Overcoming Test Taking Anxiety Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
klaudiaxo

New

Overcoming Test Taking Anxiety

Post by klaudiaxo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Does anyone have any tips in regards to anxiety?

Even when I'm not doing a timed section I still get anxiety correcting my answers, and thinking about taking the LSAT makes my stomach turn.

I have anxiety in general, so I feel like it's keeping me from racking up those valuable extra points. How did you remain calm and anxiety free on test day? 8)

EmelyM23

New

Re: Overcoming Test Taking Anxiety

Post by EmelyM23 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:18 pm

I have not taken the LSAT but I will in June. I can tell you that with a great amount of confidence in what your doing, you will can get rid of it. Think of something your realllly good at and have no anxiety doing. Your probably really good because of practice or constant exposure to it. I too get super nervous but when I'm certain of an answer, I'm confident and not anxious. I suggest if possible going to proctored exams as they somewhat mimic the real thing (classroom,proctor,etc). Key is constant exposure to the LSAT because the more confident the lesss anxious you are on test day.

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm

klaudiaxo wrote:Does anyone have any tips in regards to anxiety?

Even when I'm not doing a timed section I still get anxiety correcting my answers, and thinking about taking the LSAT makes my stomach turn.

I have anxiety in general, so I feel like it's keeping me from racking up those valuable extra points. How did you remain calm and anxiety free on test day? 8)
Only focus on one question at a time. apply the skills you know you have, crush it, move on. Repeat 125x.

echonov

New

Post by echonov » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Last edited by echonov on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:08 pm

By taking enough practice tests under actual test conditions, you will begin to feel a lot less anxiety. I flipped out the first time I took it, and by the time I started it, I realized it was just like every other practice test I had taken. Really not worth geeking out about

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:59 pm

klaudiaxo wrote:Does anyone have any tips in regards to anxiety?

Test anxiety is one of those things that differs from person to person, so it's impossible to give you a catch-all solution. But the best I can offer are some tips that have helped me and students that I've worked with.

First off, you need to use your prep time to confront your anxieties about the LSAT head on. If you're getting anxiety from correcting your answers, then keep doing it. In fact, do it more often than you are now. If there's a specific section or question type that gives you anxiety because you tend to struggle with it, spend extra time studying and practicing it. You're goal should be to keep working on that aspect of the test until it's no longer a source of fear.

I'd also recommend practicing mindful meditation on a daily basis, to help keep your anxiety under control. This is something that has helped me both inside and outside the context of the LSAT. Practicing mindfulness is simple: the core concept is taking a short chunk of time out of each day to be by yourself and think about the emotions you're experiencing. Try to identify why you're feeling a certain way, and try to think of ways to change that behavior. It can help your achieve a greater degree of self-awareness and self-control.

I would recommend combining mindfulness exercises with simple meditative breathing exercises. The more consistently you practice this, the more effective it will become. When I was feeling overcome by nerves while doing a practice test or something, I'd take 10 seconds to close my eyes, take some deep breaths, and give myself a reassuring pep talk. It might sound trivial, but it can be incredibly effective. The LSAT is also a looong test, and there are a lot of opportunities to get tripped up by a difficult or confusingly worded question - being able to recalibrate your mental state is vital, in my opinion.

Finally, doing timed practice tests is the closest you can get to experiencing the real LSAT. I'd recommend doing some of these in unfamiliar places, like a study hall if you're in university, or a library.

Hope some of those tips are helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”