Does conditionality denote correlation or no?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack Obama 2.0

New

Does conditionality denote correlation or no?

Postby Barack Obama 2.0 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Do conditional statements denote correlation? I ask because I just wrote PT53, and I had trouble eliminating a PR question (PT53.S1.Q.19). I thought that the argument matched the correlation/causation method of reasoning in the question stem but eliminated it on the account that the premise included conditional language (despite seemingly demonstrating correlation) but the premise in the original argument didn't. Thoughts?

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Does conditionality denote correlation or no?

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:Do conditional statements denote correlation? I ask because I just wrote PT53, and I had trouble eliminating a PR question (PT53.S1.Q.19). I thought that the argument matched the correlation/causation method of reasoning in the question stem but eliminated it on the account that the premise included conditional language (despite seemingly demonstrating correlation) but the premise in the original argument didn't. Thoughts?

I just cracked open my copy of PT53. I could be wrong but I read the stimulus as containing a conditional statement statement rather than causation/correlation even though the typical if then language is absent. I believe that there is a subtle shift in the stimulus from an "existing" group of people in the premise section (some people) to a "hypothetical" group of people in the conclusion (most people). So rather than correlating 2 existing groups of people, the argument claims that hypothetical group that follows the course of action of an existing group will probably get similar results. I believe that the same move is made in the correct answer.

I hope that helps and makes sense.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�