best way to make use of the last week?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
sethnoorzad

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:28 pm

best way to make use of the last week?

Postby sethnoorzad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:59 pm

I took my tenth PT today, #77.

Main challenge was getting to the last 5 questions on the LR sections with enough time. I had to guess on the last question. My scores range from -7 to -2. Usually I get one or more wrong in the last five.

In RC, it was the same story. I had to guess on the last question because I was out of time. The last passage was the most difficult as well. That along with the time pressure caused me to miss a few there. I'm still doing the BR so I don't know my exact score.

LG is my weakest section and I have been working the most on it. I usually only get to 3 games. This time I got to 3 games plus two questions from the fourth game. But I FORGOT to guess on the ones I didn't answer! I have been trying to remember to do this for like three PT's now and I always forget and tell myself I will remember last time. Must be remembered because it's free points.

Taking next Sat. Any tips for last minute prep? What are others doing in this last week?

GL to all.

User avatar
Shakawkaw

Gold
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Is this your first take? I would advise postponing if the issues you've mentioned (running out of time consistently) have been present along your last 10 PTs.

Otherwise, I would focus on drilling timed sections. Try doing the sections in 30 minutes vs. 35. After review, drill your problem sections untimed to reinforce strategies and habits without the stress of being under a time constraint.

Another thing I tend to do is to skip the parallel flaw/reasoning questions until the end and come back to them. I find that these can be a time suck, and it allows me to finish the other gimme questions that might appear later.

When bubbling - at the 5 minute mark, start bubbling per question vs. per chunk of questions/passage/game. That way in your last minute if you definitely run out of time, you can at least bubble things in.

HTH.

User avatar
Instrumental

Silver
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby Instrumental » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm taking a PT tomorrow and on Wednesday. I might do a couple RC sections on Thursday and/or Friday, but other than that I'm taking it easy.

You could work out all of the timing issues you have with a few more months of studying, so definitely consider pushing the test back. 10 practice tests isn't much preparation. Like you, I started off struggling to complete any of the sections in time, but now completing them is the norm. You could improve your score by like 10 points just from getting timing down.

For LG, it's fairly formulaic for the most part. This will be the beginning process for each game.
1. Write out pieces
2. Draw out game board
3. Write out rules
4. Make inferences from rules
5. Split game board

User avatar
sethnoorzad

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby sethnoorzad » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks for the tips!

I am set on taking this Saturday, for better or worse. I've been happy with my prep lately so I think it's for the better.

Took a full PT yesterday and then again this morning. I simulated all the factors on test day: got up and started exactly at 8:30, got my ziploc bag with all my stuff, added an experimental section as well as the writing section at the end, used a proctor app with my wristwatch, drank a lot early at like 6:45 then stopped completely so I can pee it out before the start of the test without getting too dehydrated. I think all those small things are important to account for. The more prepared mentally I can be for test day the better.

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby Pozzo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Is this your first take? I would advise postponing if the issues you've mentioned (running out of time consistently) have been present along your last 10 PTs.

Otherwise, I would focus on drilling timed sections. Try doing the sections in 30 minutes vs. 35. After review, drill your problem sections untimed to reinforce strategies and habits without the stress of being under a time constraint.

Another thing I tend to do is to skip the parallel flaw/reasoning questions until the end and come back to them. I find that these can be a time suck, and it allows me to finish the other gimme questions that might appear later.

When bubbling - at the 5 minute mark, start bubbling per question vs. per chunk of questions/passage/game. That way in your last minute if you definitely run out of time, you can at least bubble things in.

HTH.


This.

I'd reiterate the advice to postpone. Timing is something that can be learned, and if you're consistently missing 15 (3 per LR and RC, 6 for not getting to a logic game) because of timing issues, you'd be much better off waiting to take after you've spent some more time (not just one week) mastering timing. Just getting to all four logic games could mean a world of difference for your potential outcomes.

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:59 pm

Instrumental wrote:I'm taking a PT tomorrow and on Wednesday. I might do a couple RC sections on Thursday and/or Friday, but other than that I'm taking it easy.

You could work out all of the timing issues you have with a few more months of studying, so definitely consider pushing the test back. 10 practice tests isn't much preparation. Like you, I started off struggling to complete any of the sections in time, but now completing them is the norm. You could improve your score by like 10 points just from getting timing down.

For LG, it's fairly formulaic for the most part. This will be the beginning process for each game.
1. Write out pieces
2. Draw out game board
3. Write out rules
4. Make inferences from rules
5. Split game board


More or less the same plan. PT 78 tomorrow, PT 79 Wednesday. A light drilling of various sections on Thursday and or Friday. Will keep it light on Thursday and or Friday, no more than an hour or 2. May throw in a writing section, may not.

Drilling certain Flaw/Parallel Flaw questions today, and reviewing RC. I may threw in a another question type or two, alternatively may work on some difficult logic games.

User avatar
sethnoorzad

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby sethnoorzad » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:01 pm

Went to Natural Grocer's today where they have an entire wall of snack bars to pick out my snack for break time on test day. Nailing down the small details :D

Yes, I am realizing that if I could improve my timing my errors could go down by 1 to 3 missed questions per section. In the past I almost always have had around 2 wrong just in the last five questions.

I am thinking about re taking in Feb. As I said I've decided to take on Dec for better or worse. How it goes will probably inform my decision about Feb.

My brag is that I have gotten ONE perfect section while taking full PT's. S4 RC PT #78 -- if I get lucky maybe I can replicate those results on Sat

User avatar
Shakawkaw

Gold
Posts: 4807
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: best way to make use of the last week?

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:16 pm

sethnoorzad wrote:Went to Natural Grocer's today where they have an entire wall of snack bars to pick out my snack for break time on test day. Nailing down the small details :D

Yes, I am realizing that if I could improve my timing my errors could go down by 1 to 3 missed questions per section. In the past I almost always have had around 2 wrong just in the last five questions.

I am thinking about re taking in Feb. As I said I've decided to take on Dec for better or worse. How it goes will probably inform my decision about Feb.

My brag is that I have gotten ONE perfect section while taking full PT's. S4 RC PT #78 -- if I get lucky maybe I can replicate those results on Sat


Hard to say, really. Some people overperform on test day so anything is possible. Like I said, if it's your first take, I don't think it would hurt to sit down for the exam so you get a feel for the real thing.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Ottoman and 10 guests