Should I study for the LSAT or the GRE first? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Which exam to study for first

LSAT first
100%
GRE first
No votes

Total votes: 2

TXguy2016

New

Should I study for the LSAT or the GRE first?

Post by TXguy2016 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello,

I am a test taker seeking extra time accommodations for the LSAT (I do not wish to get into the debate of the fairness of accommodated testing here....I have a rare condition (only saying this so that no assumptions are made as to what I have as I do not care to disclose here)

I have received extra time accommodations in college, but I want to increase my chances of getting extended LSAT time. Per LSAC's policy if a student receives an accommodation in another standardized test, they will receive an identical or equivalent accommodation on the LSAT (http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodate ... mmodations)

I am debating the merits of whether to study for the GRE and in need of advice....Should I apply for the GRE accommodations and solely LSAT study and take the LSAT after receiving GRE accommodations? Or should I apply for GRE accommodations and study for the GRE before taking the LSAT?

Two arguments I can think of favor studying for the GRE. 1. It might help me be a better LSAT taker (weaker of the two arguments as I know the verbal section is not quite the same as the LSAT) 2. if I took the GRE seriously, I could go beyond the point of taking the exam just to get LSAT accommodations, and I could have the advantage of having a good score (or a presumably better score than not studying at all) to keep options other than law school in play in case i go down a different path.

Thanks!

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Should I study for the LSAT or the GRE first?

Post by Mikey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Did you get accommodations for the SAT or ACT? if so, you should be fine for the LSAT since they take into account the SAT/ACT accommodations.

TXguy2016

New

Post by TXguy2016 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:15 pm

No, my condition started in college, so I did not get extra time on the SAT or ACT

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:33 pm

LSAT

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:22 pm

TXguy2016 wrote:Hello,

I am a test taker seeking extra time accommodations for the LSAT (I do not wish to get into the debate of the fairness of accommodated testing here....I have a rare condition (only saying this so that no assumptions are made as to what I have as I do not care to disclose here)

I have received extra time accommodations in college, but I want to increase my chances of getting extended LSAT time. Per LSAC's policy if a student receives an accommodation in another standardized test, they will receive an identical or equivalent accommodation on the LSAT (http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodate ... mmodations)

I am debating the merits of whether to study for the GRE and in need of advice....Should I apply for the GRE accommodations and solely LSAT study and take the LSAT after receiving GRE accommodations? Or should I apply for GRE accommodations and study for the GRE before taking the LSAT?

Two arguments I can think of favor studying for the GRE. 1. It might help me be a better LSAT taker (weaker of the two arguments as I know the verbal section is not quite the same as the LSAT) 2. if I took the GRE seriously, I could go beyond the point of taking the exam just to get LSAT accommodations, and I could have the advantage of having a good score (or a presumably better score than not studying at all) to keep options other than law school in play in case i go down a different path.

Thanks!
Have studied and taken both, improving on the LSAT is significantly more time consuming than improving on the GRE. That's not an indication of how difficult each of them are, just that the GRE was easier to improve upon IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”