :oops: . So maybe I need to be doing a little warm up or something. Excited about that -0 RC, hopefully I can keep that consistently below -2.

Great score! Was there any commonality to the types of questions that tripped you up or something you were overlooking?

I also find I need a warm-up particularly if the first section is LR.
Thanks! And not really, I was just a bit foggy on the first section. Usually I am able to focus in 100%, but I found myself having to reread stim's quite a bit on that first section. I had a couple of questions tentatively marked correct, but changed them for some reason. I think I'm maybe just talking myself out of right answers earlier in the test because of anxiety or something. I'm going to try a quick warm up before my next PT and see if that helps.
gaandrsn wrote:
June is still pretty far away, in my part of the world there 4 inches of snow on the ground... I'm usually less anxious when I remind myself that I've only been studying for 2 months, but still have 3 to go. Since these last 2 months have felt like an eternity, 3 months feels like eternity X1.5

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Mikey wrote:
Imma do 5 a week

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

gaandrsn wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
work has been consuming more time than I would like it to. I started in Feb and asked my superior to see if the erratic hours were normal and she said no. idk I don't see any downsides go postponing but still want to get my ducks in a row.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gaandrsn

New

Post by gaandrsn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Platopus wrote:
June is still pretty far away, in my part of the world there 4 inches of snow on the ground... I'm usually less anxious when I remind myself that I've only been studying for 2 months, but still have 3 to go. Since these last 2 months have felt like an eternity, 3 months feels like eternity X1.5
Good perspective.

This being my first year in CA from the Midwest, maybe it was the 90 degree weather today that made it feel like June is closer than it is. Hopefully...

gaandrsn

New

Post by gaandrsn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:38 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
work has been consuming more time than I would like it to. I started in Feb and asked my superior to see if the erratic hours were normal and she said no. idk I don't see any downsides go postponing but still want to get my ducks in a row.
How many hours are you getting in? I've been able to average 10- not sure if this is going to get me where I want to be by June, but feel like it is a doable pace through September.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 pm

gaandrsn wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
gaandrsn wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
How many hours are you getting in? I've been able to average 10- not sure if this is going to get me where I want to be by June, but feel like it is a doable pace through September.
every week before last week was 20, mostly untimed drilling. last week was hell. I was supposed to do a pt Sunday but someone screwed up so I ended up spending my Sunday at work and unable to pt efficiently. you're at a high level now right? you may be okay for June, I just need to be 100% confident I can pull a 177.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:52 am

dj9i27 wrote:every week before last week was 20, mostly untimed drilling. last week was hell. I was supposed to do a pt Sunday but someone screwed up so I ended up spending my Sunday at work and unable to pt efficiently. you're at a high level now right? you may be okay for June, I just need to be 100% confident I can pull a 177.
I need to be confident that I can get a score that gets me a full ride to Cooley :/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”