Lr Drilling approach Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Destiny0921

New

Lr Drilling approach

Post by Destiny0921 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:57 am

Hey guys! Was wondering what Approach you guys use to drill? I have the Cambridge LR packet. How many do questions do you do a day? And do you just go from one to the end of the packet In order? If any one has an approach they use or insight on how they drill please share!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Lr Drilling approach

Post by SunDevil14 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:29 am

Some of the methods I use:

-Drill by question type. If I was weak in a question type then I would photocopy ever question of that type from the book I was using, and do them one at a time. I would really spend as long as needed to answer the question to the best of my ability. After which I would check the answer, and see where I went wrong, and why X was a better answer than Y. Usually 50-100 questions depending on the question type.

-Drill sections. Do a complete timed section. A lot of the time I would place more difficult timing restrictions like 32 minutes. After completing the section, I would do a blind review (returning to question where I was not 100% sure, and either change or final the answer). After I did the blind review I used the process above when I checked the answer.

*During the untimed portions such as the blind review and drill by question type, I would take additional time to diagram and notate questions (which I almost never do under timed conditions).

-Write out explanations. I have not used this method but many of this site swear by it. Although it is quite time consuming, the idea is to write out explanations for each answer choice on question on which you found difficult or got wrong. So, you'd write out in a few sentences, "A is wrong because..., B is right because..."

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: Lr Drilling approach

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Destiny0921 wrote:Hey guys! Was wondering what Approach you guys use to drill? I have the Cambridge LR packet. How many do questions do you do a day? And do you just go from one to the end of the packet In order? If any one has an approach they use or insight on how they drill please share!
There are lots of different ways to drill questions, and it really depends on how long you have prepped and what you're trying to focus on. For example, when s student is new to a specific question type, I think it's best to move through each practice question extremely slowly, focusing on following the strategic approach step-by-step. Once a student has done this enough times, the strategy becomes internalized, and they can naturally complete it much faster.

Drilling specific question types is a great idea, because it allows you to see the similarities and patterns between different examples. The more tricks you discover, the less likely you are to be duped by them in the future. And going through a bunch of examples in a row is really good for your confidence. Students tend to develop an aversion to the q.types that they struggle with - forcing yourself to confront them head on is the only way to overcome this.

Drilling complete sections is also a useful prep strategy. Before I started taking timed preptests, I built up my endurance by doing timed sections. I progressively started doing more timed sections in a row - first 2, then 3, then 4, and finally 5. I found it way less stressful and intimidating to build up to full 5 section PTs than to jump right into doing them.

Ultimately, however, careful review is the key to getting the most out of doing practice problems, whether we're talking about drills or full PTs. Go over each question you got wrong slowly and carefully - read each answer choice and try to explain why it doesn't work.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”