The Official June 2017 Study Group

What living thing are you willing to sacrifice for a 180?

Poll runs till Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 pm

A goat
9%
A chicken
5%
I'm vegan, but I'll bring my cactus
9%
Two goats
77%

Total votes: 22

Platopus

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Platopus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:21 am

somebodyelse wrote:Getting in on this group - finished up an internship and am not starting class up again until summer so may these next 3 months be nice and LSAT filled. 158 diagnostic, aiming for > 170.

170 definitely seems reasonably, especially if you have time off. Hit the books hard, and good luck. You may have to drilled at a quickened pace to have time for full-PT's, but a 158 is a strong diagnostic. With effort, a 170+ should be reasonable.

Which schools are you looking at?

dj9i27 wrote:Very weird, my stats have somewhat shifted from September.
Best: LR this really surprises me
2nd Best but inconsistent: LG this makes me sad.
Inconsistent af: RC

Sounds like the LR work is paying off, perhaps at the expense of LG and RC? Maybe time to start focusing more on them. I feel like games will pick back up if you stay consistent with the drilling.

gaandrsn

Postby gaandrsn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:32 am

Legit question. Why is Iowa top 20?

URMSenator52

Postby URMSenator52 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:48 am

gaandrsn wrote:Legit question. Why is Iowa top 20?

LMAO second with Alabama being top 26-30? Besides of course Jeff Sessions being Attorney General.. Iowa is the only law school pretty much within the state..

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:15 am

Good employment numbers and high bar passage rate.

PrezRand wrote:

Good employment numbers and high bar passage rate.

What school ranked below Alabama has better numbers, bar passage rate, and higher LSATs?

blackmamba8

Postby blackmamba8 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:04 am

Fuck midterms I feel like a zombie right now. I can't imagine doing big law and functioning off this little sleep all the time.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:26 am

Platopus wrote:

Sounds like the LR work is paying off, perhaps at the expense of LG and RC? Maybe time to start focusing more on them. I feel like games will pick back up if you stay consistent with the drilling.

You could be right, it'll show if I can squeeze a PT in sunday (work is seriously stupid while studying). I tend to do LR in the morning and RC&LG in the evening so maybe that plays into it.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

You could be right, it'll show if I can squeeze a PT in sunday (work is seriously stupid while studying). I tend to do LR in the morning and RC&LG in the evening so maybe that plays into it.

yo dj what did you get on your GRE

Scurvy Cur

Postby Scurvy Cur » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Hell, looks like it's about time to poke my head in here. I had really hoped not to, but June 2017 is looking like a potential way to deal with the staggering heap of WLs I've gotten, and I'm probably going to need a place to shitpost like a spazz/engage in serious discussion about the test prep process.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:02 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

I've had this happen to me in my prep. It's important to have a balanced diet.

somebodyelse

Postby somebodyelse » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Platopus wrote:
somebodyelse wrote:Getting in on this group - finished up an internship and am not starting class up again until summer so may these next 3 months be nice and LSAT filled. 158 diagnostic, aiming for > 170.

170 definitely seems reasonably, especially if you have time off. Hit the books hard, and good luck. You may have to drilled at a quickened pace to have time for full-PT's, but a 158 is a strong diagnostic. With effort, a 170+ should be reasonable.

Which schools are you looking at?

Yep! I'm going at it full time, so hopefully will make some nice improvements. I'll have a decent chunk of time before the September exam as well, if it comes to that. Obviously trying to kill it the first time around though.

My plan is to apply to basically everything T13. Will apply to HYS if I pull off a 172+.

tmwnn

Postby tmwnn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Apparently LSAT is no longer necessary for applying to HLS, since, starting in the fall of 2017, it will allow applicants to submit either the GRE or the LSAT :shock:

https://today.law.harvard.edu/gre/

Imagine the other law schools follow the lead as they did numerous times before.
Last edited by tmwnn on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Postby MediocreAtBest » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Been unemployed for a little bit. Got offered a job, 30 minute commute with a pretty terrible pay, no long-term guarantee. I just don't know whether to accept or not, really want to end this employment gap and put some money back in my pockets, but i don't know if this job is worth it. Plus the effect it'll have on studying since it's full-time (and that 30 minute commute doubles during rush hour). Tough call.

njames1961

Postby njames1961 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Been unemployed for a little bit. Got offered a job, 30 minute commute with a pretty terrible pay, no long-term guarantee. I just don't know whether to accept or not, really want to end this employment gap and put some money back in my pockets, but i don't know if this job is worth it. Plus the effect it'll have on studying since it's full-time (and that 30 minute commute doubles during rush hour). Tough call.

^lmao only because I can't even imagine studying full time with no job. It should be 175+ or bust at that point.

But seriously, studying while working full time sucks but is doable. If you need the money then do it.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Been unemployed for a little bit. Got offered a job, 30 minute commute with a pretty terrible pay, no long-term guarantee. I just don't know whether to accept or not, really want to end this employment gap and put some money back in my pockets, but i don't know if this job is worth it. Plus the effect it'll have on studying since it's full-time (and that 30 minute commute doubles during rush hour). Tough call.

Are there any study places nearby? You could study and wait out traffic after work.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:53 pm

shit, I wish my commute was an hour with accounting for rush hour

take it and make some moneyyyy yo

thewhalefish

Postby thewhalefish » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 pm

WTF, Harvard. Not really sure how to feel about this... the GRE is so easy and the LSAT is, well, not. I am also relying on a stellar LSAT due to a low GPA so... /m\

dm1683

Postby dm1683 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Whew...midterms done. Spring break, thank God. Needed to ace these because I won't be able to put all my effort into finals since they're a month away from the test, and I think I did. Haven't done LSAT for five days (last day was Saturday). Might do a few sections tomorrow but probably will end up just lying around and recuperating, as it were. Back to the grind Saturday fosho.

Mikey wrote:

shit, I wish my commute was an hour with accounting for rush hour

take it and make some moneyyyy yo

unless it's by car and you can't study...

dm1683

Postby dm1683 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:32 pm

thewhalefish wrote:WTF, Harvard. Not really sure how to feel about this... the GRE is so easy and the LSAT is, well, not. I am also relying on a stellar LSAT due to a low GPA so... /m\

Yeah heard about this. I have a 4.0 and decent softs so part of me (the irrational part) wants to just say f the LSAT, take the GRE and roll the dice on H.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:02 pm

dm1683 wrote:
thewhalefish wrote:WTF, Harvard. Not really sure how to feel about this... the GRE is so easy and the LSAT is, well, not. I am also relying on a stellar LSAT due to a low GPA so... /m\

Yeah heard about this. I have a 4.0 and decent softs so part of me (the irrational part) wants to just say f the LSAT, take the GRE and roll the dice on H.

Yes, but that would imply only having 1 option, which is to pay sticker for Harvard. Nailing the LSAT opens up $$$. This is what I'm telling myself. Harvard accepting the GRE is certainly interesting, but it won't diminish the value of a 175+ on the LSAT.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm assuming this means that you're out of school, which means there's absolutely no reason you HAVE to take the June test. Take the job, keep studying, and if you feel you aren't ready, push it back to September.

hcss11

Postby hcss11 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm on Manhattan LSAT LR Chapter 2 and I keep overthinking that chapter's drills. So far I'm in 2 right and 4 wrong. The chapter tells you to do 1 argument core identification question at a time and to check your answer after each one. Honestly, even by question 7, I'm exhausted.

What's a better way to simplify my thinking and simplify my studying for this?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 am

hcss11 wrote:I'm on Manhattan LSAT LR Chapter 2 and I keep overthinking that chapter's drills. So far I'm in 2 right and 4 wrong. The chapter tells you to do 1 argument core identification question at a time and to check your answer after each one. Honestly, even by question 7, I'm exhausted.

What's a better way to simplify my thinking and simplify my studying for this?

I never used manhattans books so I can't advise on that, but as to you being exhausted.. It just takes time to develop the "anti-fatigue" mindset I guess, don't really know what to call it. Start off slow right now, and then when you also start drilling by question type, do a certain amount of questions until you feel like you're tired and then stop. Do this a few times and then eventually just force yourself to pay attention even if you're fatigued while increasing the amount of questions you do.

For example, with just a 4 section PT I used to get tired around the middle of the 3rd section. What I started doing was doing a 4 section PT with no break, just the sections back to back. What I do NOW is do 5 section PT, I do the 3 sections and then take no more than a 2 min break (quick bathroom and water break) and then jump back into it. soon I'm hoping to do 6 section PTs, which will eventually make test day feel like a joke.

My point in this example is just that you will get the hang of it eventually, but you need to gradually get yourself there. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

thewhalefish

Postby thewhalefish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

Yes, but that would imply only having 1 option, which is to pay sticker for Harvard. Nailing the LSAT opens up $$$. This is what I'm telling myself. Harvard accepting the GRE is certainly interesting, but it won't diminish the value of a 175+ on the LSAT.

Unfortunately, this isn't true for Harvard. They only give out need-based scholarships.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:27 pm

thewhalefish wrote:
Platopus wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

Unfortunately, this isn't true for Harvard. They only give out need-based scholarships.

Meant to imply that taking the LSAT opens up money at the rest of the T-13. Lol did not mean to imply that I thought: 1. H offers merit scholarships and 2. Somehow these merit scholarships would not be available to GRE students.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Unless eric cartmenez can teach me calculus I'm better off with the lolsat tbh

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”