Panic + Overcoming New LG Sections

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kernel_man

New

Panic + Overcoming New LG Sections

Postby kernel_man » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Hey everyone, I'm devoting the next two weeks almost exclusively to games and I need your help going -0. I got a 168 in September and went -5 on games. :'( I'm very confident that I'll hit 173+ in December if I can go -0 in LG this time.

My problem is that I almost always PT at -0 on games and I have drilled A TON of them. I've done every game from PTs 1-38 at least 6 times each so far (I printed 10 copies of each game and have 4 sets left) and all the other games once. There are two ways in which I drill:
1: I go through an entire set by game type (so I'll do all of the in/out games from PTs 1-38, then I'll do all of the complex sequencing games from PTs 1-38, etc). Review after each game.
2: I randomly separated all the games from PTs 1-38 into sets of 5 games each and I do a set under a 35 minute time constraint. Review after each packet.

I don't know how much value I'm getting out of drilling these games. I've done them all enough to the point that I immediately recognize things like key inferences, whether or not I need to split the gameboard, how difficult the game should be/how long it should take, etc. I can do almost all of the official games sections from PTs 1-38 in ~22-25 minutes each. But then, when I take the actual thing I freak out over the fact that I've got no clue what the game's inferences are or how hard it is. Some games are naturally harder than others but I go full tilt if I take more than 8 minutes on a game.

On the September exam, I misread a rule on game 2 and then freaked out once I caught it. Instead of going through the rest of the games like normal, I rushed into questions, missed inferences, and overall just made sloppy mistakes.

What can I do to ensure that I don't panic in December? How can I change up my drilling to not get messed up when I see a new or unusual game? I only own PTs 39-78 in paper form and have already done those games so I can't easily print out more of them and drill those like I did for PTs 1-38. TCR is normally to just drill a ton and repeat games that I miss any questions on, but I feel like I'm beyond that point and that it's mostly mental for me now.

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Panic + Overcoming New LG Sections

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:13 pm

kernel_man wrote:Hey everyone, I'm devoting the next two weeks almost exclusively to games and I need your help going -0. I got a 168 in September and went -5 on games. :'( I'm very confident that I'll hit 173+ in December if I can go -0 in LG this time.

My problem is that I almost always PT at -0 on games and I have drilled A TON of them. I've done every game from PTs 1-38 at least 6 times each so far (I printed 10 copies of each game and have 4 sets left) and all the other games once. There are two ways in which I drill:
1: I go through an entire set by game type (so I'll do all of the in/out games from PTs 1-38, then I'll do all of the complex sequencing games from PTs 1-38, etc). Review after each game.
2: I randomly separated all the games from PTs 1-38 into sets of 5 games each and I do a set under a 35 minute time constraint. Review after each packet.

I don't know how much value I'm getting out of drilling these games. I've done them all enough to the point that I immediately recognize things like key inferences, whether or not I need to split the gameboard, how difficult the game should be/how long it should take, etc. I can do almost all of the official games sections from PTs 1-38 in ~22-25 minutes each. But then, when I take the actual thing I freak out over the fact that I've got no clue what the game's inferences are or how hard it is. Some games are naturally harder than others but I go full tilt if I take more than 8 minutes on a game.

On the September exam, I misread a rule on game 2 and then freaked out once I caught it. Instead of going through the rest of the games like normal, I rushed into questions, missed inferences, and overall just made sloppy mistakes.

What can I do to ensure that I don't panic in December? How can I change up my drilling to not get messed up when I see a new or unusual game? I only own PTs 39-78 in paper form and have already done those games so I can't easily print out more of them and drill those like I did for PTs 1-38. TCR is normally to just drill a ton and repeat games that I miss any questions on, but I feel like I'm beyond that point and that it's mostly mental for me now.

Just have a process that you follow for every game. When I took my test I basically had a checklist for how I approached every problem, and that consistency helped me not freak out or get frustrated.

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Maybe try freaking yourself out again? Force yourself to complete a games section with fewer minutes than a normal section allows. Or cover up a rule until a few minutes in to get used to that jolt of "oh no". I had a few experiences during my prep where I'd make a mistake like not reading the rule, and I let the anxiety, annoyance, nerves flow then. During my actual test I did what you did, misread a rule. But I practically shrugged my shoulders because I knew what to expect. I didn't lose my focus. In short, I'd try putting yourself in a weird situation like that now so you now how to react if it happens.

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:23 pm

OP, I don't have much help to offer, but just so you know I am in your boat!! I'll be watching the thread for good suggestions :)

galadriel3019 wrote:Maybe try freaking yourself out again? Force yourself to complete a games section with fewer minutes than a normal section allows. Or cover up a rule until a few minutes in to get used to that jolt of "oh no". I had a few experiences during my prep where I'd make a mistake like not reading the rule, and I let the anxiety, annoyance, nerves flow then. During my actual test I did what you did, misread a rule. But I practically shrugged my shoulders because I knew what to expect. I didn't lose my focus. In short, I'd try putting yourself in a weird situation like that now so you now how to react if it happens.

this is really interesting advice! but I think it's good--so thanks!

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:17 pm

Start doing full, timed sets of unfamiliar games semi-regularly, just to give the yourself the psychological experience of dealing with an entirely new set within time. If there are games you haven't seen from 39-79, use those. There are also fake games out there, as a last resort.

connordalto

Bronze

Postby connordalto » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:23 am

kernel_man wrote:Hey everyone, I'm devoting the next two weeks almost exclusively to games and I need your help going -0. I got a 168 in September and went -5 on games. :'( I'm very confident that I'll hit 173+ in December if I can go -0 in LG this time.

What typically helps me get through that initial period of freezing up on games is to 1) take a deep breath, chill, center yourself, 2) double check your rules and diagram according to the game, to make sure your not missing anything, and 3) start writing instead of staring. Take a question that gives you additional info and start applying the rules, one by one. This usually helps me get back into focus and usually I will start to see inferences that I may have missed initially.

kernel_man

New

Postby kernel_man » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone.

To give y'all a follow-up, here's what I've been doing and it has been working really well.

-A randomized packet of 10 games from PTs 1-38 in 1 hour. Two of these a day.
-A 35 minute timed section from "ACE the LSAT Logic Games." Two of these a day. This is probably the most helpful part for me because these games are both harder than the real LSAT games and are entirely unfamiliar to me. Also, the slight differences between these games and what I'd expect from the LSAT are good at "shocking" me so that I'll hopefully be ready for the unfamiliarity on the actual thing.

It's hard to simulate the mentality that I'm worried I might have on the day of the LSAT, so I guess that I just have to get so confident in games that I won't need to worry about it.

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:17 am

While you should stick to your strategy on test day, perhaps try something more like rule driving or trying to answer questions in your head. I think you can get a better understanding of a lot of games this way. There are definitely some games (later ones too - not "easy" ones) that don't really require you to write very much at all... at least compared to 7Sage.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:10 pm

34iplaw wrote:While you should stick to your strategy on test day, perhaps try something more like rule driving or trying to answer questions in your head. I think you can get a better understanding of a lot of games this way. There are definitely some games (later ones too - not "easy" ones) that don't really require you to write very much at all... at least compared to 7Sage.

^This. Other than that put the books on the self and do not worry about it. I am in the same boat, it's likely a combo of stress, nerves, and a bit of burnout.

If you are screwing up because you misread/misrepresent a rule or question, and or panic then it's not a lack of knowledge or mastery. Rather it's some notion in you head telling you that you regularly go -0 and kill the games, so you should go -0 on the actual thing. Going -0 on the last 10 sections of 4 games is no guarantee you are not going to fuck up some how and get a shitty score. Acknowledge that and accept. Let go of the outcome and just try your best, it will clear up a lot of things in your head that cause you make stupid mistakes.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kernel_man

New

Postby kernel_man » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:10 pm

VERY SURE I WENT -0!!!!!!!!!!! Finished games in 24 minutes.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

180orDie

New

Postby 180orDie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:17 pm

kernel_man wrote:VERY SURE I WENT -0!!!!!!!!!!! Finished games in 24 minutes.

You might be the only one.

TLane

New

Postby TLane » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Congrats. I'm glad your hard work seems to have paid off!

gwillygecko

Bronze

Postby gwillygecko » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:18 am

180orDie wrote:

You might be the only one.

i took longer than 24 minutes, but... fingers crossed =)

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:08 am

Congrats! Hope for the best!

quigleyest

New

Postby quigleyest » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:50 am

Went -0 on games first take. Yesterday bubbled the games section wrong after getting flustered by 3 and running out of time. I am fairly confident in -0, but I think it became -4 or -7 due to my scantron. Saw at least 4 bubbles misplaced as time was called.

For games, what is the #1 recommended resource? 7sage videos? I felt like i had 3 decently figured out, but did it slowly and did not make the key inference that everyone is talking about?

Pm appreciated

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�