Best Snack for LSAT break

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ilovemydogxo

New

Best Snack for LSAT break

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:39 am

Hey guys, I love snacks and I would love to hear what snacks you guys eat during your breaks (if any). Thanks!

dj9i27

Gold

Re: Best Snack for LSAT break

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:44 am

dark chocolate 80% cacao
handful of almonds mixed with granola
water
apple

has fats, sugars, carbohydrates, protein all the good stuff that will keep you going for the next hour and a half you need to be.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:53 am

I just ate a cinnamon toast crunch cereal bar... Well, a couple of them... but I don't eat much when I'm nervous/rarely eat breakfast so I wasn't really hungry anyway.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:16 am

First time round I had a bag of mixed nuts cos it's the first test i've ever taken that allows snacks during breaks and I couldn't allow myself to not bring something
Second time in none of my test simulations did I eat anything, so I didn't on test day either
Last edited by galeatus on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:35 am

It literally does not matter. I get the dogma and obsession, I took the thing several times, I teach the thing. But, it's a 4 hour, 100 question multiple choice test, eat anything that won't make you sick, or eat nothing at all, it's not the Olympics.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:11 pm

1. Taco Bell Breakfast Crunch Wrap Supreme - in the waiting room before the exam.
2. White Castle Crave Case (30 Sliders but only got to eat like 16-20 during the break).
3. I had a fresh coconut that I cut open right before the exam, and drank from that throughout the exam. A lot of electrolytes!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:14 pm

The two times I took the test I took pretzels, a granola bar, and water. Pretzels were for during the break, and the granola bar was for when I got out and knew I was going to be hungry.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Hey guys, I love snacks and I would love to hear what snacks you guys eat during your breaks (if any). Thanks!

I ate two granola bars and had half a can of Red Bull. I didn't experiment with having caffeine during the break until my last couple of weeks of prepping, and I found that it definitely helped as long as I didn't go overboard. I'd recommend trying different things and going with what feels right. You know yourself best.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Clearly wrote:It literally does not matter. I get the dogma and obsession, I took the thing several times, I teach the thing. But, it's a 4 hour, 100 question multiple choice test, eat anything that won't make you sick, or eat nothing at all, it's not the Olympics.

I don't know about this.

We are locked into our test center at 8:30am. For me, I like to arrive early so I'm actually at the test center around 8am or so. This means I have to leave my house at 7:30am. But I like to eat breakfast before I shower and get dressed, plus I want to do a couple practice questions before leaving my house.

So I'm eating breakfast at around 6am-6:30am. The test doesn't let out until 2pm or so, if your group is lucky. This means if you eat breakfast at 6:30am, you are skipping lunch until well past 2pm!

And personally, I enjoy working out and staying fit, so my muscle mass burns more calories at rest than the average person. I get pretty damn hungry after 3-4 hours of not eating. I'm definitely not at peak performance without an adequate snack during the break.

When I'm doing practice tests, I'm certainly feeling like my mind is "hitting the wall" by section 5. So for people like me, snack choice does matter and I need something more than "as long as it doesn't make you sick".

For the September test, I ate several sticks of those Gatorade gummy snacks. They're basically sugar, so they release energy more quickly than protein and I was able to stave off the "hitting the wall" fatigue feeling. They're also really easy to chew and eat, so you have more time to rest or go to the bathroom or whatever else you need to do during the break period.

connordalto

Bronze

Postby connordalto » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Hey guys, I love snacks and I would love to hear what snacks you guys eat during your breaks (if any). Thanks!

I plan on a filet, mid rare, with au gratin potatoes and a glass of Pinot Grigio...

Or granola bars, energy gummies and some caffeine, probably Red Bull.

Ilovemydogxo

New

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Clearly wrote:It literally does not matter. I get the dogma and obsession,

Hey man what do you have against dogs? Do you even have one?

echonov

New

Postby echonov » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Last edited by echonov on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilovemydogxo

New

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Are you allowed to drink alcohol during your break? Otherwise I might bring some jello shots

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:44 pm

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Are you allowed to drink alcohol during your break? Otherwise I might bring some jello shots

Most people just recommend bringing a 20 oz water bottle full of straight vodka. Less messy than jello shots, and helps with RC. :)

dj9i27

Gold

Postby dj9i27 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Ilovemydogxo wrote:Are you allowed to drink alcohol during your break? Otherwise I might bring some jello shots

Most people just recommend bringing a 20 oz water bottle full of straight vodka. Less messy than jello shots, and helps with RC. :)

Everclear and crystal light

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
Clearly wrote:It literally does not matter. I get the dogma and obsession, I took the thing several times, I teach the thing. But, it's a 4 hour, 100 question multiple choice test, eat anything that won't make you sick, or eat nothing at all, it's not the Olympics.

I don't know about this.

We are locked into our test center at 8:30am. For me, I like to arrive early so I'm actually at the test center around 8am or so. This means I have to leave my house at 7:30am. But I like to eat breakfast before I shower and get dressed, plus I want to do a couple practice questions before leaving my house.

So I'm eating breakfast at around 6am-6:30am. The test doesn't let out until 2pm or so, if your group is lucky. This means if you eat breakfast at 6:30am, you are skipping lunch until well past 2pm!

And personally, I enjoy working out and staying fit, so my muscle mass burns more calories at rest than the average person. I get pretty damn hungry after 3-4 hours of not eating. I'm definitely not at peak performance without an adequate snack during the break.

When I'm doing practice tests, I'm certainly feeling like my mind is "hitting the wall" by section 5. So for people like me, snack choice does matter and I need something more than "as long as it doesn't make you sick".

For the September test, I ate several sticks of those Gatorade gummy snacks. They're basically sugar, so they release energy more quickly than protein and I was able to stave off the "hitting the wall" fatigue feeling. They're also really easy to chew and eat, so you have more time to rest or go to the bathroom or whatever else you need to do during the break period.

Meal replacement protein bar. One of those bad boys with a bunch or carbs and calories.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 pm

I do not recall, is gum/mints allowed?

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:23 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:I do not recall, is gum/mints allowed?

I think they're fine during break / would count as a food product? Definitely not during testing.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:I do not recall, is gum/mints allowed?

I think they're fine during break / would count as a food product? Definitely not during testing.

Solid. Along with a complex carbohydrate protein bar, will probably bring nicotine gum or lozenge and a 5 hour energy shot if I need them. Better to have them and not need them, then to need and not have them.

ws120

New

Postby ws120 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 am

Lunchables. Everyone around me was jealous.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:48 am

I swear by the peanut almond & dark chocolate Nature Valley protein bars. They're good, filling, and, most importantly, have exactly 180 calories.

Rogah

New

Postby Rogah » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:34 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:I ... had half a can of Red Bull. ...

Did you transfer the Red Bull into a...
plastic container or juice box (maximum size: 20 oz/591 ml)—no aluminum cans or glass containers permitted
...before entering the test room?

Alternately, are people going to their cars during breaks? Because...
Test takers may not leave the vicinity of the test center, as defined by the test supervisor.

Do some supervisors allow going to one's car?

Rogah

New

Postby Rogah » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:39 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:... The test doesn't let out until 2pm or so, if your group is lucky. ...

The nominal duration is 3:45. So wouldn't a "lucky" group start about 9:00 AM and be out around 1:00 PM?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:44 am

Rogah wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:... The test doesn't let out until 2pm or so, if your group is lucky. ...

The nominal duration is 3:45. So wouldn't a "lucky" group start about 9:00 AM and be out around 1:00 PM?

Yes.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:46 pm

I have a tough time eating when I'm really focused or stressed, so I didn't eat breakfast or a snack either of the two times I took the LSAT
Last edited by addie1412 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?