Strategy for hurdling stamina issues

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
connordalto

Bronze

Strategy for hurdling stamina issues

Postby connordalto » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi all,
What are your strategies/methods for overcoming a decrease in testing stamina/focus? As I have been moving into the 5 section PT phase I have been noticing that my performance tends to decline on later RC/LR sections. I dont want this to be even remotely a factor on test day.

I dont think its an accuracy issue because I do consistently much better on individual LR/RC sections (as well as those earlier on the test), as opposed to those that I do after the break.

I have been just taking some deep breaths between questions, but this hasn't helped too much. I have also tried taking 6 section PTs, but I still seem to fizzle out around section 5. Am going to experiment with caffeine during the break and see if this helps at all.

Any tips/insights on how you overcame this? Thanks, much appreciated.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Re: Strategy for hurdling stamina issues

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 pm

I personally found that just taking a bunch of individual timed sections helped me with taking the entire thing, as far as stamina goes. When the individual sections didn't affect my stamina, then them being combined didn't.

Try not holding your breath if you're doing that too (I would do this sometimes during RC). Regular, somewhat deep breaths. Basically try to make it so that no individual section feels stressful.

I'm somewhat surprised that you do "much more" poorly on the sections after the break. I'd expect that 15 minutes would be enough of a recharge. How much worse are we talking?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:05 pm

connordalto wrote:Hi all,
What are your strategies/methods for overcoming a decrease in testing stamina/focus? As I have been moving into the 5 section PT phase I have been noticing that my performance tends to decline on later RC/LR sections. I dont want this to be even remotely a factor on test day.

I dont think its an accuracy issue because I do consistently much better on individual LR/RC sections (as well as those earlier on the test), as opposed to those that I do after the break.

I have been just taking some deep breaths between questions, but this hasn't helped too much. I have also tried taking 6 section PTs, but I still seem to fizzle out around section 5. Am going to experiment with caffeine during the break and see if this helps at all.

Any tips/insights on how you overcame this? Thanks, much appreciated.

I think deep breathing is very useful for de-stressing and regaining focus, but it's much more effective if you practice basic mindfulness and meditation exercises for at least 15 minutes per day. That basic daily practice can strengthen the connection between deep breathing and focus + relaxation. I'd suggest trying to devote some time to that for at least a few weeks and see if it makes a different.

I'd also suggest optimizing your snack for the break after section 3. Experiment and try different things. My perfect snack was two granola bars and half a can of Red Bull. Also, get into the habit of stretching during your break.

I wouldn't suggest doing 6 section tests, especially if you're struggling to finish 5.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:22 am

For some alternative advice: If you're serious about improving stamina, you should train by doing more than just 5 sections in a row. Stack PTs on top of each other, back to back. When I was studying, I did 8 sections tests (2 PTs back to back without experimentals) with the 15 minute break in between. It will be very hard at first, and you might do poorly in the beginning, but if you space out these endurance tests with enough recovery time, you will jump your current plateau, guaranteed. Just be careful to avoid burnout.

For a point of reference, I jumped almost 30 points from my diagnostic to score in the upper 170s. If you're serious about 'hurdling' your stamina issues, turn up the heat and push beyond what you'll be expected to do on test day. Best of luck!

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Kaziende wrote:For some alternative advice: If you're serious about improving stamina, you should train by doing more than just 5 sections in a row. Stack PTs on top of each other, back to back. When I was studying, I did 8 sections tests (2 PTs back to back without experimentals) with the 15 minute break in between. It will be very hard at first, and you might do poorly in the beginning, but if you space out these endurance tests with enough recovery time, you will jump your current plateau, guaranteed. Just be careful to avoid burnout.

For a point of reference, I jumped almost 30 points from my diagnostic to score in the upper 170s. If you're serious about 'hurdling' your stamina issues, turn up the heat and push beyond what you'll be expected to do on test day. Best of luck!

I don't think OP asked for advice from a TTT beta.

8)

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I did 2 PT's back to back (8 sections total) with one short break halfway through. I think it helped, and test day felt like a breeze.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:45 am

Shakawkaw wrote:I don't think OP asked for advice from a TTT beta.

8)

*hangs head* I'll see myself out.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:05 pm

SweetTort wrote:I did 2 PT's back to back (8 sections total) with one short break halfway through. I think it helped, and test day felt like a breeze.

I want to eventually do this but I'm afraid to be too fatigued during the second PT that it'll be a waste of a PT (excluding review)

I can do 4 section PTs without getting too tired now, 5 section PTs I get tired with the last section but still manage to get though. would you say I should increase the number of sections gradually before going into two PTs back to back?

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Mikey wrote:
SweetTort wrote:I did 2 PT's back to back (8 sections total) with one short break halfway through. I think it helped, and test day felt like a breeze.

I want to eventually do this but I'm afraid to be too fatigued during the second PT that it'll be a waste of a PT (excluding review)

I can do 4 section PTs without getting too tired now, 5 section PTs I get tired with the last section but still manage to get though. would you say I should increase the number of sections gradually before going into two PTs back to back?

Yeah I did six section PTs before I jumped to 8.

Kaziende

Bronze

Postby Kaziende » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Same. Also, if you're worried about wasting fresh material, consider doing retake PTs in the second slot. Like, first 4 sections as a fresh PT, then retake one that you didn't do so well on, but reviewed thoroughly. It's absolutely not a waste of time to retake PTs. It reinforces the work you did in review, and it strengthens your instincts for similar questions on fresh tests.

connordalto

Bronze

Postby connordalto » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Kaziende wrote:Same. Also, if you're worried about wasting fresh material, consider doing retake PTs in the second slot. Like, first 4 sections as a fresh PT, then retake one that you didn't do so well on, but reviewed thoroughly. It's absolutely not a waste of time to retake PTs. It reinforces the work you did in review, and it strengthens your instincts for similar questions on fresh tests.

Did this today... was strong on the first seven but the eigth sucked haha. But overall thanks for the help guys, I think my big issue was just getting used to the 5 sections in general. Feeling much better about my endurance now.

Also as far as caffeine, in case this helps, I now have some before, and then during section 3/the break when I start getting tired. This and a good breakfast has been coming in clutch for me.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:38 pm

^ This. Really helps build mental muscle and stamina. Occasionally I'd extend the 15 minute break to 30 minutes if I felt that I was starving and really needed get a quick meal. I think the extra break time is negligible giving 8 sections, two sets of which are 4 back to back.

Short of the 8 section approach, when you drill sections do 3 in row sections then go back an review. Ultimately 3 multiple choice sections at the beginning of the test will be the biggest hurdle, so just replicate that when you are not taking full PT's

Ilovemydogxo

New

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:05 am

What worked for me taking my dog for a longer walk each morning.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�