Motivation for those struggling

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Motivation for those struggling

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:11 pm

I reached 163 after starting at 148 earlier in the year, a new record! For me, the fight is not over yet.

Remember this insight despite doubts from within: FOCUS DOES PAYOFF. Make sure you are measuring your progress and fine-tuning your strategy. Best of luck!

"Diligence is the mother of good luck." - Benjamin Franklin

EmelyM23

New

Re: Motivation for those struggling

Postby EmelyM23 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Can I ask how long did it take you. I started my LSAT studying for the June 2017 exam. I know I'm early but I want to find my weak points early in the game and improve. Improvement takes time. What materials did you use etc?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Not to outdo op but I went from 142 to 174-177 on the real test. It took me a full year, 200 practice tests (I repeated each at least three times) and a lot of time. But you can do it.

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:57 pm

grades?? wrote:Not to outdo op but I went from 142 to 174-177 on the real test. It took me a full year, 200 practice tests (I repeated each at least three times) and a lot of time. But you can do it.

Holy Shit!! That is awesome man!! I'm in a similar boat as you. I started at 141 but I'm still studying. How long did it take until you were starting to see results? Were you consistent with your studying or did the study on and off throughout? What resources, study methods did you use? How did you measure your progress? Were you still in school or working full/part time?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:03 pm

grades?? wrote:Not to outdo op but I went from 142 to 174-177 on the real test. It took me a full year, 200 practice tests (I repeated each at least three times) and a lot of time. But you can do it.

Thats monster! Congrats! I am in the process of doing the same.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 pm

cm4998 wrote:

Holy Shit!! That is awesome man!! I'm in a similar boat as you. I started at 141 but I'm still studying. How long did it take until you were starting to see results? Were you consistent with your studying or did the study on and off throughout? What resources, study methods did you use? How did you measure your progress? Were you still in school or working full/part time?

It was mostly phases. Getting to my first lsat to 160 was a few months. Getting from mid 160s to mid 170s was 6 months. I was pretty consistent, with the most work done in the first 3-4 months and then the last 5 months. I used the books etc to learn, but honestly I got a friend to teach me games. Once I had a consistent system for games, then it was a matter of literally learning the test. For me, that took 200 full practice tests. I was in graduate school full time. I would be in school/teaching until 6-7 pm. Go home, make dinner, go back to school for a full test and then review 2-3 sections. During breakfast, I would review the other few sections. Some days I would do 2 tests in a row or a full test with no breaks, just to really be ready my third retake.

It was a long journey. But this test is literally a matter of hard work. I worked harder for this test than probably anything in my life before. But just keep grinding. It might take months to see progress, but it will come.

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:30 pm

grades?? wrote:
cm4998 wrote:

It was mostly phases. Getting to my first lsat to 160 was a few months. Getting from mid 160s to mid 170s was 6 months. I was pretty consistent, with the most work done in the first 3-4 months and then the last 5 months. I used the books etc to learn, but honestly I got a friend to teach me games. Once I had a consistent system for games, then it was a matter of literally learning the test. For me, that took 200 full practice tests. I was in graduate school full time. I would be in school/teaching until 6-7 pm. Go home, make dinner, go back to school for a full test and then review 2-3 sections. During breakfast, I would review the other few sections. Some days I would do 2 tests in a row or a full test with no breaks, just to really be ready my third retake.

It was a long journey. But this test is literally a matter of hard work. I worked harder for this test than probably anything in my life before. But just keep grinding. It might take months to see progress, but it will come.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! That must have been pretty hard balancing it all out while still in grad school. How many hours a day would you average out? How many days a week?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:35 pm

cm4998 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
cm4998 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! That must have been pretty hard balancing it all out while still in grad school. How many hours a day would you average out? How many days a week?

3-4 hours a day on weekdays, 6-8 hours on weekends. It was 4-5 days during the week days and 1 of the 2 days of the weekend. It sucked. But it paid off (significantly). You just gotta set your priorities. I gave up a lot of things in grad school I would have liked to do but couldn't in order to get that score.

cm4998

New

Postby cm4998 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:06 am

grades?? wrote:
cm4998 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
cm4998 wrote:

3-4 hours a day on weekdays, 6-8 hours on weekends. It was 4-5 days during the week days and 1 of the 2 days of the weekend. It sucked. But it paid off (significantly). You just gotta set your priorities. I gave up a lot of things in grad school I would have liked to do but couldn't in order to get that score.

Being that 142 is a low score, mine being 141, what were your big weaknesses that were preventing you from getting into the 160s? In the beginning, I struggled with fundamental things like reading the arguments, for example, as I was reading for comprehension instead of analyzing arguments and assumptions. Also, focus was a big one for me. I just didn't have a framework when approaching the questions. Sorry for all the questions btw lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�