Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
t14orbust22

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby t14orbust22 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 pm

I took the June LSAT and scored a 160 and was very disappointed in myself, since my goal is to get into a T14 school. Since then I have been studying religiously for 3-4 hours a day and working full time, but I haven't even considered my application because I figure its no use applying to a T14 law school with my GPA (3.3) without an LSAT score of 168+ (goal is 170). Anyways, I have been finally prep testing more in the range that I was looking for (168-170) had been postponing registering for December, and when I logged on to register on Monday the December LSAT deadline is already over. I feel like a complete moron for not checking this earlier. I even called LSAC and they would not make an exception.

So now I'm in a real mess. I have been reading mixed things about whether taking the February LSAT for same year admission is even worth it. They say your chances go down, especially if applying for T14 schools like I would be, especially with my low GPA I need a high LSAT. To add to that, I have barely started my application, as I've been so concerned with my LSAT score that I wanted to feel confident in that before applying and getting my application immediately thrown in the trash. Also, money is a big concern for me and its my understanding that there is little to no scholarship money left by that point. And to add a cherry on top, I would be 27 if I started law school in 2017 (already feeling old), and if I wait another year, I'll be even older.

For those here more experienced in this process than I, what are your suggestions? My target schools are Northwestern or Michigan, which both say they take the February LSAT for same year admission. Would it be best for me to sit (yet another) year out, or do I stand even a remote chance of taking the February LSAT, getting my application materials assembled before the Feb 15th deadline for Northwestern and Michigan, and still possibly get an okay scholarship, assuming the LSAT works out for me? Has anyone ever been in this situation, or known someone who has and its worked out for?

User avatar
21157015576609

Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby 21157015576609 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:32 pm

Is there a reason for you not to apply this cycle? If you don't get the school/financial aid you're looking for, you can always re-apply next year with your February LSAT.

User avatar
studyingeveryday

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby studyingeveryday » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:42 pm

I haven't been in that exact situation, but i took the LSAT December last year to apply last cycle, and it didn't work out. I'm applying this cycle, and I can't believe how long my apps are taking--so first off, be aware that apps probably going to take at least a month to work on your personal statement and other essays (it's been taking me much longer). At least start thinking about PS ideas if you haven't yet.

If you really want to apply this cycle, you can also just apply before your February score comes out so the schools at least have your app ready and can just wait. If you don't get a decision/scholly you want, i guess you can reapply next year, but I have no idea what the reapplication process is like so definitely have someone with that experience help you out there.

But, I personally think it's okay if you wait another year. Do amazing on the February LSAT, spend the whole summer perfecting your apps, then submit on September 1. I didn't even realize I could work on apps in the summer and here I am still haven't submitted. There are a good number of people who start law school at 28 or older here, so you shouldn't worry about that too much, I think.

Again, none of this besides how long apps take are from my experience, but based on what I've read here, I think doing great in February, and submitting September 1 next cycle is a great game plan. If you still want to apply this cycle, go for it just to see what happens, but please find out what the reapplication process is like first. Good luck!

User avatar
potus

Bronze
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby potus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Most if not all top law schools are probably unlikely with February scores. But there's still quite a few of mid schools that take Feb. scores like Fordham, Cardozo, GMU. Looking similarly for folks who did apply w/ February and got into the cycle in case I don't do well in December.

Sure I can take February and wait for the next cycle but that's another full year that I'll have to fill.

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:51 pm

potus wrote:Most if not all top law schools are probably unlikely with February scores. But there's still quite a few of mid schools that take Feb. scores like Fordham, Cardozo, GMU. Looking similarly for folks who did apply w/ February and got into the cycle in case I don't do well in December.

Sure I can take February and wait for the next cycle but that's another full year that I'll have to fill.


I took the test this February, and like you stated above, I was able to get accepted into quite a few mid tier schools and good regional schools like Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio State, etc. Additionally I got a half tuition scholarship or a tad more at the schools I listed. (GPA 3.83 Lsat 160). I have chosen to retake in December. As for the T14, even if schools accept February scores, I believe such a late score puts you at a competitive disadvantage for acceptance and scholarships.

laggyking

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby laggyking » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:00 am

if you really want to get into t14, wait one more year then. its not a big deal, imagine how many different experiences you can get in this year.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:11 pm

21157015576609 wrote:Is there a reason for you not to apply this cycle? If you don't get the school/financial aid you're looking for, you can always re-apply next year with your February LSAT.

3.3/160 isn't going to get the OP into their target schools though (no disrespect meant, OP).

That said, I think the above applies for taking the February LSAT - you can always apply to the schools that will take February and see what happens, and if you don't get what you want, re-apply next year. The risk in that is that you get emotionally set on going this year, and maybe settle for something other than what you really want so as not to have to put stuff off. So personally I'd suggest just waiting till next year (was way older than you when I went to law school, age isn't an issue).

User avatar
chasima

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby chasima » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:16 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blueprint Mithun

Bronze
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Do I have a chance for 2017 if I take the Feb 2017 LSAT?

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:32 pm

t14orbust22 wrote:I took the June LSAT and scored a 160 and was very disappointed in myself, since my goal is to get into a T14 school. Since then I have been studying religiously for 3-4 hours a day and working full time, but I haven't even considered my application because I figure its no use applying to a T14 law school with my GPA (3.3) without an LSAT score of 168+ (goal is 170). Anyways, I have been finally prep testing more in the range that I was looking for (168-170) had been postponing registering for December, and when I logged on to register on Monday the December LSAT deadline is already over. I feel like a complete moron for not checking this earlier. I even called LSAC and they would not make an exception.

So now I'm in a real mess. I have been reading mixed things about whether taking the February LSAT for same year admission is even worth it. They say your chances go down, especially if applying for T14 schools like I would be, especially with my low GPA I need a high LSAT. To add to that, I have barely started my application, as I've been so concerned with my LSAT score that I wanted to feel confident in that before applying and getting my application immediately thrown in the trash. Also, money is a big concern for me and its my understanding that there is little to no scholarship money left by that point. And to add a cherry on top, I would be 27 if I started law school in 2017 (already feeling old), and if I wait another year, I'll be even older.

For those here more experienced in this process than I, what are your suggestions? My target schools are Northwestern or Michigan, which both say they take the February LSAT for same year admission. Would it be best for me to sit (yet another) year out, or do I stand even a remote chance of taking the February LSAT, getting my application materials assembled before the Feb 15th deadline for Northwestern and Michigan, and still possibly get an okay scholarship, assuming the LSAT works out for me? Has anyone ever been in this situation, or known someone who has and its worked out for?


Given your GPA, I think applying that late in the cycle would make it pretty tough to guarantee T14 admissions without a solid 170+ LSAT score. You're definitely at something of a competitive disadvantage applying with a Feb LSAT score, not to mention that some schools simply won't accept it. Another thing to consider is that you'll need to have your entire application ready, and it takes time to get letters of recommendation and write out a personal statement that you feel comfortable with. Try to cram that all together while also studying for the LSAT can be pretty stressful - it's doable, but definitely isn't easy.

I think going to the best law school you can attend is more important that feeling slightly old going into law school. That being said, I totally understand your predicament, and I'd advise you to shoot for February and focus on prepping while also setting aside a consistent amount of time to work on your application. If your score is 3+ points away from your target score, consider waiting until next cycle, but otherwise, definitely go for it and see what happens. You can always try again next cycle if it doesn't work out.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests