Parallel, must conclusion in AC match the conclusion in the stimulus re: + or - idea (not terms)?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Parallel, must conclusion in AC match the conclusion in the stimulus re: + or - idea (not terms)?

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:17 pm

If a LR parallel question stimulus has a positive conclusion, does the correct answer choice also have to have a positive conclusion?

I don't mean does it have to have a positive term in both. For example, if the stimulus says "always does", I understand that it's okay for the correct answer choice to be "is never not the case", because they have the same force of logic, but does the idea in the correct answer choice have to be something positive?

Or can the correct answer choice be "never does". So in this case something is still 100% occurring (just like for "always does"), but is going in a different direction. This, as opposed to "always does", and "is never not the case", which are going in the same direction, just using positive and negative terms, respectively.

echonov

New

Re: Parallel, must conclusion in AC match the conclusion in the stimulus re: + or - idea (not terms)?

Postby echonov » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Every one I've seen has been parallel in conclusion form (+/+ or -/-) as well as logic -- it's a quick way to rule out wrong answers. (Disclaimer -- there are lots of PTs out there that I haven't taken!)

34iplaw

Gold

Re: Parallel, must conclusion in AC match the conclusion in the stimulus re: + or - idea (not terms)?

Postby 34iplaw » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't recall a specific question where this came into play, but I see no reason why an answer couldn't just be negative... I think you can probably be safe using this as a 'soft' eliminate [or skim over], but I wouldn't use it to definitively eliminate answer choices.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 pm

Your experiences would seem to parallel (hah!) my own.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just being cautious

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:14 am

Check out PT61 section 2 Q 23

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 am

CPA-->JD wrote:Check out PT61 section 2 Q 23

Hah, well there you go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�