The passage "states", general RC question

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

The passage "states", general RC question

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Hello, for the questions in RC that ask "The passage *states", say for example, "The passage states that the mechanisms", is it a given that the word mechanisms is somewhere to be found in the passage?

Or can it be a word or idea synonymous (or close enough) with mechanisms? I'm just wondering if I should be more specific when referring back looking for the correct answer, or if this is more like the questions that ask, the "passage *suggests", in which case when referring back I should be more general in my search (not looking for the word mechanisms).

Thanks

theboringest

Bronze

Re: The passage "states", general RC question

Postby theboringest » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:Hello, for the questions in RC that ask "The passage *states", say for example, "The passage states that the mechanisms", is it a given that the word mechanisms is somewhere to be found in the passage?

Or can it be a word or idea synonymous (or close enough) with mechanisms? I'm just wondering if I should be more specific when referring back looking for the correct answer, or if this is more like the questions that ask, the "passage *suggests", in which case when referring back I should be more general in my search (not looking for the word mechanisms).

Thanks

It's not a given that there is that exact word, but there will be one very similar- with your example of "mechanisms" the passage might mention something about processes, systems, etc. That's part of the challenge.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks.

Okay, if that's the case though, can it still be a general idea?

Say, two paragraphs describe two different mechanisms, one each, could an acceptable answer choice for the question in my original post fit the mold of something along the lines of "Two mechanisms have different characteristics."

Or even though the exact word in the question isn't necessarily found in the passage, is the correct answer choice generally still a statement (so like one line), and therefore wouldn't be something like the summary of two paragraphs?

gwillygecko

Bronze

Postby gwillygecko » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:46 pm

yes it can be an idea.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�