Logic games help / general studying guidance, please!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
spectre

New

Logic games help / general studying guidance, please!

Postby spectre » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 am

Hi there,

Just started prepping about two weeks ago. I ordered the three Manhattan books based on the positive reviews i read on here. I've basically completed all three, and still don't feel very confident in games-particularly deciding which type of diagram i need to use based on the stimulus. How do i go about drilling each game type so that i get more practice essentially drilled into my head? I have prep tests 1-74, but don't really want to just do logic game sections as i'd prefer to just get confident at each game type individually, and then start doing mixed games. Would it be wise to categorize all game types in the prep tests i have and then do like 10 similar games in a row?? Do i use the 7sage site for this and then just drill a particular type over and over? Really confused and discouraged by the logic games section, i'm fine once i know which diagram to use.

Also, i feel like i need more prep material, and was thinking of ordering both the powerscore trilogy and LSAT trainer. Also maybe the blueprint book for logic games specifically. That is if doing those books after manhattan wont confuse me further. This stuff definitely doesn't come naturally to me. I'd say i get an average of 6/10 on each section and my timing is somewhat off. Are the methods that manhattan recommends for games( Tree diagram, Logic chain, open grouping) good when compared to Powerscores?

Thank you very much in advance

spectre

New

Re: Logic games help / general studying guidance, please!

Postby spectre » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:46 am

anyone?? lol. Would appreciate some feedback here. Looking to write in February. Is it overkill to use trainer, manhattan, and powerscore?? and how do i go about drilling specific question types over and over to drill them into my head. Thanks again!

BOSStongrl

New

Postby BOSStongrl » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:46 am

I started studying for the lsat my junior year of college and for some reason reading it in a book and actually attemptig the games never clicked for me. A few years later (back in march after taking a few years off) i started studying again. I took all the preptests and started at 40. Id do each lg section. Id struggle at first tryng to figure out how to properly diagram the different types of games but after maybe 5-10 sections id start noticing patterns pretty quickly. For me the only way i could learn was to just do it. Even if you have no idea what youre doing just try and diagram best you can. Trial and error for a while. And the more games you do the more youll pick up. Theres only so many types of diagrams. I also tried sorting by type when i first tried studying in college and when id get to a real mixed section itd throw me off and make me panic because i was used to doing sets where i KNEW beforehand what the diagram would need to look like. I mean not to say this works for everyone, but i thought id never figure them out and just approaching them best i could helped me figure out what was right and wrong. Also in my opinion do NOT start at pt #1. Theyre vastly different and in my opinion much harder. Id say start around pt 40. Hope this helps!

freekick

Bronze

Postby freekick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:34 am

spectre wrote:anyone?? lol. Would appreciate some feedback here. Looking to write in February. Is it overkill to use trainer, manhattan, and powerscore?? and how do i go about drilling specific question types over and over to drill them into my head. Thanks again!

I have used both, the Bibles and the Manhattan books. Found Manhattan way more effective and independently sufficient.

Reading the books is just the start. Internalising the methods, becoming comfortable with each section and ALL types of LR Qs/Games/Passages takes a lot of practice and time.

For practice, you should get the Cambridge packets from PTs 1-38 for LR and LG. Drill every LR question and game type. After and only after all methods and concepts are well ingrained, move to mixed practice.

Edit: Supplement the Manhattan books with the explanations on their website. That should be enough.

spectre

New

Postby spectre » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:22 am

Hey, thanks for the replies.

So i ordered the trainer, and will get to that as soon as it arrives as i'm now finished with the manhattan books. One of you is telling me to use Pts1-40 first, then the other is telling me to use 40+ only.

Would it be sufficient to use Trainer / manhattan / use 40-55 for slow studying, then take 55-78 as legit timed exams? I can see how the tests under 40 would be good to familiarize myself with the material more, but maybe 40+ is sufficient if the sub 40 test material is a tad irrelevant to the test now.

Thanks again.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Postby Christinabruin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:35 am

spectre wrote:Hey, thanks for the replies.

So i ordered the trainer, and will get to that as soon as it arrives as i'm now finished with the manhattan books. One of you is telling me to use Pts1-40 first, then the other is telling me to use 40+ only.

Would it be sufficient to use Trainer / manhattan / use 40-55 for slow studying, then take 55-78 as legit timed exams? I can see how the tests under 40 would be good to familiarize myself with the material more, but maybe 40+ is sufficient if the sub 40 test material is a tad irrelevant to the test now.

Thanks again.

From my experience, the videos on 7sage were tremendously helpful and got me to really familiarize myself with which diagram to use. I would try diagraming and solving myself then watch the video then do it again. From PT 1-77, I did this process for each game at least 5 times each until everything was just muscle memory. I went -0 on LG on the June 2016 and Sept 2016 exams I sat for and had 5 minutes to spare for each section, if that helps with data.

As for which PTs to start using, I used 50+ for practice and regretted not having more recent material to take actual PTs with. So I recommend starting from the earliest exams to practice and drill, and then use the more recent ones for PTs.

I don't think there is any such thing as "irrelevant" PT material especially since the LSAT is always changing and every preceding exam has questions that will undoubtedly reappear. By doing PTs 1-40, I got used to the more difficult questions and games simply because those older exams are a bit different and they helped me prepare for the oddballs that appeared in the Sept. exam.

lauren22

New

Postby lauren22 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:22 pm

spectre wrote:Hey, thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

You should definitely order the PowerScore books if you haven't already. I don't remember using the Manhattan books, but I have heard good things, but the PowerScore Bibles really set the foundation well. There's a reason why everyone swears by them!

I also liked the LSAT Trainer, but I didn't use that until after I took the test the first time. My score went up significantly after reading it - I think the author does a fantastic job explaining things very clearly.

It doesn't hurt to use a lot of the material that's offered to you. If you are tired of just reading, then I also suggest the 7Sage Logic Games Youtube videos. They were a great tool in learning the nuances and different strategies you can use for Logic Games, which was personally the section I struggled with the most.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:26 pm

spectre wrote:Hi there,

Just started prepping about two weeks ago. I ordered the three Manhattan books based on the positive reviews i read on here. I've basically completed all three, and still don't feel very confident in games-particularly deciding which type of diagram i need to use based on the stimulus. How do i go about drilling each game type so that i get more practice essentially drilled into my head? I have prep tests 1-74, but don't really want to just do logic game sections as i'd prefer to just get confident at each game type individually, and then start doing mixed games. Would it be wise to categorize all game types in the prep tests i have and then do like 10 similar games in a row?? Do i use the 7sage site for this and then just drill a particular type over and over? Really confused and discouraged by the logic games section, i'm fine once i know which diagram to use.

Also, i feel like i need more prep material, and was thinking of ordering both the powerscore trilogy and LSAT trainer. Also maybe the blueprint book for logic games specifically. That is if doing those books after manhattan wont confuse me further. This stuff definitely doesn't come naturally to me. I'd say i get an average of 6/10 on each section and my timing is somewhat off. Are the methods that manhattan recommends for games( Tree diagram, Logic chain, open grouping) good when compared to Powerscores?

Thank you very much in advance

I think you have plenty of prep material already, if you have that many preptests. If you want to go through another logic games guide to review everything from a slightly different perspective, that might not be a bad idea.

Ultimately, it really comes down to practice and repetition. I think doing similar game types in succession is definitely a good idea, as it will help you practice diagramming similar rules and finding similar deductions. One thing I can't stress enough is the importance of careful review - when you go over a game where you missed one or more questions, make sure you go over the setup. Doing well on logic games is all about doing the work up front - the setup is the most important part.

Keep a log of all the games where you missed one or more questions. If you want to go a step further, keep track of how long those games took you. After a week or two, go back and redo those games. Since you're going to see the same patterns again and again, if you can master them now, then you'll avoid falling prey to the same tricks in the future. Don't worry about timing until your accuracy has improved.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�