Reading-based errors

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Reading-based errors

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:20 pm

To follow Mike Kim's distinction, reading ability is where my weakness is. It's not terrible, but almost all the questions I get wrong on LR are because of imprecise reading or comprehension. When I review LR sections, should I focus on writing out the argument core? Or should I also spend more time reading dense material, like philosophy, novels, etc. (which is something I enjoy)?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: Reading-based errors

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:41 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:To follow Mike Kim's distinction, reading ability is where my weakness is. It's not terrible, but almost all the questions I get wrong on LR are because of imprecise reading or comprehension. When I review LR sections, should I focus on writing out the argument core? Or should I also spend more time reading dense material, like philosophy, novels, etc. (which is something I enjoy)?

Reading dense material in my spare time over a period of several months helped me tremendously.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Postby WeightliftingThinker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:35 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote:To follow Mike Kim's distinction, reading ability is where my weakness is. It's not terrible, but almost all the questions I get wrong on LR are because of imprecise reading or comprehension. When I review LR sections, should I focus on writing out the argument core? Or should I also spend more time reading dense material, like philosophy, novels, etc. (which is something I enjoy)?

Reading dense material in my spare time over a period of several months helped me tremendously.

What did you specifically read?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:39 pm

I read articles like the Economist, WSJ, and tried to get myself to read the scientific american (science is my weakness). Econ &WSJ came easier to me because its more interesting to me.

Books wise, I read Fountainhead and Complete series of Sherlock Holmes this summer. It doesn't matter what you read as long as it is denser than LSAT material. There is a topic on this forum where I and a bunch of others listed off great reading lists. Take a look at it. It should help you out -- sorry I don't have the link handy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�