The Official June 2017 Study Group

gaandrsn

The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby gaandrsn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi all, I didn’t see a June thread yet, so I thought I’d start one. My apologies in advance for the length of this post.

I came across this forum back in 2011 when I first sat for the LSAT and have spent many many hours lurking and am hoping I can be of support and find support during this re-take journey.

A little about me-I graduated college in 2011 with a BS in Politics and Government and minors in Economics and Peace & Conflict Resolution and a 3.99GPA. This was at a state school and not a prestigious one at that, though. I believe law school admissions takes that into consideration. I also graduated college in 3 years (not sure if that matters to admissions and looking back I wish I would have slowed down and done it in 4) At the time, I was aiming for a 170+ that would enable me to attend HYS, although I couldn’t clearly articulate why I wanted to go other than the fact that it would be life-changing.

I took a cold diagnostic with PT7 on May 25, 2011 and scored a 165. I was pretty excited with this initial score. I self-studied from June-July utilizing the PowerScore LR and LG Bibles and following a guide I purchased from the lsatblog. I was only working part-time at a law firm and was able to devote a significant amount of time to study, but had difficulty focusing and started seeing a new girl around this time which was terrible for my study schedule.

I didn’t take my second full PT (#27) until August 1. I was pretty disappointed when I saw my score had decreased to 161. I felt like I needed extra accountability to stay focused at that time and signed up for and took the Manhattan live online course.
I thought the course was great although I remember having difficulty finding the time to complete more than the base level of practice recommended. Unfortunately, I believe I used Manhattan’s LSAT tracker to track my remaining PT’s and no longer have access to that information, but don’t think I took more than 5 with a high score of 168 (from what I can remember).

I sat for the October exam and scored a 163. I knew this score wasn’t high enough to get into my dream schools and I was second guessing attending law school as many articles at this time were about how the legal market was over saturated and attorneys were struggling to find well-paying work, still feeling the effects of the great recession.

For those reasons among others I chose to enter the workforce and did not apply for 2012 matriculation. I told myself I could always re-take or apply with my score in the future if I wanted to. I spent a year as a financial advisor with Merrill Lynch (definitely not my calling) before doing a year of AmeriCorps service. After AmeriCorps I had the opportunity to become the Executive Director of a struggling youth development non-profit organization. I spent the next 3 years helping turn the organization around, tripling revenue and the number of youth we were serving. About 6 months ago, the organization was stable and growing and I felt ready for a new challenge. So 3 months ago I took over as the Executive Director of a larger, but similarly struggling youth focused non-profit organization to assist them in their turnaround effort.

Over the past several years I have flirted with the idea of pursuing a MBA but after much soul searching, I feel called again to study law so that I can equip myself with the knowledge, tools, and connections to have a greater impact in the public/political sphere.

Key things I did wrong the first time:
1) Didn’t do nearly enough full length PT’s and probably not as much review as I should have (I don’t believe Blind Review was a strategy I was aware of in 2011)
2) Started a new relationship
3) Burnt myself out, didn’t balance or use my time efficiently. Had difficulty staying motivated.
4) Allowed negative thoughts of the legal market, cost of legal education, and lack LSAT score increase to cloud my vision
5) Didn’t have clear understanding of why I wanted to go to law school and didn’t remind myself of this often.

My current plan. I welcome any other thoughts or suggestions.
1) Trying to decide if I should start with Mike Kim’s LSAT Trainer or 7Sage online course. Neither were around when I last took the test, but seem like the highest recommended prep options on the forum. I have read the first few chapters of the Trainer and have also done all of the 7Sage LR that comes with the free trial. Now just need to make a decision. Alternatively, I could re-take any of the Manhattan courses for $400.
2) Plan to spend roughly 15 hours per week on prep- after getting through the course materials will focus on PT’s and review. If I don’t feel ready for June, I don’t mind pushing back until October.
3) To help create more balance this time around, I have started a routine of exercise (45 minutes at the gym in the morning, meditation (headspace app for 10 minutes), and motivation (Zig Ziglar How to Stay Motivated series- listened to while I’m showering and getting ready for work in the morning. I also review a Goals Sheet that includes items such as my core goal and all of the reasons I want to achieve it/what the benefits will be)
a. I know some people laugh at the idea of Zig Ziglar and listening to material like this. I used to think that as well until I heard it recommended by several successful individuals including Seth Godin-I thought I might as well give it a try. Although Zig can be a little preachy, I’ve experience great benefits from listening for a month.

Biggest worries/challenges. Again, I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
1) Having the physical and mental energy and willpower at the end of the day to study while also in an extremely demanding job (I may need to change my routine to study first thing in the morning and move exercise to the end of the day)
2) Staying motivated for and limiting distractions during the studying process (especially if I’m not seeing score improvements)
3) Avoiding burnout
4) Allowing negative thoughts or fear about the uncertainty of leaving the successful career path I’m on inhibit my progress. (Giving up approximately $300k in income over 3 years plus the added cost of law school)
5) Worried about not being able to devote as much time as needed in my current role as Executive Director to lead a successful turnaround.

My immediate next step is to take a diagnostic this weekend.

One particular question, I have is what type of score decreases are common when starting prep and is there a point you should start getting worried or make a change in study habits/materials if you aren’t seeing an increase?

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Please let me know if you have any questions and happy studying!

Mikey

Re: The Official June 2017 Study Group

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

checking in

34iplaw

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Mikey wrote:checking in

A beautiful man has just checked in.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:18 pm

34iplaw wrote:

aww shucks :oops:

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Goddammit... Checking in

34iplaw

Postby 34iplaw » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Oh also. Maybe post that all as a reply here or another thread. I'm not sure if it's standard for threads, but I think you'd be better off providing some basic test info in the head post.

In regards to your post...

School matters relatively little. High scorers are rarer than Ivy grads who want to go to law school. I'll say that I was relatively surprised at the average LSAT from my "lesser" Ivy institution. That said, the students seemed to outperform their numbers which would seem to indicate that school probably matters to some extent. I think your experience would trump anything of that matter.

I've debated between law school and business school as well. Depending where I end up, I'll probably aim for a Masters in a real estate related area as well. Analyze the options and go with your gut. One thing that is nice is MBA admissions are way more holistic than LSAT. It's harder to get in on the margins but you're less likely to get rejected with good scores.

The legal market isn't really bad per say. I think when most people refer to too many lawyers they are largely referring to the glut of schools towards the bottom that are of questionable value to many of their attendees.

Score drops aren't uncommon when you start prepping. Generally, it's because you slow down when you begin prepping, so you either don't finish sections or are rushed on final questions. I think this is most common in LR.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Imma piggyback off of 34's post and add my two cents as well.

These are all legitimate grievances, I liked someone in the Pithypike thread said something along the lines of, "You need to be a robot on test day, no emotions or feelings just work."

segwaying from that as for your study plan if you haven't tried PP's plan, I liked it a lot and will be pretty much redoing it over the next 6 months (I took am working a full time job, probably not as labor/mental intensive as yours). It got me PTing at a very high level and if I didn't have shit luck, I might not be sitting here right now.

exercise is good, just don't try to do a 1RM a 2 weeks from your projected test day and fuck your back up like someone... me.

How to fix your worries

1. Exercise at night right after work, it'll get your blood pumping and you'll feel ready to go.
2. It is a lengthy process, there is 6 months to get better; Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't become Mr. Olympia in a week it takes patience and hard work.
3. Take breaks! be healthy go chill with friends, make 1 day of the week no LSAT.
4. idk lol I do this too
5. And I am a naive little baby so I cannot answer this

Score drops happen, I will not take another PT until the end of January (mostly because I spent the last 6 months everyday at this shit and need a break) but I fully anticipate my score to drop. Don't look at it as the end of the world but rather room for improvement to make your goal score even sweeter when it comes.

You've got this man, just enjoy the holidays for the most part and start heavy immediately afterwards.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:13 pm

dj9i27 wrote:Goddammit... Checking in

This thread is gonna be littt after the feb test is over

somedeadman

Postby somedeadman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Anyone know the official date yet for the test? I've seen June 12th, but it's not on LSAC's site yet.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:Goddammit... Checking in

This thread is gonna be littt after the feb test is over

We might have the potential to go above the september group/waiters; although that was some special community feeling that I missed out on but.... #MakeJuneGreatAgain

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:48 pm

34iplaw wrote:

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Alex <3

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Alex <3

<3

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:

Roverse

Postby Roverse » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:59 am

Sweet, let's do this. I'll start drawing the pentagram if you one of you guys want to get the live chicken.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:22 am

Roverse wrote:Sweet, let's do this. I'll start drawing the pentagram if you one of you guys want to get the live chicken.

chicken? pfffttt, the lsac is like a tyrannosaurus rex or Toby Keith; it want to hunt and it wants to hunt goats.

Bob loblaw law blog

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:23 am

Seems like only yesterday I was lurking on last year's thread. I'm not taking anymore LSATs, but I wanted to say good luck to all y'all.

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:29 am

dj9i27 wrote:
Roverse wrote:Sweet, let's do this. I'll start drawing the pentagram if you one of you guys want to get the live chicken.

chicken? pfffttt, the lsac is like a tyrannosaurus rex or Toby Keith; it want to hunt and it wants to hunt goats.

more like a mauve tyrannosaur

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:32 am

galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

super tangent, I only did that game once like 3/4 months ago but don't remember it being impossible like viruses was to me. idk I'll find out soon again.

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 am

dj9i27 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

super tangent, I only did that game once like 3/4 months ago but don't remember it being impossible like viruses was to me. idk I'll find out soon again.

When I did that game last year it scared me shitless, but when I did again this year it honestly felt like any other grouping game

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:42 am

galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

When I did that game last year it scared me shitless, but when I did again this year it honestly felt like any other grouping game

i think that's why it didn't phase me, I love grouping games it is like my favorite part of the test. those damn new weird whatever the fuck they are games however, my skill is lolworthy.

goal for the next month, don't touch a single lsat question and start from, "scratch" in January

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:48 am

dj9i27 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:
galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

i think that's why it didn't phase me, I love grouping games it is like my favorite part of the test. those damn new weird whatever the fuck they are games however, my skill is lolworthy.

goal for the next month, don't touch a single lsat question and start from, "scratch" in January

Yeah, compared to some of the weird shit from PT70 onwards, the older "weird" games aren't even that weird.

I think taking this month off is a great decision - nobody taking June '17 and later should be studying this month, unless they wanna burn all their materials out before next March

blackmamba8

Postby blackmamba8 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:37 am

Currently registered for February but debating whether I should postpone until June... It's my last take so I'm stressing :?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:21 am

blackmamba8 wrote:Currently registered for February but debating whether I should postpone until June... It's my last take so I'm stressing :?

If you're not applying until next cycle then I don't see how taking in June and giving yourself more time can hurt :P

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 am

galeatus wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:

TTTRIGGEREDDDDDDD

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”