Balance PTs with section drills

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Balance PTs with section drills

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 pm

I have taken 2 PTs one week apart and the results have been mixed relative to my goal. I believe I still need to drill sections (LR, LG, and RC), especially since I have a minor timing issue. It used to be worse, but it has improved.

If I am still drilling sections, should I hold off simulated PTs? I am trying to find a balance between PTing, reviewing the PT, and drilling sections.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Balance PTs with section drills

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:53 pm

My personal preference is doing a few PT's and then drilling, that way I get a bigger picture of where my issues are and where to drill. Typically I'd do 3 PT's and review them in about a week or so, and then spend the next week drilling.

The closer I get to test day, and with a better awareness of some stubborn issues I usually follow a pattern of doing a PT/Review followed by a day or two of drilling.

I do not so too much of an issue of really focusing on drilling so long as the exam day is in the distance. Pluggin and Chuggin PT's can be problematic if one is not thoroughly reviewing and improving weakness after the tests.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:22 am

PT-ing about once a week and intensely drilling timed sections during the week in between PTs and PT review worked for me. Depends on the person, but I think it's best to mix the two after a certain point (ie don't do just PTs or just do timed sections.)

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:35 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:I have taken 2 PTs one week apart and the results have been mixed relative to my goal. I believe I still need to drill sections (LR, LG, and RC), especially since I have a minor timing issue. It used to be worse, but it has improved.

If I am still drilling sections, should I hold off simulated PTs? I am trying to find a balance between PTing, reviewing the PT, and drilling sections.

I definitely support the idea of mixing the two. It's hard to focus on improving specific areas if you're only taking full PTs. Similarly, it's hard to test your timing and endurance and to get a sense of how you might do on the actual LSAT without taking full PTs.

It's up to you as to how exactly you want to plan your schedule. I'd advise doing plenty of drilling in between your scheduled preptests, and using the insights you gained from reviewing to decide which specific areas to focus on.

Ilovemydogxo

New

Postby Ilovemydogxo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Weigh your PTs on a scale. That's the amount of section drills you need to balance it out.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 am

Ilovemydogxo wrote:Weigh your PTs on a scale. That's the amount of section drills you need to balance it out.

:lol:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�