The Official June 2017 Study Group

DOLPHINS, ARE YOU READY TO CRUSH THIS TEST?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:54 pm

FU%# YES!!!
28%
F#$k YES!!!
15%
FEAR MY BOTTLE SHAPED NOSE!!!
56%

Total votes: 39

Mikey

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:26 pm

mmorrell94 wrote:Took my first PT in 2.5 years (65) and got 171, which is exactly my target score for the real thing. Went -5 in LG, too, so I think I have some room for improvement.

I'm very happy :D

nice! 171 with -5 LG is actually great. work on games and you'll be scoring higher in no time!

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:28 pm

mmorrell94 wrote:Took my first PT in 2.5 years (65) and got 171, which is exactly my target score for the real thing. Went -5 in LG, too, so I think I have some room for improvement.

I'm very happy :D

You definitely have room for improvement, that's fantastic. A 171 with -5 in LG is 176+ territory if you can clean it up. How long have you been studying?

Also, aim for 180, seriously. If you hit a 171 with -5 in LG then you're setting your sights too low.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Saylor1720 wrote:Thank you! I wrote notes after the test on general observations. I remember what happened now (long day). I wrote a rule wrong onto the diagram in game 4, and I didn't realize until question #3 of the game, by then I was running low on time to fix my mess, that was -3. The other wrong answer was a misread. So yeah, just stupid mistakes! I'll review and keep the study going, hopefully PT again on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Yeah, that certainly seems fixable. Sounds more like a timing issue as opposed to a reasoning error. Finding out you mis-diagrammed a rule on question 3 is sooooo frustrating because you pretty much are forced to redo the first two questions.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:58 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Yeah, consider this a good thing. More time to go at a more casual pace. It's not like you have to completely shut down on the studying either - a couple sections a week is hopefully still doable. 177 come September, GUARANTEED.

haha thanks, inb4 TTT score and homelessness. I'm going to get my shit together next week, a bit of a bummer but my MCAT friend is going through 100% the same thing and we are on the same schedule once he graduates so I've got a study buddy in a way.

Meanwhile, you're pulling 179s lol.

Im taking in September as well... So much going on right now haha. June Ill have much more freetime all summer till Sept so thatll help a ton.

Me three. I'm just not ready for June, I need more time to get where I want to be.

Yeah my biggest problem with last sept was rushing. I got good enough to score 170+ but didn't have the time to have the unrelenting confidence nor consistency. I studied 4 Months while working on average 75 hrs a week and then the last month school started. So going to take it easy still keep at studying as much as I can get in every day and weekend, but summer the grind will really start. I want to be PTing and drilling my Ass off by the June test, not doing elementary prep stuff like reading the books etc. Im working on MH series now ;)

This is gon sound really stupid, but I think I'm going to refresh all three (PS, MH, and Trainer). Next week, I'll skim through the traniner and then use PS or MH until may-june and june-september use the other. idk, im a mess.

I was thinking of sticking to my plan of finishing Trainer (Done) and the MH Series by june, and then since I have all summer full time of PT and drilling i might not only reference back to MH/Trainer but maybe look at the Bibles again for some other perspectives hmm. Gotta focus on getting MH done first and then i can worry about that later!!! We will see...and decide together I guess when we get to the cross-roads...For now-- Live Laugh Love LSAT Get Shredded

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:Yeah, consider this a good thing. More time to go at a more casual pace. It's not like you have to completely shut down on the studying either - a couple sections a week is hopefully still doable. 177 come September, GUARANTEED.

haha thanks, inb4 TTT score and homelessness. I'm going to get my shit together next week, a bit of a bummer but my MCAT friend is going through 100% the same thing and we are on the same schedule once he graduates so I've got a study buddy in a way.

Im taking in September as well... So much going on right now haha. June Ill have much more freetime all summer till Sept so thatll help a ton.

Me three. I'm just not ready for June, I need more time to get where I want to be.

Yeah my biggest problem with last sept was rushing. I got good enough to score 170+ but didn't have the time to have the unrelenting confidence nor consistency. I studied 4 Months while working on average 75 hrs a week and then the last month school started. So going to take it easy still keep at studying as much as I can get in every day and weekend, but summer the grind will really start. I want to be PTing and drilling my Ass off by the June test, not doing elementary prep stuff like reading the books etc. Im working on MH series now ;)

This is gon sound really stupid, but I think I'm going to refresh all three (PS, MH, and Trainer). Next week, I'll skim through the traniner and then use PS or MH until may-june and june-september use the other. idk, im a mess.

I was thinking of sticking to my plan of finishing Trainer (Done) and the MH Series by june, and then since I have all summer full time of PT and drilling i might not only reference back to MH/Trainer but maybe look at the Bibles again for some other perspectives hmm. Gotta focus on getting MH done first and then i can worry about that later!!! We will see...and decide together I guess when we get to the cross-roads...For now-- Live Laugh Love LSAT Get Shredded

To be strong or aesthetic? the question that scholars have pondered for centuries.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:47 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:haha thanks, inb4 TTT score and homelessness. I'm going to get my shit together next week, a bit of a bummer but my MCAT friend is going through 100% the same thing and we are on the same schedule once he graduates so I've got a study buddy in a way.

To be strong or aesthetic? the question that scholars have pondered for centuries.

Aesthetic first, then strong

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:56 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:Aesthetic first, then strong

But then I become small

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:59 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

But then I become small

touche. You can shred slowly and maintain most of size. I think around 8% BF on most ppl is a good BIG & LEAN balance

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:59 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

But then I become small

touche. You can shred slowly and maintain most of size. I think around 8% BF on most ppl is a good BIG & LEAN balance

8%?!!? I'm like 17% right now because fat and lazy; I've turned into a faux powerlifter.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

But then I become small

8%?!!? I'm like 17% right now because fat and lazy; I've turned into a faux powerlifter.

Hahaha lmao! "Faux Powerlifter"

dm1683

Postby dm1683 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

IDK if I should start taking PTs now or finish the second LG by type trainer. I think I'll do both, try to finish the LG by type and also take a PT each week until mid April, when I'll start taking 2-3 per week.

Also, f that damn snakes and lizards game. Seriously, that shit was evil.

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Oh wow! That sounds like quite a hectic schedule! My problem was I took forever getting through the 7Sage curriculum and drilling, when I finally finished I just rushed through a bunch of PT's when I was not ready. Now, I'm redoing the curriculum and trying to reinforce all the concepts/foundations. Like you, I plan on using the summer a good few months for PT's and review. Slow and steady wins the race!

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

My plan is 7Sage for everything, Trainer for Flaws/NA and RC, and self for drilling and explanations and cross refer with the experts. Last time I drilled, I used the experts as a crutch--this time I'm trying to explain it to myself. This better work!!

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm

ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
ngogirl12 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

Oh wow! That sounds like quite a hectic schedule! My problem was I took forever getting through the 7Sage curriculum and drilling, when I finally finished I just rushed through a bunch of PT's when I was not ready. Now, I'm redoing the curriculum and trying to reinforce all the concepts/foundations. Like you, I plan on using the summer a good few months for PT's and review. Slow and steady wins the race!

Exactly! Can't rush this

ngogirl12

Postby ngogirl12 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 pm

dm1683 wrote:IDK if I should start taking PTs now or finish the second LG by type trainer. I think I'll do both, try to finish the LG by type and also take a PT each week until mid April, when I'll start taking 2-3 per week.

Also, f that damn snakes and lizards game. Seriously, that shit was evil.

I personally would finish foolproofing the games first and then move to PT's. But, that's just me.

Good luck with your decision!!

saf18hornet

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:You guys ever do 4 timed sections of a pt separately (not all in one sitting) and just peek to see what your score would've been? I know it's kinda cheating but in that case I got a 171 on my last pt lol. Gotta have a confidence booster every now and then, that's my justification.

I almost exclusively do this. I only have time for 1 hr of studying a day. So I do 1 section a night + blind review. I have found that my sum of 4 sections is always exact or within 1 point of a full (4-section) test taken in the same week. This has been the case for me every month, (I only take full tests once a month).

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 am

Officially decided to postpone to September. Can't complete as many PTs as I wanted to and drill some other things in the June time frame.

Not withdrawing yet until September registration opens up so I can just pay that 90 bucks instead of almost 200 again. :lol:

njames1961

Postby njames1961 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 am

Ever since I've started studying, RC has been my best section (never more than -3). But now that I've studied LR/LG with 7sage and done multiple practice tests it seems that the opposite is becoming true. -6 RC (168) then -5 RC (169) on my last two disastrous PTs.... Peaked with a 172 on PT 54 a few weeks ago (with -1 RC)

Has anyone else had something similar happen?

When I do RC by itself I do fine, but then when it appears as the fourth section on a PT and I just fuck up for some reason. And I really don't wanna postpone til Sept.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

njames1961 wrote:Ever since I've started studying, RC has been my best section (never more than -3). But now that I've studied LR/LG with 7sage and done multiple practice tests it seems that the opposite is becoming true. -6 RC (168) then -5 RC (169) on my last two disastrous PTs.... Peaked with a 172 on PT 54 a few weeks ago (with -1 RC)

When I do RC by itself I do fine, but then when it appears as the fourth section on a PT and I just fuck up for some reason. And I really don't wanna postpone til Sept.

maybe it's just that when you do PTs, your RC slacks a bit due to fatigue from the other sections?

njames1961

Postby njames1961 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Mikey wrote:
njames1961 wrote:Ever since I've started studying, RC has been my best section (never more than -3). But now that I've studied LR/LG with 7sage and done multiple practice tests it seems that the opposite is becoming true. -6 RC (168) then -5 RC (169) on my last two disastrous PTs.... Peaked with a 172 on PT 54 a few weeks ago (with -1 RC)

maybe it's just that when you do PTs, your RC slacks a bit due to fatigue from the other sections?

Yeah you may be right. I know that I expend most of my mental energy on all the LR, so then when I make it to RC I can't keep steady concentration on the passages.

Walliums

Postby Walliums » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Took PT 69 on Sunday. My best PT but it doesn't feel that good.

168 timed/173 BR

LR1 -3
LG -3
RC -5
LR2 -3

Am still not going through LG with easy - still trouble with timing. Anyone doing an intensive on LG or have done one that they would want to share? Feel like I need to do tons of games but just at a loss of where to start (or if I should do tons of LG sections?).

mwells56

Postby mwells56 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:35 pm

If anybody is in the same boat as I am and trying to change test centers to be in New York, spots are open at the Marriott in downtown Manhattan. Just registered.

njames1961

Postby njames1961 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

mwells56 wrote:If anybody is in the same boat as I am and trying to change test centers to be in New York, spots are open at the Marriott in downtown Manhattan. Just registered.

No way I have to check that out - I'm registered to some community college in NJ as of now. Would be 1.5 hours away for me.

njames1961

Postby njames1961 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

mwells56 wrote:If anybody is in the same boat as I am and trying to change test centers to be in New York, spots are open at the Marriott in downtown Manhattan. Just registered.

Just changed mine to the MArriott too. Mwells56 you're a lifesaver.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Walliums wrote:Took PT 69 on Sunday. My best PT but it doesn't feel that good.

168 timed/173 BR

LR1 -3
LG -3
RC -5
LR2 -3

Am still not going through LG with easy - still trouble with timing. Anyone doing an intensive on LG or have done one that they would want to share? Feel like I need to do tons of games but just at a loss of where to start (or if I should do tons of LG sections?).

If you're unhappy with a 168, then you have the right mindset. There's still plenty of time to improve :D For LG, do you usually try to solve for a couple of possibilities up front, like 7 sage tends to do? Spending a little more time on set up may help with timing if you can speed through the questions quicker, it helped me a little with timing. Still, drilling full sections seems like the solution to getting quicker.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”