Mid 150s - low 160s Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ebmus11

New

Mid 150s - low 160s

Post by ebmus11 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12 pm

Hey TLS,

I'm a Canadian student, applying to Canadian schools. This is important because the LSAT scores to get into schools here aren't as high as those in the States, but the GPAs are all fairly high. The school I'm applying to, University of Alberta, is a 3.8 and 161 average, but they post an applicant profile on their website showing what every student got accepted with last year. In my GPA bracket, 3.9+, more than 10 people were accepted with a 3.9 and an LSAT of 152-158, so that's my range right now. My PT average across all PTs is like 156, but I've gotten 158 twice, as well as a 160 in the last 2 weeks. The thing that's worrying me is that my scores have steadily gone down in my last 4 exams, and I've gotten 155, 154, 153, and 153. It's usually a disparate LR score that gets me; I'll get like 20/25 on one, and then 16/26 on the other, and I have no clue why. I blind review all of my exams thoroughly, but I just can't figure out why I'm going downhill. Also, the newer games seem to fuck me over, and I have never gotten 100% on games even when I did "well" on the exams. I've done all of the exams in the 70s, except 79, which I'll be doing tomorrow. Seeing that I can get 20 on an LR section, I feel that I understand the material at the level that I need to understand, I need consistency.

I just wanna get a 157 and never think about this bullshit again, what do you guys suggest my best possible way of getting this score on December 3rd is? And no, I really don't wanna postpone because I've already applied, so I might as well take a shot this year.

Also, with so little time 'till the exam, any tips on confidence/morale boosting? My confidence has gone to shit within the last few days, and I don't know what to do.

TAD

Bronze

Re: Mid 150s - low 160s

Post by TAD » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 pm

Hello. Fellow Canadian here. Is the LR section that you usually get lower on the second section? If it is the second section then it could be stamina issues. Also, are your scores a lot higher whenever you blind review it. It is also possible it is burnout. I wasn't doing my best on my last three practice tests before the actual LSAT. Decided to take 3 days off completely before the actual LSAT and ended up scoring close to my best practice test. You should also try and find out if the questions you are getting wrong are specific types and one section just happens to have more of those types of questions. If that is the case then I would drill those types consistently. Finally, for games, for all the games you are not getting perfect on, I would print out or photocopy several blank copies of the same game and do it over and over again. 2 weeks into my LSAT and I was getting, at best, -3 on games. Printing out several blank copies of the games i had trouble on really helped me go -0 on them in the really thing. I started out getting only 7 correct. Overall, this whole process helped me improve 28 points so maybe it can help you to.

ebmus11

New

Post by ebmus11 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 pm

TAD wrote:Hello. Fellow Canadian here. Is the LR section that you usually get lower on the second section? If it is the second section then it could be stamina issues. Also, are your scores a lot higher whenever you blind review it. It is also possible it is burnout. I wasn't doing my best on my last three practice tests before the actual LSAT. Decided to take 3 days off completely before the actual LSAT and ended up scoring close to my best practice test. You should also try and find out if the questions you are getting wrong are specific types and one section just happens to have more of those types of questions. If that is the case then I would drill those types consistently. Finally, for games, for all the games you are not getting perfect on, I would print out or photocopy several blank copies of the same game and do it over and over again. 2 weeks into my LSAT and I was getting, at best, -3 on games. Printing out several blank copies of the games i had trouble on really helped me go -0 on them in the really thing. I started out getting only 7 correct. Overall, this whole process helped me improve 28 points so maybe it can help you to.
I don't know if it's stamina, but sometimes it's the first LR I do better on, sometimes the second. It's random, that's why I'm so worried. Sometimes it's even both I do poorly on, and then I do well on games and RC. Also, a different type of question is what gets every time, so maybe I should just drill LR sections everyday? And yes, I do get MUCH higher BR scores, like when I get a 153, my BR will be 160+.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:04 am

ebmus11 wrote:
TAD wrote:Hello. Fellow Canadian here. Is the LR section that you usually get lower on the second section? If it is the second section then it could be stamina issues. Also, are your scores a lot higher whenever you blind review it. It is also possible it is burnout. I wasn't doing my best on my last three practice tests before the actual LSAT. Decided to take 3 days off completely before the actual LSAT and ended up scoring close to my best practice test. You should also try and find out if the questions you are getting wrong are specific types and one section just happens to have more of those types of questions. If that is the case then I would drill those types consistently. Finally, for games, for all the games you are not getting perfect on, I would print out or photocopy several blank copies of the same game and do it over and over again. 2 weeks into my LSAT and I was getting, at best, -3 on games. Printing out several blank copies of the games i had trouble on really helped me go -0 on them in the really thing. I started out getting only 7 correct. Overall, this whole process helped me improve 28 points so maybe it can help you to.
I don't know if it's stamina, but sometimes it's the first LR I do better on, sometimes the second. It's random, that's why I'm so worried. Sometimes it's even both I do poorly on, and then I do well on games and RC. Also, a different type of question is what gets every time, so maybe I should just drill LR sections everyday? And yes, I do get MUCH higher BR scores, like when I get a 153, my BR will be 160+.
Are you completing the same amount of questions on LR each time? Or do you sometimes finish 23qs and then finish 25/26 qs the next time? If your score is higher because you complete more questions then you might want to try focusing on finishing the sections, as your accuracy may already be ok. If you are getting lower scores on the sections when you finish more questions then you might want to focus more on accuracy and slow down. But yes, definitely drill LR sections and questions both time and untimed. Sometimes I will do just 5 questions timed, then 10 questions until I get to 25/26 questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:12 pm

ebmus11 wrote:Hey TLS,

I'm a Canadian student, applying to Canadian schools. This is important because the LSAT scores to get into schools here aren't as high as those in the States, but the GPAs are all fairly high. The school I'm applying to, University of Alberta, is a 3.8 and 161 average, but they post an applicant profile on their website showing what every student got accepted with last year. In my GPA bracket, 3.9+, more than 10 people were accepted with a 3.9 and an LSAT of 152-158, so that's my range right now. My PT average across all PTs is like 156, but I've gotten 158 twice, as well as a 160 in the last 2 weeks. The thing that's worrying me is that my scores have steadily gone down in my last 4 exams, and I've gotten 155, 154, 153, and 153. It's usually a disparate LR score that gets me; I'll get like 20/25 on one, and then 16/26 on the other, and I have no clue why. I blind review all of my exams thoroughly, but I just can't figure out why I'm going downhill. Also, the newer games seem to fuck me over, and I have never gotten 100% on games even when I did "well" on the exams. I've done all of the exams in the 70s, except 79, which I'll be doing tomorrow. Seeing that I can get 20 on an LR section, I feel that I understand the material at the level that I need to understand, I need consistency.

I just wanna get a 157 and never think about this bullshit again, what do you guys suggest my best possible way of getting this score on December 3rd is? And no, I really don't wanna postpone because I've already applied, so I might as well take a shot this year.

Also, with so little time 'till the exam, any tips on confidence/morale boosting? My confidence has gone to shit within the last few days, and I don't know what to do.
How are your score averages in LG and RC? If you're scoring in the 150s, I'm guessing there's room for improvement in the other sections, not just LR.

I think that LG is the most masterable section - if you spend enough time practicing games and redoing ones where you missed questions, you'll be able to recognize most of the patterns that the test throws at you, and can start averaging a perfect or near-perfect LSAT score.

With LR, your best bet is to try and figure out which question types you tend to get wrong more often than others, and then focus on studying and drilling those. Look again over your LR sections from those recent exams, and make a tally of the questions you got wrong by type. LR is a big, expansive section, so narrowing down your weaknesses is the most efficient way to improve.

You're close to your goal, don't lose heart now! There's still time to improve, but keeping your confidence up is just as important as scoring well on your practice tests. Shake off those recent score drops and buckle down for the last stretch!

ebmus11

New

Post by ebmus11 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
ebmus11 wrote:Hey TLS,

How are your score averages in LG and RC? If you're scoring in the 150s, I'm guessing there's room for improvement in the other sections, not just LR.

I think that LG is the most masterable section - if you spend enough time practicing games and redoing ones where you missed questions, you'll be able to recognize most of the patterns that the test throws at you, and can start averaging a perfect or near-perfect LSAT score.

With LR, your best bet is to try and figure out which question types you tend to get wrong more often than others, and then focus on studying and drilling those. Look again over your LR sections from those recent exams, and make a tally of the questions you got wrong by type. LR is a big, expansive section, so narrowing down your weaknesses is the most efficient way to improve.

You're close to your goal, don't lose heart now! There's still time to improve, but keeping your confidence up is just as important as scoring well on your practice tests. Shake off those recent score drops and buckle down for the last stretch!
RC is BAD, like BAD BAD. I usually get somewhere between 14/27 to 19/27. LG is not so bad, but every once in a while there will be that one really tough, weird game that throws me off. I'd say my LG average is like 19/23.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”