Any tips for timing/reading time?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
intltradefuturelwyr

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby intltradefuturelwyr » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:38 am

This is embarrassing to admit but I can't really read time on a standard clock. I mean, I can, but when I'm under stress I just can't seem to understand the time unless I really concentrate on it. I've taken the LSAT twice before and both times I just kinda relied on the fact that I had a pretty good understanding of the time but I really want to make the most of my time since this is my third time to take it....

So....I'm holding out hope that someone else maybe had this problem and has some solutions for me?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:51 am

intltradefuturelwyr wrote:This is embarrassing to admit but I can't really read time on a standard clock. I mean, I can, but when I'm under stress I just can't seem to understand the time unless I really concentrate on it. I've taken the LSAT twice before and both times I just kinda relied on the fact that I had a pretty good understanding of the time but I really want to make the most of my time since this is my third time to take it....

So....I'm holding out hope that someone else maybe had this problem and has some solutions for me?

Thanks in advance!


Damn dude! You really gotta learn how to do it so it is second nature...

However, an easy solution is just to get a specialized LSAT Watch. They range in price from $25 up to $70 for something like the 180Watch, for example. (Mastermind is another brand of LSAT watches that is high-end)

http://www.180watch.com/

https://mastermindwatch.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Toptier-Custom-L ... B00OGW9N92
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby Alexandros » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:22 am

I'm like that too actually. :oops: Realize that not you're gonna actually have to read the time when you're doing a section - just approach it like a stopwatch. Rewind it to 0 / 12 at the start of the section and get familiar with what the position the minute hand means for your time. It gets easier with practice.

I just used a standard cheap Casio watch but an LSAT watch like Barack suggested is a great choice too.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:46 am

Alexandros wrote:I'm like that too actually. :oops: Realize that not you're gonna actually have to read the time when you're doing a section - just approach it like a stopwatch. Rewind it to 0 / 12 at the start of the section and get familiar with what the position the minute hand means for your time. It gets easier with practice.

I just used a standard cheap Casio watch but an LSAT watch like Barack suggested is a great choice too.


Good point, Alexandros! You don't actually need to read the time - just from 12 to 7 mark (:35 mins)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blackmamba8

Bronze
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby blackmamba8 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:55 am

The Mastermind watch worked really well for me in September. It only has two buttons, one to start/stop it and another to reset it, and it takes 5 seconds max to reset it in between sections. It also divides the 35 minutes into four even sections which I've found to be helpful with pacing on RC and LG. It's pricey but it's been worth it.

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby SunDevil14 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:08 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Alexandros wrote:I'm like that too actually. :oops: Realize that not you're gonna actually have to read the time when you're doing a section - just approach it like a stopwatch. Rewind it to 0 / 12 at the start of the section and get familiar with what the position the minute hand means for your time. It gets easier with practice.

I just used a standard cheap Casio watch but an LSAT watch like Barack suggested is a great choice too.


Good point, Alexandros! You don't actually need to read the time - just from 12 to 7 mark (:35 mins)


I have a Gold Movado that I wear every day, no numbers and very few notches. I have no issues reading analog but find that under the time pressure of the test that the method above works perfectly. I bought a cheap $5 analog watch from Walmart and rewind the minute and hour hand to both be at 12:00 for the start of each section. The 7 mark is 35minutes and each large notch along the way is 5minutes.

Protip: I use the 7sage digital proctor and click the knob back in for my analog watch to start when the proctor start issuing the directions at the start of the each section. The idea is that 1. your are not fumbling with you watch when time actually begins and 2. twenty or so seconds go by on the second hand before you start the section so you're not anxious at the end of the section wondering if you have enough time to bubble in an answer or two.

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Any tips for timing/reading time?

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm

.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests