Fairly new to the game; overwhelmed with all the information and unsure where to start

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MindyKale

New

Fairly new to the game; overwhelmed with all the information and unsure where to start

Postby MindyKale » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi,

I currently work full time as a Software Engineer and I am considering taking the LSAT. I am fairly new to this, I have been looking up for information online and I am severely overwhelmed by the largesse of the internet w.r.t all things LSAT. But, I don't know where to start, I came across a few one-on-one prep services which seem to charge a fortune, self-study video courses that cost $1000+ and a ton of various a I am thoroughly confused.
1.) Can I prepare for the LSAT without relying on these courses and lectures and primarily by teaching myself? If so, how?
2.) Where do I start looking for information and some standard/highly recommended prep materials, preparation plans?
3.) Where can I find any of this information?

I apologize if I sound too naive or if this has been asked before but there are so many outlets, blogs and forums chiming in I have no clue what is reliable and where to start.

Thank you guys in advance.

RamTitan

Silver

Re: Fairly new to the game; overwhelmed with all the information and unsure where to start

Postby RamTitan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 pm

You can do this on your own (and most people recommend going this route).

Start with actively reading the PowerScore bibles or Manhattan workbooks.

Pozzo

Gold

Re: Fairly new to the game; overwhelmed with all the information and unsure where to start

Postby Pozzo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Hey MK, welcome aboard. This is a great place to start: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=200917

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Since I don't see a lot of people on TLS recommending it, I just want to say that the only thing I used to study for my first test* (June 16) was the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim (plus lots of practice tests) and I thought it was great. Also cost me a heck of a lot less than a course or purchasing multiple volumes from other publishers.

*I scored 170, for what it's worth

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Took Testmasters, TBH... I'd just recommend self study. My reasons for taking Testmasters was, primarily, that I needed some form of social circle or environment centered around it.

I'd look into it a bit before delving into it... there isn't much harm in studying and seeing how you do, but SE is a pretty good place to be these past few years.

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:28 pm

airwrecka wrote:Since I don't see a lot of people on TLS recommending it, I just want to say that the only thing I used to study for my first test* (June 16) was the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim (plus lots of practice tests) and I thought it was great. Also cost me a heck of a lot less than a course or purchasing multiple volumes from other publishers.

I just started studying with the trainer and am a little worried about it since many people don't talk about it. How much did you improve from your initial diagnostic?

klaudiaxo

New

Postby klaudiaxo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:51 pm

MindyKale wrote:Hi,

I currently work full time as a Software Engineer and I am considering taking the LSAT. I am fairly new to this, I have been looking up for information online and I am severely overwhelmed by the largesse of the internet w.r.t all things LSAT. But, I don't know where to start, I came across a few one-on-one prep services which seem to charge a fortune, self-study video courses that cost $1000+ and a ton of various a I am thoroughly confused.
1.) Can I prepare for the LSAT without relying on these courses and lectures and primarily by teaching myself? If so, how?
2.) Where do I start looking for information and some standard/highly recommended prep materials, preparation plans?
3.) Where can I find any of this information?

I apologize if I sound too naive or if this has been asked before but there are so many outlets, blogs and forums chiming in I have no clue what is reliable and where to start.

Thank you guys in advance.

I REALLY love the LSAT Trainer book. I have been through PS and MLSAT and the Trainer has just worked better for me.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:50 am

lgsb2014 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Since I don't see a lot of people on TLS recommending it, I just want to say that the only thing I used to study for my first test* (June 16) was the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim (plus lots of practice tests) and I thought it was great. Also cost me a heck of a lot less than a course or purchasing multiple volumes from other publishers.

I just started studying with the trainer and am a little worried about it since many people don't talk about it. How much did you improve from your initial diagnostic?

Well I didn't take a diagnostic until AFTER I had been using the trainer for about a month. At that time, my score was 167, and on test day I improved to a 170, but I didn't even complete all the drills I was supposed to, so I know I could have had an even higher score if I had done them all.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:31 am

If you search around here there will be reviews for a lot of different books (bibles, trainer, manhattan, etc). You'll want to get at least one + basically every prep test ever. Then continue searching here and asking questions! You can definitely do it on your own and on your own schedule.

whodareswins

Bronze

Postby whodareswins » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:31 am

I liked the LSAT for Dummies for an introduction to the test. It was also has 3 practice tests that will give you a feel for the process. Next, I recommend taking actual practice tests compiled in the official LSAC compilations. Do untimed sections and full length tests until you are above your target score. Then start incorporating timed sections. I took 30-40 practice tests and scored a 166 on my first take.

My biggest regret was not throwing in a fifth "experimental" section during my studying. I found that this extra section really took a toll on my endurance during the real exam. 3 hours of testing with a ten minute break in the middle is pretty brutal mentally and physically.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�